Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Italy is really onto something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Like a bag of sand...

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Hey mewse, I think you got a GMMK recently. I think I'm finally gonna get a barebones TKL from them, but it looks like there's a referral program that might benefit us both:

https://www.pcgamingrace.com/pages/the-glorious-referral-program

:shobon:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, dope! Here's a thing

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Woohoo! I did the thing

Now to buy some switches from NovelKeys, but which ones...

Guess I'll at least wait for the switch tester I ordered to come in :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Woohoo! I did the thing

Now to buy some switches from NovelKeys, but which ones...

Guess I'll at least wait for the switch tester I ordered to come in :v:

You're gonna be like me and get stuck with a barebones board for an excruciating wait for lack of keyswitches!!

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but when I bought my GMMK TKL (that I love btw), I found that kbdfans had the best deal I could come up with on Gateron switches at 10 for $2. Free shipping on $40+

https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/swtich/products/smd-gateron-swtich

Took about 2 weeks to get here.

I had a switch tester and was waffling back and forth on browns and blacks, thinking I preferred the browns the most. Since the free shipping wasn't until 40 bucks, I ended up getting a full TKL set for both (and actually a some random other ones to play with) and turns out in practice on a full board I actually greatly prefer the blacks + o-rings... Who would have guessed. :D

Anyways, just awareness for the thread since I'm pretty sure 20 cents a switch is pretty cheap for SMD.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Looks like KBDFans will be offering a silent zealio killer soon, made by Gateron

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
They have what is essentially a brown stem tho.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dang, you're right, that bump isn't very pronounced.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Oh good, that will be one less switch candidate to filter through for what will eventually be on my GMMK, hopefully sooner than later

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I got the varmilo VA88M cmyk with browns. It's very nice. Just need to get a gimmick escape key and i'm set! (for now)

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Very nice, fellow Varmilo-having buddy. Love the crochet penguin too :)

What kind of novelty Esc key are you thinking of? My PANIC key amuses passersby sometimes. Or you can go full retard hog wild with a nice artisan. :D

How's the stabilizer noise on your VA88M? Mine were pretty rattly when I got them (but it was a used board, so maybe that's why). I was able to somewhat successfully lube them with dielectric grease and a thin paperclip, and they're much quieter now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Populated my gmmk TKL barebones with kailh purples. They seem significantly stiffer than my cherry brown keeb so I'm wondering if maybe they're the plums from NovelKeys.

No pics yet, I might wait til I get some milky white ABS caps I ordered. The RGB backlighting is awesome.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Kailh Purples definitely have a heavier bottom out weight. The 50g force listed for the Kailh Purples is the actuation weight and not the bottom out weight. You should check out the force curve for it. The plums look to be a bit heavier. For comparison, Cherry Browns actuate at around 40g and bottom out at 55g.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Kailh Purples definitely have a heavier bottom out weight. The 50g force listed for the Kailh Purples is the actuation weight and not the bottom out weight. You should check out the force curve for it. The plums look to be a bit heavier. For comparison, Cherry Browns actuate at around 40g and bottom out at 55g.

I had looked at the force curves and thought their bottom out force shouldn't be dissimilar.

MX Brown:

Kailh pro purple:

Like both their bottom out weights are shown as roughly 60g which is why I'm surprised the purps feel noticeably stiffer. I guess what I'm feeling with the purple switches is that long bar that hovers around 60g where the cherry goes from 50 to 60. I'm just surprised it's such a stark contrast.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mewse posted:

I had looked at the force curves and thought their bottom out force shouldn't be dissimilar.

MX Brown:

Kailh pro purple:

Like both their bottom out weights are shown as roughly 60g which is why I'm surprised the purps feel noticeably stiffer. I guess what I'm feeling with the purple switches is that long bar that hovers around 60g where the cherry goes from 50 to 60. I'm just surprised it's such a stark contrast.

I think that Cherry Brown force graph is wrong. Check out this one from Input Club:

https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/cherry-mx-brown/

The graph from here is definitely more in line in how it feels in person.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

I think that Cherry Brown force graph is wrong. Check out this one from Input Club:

https://input.club/the-comparative-guide-to-mechanical-switches/tactile/cherry-mx-brown/

The graph from here is definitely more in line in how it feels in person.

I think you're right. That graph also has the tactile bump at 45g which is what the switches are rated as.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

How long until I can start intuitively understanding those force graphs :(

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

When you can hammer your fingertips through a brick wall the force graphs for weakling switches are irrelevant. Living that green/black switch life.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

It's not too bad once you look at one and press a switch you own it'll make sense.

- The line at the top is when you physically press down on the switch, the line at the bottom is when the switch is let go/released.

- Operating point is the point when the press is registered as a keystroke. Reset point is when the switch is registered as being let go.

- x-axis is how far down the slider in the switch is pressed ("speed" switches reach the operating point at a far shorter distance for example), y-axis is for the force required to press the switch down.

