Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much money do you spend on this game?
This poll is closed.
Thar she blows ($300/mo.) 9 5.52%
We got our hooks in 'em ($100-$300/mo.) 11 6.75%
They's taking the bait! ($20-100/mo.) 25 15.34%
Toss 'em back in the sea. (F2P - $20/mo.) 118 72.39%
Total: 163 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

new kind of cat posted:

WELP! Onion Boy takes the Frozen Crown. Friend OK didn't even have a fire weapon equipped, but a Splendor of Fire chain one shotted the Glace. Leaving the absolute boy up as my friend unit if anyone needs.

So, what if you don't have two Onion Knights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

new kind of cat posted:

WELP! Onion Boy takes the Frozen Crown. Friend OK didn't even have a fire weapon equipped, but a Splendor of Fire chain one shotted the Glace. Leaving the absolute boy up as my friend unit if anyone needs.

Onion Knight, I’ve found, is more powerful than he seems at first glance. Especially in multiples. His chain is so long that if you spark elemental with him he’s nearly equivalent to a finisher by virtue of how long his chain is. Onion Cutter is 5.2x and with just two of him, nearly 90% of that damage is at max chain value. A 3rd OK isn’t going to beat out a well geared up to date finisher, but he’ll be closer than a lot of other units could manage.

I want to make Fryevia work or commit to DVeritas but drat does the little onion boy deal some serious damage.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I dunno? I only have one myself. Chaining partner was a friend unit. If the friend unit had had a fire weapon equipped I probably could have killed it with Onion Cutter instead.

The key is to just have some kind of strong chainer with a fire weapon. Tidus didn't have enough ATK to one round with a chain, so I went with Onion Knight instead. Also, resetting if either of your DPS get wiped out in the opening salvo.

People on Reddit are managing with Orlandeu/Agrias, the Nier crew, VoD, etc. I think the only rule of thumb is to try and have your chainers over 900 ATK and to use fire weapons.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I used Agrias and Orlandu with fire weapons. Orlandu had tetra sylpheed equipped for bird killer and it wasn't even close.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
Important Tip: Even if people tell you Grim Lord Sakura will be fiiiine it has like 15 SPR it'll melt anyway...

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.

What a waste of 50 energy. Sigh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Langolas posted:

Want to go in halfsies on my third TGCid? :(. I gotta farm more T1-T2 crysts which blows

There is no reason to enhance three TG Cids. Enhancing even two of them is questionable tbh.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

First bird attempt. Didn't even have to reset since only one character died on the opener. Then I kill the king bird... but part of my chain is a Mirage w/ fire weapon. Little birds get mad and decide to end the party on turn 2 with AoE death lasers :doh:

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008

Dana Crysalis posted:

Important Tip: Even if people tell you Grim Lord Sakura will be fiiiine it has like 15 SPR it'll melt anyway...

DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM.

What a waste of 50 energy. Sigh.

Story time?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Edit: wrong thread :doh:

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 21, 2017

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Never forget that Grim Sakura's elemental chain ability is Fire/Dark dual type. In a massively lopsided situation like this, it means she does half as much damage as a full fire chain.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
Oh duh, that totally makes sense. Thanks.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Sozhe still probably has no use for this

Also can’t wait for the party suggestions that don’t involve Mystea, Ayaka and Wilhelm

hagie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 21, 2017

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

new kind of cat posted:

I sent a request, but you're full. 796 613 573 is mine, if you can clear a slot for me.

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I sent a request, but you're full. 796 613 573 is mine, if you can clear a slot for me.

Cleared a spot and sent you a request. Goonspeed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey goons would it be helpful to a significant number of y'all if i geared up my ayaka for ice resist and made her my friend unit? will it generally be easier for someone to set up chainers and bring a paralyze immune unit with aoe raise

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Killed big bad ice bird. Took three tries: I hosed up the first when I had a Mirage user with a fire weapon as part of my chain. I hit the birds w/o breaking them, they got mad and used their laser AoE and fried my entire team. Second I didn't bring enough DPS for my lovely fatfingered chains and brought them to 8%, missed the window to close the app, and the boss hit with the threshold attack and everybody died.

