Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So there's a new patch and guess what, all flashlights regardless of quality or add-ons instablind right now, multiple streamers tested it, fuckin how do you let something like this through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
intentionally

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Please delete rotten fields, it's a garbage map with nothing to interact with.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Eldercain posted:

Please delete rotten fields, it's a garbage map with nothing to interact with.

You know what really sucks about Rotten Fields? Playing Michael for the fun of it, and deciding 'eh, I have one of these permanent tier 1 add-on things, and that could be fun to just roll around being ninja-Mike'. And then end up on that map, where literally everyone can see you all the time because your stupid white face pops up above the corn, and you can't actually chase down anyone.

To be fair, I was laughing the whole time because it was so stupid and perfect timing from the game to throw the most open map at me, and ended up becoming friends with a couple of the survivors after who were like wtf after it ended and all. So it wasn't a total waste, but man, I've had some bad feelings about that map since.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Yardbomb posted:

So there's a new patch and guess what, all flashlights regardless of quality or add-ons instablind right now, multiple streamers tested it, fuckin how do you let something like this through.

Literally what the gently caress??

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
That flashlight poo poo sounds like either they did zero Q&A, or they only ever test with the highest strongest bestest equipment so they didn't notice.

Sporkie posted:

You know what really sucks about Rotten Fields? Playing Michael for the fun of it, and deciding 'eh, I have one of these permanent tier 1 add-on things, and that could be fun to just roll around being ninja-Mike'. And then end up on that map, where literally everyone can see you all the time because your stupid white face pops up above the corn, and you can't actually chase down anyone.

Corn is the real monster of Dead By Daylight.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Haquer posted:

Literally what the gently caress??

Coolguye posted:

intentionally

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Oh yeah and people were seeing that now breaking a pallet takes all your bloodlust (Previously it'd take like 1-2) and reported it as a bug, the devs say this is intentional.

11/10 game design behaviour you buncha french canadian fucks.

Like I don't even play anymore, I watch a buddy who does and I bullshit with people about the game elsewhere, but this stuff is so baffling I always have to bring the news.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 23, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

lol

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Yardbomb posted:

Oh yeah and people were seeing that now breaking a pallet takes all your bloodlust (Previously it'd take like 1-2) and reported it as a bug, the devs say this is intentional.

11/10 game design behaviour you buncha french canadian fucks.

:psyduck:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Oh the devs are French Canadians? That explains a WHOLE lot.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

TGLT posted:

Corn is the real monster of Dead By Daylight.

Corn was fun until the addition of enough killers that don't care about corn that you can't use it to juke

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Eldercain posted:

Corn was fun until the addition of enough killers that don't care about corn that you can't use it to juke

To be honest, I like the corn maps in general. I'm not the greatest player, so people can still use it against me, but it's also fun during a chase looking up to the top of the stalks for where movement is, heh. It's like a lot of the hiding spots, smart/good survivors it's still a pretty good tool, unless the Killer just lucks out and randomly bumbles into them in the middle of it. It also hides Survivors surprisingly well even from Michael's stalk vision. Same thing with the super tall grass on the swamp maps, I honestly really like the feature and kinda wish it was featured on more maps. Except there's just too much on the farm maps. And the map that is like, ALL corn really is a nightmare for the survivors, unless they're up against a few very specific Killer set-ups. Too much 'soft cover', not enough 'hard cover'. Kinda.. Badly balanced.

Map balance really is something I wish the Devs would prioritize more, but they have their own ideas and.. I try not to get too frustrated by it anymore and just sigh and pray for a quick end when I get stuck on Lampkin Lane again.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

"Balance" is literally a dirty word to the devs.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"Balance" is literally a dirty word to the devs.

I think it's more.. They balance for the wrong things. It's like they play balance games for rank 20s without any items/perks/whatevers, and just sorta build around it and hope it works. And then fervently insist it's all working as intended when the Killer floats off into the sky.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Sporkie posted:

And the map that is like, ALL corn really is a nightmare for the survivors, unless they're up against a few very specific Killer set-ups. Too much 'soft cover', not enough 'hard cover'. Kinda.. Badly balanced.

That map is rotten fields, and we just disconnect if we hear a billy saw. BBQ + no obstacles = first hook and the game is over. No thanks

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009

Eldercain posted:

That map is rotten fields, and we just disconnect if we hear a billy saw. BBQ + no obstacles = first hook and the game is over. No thanks

I honestly forgot that rotten fields was the map name, not the area name. Yeah. Bad map in general. Not a fan.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:laffo:

Angrypigpug finally got banned for a day it seems, shockingly for being an abusive shithead.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

:laffo:

Angrypigpug finally got banned for a day it seems, shockingly for being an abusive shithead.

Heh. Good. I like to blame him for the general toxicity of the game's population.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So the girlfriend has been obsessing over this game on twitch lately and we picked it up recently. Kind of fun, but some things are pretty dumb. People standing in front of the killer while they try to hook people seems too effective, and flashlights being an instant survivor drop seems dumb too. Am I overlooking ways around these as a newbie killer? People constantly running in circles and hopping through windows was frustrating ya one match but isn’t usually a problem I guess, the game just seems so much easier as a survivor.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The game is incredibly survivor sided yes, mostly because the devs blatantly pander to big streamers, who are like 90% survivor players.

