Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Finished Chapter 7, it was anime as hell and I loved it. Though Rex is given a costume change, they still gave him hot pants. Oh well, I dealt with it for the previous chapters. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat this game has it all

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grinding up Blade skills and growth is incredibly loving boring. I don't want to go running around looking for 10 Bear Asses just to be able to do some merc missions.

I missed it, what was the explanation?

edit: What's Zeke's deal as a character? Am I supposed to put all the slow Attackers on him (axes, hammers, etc.)? Or is he more of a dex build?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 21, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zeke's default with Pandoria is super fast and damaging. He's basically another DPS, except with Launch options.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

I missed it, what was the explanation?

One that you'll get later in the game if you're only just now getting Zeke.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One that you'll get later in the game if you're only just now getting Zeke.

I'm in the middle of chapter 8, I think I genuinely missed it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Pollyanna posted:

You learned important information about Nia.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pollyanna posted:

She's not a Gormotti you dingus

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

IcePhoenix posted:

I admit I still don't quite get her deal. So she had a "sister" who I assume was her driver and her dad fed Nia chunks of her "sister" to try to give her more power to heal her or what. Am starting chapter 8 so maybe they expand on it later

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding tanks, it seems like Tora is just objectively superior, but I still prefer using Four just due to having more variety with blades. Thanks to all the missions I've sent Ursula on for her dumb side quest, I've acquired a poo poo ton of weapon skill manuals (from maxing affinity charts) and managed to upgrade her whip swords to Max/4/4 (along with getting everyone else to a mix of level 4 and 3 for their weapons).

What determines how many points you earn for filling out character affinity charts? I read somewhere that filling them gives overdrives? If so, I might have enough overdrives between those and the "default"/DLC ones to get everyone on the right drivers without having to do any releasing funny business.

Pollyanna posted:

edit: What's Zeke's deal as a character? Am I supposed to put all the slow Attackers on him (axes, hammers, etc.)? Or is he more of a dex build?

From what I can tell, he seems to have more ether-based arts. Other than that, the only real difference is with his "locked" blade.

Speaking of that (very minor spoilers related to blade names/users, but spoilered just in case) the heart to heart with Brighid and Dromarch teasing Pandoria about Zeke was cute.

If not for the Pandoria/Zeke romance, I would have advocated pairing up Morag and Zeke. They seem closer in age and the personality contrast would be interesting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 21, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Filling out affinity charts gives you weapons manuals, with the quality increasing with the blade's rarity (number of crowns). Releasing blades gives you boosters, the quantity and type of which depend on the blade's type and how much of the affinity chart you've filled. The exception is for four-crown blades (not five) with completed affinity charts: releasing those gives you one overdrive protocol and nothing else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zoran posted:

You learned important information about Nia.

IcePhoenix posted:

Calaveron posted:

I admit I still don't quite get her deal. So she had a "sister" who I assume was her driver and her dad fed Nia chunks of her "sister" to try to give her more power to heal her or what. Am starting chapter 8 so maybe they expand on it later

:confused: Isn't she a Blade patterned after the Gormotti anyway? Seems close enough that the Driver form ears should have an explanation, but whatever.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

:confused: Isn't she a Blade patterned after the Gormotti anyway? Seems close enough that the Driver form ears should have an explanation, but whatever.

I dunno, at that point I was so fed up with how they were dealing with her secrets and reveals that I wasn't paying attention because I figured they were just gonna pull another bullshit stalling thing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Calaveron posted:

I dunno, at that point I was so fed up with how they were dealing with her secrets and reveals that I wasn't paying attention because I figured they were just gonna pull another bullshit stalling thing

They basically did, it just didn't last the entire game.

I think I'm just gonna speedrun the rest of the game and watch the Blade sidequests on Youtube or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zoran posted:

Filling out affinity charts gives you weapons manuals, with the quality increasing with the blade's rarity (number of crowns). Releasing blades gives you boosters, the quantity and type of which depend on the blade's type and how much of the affinity chart you've filled. The exception is for four-crown blades (not five) with completed affinity charts: releasing those gives you one overdrive protocol and nothing else.