Third I brought a friend (I thought i had enough DPS without), found Hamsystem sharing an Orlandu. Final party was, in order:

- Soleil with 7k HP as somebody to take hits. If she lived she could buff ATK and DEF break the boss, or if she didn't she could MAG break and SPR buff the flunkies waiting for esper gauge. She also had Ifrit which oneshot the flunkies. She died :(

7k HP, 262 DEF, 352 SPR w/ Ifrit
Clown Staff, Crown of Justice, Tabby Suit, Arsha's Talisman, Germinas Boots
Guardian Authority, Bushido - Freedom (not used), Toughness, Guardian's Authority

- Garnet with auto-LB so I could build LB crystals->Esper gauge without issue. Had dual cast and some HP but I ended up focusing on Rikku and Soleil so she only had 5k HP or so. Would be great if the FF9 awakenings came soon! She also died :(

4.5k HP, 157 DEF, 336 SPR w/ Lakshmi
Clown Staff, Cat-ear Hood, Fashionable Dresswear, Prodigy's Goggles, Carbon Bandle
Instrumental Flair, Resentment, Dualcast, Mechanical Heart

- Rikku as a grabbag. She was my old Mirage user with a fire weapon to chainbuild. Instead I traded it in for more HP and gave her Rikku's Pouch for Chaos Grenade in case I needed to break. Turns out I didn't so she used Mega Phoenix on the first turn to revive and other support stuff that was never really important.

8.2k HP, 318 DEF, 242 SPR w/ Shiva
Galkan Dagger, Dragon Shield, Kingsglaive Hood, Parade Curiass, Rikku's Pouch (not used), Pod 153 (used for regen after killing bird)
Patriotic Recall, Blighted Despot, Mechanical Heart, Discernment

- 2B as DPS. I grinded a Hoemaru but ended up with the Crimson Saber so I could get the HP buff from Proud Fencer. 3rd attempt it didn't matter but 1st she survived with ~400 HP. I also forgot Tetra Sylpheed had Bird Killer which helped for the 3rd attempt. Did one Speed then defended.

6.8k HP, 1122 ATK, 418 DEF, 256 SPR w/ Tetra Sylpheed
Crimson Saber, Aigaion Arm, Prishe's Hairpin, Assassin's Vest, Champion Belt x2
Great Sword & Martial Arts Mastery, Proud Fencer, Adv5

- Friend Orlandu from Hamsystem. Built like 2B: Fire weapon, paralysis immunity, Tetra Sylpheed. Did one Divine Ruination then defended too. Thanks Ham!

I don't know if it's RNG or what but the party order seemed to matter a lot. My team was lead by 2B and Reberta (who I replaced with Orlandu) on my 2nd attempt and Reberta kept eating it for about 20 attempts. For my 3rd attempt I changed it so the expendables were first and I only had to reset once.

DPS killed the bird, Rikku revived, Soleil broke the flunkies, Garnet healed while her LB built up, used Ifrit, won the fight. I'll have to go back for the TM moogle but it's a quick fight once the rests are done at least. Now I have 3 AoE stop users for Arena :toot:

e: Added gear and quick stats for the curious

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 22, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Nice, glad I could help!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

new kind of cat posted:

Cleared a spot and sent you a request. Goonspeed.

I tried. The entire team kept getting wiped on the stupid pre-emptive attack (I hate those in games like this). Ah well.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

hamsystem posted:

Nice, glad I could help!

Your orlandeau helped my run too, thank you!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Anytime! I'll leave him up for a few days.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

hey goons would it be helpful to a significant number of y'all if i geared up my ayaka for ice resist and made her my friend unit? will it generally be easier for someone to set up chainers and bring a paralyze immune unit with aoe raise

I don't have an Ayaka, so... at least one person?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

TGC is innately immune to paralysis, which is part of why he is great for bird murder. If people want, I can gear mine back up and set him as friend leader instead of cloud. I one turned the trial boss, with Wilhelm face tanking everything.