Also there's basically 1 counter to the flashlight being as stupid as it is, if you can pick up someone with your face stuck right to a wall, you're pretty safe, any other time they can trundle up to you and just sear your retinas while you're mid-animation. However if they manage to screw that up and you do get the pick up, remember you can look straight up in the air to make the flashlight useless and they can't do anything except whine about it in post-game chat, which they will do.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 18, 2017

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Oh cool, thanks. I am having fun about half the time as killer, which isn’t terrible I guess. Michael Myers is neat and doing sick nasty 360 no scopes as huntress is also kind of cool. Why does everybody always complain and disconnect against doctor though?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Hobojim posted:

Oh cool, thanks. I am having fun about half the time as killer, which isn’t terrible I guess. Michael Myers is neat and doing sick nasty 360 no scopes as huntress is also kind of cool. Why does everybody always complain and disconnect against doctor though?

Because, like the nurse, his ability negates most of the avenues people have for delaying/juking the killer and his kit inherently adds a lot of free sweetest with no counterplay. He's not very fun to play against. He is the instant blind of killers.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Eldercain posted:

Because, like the nurse, his ability negates most of the avenues people have for delaying/juking the killer and his kit inherently adds a lot of free sweetest with no counterplay. He's not very fun to play against. He is the instant blind of killers.

I have no idea what "adds a lot of free sweetest" means. Is there no penalty for DC'ing in this game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i've been playing this game from the beginning and have no idea what 'free sweetest' means so don't sweat it there

there is a penalty for disconnecting. it makes you lose 2 shards on the ladder ranking system.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Hobojim posted:

I have no idea what "adds a lot of free sweetest" means. Is there no penalty for DC'ing in this game?

It means my stupid phone is stupid. That should be detection

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Hobojim posted:

Why does everybody always complain and disconnect against doctor though?

Semi-recently he got a rework and went from one of the worst killers, rocketing up to high tier, killers being allowed to be good or fun is a big no-no. He's also the best killer for finding people playing super sneaky, because if he's stompin around in treatment (Zappy) mode eventually someone's gonna scream from his static aura and it often turns into a failure cascade, the person getting hunted down whether purposefully or not, runs into their team, team ends up getting shocked a few times, now everyone's screaming and seeing ghost pallets and stuff.

And I guess if you're curious, the killer rankings are pretty often agreed on like.

God tier: Nurse - A good Nurse is near enough impossible to juke and she completely invalidates pallet looping, which virtually everyone immediately tries when they're in danger, plus she has great perks including Nurse's Calling, which is frequently thought of as one of the most powerful killer perks period.

Top tier: Huntress/Billy - They both also negate pallet humping in their own ways, but not as absolutely as Nurse. Huntress is pretty obvious, if you can land hatchet tosses nobody gets away and she can mindgame people camping a pallet, fake them out or make them finally need to drop it, hatchet in their animation. Billy can saw pallets and using his sprint to race around the map and between objectives at mach speed is super powerful.

High tier: Doctor - After his remake Doctor's really strong, stealth is a no go against him in general and with the right addons he also makes ghost pallets, which people fall for all the time.

Mid tier: Michael - Really fun, probably my personal favorite dude and Evil Within 3 going off is probably the most failure cascade provoking thing in the game, stab someone down, their dumb/cheeky buddy tries to save them, stab, someone sees all those rescue/WGLF points in waiting, stab, someone comes for an unhook, stab.

Low tier: Trapper/Wraith - Trapper's still a solid design on paper, but he's been powercreeped to hell and back. He can't foot trap hooks anymore, everyone can disarm his traps and it takes like a second plus gives points, traps are a lot more visible by default now, he has a finite amount of traps unlike say Huntress who can just go get more hatchets as much as she wants, so you could potentially take away Trapper's entire power with Saboteur or a sabo toolbox. Wraith though has been the game's punching bag pretty much forever, his power doesn't do enough, you can flashlight him while he's "invis" and it hurts him, he has no specific way to deal with pallets, looping, people sneaking, a lot of people have gotten too good at spotting his Predator mode shimmer, no redeeming features at all basically, BUT he is slated to have a rework soon, which will hopefully give him the help he desperately needs.

Dumpster tier: Freddy - He was already just 'okay' when he came out, he had one neat gimmick and that was it, it even had plenty of counters, but a mass of people who were apalled at the idea of needing a new strategy went absolutely ballistic, there was a coordinated thing to rate the DLC badly on steam, a billion forums posts, Freddy was the most disconnected against killer by a landslide and so the devs, super geniuses that they are, nerfed him in like 4 different ways, kickin his poor deep fried rear end to the curb where he still languishes until they feel like fixing him. Also comedy answer, he's based off the Jackie Earle Haley remake Freddy, so he's short as hell and loses sightlines easily like the Hag, who's hunched way down.

