Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tars Tarkas posted:

As cool as the "Actually, editing out bad guys is Stalin!" hot takes are, they'll just Song of the South all the movies they can't edit, which is worse for those films in the long run because art that isn't seen becomes no longer relevant.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not expecting that finished Kevin Spacey Gore Vidal flick to come out... uh... probably ever. And Louis C.K.'s I Love You, Daddy is probably going to end up in the moon vault they locked Rita Repulsa in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
About editing out TJ Miller in Dp2 just get really bad lookalikes with really bad wigs and everytime it's his characters turn to speak he gets punched or interrupted.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I mean, I'm not expecting that finished Kevin Spacey Gore Vidal flick to come out... uh... probably ever. And Louis C.K.'s I Love You, Daddy is probably going to end up in the moon vault they locked Rita Repulsa in.

Louis has bought back the rights to that movie so he can either just sit on it and wait (make no mistake, he'll be back by the end of next year) or he can just throw it up on his website like he does with everything else and recoup costs that way.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

DrVenkman posted:

Louis has bought back the rights to that movie so he can either just sit on it and wait (make no mistake, he'll be back by the end of next year) or he can just throw it up on his website like he does with everything else and recoup costs that way.

Comedy option is that it becomes the new The Day The Clown Cried just as that starts to enter the realm of possible release with Jerry Lewis' recent death.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The screener has already leaked so no Clown Cried legend there

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

About editing out TJ Miller in Dp2 just get really bad lookalikes with really bad wigs and everytime it's his characters turn to speak he gets punched or interrupted.

Hahaha, this idea, I love.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

21 Muns posted:

I am okay with what Disney did, but they did in fact "corporate mandate editing actors out of stuff".

Noted! It was extremely late when I posted that and didn't think too, you know, look up what I was talking about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fart City posted:

That movie seemed pretty tone deaf to begin with but it's crazy how tasteless it seems now.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

As cool as the "Actually, editing out bad guys is Stalin!" hot takes are, they'll just Song of the South all the movies they can't edit, which is worse for those films in the long run because art that isn't seen becomes no longer relevant.

honestly this is legitimately going to be hairy as gently caress for film preservation regardless of what direction they go

like, I don't envy film historians 50 years from now; it seems like we've gotten insanely lucky that none of the stuff affected has been super important or anything, and it's just a ticking time bomb until the first legitimate Great Movie gets messed with because of this situation

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

honestly this is legitimately going to be hairy as gently caress for film preservation regardless of what direction they go

like, I don't envy film historians 50 years from now; it seems like we've gotten insanely lucky that none of the stuff affected has been super important or anything, and it's just a ticking time bomb until the first legitimate Great Movie gets messed with because of this situation

gently caress, can you imagine what would've happened if one of the Star Wars leads turned out to be a rapist? You'd have Disney executives jumping out of their windows.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

21 Muns posted:

gently caress, can you imagine what would've happened if one of the Star Wars leads turned out to be a rapist? You'd have Disney executives jumping out of their windows.

Imagine if someone like Robert Downey Jr. got popped; the dude that the entire decades-long Marvel Cinematic Universe was founded on.

exquisite tea posted:

That movie seemed pretty tone deaf to begin with but it's crazy how tasteless it seems now.

Yeah, it's like Advanced Level Hubris. Like, even if the stories hadn't broke before it came out, you'd have to assume that the subject matter would invite the women he assaulted to feel compelled to speak up afterwards.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 21, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The bigger problem is that the film industry has been so saturated in sexual assault and harassment, you'd lose nearly every great film out there. It's just something to accept that a lot of great art has been created by bad people. Moving forward, the best thing is to stop employing and enriching those who are keeping such a tradition from dying out. Firing actors and crew from productions is a good step.

