Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Got a party without Crono. Am I correct in thinking he can't be removed from the party except when the plot removes him? Been a while since I played CT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You're correct. You're stuck with him pretty much until the endgame unlocks. I guess it's up to you whether you let him do anything in battle; IIRC dead PCs revive at the end of combat with 1HP?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I found some cheats for the SNES version if you're using an emulator to set your characters to whomever, but the game doesn't really cope well with them. Messing around with a Marle/Frog/Robo party leads to some pretty weird stuff in the Millenial Fair, to the point where I teleported Marle off, managed to leave, then softlocked the game when trying to teleport Marle agian. Might be worth doing for laughs, though.

At your own risk...

Position 1: 7E2980:??
Position 2: 7E2981:??
Position 3: 7E2982:??

Replace ?? with the following for each character:

00 - Crono
01 - Marle
02 - Lucca
03 - Robo
04 - Frog
05 - Ayla
06 - Magus

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I got Lucca/Robo/Ayla

So I got Demolitions Girl, a goddamn robot who can heal and blast in equal measure, and the cavewoman who could probably suplex TWO trains whenever they get invented. I can deal with this. :getin:

EDIT: So do they allow for swapping out characters for sidequests? Like, say, what if I want to do the Rainbow Shell event at Guardia Castle that requires Marle? Should I swap her in for a random character or would any rules-hounds prefer to skip the event entirely?

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I got Crono/Lucca/Frog. Team Early Game gooooo!

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/SA_Huzzah/status/940086662331187202

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/943975628377870336

Called shots.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like I don't get to play. I tweeted over an hour ago, and nothing. Oh well.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kheldarn posted:

Looks like I don't get to play. I tweeted over an hour ago, and nothing. Oh well.

Check the website, sometimes the bot gets throttled.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Check the website, sometimes the bot gets throttled.

I checked that, too. Nothing.

Then again, I'm noticing tweets in my timeline when I visit Twitter on my desktop that don't show up at all on my phone. I think Twitter is loving with my account. Wouldn't be the first time.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Lucca, Frog, Robo. Very nice team, with a lot of flexibility through most of the game.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I guess the bot and the creator's accounts both have me muted for some reason. I've tried multiple times, from different devices, apps, and even the website, and nothing.

Oh well. Have fun, guys!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kheldarn posted:

I guess the bot and the creator's accounts both have me muted for some reason. I've tried multiple times, from different devices, apps, and even the website, and nothing.

Oh well. Have fun, guys!

Is your Twitter timeline private? That'll gently caress it up.

Make a public sockpuppet account to use, that's what I do.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Is your Twitter timeline private? That'll gently caress it up.

Make a public sockpuppet account to use, that's what I do.

Nope. It's not private, and I'm not blocked. So either I'm muted, or Twitter screwed something up. :shrug:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Chrono, Robo, Ayla. Team punch mans go.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kheldarn posted:

Nope. It's not private, and I'm not blocked. So either I'm muted, or Twitter screwed something up. :shrug:

Sometimes Gilgabot gets throttled due to too many tweet replies in a short time.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, that was brought up upthread.

Less redundantly, remember that RK (the runner of these sites and Gilg's creator/maintainer) lives in Japan, so this is early morning for him. Not getting a reply right away doesn't mean you're shadowbanned or anything, just that he's probably asleep.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Now I really want FFXII fiesta. Theres 12 jobs available so randomizing them can lead to some funky parties. Also depending whether you use single or dual job system

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Crono, Lucca, Magus.

That's some good poo poo.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Virulence posted:

Crono, Lucca, Magus.

Hope you like healing with items!

poo poo, that team might actually make things a challenge. Emphasis on "might", the game is drat easy if you know all the tricks (which basically just takes one playthrough).

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I got Frog/Robo/Magus. Pretty nice for covering all the bases, though it's not that specialized a party as some. (It's also the very first one I beat the game with.)

Virulence posted:

Crono, Lucca, Magus.

The only tricky part is that you don't have healing techs, but thankfully CT is pretty forgiving about giving you healing items at shops and chests.

In more general news, this guide has some discussion on mechanics, in particular on how defensive stats only start mattering near the caps and on which double/triple techs are best for damage (as they nearly all inherit multipliers from their component single techs).