No, I mean character affinity charts. Which I guess aren't called affinity charts maybe. But those things Rex (etc) have that look like affinity charts.

By the way, what is the difference between the blade affinity chart things with the sword and up arrow and the yellow ones with some other symbol? I imagine the ones with the sword are the ones your blade applies to you sometimes during combat. Are the yellow ones always active (or increase in efficacy based on in-battle affinity)?

edit: I initially thought everything was active all the time, until I noticed that Sheba wasn't always making enemies drop money during combat.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2017

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

Calaveron posted:

Well we got a lot of details about her past, and she is terrified of being alone or abandoned again, so it makes sense that she was so dedicated to keeping her secret. Plus, she was forced to become a flesh eater unlike the others so she had additional baggage. Nia accepting who she was was probably the only actual arc any of the characters had and I thought the game handled it very well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aquila posted:

In some cases I think so yes super-super-Pyra will put you in a state where it's hard not to full burst at the 3rd party member.

I managed to do this last night, but it took two chain attacks to setup.

socialsecurity posted:

Feels weird how the minigame is the only way to upgrade Poppi, like shes literally built from salvaged parts let you get little bits of ether from that or have merc missions to have your little dudes play the stupid game for you.

If you could salvage to upgrade Poppi I'm pretty sure everyone would have her maxxed out completely not long after they get access to gold cylinders. Not that I'd object to that, because salvaging to upgrade her would be infinity better (and significantly faster).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you could salvage to upgrade Poppi I'm pretty sure everyone would have her maxxed out completely not long after they get access to gold cylinders. Not that I'd object to that, because salvaging to upgrade her would be infinity better (and significantly faster).

They made a lot of dumb quality-of-life decisions in this game for no good reason and this is yet another one. What could have been, I guess.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't agree because a lot of level V aux cores require salvaged items and its a HUGE pain to figure out which of the dozens of salvage spots will give you what you need.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
So flesh eaters don't go back into their core when their driver dies right?

On Nia: What I took from it is that the father forced a Blade (Nia) to consume his daughter. Then he and Nia went on the run and he was killed.

It's kind of funny that just about everyone around Rex knows exactly what's going on from the beginning and they just don't tell him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What does luck effect? I heard something about it effecting blade drop-rates? Does it do anything in combat?

Also, is there any point to getting Boreas's final "Fleet of Foot" skill other than completing his affinity chart? I already finished his side quest, and it didn't require it.

edit: Regarding Vess (sidequest spoilers), I remember a while back someone in this thread mentioned being confused at her "children" not caring much. They actually show up at the house in a later side quest. It was actually pretty sweet; they were really happy to see Vess and Vess made them some musubi and they said she was always welcome there. Vess also expressed some feeling of recognition at the house, which was kind of weird given other blades have been completely oblivious to their memories (like Roc with the mercenaries).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Also, is there any point to getting Boreas's final "Fleet of Foot" skill other than completing his affinity chart? I already finished his side quest, and it didn't require it.

As far as I can tell those rare blade specific skills don't do anything specific once you've filled them out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aquila posted:

As far as I can tell those rare blade specific skills don't do anything specific once you've filled them out.

They're probably used for merc missions or something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, though I don't think merc missions ever require more than level 1 in a skill?

Oh, one other comment - Pandoria's voice with the whole kansai dialect (with JP voices obviously) is really cute. Both her and Zeke use kansai dialect. Do they have any kind of noticeable accent in the English?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah, though I don't think merc missions ever require more than level 1 in a skill?

Oh, one other comment - Pandoria's voice with the whole kansai dialect (with JP voices obviously) is really cute. Both her and Zeke use kansai dialect. Do they have any kind of noticeable accent in the English?

The level affects the time. If you put 6 people with maxed optional skills you can take a 1:20 mission down to 20 minutes.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Ytlaya posted:

Zeke has a posh British accent, I think she does as well.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Anyone just want to give up on this game at points? The map is so loving useless there might as well not be one.

