Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

21 Muns posted:

Alex Hirsch has apparently dubbed over Louis C. K.'s cameo in Gravity Falls for all future airings. Curious if more people will take this tack for outed perverts who've done voice acting. He was fired from Secret Life Of Pets 2, but if Illumination really wants credibility, they're going to make an alternate version of the first movie. A Spacey-free A Bug's Life would also be nice.

Why, spacey played the villain
Also he was amazing at it

Seriously, at what point do we become like george lucas, constantly tinkering with old movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

Why, spacey played the villain
Also he was amazing at it

Seriously, at what point do we become like george lucas, constantly tinkering with old movies?

I don't like tinkering with old movies.

But, I really like wiping these shitbags out of exitence.

It's a fair trade.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chili posted:

I don't like tinkering with old movies.

But, I really like wiping these shitbags out of exitence.

It's a fair trade.

What if we put out new versions of the movies where you could switch from the new one that replaces Spacey to the old version? But when you chose to play that version the dvd player shoots the disc out at high speed and it hits you in the dick for choosing to keep supporting that piece of poo poo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Legit question: let's say Kevin Spacey was removed from A Bug's Life, and had his work dubbed over. Would he still get residuals for each sale of the movie, post removal? That seems like a tricky place to be, contractually. Like on one hand his presence is no longer in the material, but on the other I would assume that when he originally signed on part of his contract stipulated residual sales in perpetuity.

The reason I ask is between Louis C.K. being retroactively removed from Gravity Falls, and Spacey being torched from All The Money In The World, it seems like the replacement of disgraced actors will be a continuing trend.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wonder if Disney will do the same with Miller in Big Hero 6 (forgot who he even played) and CK in Inside Out (Anger)?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Rirse posted:

Wonder if Disney will do the same with Miller in Big Hero 6 (forgot who he even played) and CK in Inside Out (Anger)?

Fortunately, Anger was Lewis Black, not CK. I've met Black a few times, and while he is definitely a bitter old man, that seems to be all he is.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Most friends I've talked to don't believe the accusations against Miller. I blame his Wikipedia page. :(

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

21 Muns posted:

Most friends I've talked to don't believe the accusations against Miller. I blame his Wikipedia page. :(

hey man, Wikipedia is a publicly editable webpage, be the change you want to see in the world.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

21 Muns posted:

Why are you so worried about Wikipedia? Regular people do not get their sexual assault allegation news from Wikipedia.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

GrandpaPants posted:

Replace TJ Miller with Terry Crews.

That poo poo would be dope as hell.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

sleep with the vicious posted:

Ok dude, good luck being shocked by all the sex assault news to come.

I'm not surprised at all by the amount of rapists and predators in Hollywood. My issue was with your claim that Ridley Scott was complicit in covering them up. It's entirely possible that actors don't gossip about this stuff with powerful players like Scott, Spielberg, etc. for fear of being blacklisted as a "drama queens," which is another problem in and of itself.

viral spiral fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 21, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Movie fans have a weird thing with being okay with watching films containing/made by very bad people which is probably a whole separate discussion that will get this thread nuked. Small animation jobs and films in production are way easier to modify than larger scale projects so I expect this will be somewhat rare but I am betting they will reshoot Deadpool 2. Eventually some studio is going to get burned by losing so much money people with reputations but no clear accusations will start finding it harder to get work. That might take a while and it will probably go through cycles as this industry attracts a lot of awful people that will replace the current crop of awful people.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Chili posted:

Fortunately, Anger was Lewis Black, not CK. I've met Black a few times, and while he is definitely a bitter old man, that seems to be all he is.

You're right. How I mix those two up then?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Rirse posted:

Hell, TJ Miller was a main character in Gravity Falls too. So that's another voice that needs to be dubbed over.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Replace everyone with Terry Crews.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'm very against retroactively editing people out of stuff that's already out there. It's Stalinesque.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Family guy was making fun of spacey and Weinstein years ago. People knew and acting like it's all a surprise is a joke. Its like people that are shocked, shocked to find out athletes are doping - come the gently caress on

The FAMILY GUY joke was around an urban legend and the Weinstein joke was as Seth had said, because his friend told him about her experience.

Until the Anthony Rapp stuff the rumour around Spacey was that he was very closeted but also a known letch. Sure, it's questionable behaviour but it doesn't make anyone complicit in crimes just because they hire him. For all anyone knows he could've been the most delightful and well-behaved actor on that set.

Did 'Hollywood' know that Weinstein raped Rose McGowan? I'd say that chances are they didn't. I know people like to pretend that if one person knows then everyone knows but that's not how poo poo works. Just because you know a rumour about your boss, doesn't mean that your co-worker does.

I think that what a lot of people 'heard' is closer to what Clooney had said, which is that this stuff always seemed intended to demean actresses. So it's never about Weinstein perhaps forcing women to gently caress him, it's that so and so hosed Harvey Weinstein.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

porfiria posted:

I'm very against retroactively editing people out of stuff that's already out there. It's Stalinesque.

In general I am too. Reshooting is fine and I don't know, maybe for kids movies/tv/whatever in the right context. As much as these people are reprehensible, an erase them from history thing just seems like an ugly road to start seriously going down.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
If it were, say, Disney corporate mandating editing actors out of stuff I'd be more against it. Alex Hirsch editing Gravity Falls seems to be their choice, which I'm more okay with?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

This piece by the way, is a great response for anyone who says "why didn't people come forward sooner".

http://uproxx.com/life/sexual-harassment-waiting/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a new big hero 6 cartoon which I assume TJ Miller doesn't voice his own character on, they could just use that a soundalike voice actor in the sequel or to replace him.