Niche tier: Hag/Leatherface - There's two minds for Hag, one is people who just want to play her like any other killer and they'll say she's the worst killer in the game (Fred disagrees), then people who've figured out that she just takes a very different playstyle. Hag only really works with a certain set of perks and when you find the best cluster of close gens on a map, when this happens you can make a minefield around these gens and fortress up, survivors then have to come to you and that's when you pick them apart. Some people like it, others don't, I feel like she's an interesting enough killer though. Leatherface has one area where he truly shines, the basement. Take stuff like Insidious, Agitation etc. and get someone in the basement then lie in wait, when their buddies come for the rescue, block the stairs, fire up your chainsaw and wade in, Leatherface is perfectly built to massacre everyone who dares come to the basement.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 18, 2017

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Actually, wraith rework just hit. They've made going in/out of stealth far far less punishing and overall buffed the crap out of him. He still has the big weakness he had before: he has to hit you twice, and he has to run at you to do it. I doubt it's made him competitive with the big boys as any killer that requires noed is automatically kind of hosed, but you should at least be able to put a couple people on a hook before gates are powered now.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Doctor is annoying to play against, but I respect him. You just need to be real careful of the insane range/splash from his static field which is obviously harder on some maps than others.

I'm not going to shed a single tear for Freddy at all, though. The mechanics just don't support the idea of his design while actually being fun or interesting to fight against.

I mostly only play the shape, though. Because he's the best (And I'm really bad with billy).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Freddy was absolutely a bad design. The fact you literally can not avoid him means that the only thing you can do against him is pallet loops, meanwhile he makes the repair/heal/whatever a complete slog due to the reduction.

I feel like Killers just should not be invisible.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Freddy was absolutely a bad design. The fact you literally can not avoid him means that the only thing you can do against him is pallet loops, meanwhile he makes the repair/heal/whatever a complete slog due to the reduction.

I feel like Killers just should not be invisible.

Wraith's invisibility actually works along with the mechanics much, much better than something like Freddy.

Freddy is just a weird intersection of dumb ideas. Yes, ideally you get snapped out of it by another player, but if you can walk up to a gen while asleep and can't even get a skillcheck to appear after >30 seconds (at least) ...welp. Not even an option to fail.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Not to mention the way detection works with freddy. Object of obsession is free vision only for him, but spine chill works? But spine chill doesn't work for myers, but does for wraith. You end up with this confusing communication of "this lets you do x" but it doesn't and it's not really communicated in any way why.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Eldercain posted:

Not to mention the way detection works with freddy. Object of obsession is free vision only for him, but spine chill works? But spine chill doesn't work for myers, but does for wraith. You end up with this confusing communication of "this lets you do x" but it doesn't and it's not really communicated in any way why.

And it's even more complicated - it only does this for EW1 Myers.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

this game is

wait for it

wait for it......!!!!!

bad

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Thanks for the explanation guys. Doctor is still probably my favourite but I have at least one person disconnect every other match, usually more than that, and it's just irritating. I've been playing Huntress a bit, she's neat, and the GF is loving Michael Myers, so that's good. He's pretty fun to sneak up on people with and just stare at them for a while.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Just finished a game as Billy with no perks because I was going for the daily challenge. I’m rear end with Billy but got lucky and killed two survivors early-ish. The other two hid presumably waiting for the hatch.

I eventually caught one and hooked her, and stood nearby to see if the other would come save her or just look for the hatch. She came to save her, I caught her, they both died. Then in the post match screen they both complained about camping.

I mean, I was, but that seems like a good idea at the end, no? If there are two left, and I hook one, why is it frowned upon to watch the hooked one, should I just run away and let them get saved? I don’t make a habit of camping but that seems like a dumb time not to.

Am I the rear end in a top hat here? I’m still pretty new, but if I were survivor I would expect that.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
if you have two remaining survivors and they are fully immersed and just sitting there hiding waiting for the hatch, you have no reason to chase after them. While the game should be fun for everyone, your fun is just as important as theirs, and part of what's fun is getting points. You get no points by wandering off in a random direction and hoping to find someone when you have one person on the hook and one person hiding in a corner.

The correct action for the last survivor there, since they were looking for the hatch anyway, would have been to let the person die then take the hatch.

You played it correctly and fairly.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
When there's 2 left yeah you pretty much expect it. She should have gone for the hatch.

Now if there's 4 people in the game and you just camp the first person you put on a hook, that's lovely because then the entire game for that person is staring at you staring at them. Might as well just look at a jpg of the game at that point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Don't worry about it, people will cry camping even if you hook someone and stick around because all their SWF buddies immediately swarmed, because there is a contingent of players who really do believe you have to instantly run off in the opposite direction after hooking someone, otherwise you're violating their dumb house rules, so "camping" as well as "tunneling" are two phrases that have been pounded into near meaninglessness for the most part in this game.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

seriously, mega lol if you care about anything someone else says in this game. DOTA is the only game i've seen that comes close to how ridiculously toxic people can be for no goddamn good reason.

• Locked thread