Modifying finished work after being available for a while is insane, though. Leni Riefenstahl made a version of Olympia that removed all shots of Hitler and other Nazis. Except that's hiding the fact that the film originally had them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Eddie Berganza got bounced from DC Comics for being a piece of poo poo. Now Bleeding Cool (the rear end in a top hat of comic book journalism) is quietly trying to gather dirt on any creator in the industry. A friend of mine who also works comic retail was sexually assaulted by former Dark Horse editor Scott Allie and recently told me that BC contacted them looking for a quote about it. So I'd expect to see the entire comic book industry tree getting shaken in the near future and a fuckload of bad apples will come falling down.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There are definitely still A-list people who are immune to this, at least in terms of continuing to get work. They know nobody is boycotting Avengers or Star Wars, they have no motivation to make any serious move against one of the major stars because whatever allegations might come up would not hurt their bottom line.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Eddie Berganza got bounced from DC Comics for being a piece of poo poo. Now Bleeding Cool (the rear end in a top hat of comic book journalism) is quietly trying to gather dirt on any creator in the industry. A friend of mine who also works comic retail was sexually assaulted by former Dark Horse editor Scott Allie and recently told me that BC contacted them looking for a quote about it. So I'd expect to see the entire comic book industry tree getting shaken in the near future and a fuckload of bad apples will come falling down.

Quick, somebody get a machine that converts allegations against Frank Miller into electricity. We'll have Puerto Rico up and running before supper.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Fart City posted:

Imagine if someone like Robert Downey Jr. got popped; the dude that the entire decades-long Marvel Cinematic Universe was founded on.

Hasn’t the rumor been that the Himmmm account from the Gawker days that was leaking this sort of stuff was RDJ. I have no doubt that RDJ has some shady stuff in his past, and was probably witness to even worse.

But that’s random baseless rumors about random rumor mongers.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Anti-Citizen posted:

Hasn’t the rumor been that the Himmmm account from the Gawker days that was leaking this sort of stuff was RDJ. I have no doubt that RDJ has some shady stuff in his past, and was probably witness to even worse.

But that’s random baseless rumors about random rumor mongers.

Yeah. I mean, for what it's worth, I wasn't saying RDJ was guilty of anything, just thinking about how catastrophic it would be if he was. I do believe he was Himmmm, though. Like I think dude was trying to whistleblow some poo poo awhile back.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
At what point should we be careful about random rumours? Like RDJ probably has had his fair share of female attention but plenty of men get through life having fame and money and power and NOT being a horrible creep or rapist. I’m not #notallmen here, simply saying maybe let’s not say “ha, surely this guy is a creep” with legit nothing, or something unrelated in their past.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

The bigger problem is that the film industry has been so saturated in sexual assault and harassment, you'd lose nearly every great film out there. It's just something to accept that a lot of great art has been created by bad people. Moving forward, the best thing is to stop employing and enriching those who are keeping such a tradition from dying out. Firing actors and crew from productions is a good step.

Modifying finished work after being available for a while is insane, though. Leni Riefenstahl made a version of Olympia that removed all shots of Hitler and other Nazis. Except that's hiding the fact that the film originally had them.

I think a better solution is to embraced the idea of death of the author by killing these people in real life.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Not to start a derail but this sort of alteration opens the doors to much worse things. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas had a bit of a minor controversy when several songs were patched out of the soundtrack when Rockstar lost the rights to them. How long until that starts happening in movies? It already happens in reruns of certain TV series.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
There’s probably a conversation to be had about the implication of cancelling a show/film because of a tainted lead when it will cause collateral damage to everyone else who worked on it. There’s probably also a conversation to be had about the scale of punishment/rehabilitation for varying behaviors. But, most of the people [read: men] publicly asking these questions tend to be scummy apologists so I mostly don’t trust the sincerity or productivity of those discussions yet.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tars Tarkas posted:

The screener has already leaked so no Clown Cried legend there

I've seen I Love You Daddy. Should I post about it here or in a more general discussion thread?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

i am the bird posted:

There’s probably a conversation to be had about the implication of cancelling a show/film because of a tainted lead when it will cause collateral damage to everyone else who worked on it. There’s probably also a conversation to be had about the scale of punishment/rehabilitation for varying behaviors. But, most of the people [read: men] publicly asking these questions tend to be scummy apologists so I mostly don’t trust the sincerity or productivity of those discussions yet.