Tiger Tiger can gently caress off too, an endless grind and you get kicked out to the menu each time.

Some of the gameplay designs in this game are baffling in how backwards they are.

Edit: All the NPC names are terrible, all the location names are terrible.

Duckula fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 21, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ The location names were originally things like Superbia (Mor Ordain), Invidia (Uraya), Arcadia (Indol), Luxuria (Tantal), etc. Though I guess whether that's better or not is up to personal preference.

Blackfish posted:

Zeke has a posh British accent, I think she does as well.

Hahaha, that is not a very good equivalent for kansai dialect. Then again, it's hard to come up with much of an equivalent, though it would definitely be something more "unsophisticated." The best equivalent I can think of in the context of America is some sort of weird hybrid of a Brooklyn accent, Boston accent, and Southern accent.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Duckula posted:

Anyone just want to give up on this game at points? The map is so loving useless there might as well not be one.

Tiger Tiger can gently caress off too, an endless grind and you get kicked out to the menu each time.

Some of the gameplay designs in this game are baffling in how backwards they are.

Then just stop playing if your that desperate to hate it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then just stop playing if your that desperate to hate it.

Hey, they're not wrong. This game does a lot of backwards-rear end things.

Also, what's the point of relying on common blades for skills in merc missions? You're often lucky to get one of each bonus skill if you're doing all commons. Rare blades are better in pretty much every single department, and the time spent on growing 3-4 star commons is better spent on rares.

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 21, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I already beat all the optional enemies (at least the ones that can be a challenge at the level cap), did a ton of optional content and for some reason I find myself coming back to this game to see if there's anything else to do. I guess it's because I really like the world design.

Apparently the DLC that's coming out next month will include extra challenges and bosses and stuff, might be fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pollyanna posted:

Also, what's everybody's least favorite part of growing Blades? Mine is the "kill X enemy" one, because it's boring and they don't even give you a bestiary.

If you send a blade off on a merc mission, it will gain progress towards things like that automatically. I think unique enemy kills are an exception, but most things can be progressed, including "talk to X people" requirements.

You still have to grind up the blades bonded to each driver manually, but that cuts down on the BS.

CORN NOG
Sep 25, 2003

eh, better than wadded beef i guess?

Pollyanna posted:

Mine is the fact that stuff you unlock doesn’t take effect when you get the “[Blade] learned [thing]!” popup. No, you have to dig into the menu and find that blade, pull up the affinity chart, then wait 2-3 seconds for animation of the orb filling in and click through the “[blade] trust level increased!” and/or “hey they learned a new thing!” dialogs because... reasons?

My second least favorite part is sitting through that nonsense 3-6 times in a row after every merc mission.

(It feels like so many of the design/ui decisions were made specifically to get me to not want to enjoy this game as much as i do :( )

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
It's amazing how much worse the merc system than peace walker's

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If anyone is stuck on 4 and thinking about grinding out 5, don't worry about it to much there are only a few level 5 merc missions and they don't give anything too great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

socialsecurity posted:

If anyone is stuck on 4 and thinking about grinding out 5, don't worry about it to much there are only a few level 5 merc missions and they don't give anything too great.

Do you get three groups at five or four?

Also, I really miss Skells.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Do you get three groups at five or four?

4 and the test is less bullshity hard as 3s.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

You get three groups starting at rank four.

efb

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Duckula posted:

the only thing i'll give up on is life when my adventure with rex, nia, pyra, dormarch, and poppi comes to an end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ The location names were originally things like Superbia (Mor Ordain), Invidia (Uraya), Arcadia (Indol), Luxuria (Tantal), etc. Though I guess whether that's better or not is up to personal preference.

Hahaha, that is not a very good equivalent for kansai dialect. Then again, it's hard to come up with much of an equivalent, though it would definitely be something more "unsophisticated." The best equivalent I can think of in the context of America is some sort of weird hybrid of a Brooklyn accent, Boston accent, and Southern accent.

He goes wassup and has a way more casual tone in the voiceless dialogue