Barring that, if it is in fact already the same actor, I feel like in any voice work you want you could replace TJ Miller with Jason Lee and no one would know.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The good news is that nobody gives a poo poo about TJ Miller, so he will be immediately replaced in every project he's a part of.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

The good news is that nobody gives a poo poo about TJ Miller, so he will be immediately replaced in every project he's a part of.

Seriously.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

He did own in Silicon Valley, but thankfully hes no longer a part of that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I literally had never heard of TJ Miller until I saw Deadpool.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
TJ Miller is literally broke brained. He had a huge chunk of his frontal lobe surgically excised while filming Yogi Bear because it was malformed, causing seizures and, in his words, erratic behaviour. Apparently his personality and attitude changed drastically after the surgery.

I'm saying this more as trivia at this point, and not at all to excuse him. He's a huge piece of poo poo and the why is irrelevant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Not Operator posted:

TJ Miller is literally broke brained. He had a huge chunk of his frontal lobe surgically excised while filming Yogi Bear because it was malformed, causing seizures and, in his words, erratic behaviour. Apparently his personality and attitude changed drastically after the surgery.

I'm saying this more as trivia at this point, and not at all to excuse him. He's a huge piece of poo poo and the why is irrelevant.

These stories go back to his college days though. Specifically the one about how he battered and choked one of his girlfriends to the point that she felt she had been raped.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I think his implication in the interview about it was that the personality change was for the better and he was a huge piece of poo poo before.

I dunno, like I said, it doesn't excuse his behaviour. I just thought it might help some people square away their thoughts about him - If you thought he came off as an rear end in a top hat, so did basically everyone who knew him.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I just really disagree with the premise that 'nobody knew', or it was pretty hidden. The term 'casting couch' has been around forever for a reason, the Bryan Singer stuff was known for a decade+ and he kept getting major mainstream work, and of course stuff like Whoopi Goldberg defining a difference between 'rape' and 'real rape'.

I'm not sure what I make of this analogy but maybe sexual harassment is having its drunk driving moment, in that culturally it has finally turned the page to being unacceptable in a rapid fashion.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Whoopi Goldberg's terminology is "rape" vs "rape rape"

As in "Sure it was rape, but it wasn't rape rape"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A lot of people have this idea in their head that being raped by some random guy on the street is automatically more traumatizing than if it's done by someone you know and thought you liked. It's actually just two slightly different kinds of trauma that can be equally horrific depending on the person, and it's pointless(at best) to make broad generalizations about which kind of assault is worse.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Not Operator posted:

He had a huge chunk of his frontal lobe surgically excised while filming Yogi Bear

...nvm, it’s too easy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I just really disagree with the premise that 'nobody knew', or it was pretty hidden. The term 'casting couch' has been around forever for a reason, the Bryan Singer stuff was known for a decade+ and he kept getting major mainstream work, and of course stuff like Whoopi Goldberg defining a difference between 'rape' and 'real rape'.

I'm not sure what I make of this analogy but maybe sexual harassment is having its drunk driving moment, in that culturally it has finally turned the page to being unacceptable in a rapid fashion.

The problem is that you're talking about thousands of people in an industry, at varying levels and with varying interests.

You're also hearing things so far removed from the people involved that its hard to know whether to take it seriously. I knew that Spacey was a letch because I knew people who worked at the Old Vic. But that's way different than hearing something eighth or ninth hand.

Of course everyone knows the casting couch exists and hey, there are people who do take to it willingly. As gross as we might find something like that, it's easier to wave away as saying well, they're adults and they understood what they were getting into. Weinstein and his actions were far more insidious than that.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Shoombo posted:

If it were, say, Disney corporate mandating editing actors out of stuff I'd be more against it. Alex Hirsch editing Gravity Falls seems to be their choice, which I'm more okay with?

I am okay with what Disney did, but they did in fact "corporate mandate editing actors out of stuff".

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Not Operator posted:

I think his implication in the interview about it was that the personality change was for the better and he was a huge piece of poo poo before.

I dunno, like I said, it doesn't excuse his behaviour. I just thought it might help some people square away their thoughts about him - If you thought he came off as an rear end in a top hat, so did basically everyone who knew him.

I mean, he sent that lovely email where he belittled and deadnamed and insulted a woman for saying “hey don’t use that slur on your website” when The Emoji Movie came out so I think it’s pretty safe to say he’s still a piece of poo poo

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
When the writer is the one who gets outed as a sexual predator, should they reshoot the movie to have a different story?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

viral spiral posted:

What precedent has my man Ridley Scott set?!?!

EDIT: Can you imagine how loving pissed off Ryan Reynolds and David Leitch must be right now? Ryan probably loves his Deadpool character more than his own family at this point, and he's also a producer, so he presumably has the power to demand the removal of TJ Miller. If I were him, I would just do it. Don't taint what is probably going to be a great film by keeping a loving rapist in it.

Between TJ Miller and that biker lady getting killed Deadpool 2 is off to a baaad start :[

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

porfiria posted:

1000x this. Reshuffling stuff in production or whatever is fine, but you've gotta separate the person from the work a little, if possible. Plenty of reprehensible shitheads have created amazing art.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

21 Muns posted:

I am okay with what Disney did, but they did in fact "corporate mandate editing actors out of stuff".

That's pretty crazy because the show been over for a year and there just airing reruns. Disneys might as well scrub his preformance in the Big Hero 6 movie too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

As cool as the "Actually, editing out bad guys is Stalin!" hot takes are, they'll just Song of the South all the movies they can't edit, which is worse for those films in the long run because art that isn't seen becomes no longer relevant.