Well, we already have a direct example in the Kevin Spacey Gore Vidal movie. Like, that flick was in post-production when Netflix pulled the plug on it. I can't even imagine how heartbreaking/infuriating that must be for the rest of the cast and crew.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Their work won't be shown but they got paid for it at least

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Rhyno posted:

For those who don't know there's a thread in BSS that's been talking about poo poo like this if you want to talk more about shitholes in the comics industry. There's some really hosed up stories in there, like that one guy who went around biting people at conventions.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 21, 2017

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Apparently TJ Miller AND his wife knew this accuser back in college. Claims she's a vindictive crazy person.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Steve Yun posted:

I've seen I Love You Daddy. Should I post about it here or in a more general discussion thread?

If you think there are scenes relevant to this conversation, then here is fine, otherwise the general chat thread would be better. I haven't watched it yet because there are far more interesting films from this year I haven't watched yet.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

viral spiral posted:

Apparently TJ Miller AND his wife knew this accuser back in college. Claims she's a vindictive crazy person.

Who cares? They said that the day the allegation came out, and then 20 other people came out showing how much of a shithead he is.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I wonder if any of this poo poo played a part in him leaving Silicon Valley

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

If 2016 was the great "celebrity and musician purge" then 2017 is the great "awwh for fu- not him i liked him"

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

If 2016 was the great "celebrity and musician purge" then 2017 is the great "awwh for fu- not him i liked him"

I’ve seen it as:

2016: “All your favorite celebrities are dead!”
2017: “All your favorite celebrities are dead to you!”

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

lelandjs posted:

I’ve seen it as:

2016: “All your favorite celebrities are dead!”
2017: “All your favorite celebrities are dead to you!”

2018 : all the celebrities are un-dead! and they're fighting the gropey ones!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fart City posted:

Yeah, it's like Advanced Level Hubris. Like, even if the stories hadn't broke before it came out, you'd have to assume that the subject matter would invite the women he assaulted to feel compelled to speak up afterwards.

Did you read his apology? It's pretty obvious that, at the time for sure, and possibly even to this day, he doesn't think he did anything wrong. Why would he be worried about it?

Note: to be 100% clear, I don't agree he did nothing wrong -- he certainly did a lot of bad things -- I'm just saying that's probably what his state of mind was.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Retroactively editing people out of stuff that's already out there is Stalinesque and hell, I'm all for it

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

2018 : all the celebrities are un-dead! and they're fighting the gropey ones!

david bowies corpse just beating the poo poo out of himself

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

viral spiral posted:

I know that "innocent until proven guilty" is a stalwart of American law, but when multiple accounts of similar behavior come out about someone, it gets more and more difficult to roll with the idea of presumption of innocence, especially considering how hosed-up Hollywood is.

I mean, comedians in general are broken people--the bulk of comedy comes from making light of lovely situations--but people in Hollywood in particular get paid zillions to pretend to be someone else, and they're doing so in a society that has been dominated by men for literal decades. Nothing about this is surprising, and nothing about this is acceptable.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Surprising that given the release of BRIGHT, more stories about Max Landis haven't come out yet. Comedian/Musician Allie Goertz said today that she gave on the record comments to several publications about him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrVenkman posted:

Surprising that given the release of BRIGHT, more stories about Max Landis haven't come out yet. Comedian/Musician Allie Goertz said today that she gave on the record comments to several publications about him.

Landis is already a known creep, considering his "PLEASE JUST TALK TO ME" breakdown on Twitter at Lexi Alexander a while back.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

david bowies corpse just beating the poo poo out of himself

ooh but he makes it sound so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

viral spiral posted:

There are multiple stories of him though. If they're all crazy maybe its because of the rapes