You don't need ayaka for the trial at all. I used rem, but honestly any unit works as long as you have phoenix downs.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Died a few times to the turn one blitz before I wised up and geared more for survival.

Your survival units need to be paralyze immune. I did not bother with immunity for DPS. I used A2 with a friend A2, geared with Fire element and both at 7K HP. However I really think almost any fire elemental damager would work. They're really easy to kill, it's just getting to where you can do that...

Since this fight has an RNG element at the start, I tried to reduce that some through innate draw attacks and magic cover.

No pots Cagnazzo in slot one (7.1k HP, 221 Spr, 351 def, geared to 0% ice resist) with a Rikku Pouch. He has innate draw, and being in slot 1 makes him more likely to be covered. Other units' slots are down to your preference but he belongs in 1 here.

No pots Mystea next. I had her geared to 7.2k life, 395 spr, 259 def. If turn one goes right, she covers Cagnazzo and dies, leaving him barely alive to cure paralysis on your DPS so they can murder the big bird on the first turn easily.

I used Marie but could be a better choice... Maybe a solid healer? The thing is her utility is all after the first turn, and a lot of this fight ends up just being having a party with units that can withstand turn one to accomplish the missions.

This may be considered cheese but I figure Gumi knew what they were doing when they made the enemies so squishy and gave us units that can mitigate the onslaught somewhat anyway

Mystea and Cagnazo looked like a good team on paper and they do not disappoint, digging the new gear and the quick moogle.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 22, 2017

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So what are thoughts on Christine and Kryla now that we have their full profiles datamined?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Khisanth Magus posted:

So what are thoughts on Christine and Kryla now that we have their full profiles datamined?

We still don't know for Christine since she's mainly a chaining unit, so we need her frame data to really pinpoint how good she will be. But, the fact that she gets a Consecutive Use finisher, a really potent chainer, AND she can dual-cast those, means she'll probably be super loving good. She is stuck with Ice and can't use swords though, so she'll still have a hard time competing with current magical overlord TTerra. But ice is so rarely resisted in trials that you'll probably have a good run with her.

And for Kryla, although most of her kit has been revealed, we still don't know anything about how her Hex/Wicked Eye moves work. Everything else in her kit seems to build up to those abilities.

Edit: Also, the two current highest DPT units are Fixed Dice 2B and Fixed Dice Onion Knight (using Splendors with LB, no less). Think about that for a minute.

Office Thug fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 22, 2017

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
So, how crucial are Warrior of Light's enhancements? I've mostly been sticking to my fully potted/LB Veritas of Earth on the rare instances I really need a tank, and I've heard a lot about how gamechanging WoL's enhancements are but they just seem kinda standard at first glance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Did the ELT bird but forgot about the Esper kill and since it was my second try just said screw it. That materia isn't going anywhere and I never use those offensive materia anyway. I went the Tidus route but took OK just in case. Reset a couple times so Mystea would cover someone other than Ayaka. Made it through finally with 2x Tidus and Ayaka still alive, and it was easy street from there.

This trial sucks because it was a combination of "hp TMR check" and awful RNG. I can handle the TMR check but this is going to be a hard one to get through for a lot of people.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Gamechanging seems a bit much, but he gains passive SPR which is always nice, his sub-30% DEF boost gets bumped to 150% from 100% and also includes SPR now (which is fantastic), and not having to recast his 100% taunt every turn allows him to do other things which is some nice quality of life (ie- You can taunt and then guard which WoL previously was unable to do).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, how crucial are Warrior of Light's enhancements? I've mostly been sticking to my fully potted/LB Veritas of Earth on the rare instances I really need a tank, and I've heard a lot about how gamechanging WoL's enhancements are but they just seem kinda standard at first glance.