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Now I really want FFXII fiesta. Theres 12 jobs available so randomizing them can lead to some funky parties. Also depending whether you use single or dual job system

I originally thought it wouldn't work due to time, but ignoring completionism it looks like FFV is about 4 (speedrun) to 30 (normal) hours long while FFXII is 6 (speedrun) to 60 (normal) hours long. Both games can now be played with fast forward features. It's a worse ratio for completionist runs but the whole point of the Fiesta is to kill those grinding, elixer-hoarding tenancies that get in the way of interacting with the mechanics and enjoying the game.

I figure at this point the main obstacles are
1. RK has some questionable taste and thus hates everything Matsuno was involved in
2. Zodiac Age is a PS4 exclusive, which gives it a much smaller player base than a 25 year old game that runs on just about anything

I'd give it a few years.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I got Lucca, Ayla, Magus. Meh.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I got Lucca, Ayla, Magus. Meh.
Don't say "meh" about a party with Ayla when she can just steal everything you'd need to care about. Speed Tabs and Megalixirs at the least.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

Don't say "meh" about a party with Ayla when she can just steal everything you'd need to care about. Speed Tabs and Megalixirs at the least.

I say meh at a party that doesn't exist for 90% of the game.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

dis astranagant posted:

I say meh at a party that doesn't exist for 90% of the game.

To be fair, that applies to every party that doesn't have Crono assigned to it, since he's locked in your first slot for basically 90% of the game, down to maybe 75% if you factor in endgame sidequests.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Microcline posted:

2. Zodiac Age is a PS4 exclusive, which gives it a much smaller player base than a 25 year old game that runs on just about anything
PC port will happen someday. I have faith. I wouldn't usually but they've ported everything else including X/X-2 HD and WOFF to PC so SE has finally realized there's money in PC ports.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
Marle, Frog, Ayla

So I can heal really well and steal really well?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Playing this run on the DS version, and I just want to say that even years later, this is still one of my favorite JRPG lines ever. God bless the updated translation.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I will never turn down an excuse to replay Chrono Trigger after a few years away from it, even if it's the time of year where a new game influx hits me.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

WaltherFeng posted:

Same but a private server FFXI fiesta

Some 600 odd combos of main and sub jobs and most of them are bad or worthless :getin:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I left it alone, went to bed, went to work, and tried again. This time, I got a reply.

Crono, Lucca, Robo.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

Same but a private server FFXI fiesta

Some 600 odd combos of main and sub jobs and most of them are bad or worthless :getin:
Oh my god I never knew I could want such an awful thing. With my luck I’d end up with like, RDM/BST.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

What's the definitive version? SNES?

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Microcline posted:

What's the definitive version? SNES?

That or the DS version. Compared to the SNES, DS version has a few extras, like an updated translation (which is a love/hate thing depending on how nostalgic you are for the original goofier translation), a few anime cutscenes that were originally added to the PSX port, an extra multiplayer feature that sucks but thankfully can easily be ignored, and a few extra end/post-game sidequests. In short, most of the extras are fluff that doesn't really change the overall game, so it's mostly a matter of preference.

Except for the aforementioned PSX version. DO NOT play the PSX version. All it adds are the cutscenes I mentioned earlier, and the tradeoff is GODAWFUL load times; we're talking like 5 full seconds to enter the menu and 7-8 to start a battle.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

How is the mobile port? Is it as bad as the ff5 one?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh my god I never knew I could want such an awful thing. With my luck I’d end up with like, RDM/BST.

Rdm/bst would be the envy of thf/smns and pld/brds everywhere

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

Rdm/bst would be the envy of thf/smns and pld/brds everywhere
I would rather be useless than a Refresh slut.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I would job fair RDM/NIN so fast.

I quit XI right after Wings of the Goddess, was RDM/NIN tanking still a thing after that? Level cap was still 75 then.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

berenzen posted:

How is the mobile port? Is it as bad as the ff5 one?

Looking at it, the only things different from the DS version are the intrinsic Mobile Game wonkiness of bad controls and weird menu aesthetics. It doesn't look to overhaul things the same way the FF5/FF6 ports do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Marle, Lucca, Magus.

All the magic.

• Locked thread