3 turn provoke is a definite change in the possibilities for WoL’s kit. Basically his entire gimmick was AoE covers and breaks. Now you can also do double tank setups while keeping the breaks. I got both Provoke and Light is With Us to +2. I’ll eventually get his passive to +2 but +1 is really all you need - passive 20% spr. The +2 just gives you a bigger near-death buff.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Holy poo poo, Orlandeau broke me worst than when Germany broke Brazil

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
For those interested in nice pictures:

For a friend, I took another Queen who was geared slightly better (genji glove makes a pretty big difference) but basic concept the same.
- Reset a couple times until the results were Ling and Ayaka dead
- The two Queens did more than enough damage with Devastate+2 to kill the bird (it didn't really chain persay but it was just so much damage that bird was all WELP I'M OUT)
- Guarded with Wilhelm for some HP back, waited til the next turn to Impregnable, Curaga, and raise Ayaka, who then finished getting everyone up to speed
- Ayaka spent most rounds using Bushido to clear off the ice imbue
- Ling slowly whittled away the little birds to get the esper orbs
- Queens used Curaga most of the time, occasionally magic martyr when Ayaka was taking a break from dispelling everything so that Wilhelm could get MP back
- Wilhelm had to Impregnable every round because of the Bushido dispel

Took 45 rounds to get the esper orbs to summon Ifrit which instantly ended the fight because hahaha -1000% resist.

Dana Crysalis fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2017

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012
I pulled 2 Krylas this morning with 12 tickets and a half pull. Leveled and geared her and unless I'm missing something she seems kinda bad. No equip passives, no MP refresh (wtf), and her hex gimmick only does 10k per debuff.

But hey, her LB is Gingerbread meteor, so there's something.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, I'm gonna skip this banner.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Pulled a Christine on a 4* ticket. She seems pretty good after a little training dummy time. If nothing else that TM is sweet.

PDQ Law
Aug 4, 2011
Daily 1/2 pull was a rainbow... Elfreeda. What a roller coaster of emotions.

What I want to know is if Christine's Snow Burial spark-chains with T.Terra's awakened chaos wave, because that opens up a great pairing for any 10-man trial that is not ice- or magic-resistant.

Does Kryla's Hex Eye max out at 5 ailments/50k damage as reported? It does fixed damage, so it can be useful against high def/spr enemies. I could see it paired with the Imperil spell, since that applies 6 elemental debuffs that are never resisted.

Shingouryu
Feb 15, 2012

PDQ Law posted:

Does Kryla's Hex Eye max out at 5 ailments/50k damage as reported? It does fixed damage, so it can be useful against high def/spr enemies. I could see it paired with the Imperil spell, since that applies 6 elemental debuffs that are never resisted.

Just tested this - and I got 80k. Hmm, she might be useful after all. Plus, her LB unlocks a version of hex that does 20k per debuff.

With LB (which adds 3 random debuffs)

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

PDQ Law posted:

What I want to know is if Christine's Snow Burial spark-chains with T.Terra's awakened chaos wave, because that opens up a great pairing for any 10-man trial that is not ice- or magic-resistant.

Just went and tested this and the answer is yes. :stare:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

hamsystem posted:

Just went and tested this and the answer is yes. :stare:

Welp *takes out credit card*

Did a 10+1 and Christine was my second unit that showed up with the tinkerer as the first. I wont be needing you today friendo *Puts credit card back in the wallet*

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 22, 2017

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Welp *takes out credit card*

Did a 10+1 and Christine was my second unit that showed up with the tinkerer as the first. I wont be needing you today friendo *Puts credit card back in the wallet*

RNGesus is the reason for the season!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Watch me farm up a bunch of TMs for my magic units and have Gumi release Aileens enhancements next batch.

Should I even bother with sword and arms when I have 4 Williams? Will the flexibility of williams TM and extra defense outweigh a few extra damage?

e-Ummmm another question for Christine that I might test later. Taunts interaction with it. 50% damage mitigation is huge, most of the time you dont see units having more than 30%. Even if its single target and has a hefty demerit attached to it in the form of stop, if the unit taunted already then it doesnt matter right? The enemy is still going to punch it in the face regardless of whether or not its stopped? I know a stopped unit wont cover, but taunt and cover work differently

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 22, 2017

• Locked thread