It's no substitute to trying out the switches themselves but can give you a general idea on how the switch might feel.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 21, 2017

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Phosphine posted:

I got the varmilo VA88M cmyk with browns. It's very nice. Just need to get a gimmick escape key and i'm set! (for now)

I really like your keycaps! Your little friend is cute too.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

i'm gay.

Anyone ever opened a Realforce before? I sure hope I don't gently caress this up, once I get it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Constellation I posted:

It's not too bad once you look at one and press a switch you own it'll make sense.

- The line at the top is when you physically press down on the switch, the line at the bottom is when the switch is let go/released.

- Operating point is the point when the press is registered as a keystroke. Reset point is when the switch is registered as being let go.

- x-axis is how far down the slider in the switch is pressed ("speed" switches reach the operating point at a far shorter distance for example), y-axis is for the force required to press the switch down.

It's no substitute to trying out the switches themselves but can give you a general idea on how the switch might feel.

Thanks for the advice! The explanation makes sense, but I guess I'll just have to try a bunch of switches to really get the feel from the graphs.

On that note, the switch tester I ordered from NovelKeys last Wednesday arrived today! (So much for Priority Mail; thanks USPS for always failing to have proper capacity for the holiday season!) I got Kailh Speed Copper, Kailh Pro Purple, Kailh Box Brown, and Kailh Heavy Box Burnt Orange. They weren't kidding about the heavy burnt orange, so that one's not to my liking. I like the very very high location of the bump on the Copper and the Brown, but the Copper's bump feels sharper and nicer to me. The Purple feels a lot like Gateron Brown, but with a somewhat stronger bump. I think I like the Speed Copper the best out of the four.

Lucky for me, because NovelKeys is out of stock of the Pro Purple that I originally had my sights on (thanks again USPS! :argh:), and they're also out of the Box Browns too. Guess I'll be ordering Coppers for the GMMK that should hopefully arrive soon too!

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 21, 2017

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Megalixir posted:

i'm gay.

Anyone ever opened a Realforce before? I sure hope I don't gently caress this up, once I get it.

Opening a Realforce is the easiest thing. Install kbdfans silence-x while you're at it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Very nice, fellow Varmilo-having buddy. Love the crochet penguin too :)

What kind of novelty Esc key are you thinking of? My PANIC key amuses passersby sometimes. Or you can go full retard hog wild with a nice artisan. :D

How's the stabilizer noise on your VA88M? Mine were pretty rattly when I got them (but it was a used board, so maybe that's why). I was able to somewhat successfully lube them with dielectric grease and a thin paperclip, and they're much quieter now.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I really like your keycaps! Your little friend is cute too.

Thanks! He's my rubber duck at work, a coworker/friend made him for me.

PANIC is what I was thinking of, I think it would look great/stupid on this.

I don't think it has any rattling or any unexpected noise, but I haven't used it much yet so we'll see.

Deviantfish
Jun 25, 2006

P L E A S E
D O N ' T
Grimey Drawer

Megalixir posted:

i'm gay.

welcome to the gay hype train. i will be contributing pictures of my aesthetics'ed out black key, white winkeyless case RF in eight years when cases ship

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
https://pimpmykeyboard.com/panic-dcs-sa/ this says "Panic Keys available in DCS Row 1 or SA Row 3". I think I want DCS Row 1, from my understanding. Yes?

Edit: to clarify, as the esc key on my Va88, pictured above

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Dec 22, 2017

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Phosphine posted:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/panic-dcs-sa/ this says "Panic Keys available in DCS Row 1 or SA Row 3". I think I want DCS Row 1, from my understanding. Yes?

Edit: to clarify, as the esc key on my Va88, pictured above

It's the closest, yeah. Row 1 for DCS is quite a bit taller than Cherry, but for one key like escape, it's not too bad I guess.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
GMK Nautilus finally arrived for me as well. I think I'll be using this combo as my work keyboard.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I got to go to the Living Computer Museum the other day (which was incredible) and saw some fantastic keyboards.

I have a Cherry MX keyboard. What keycaps could I get that would closest mirror this style of keyboard?

It seems like SA caps are pretty similar. Is there a good vendor for them?

mewse
May 2, 2006

beepsandboops posted:

It seems like SA caps are pretty similar. Is there a good vendor for them?

SA and DSA approximate that style. SA is a hi-profile set (tall caps) where DSA has all rows at a uniform height so all the caps are basically interchangeable.

I think maxkey SA sets are super nice (someone will come here and tell you I'm an idiot), the 'canonical' maker for SA sets is signature plastics, those sets will be on massdrop as limited releases or reddit mechmarket second hand.

If you read a lot of nerd posts they poo poo on maxkey sets for having bad kerning on the shift key legend, and saying "BACK SPACE" instead of "BACKSPACE", they're being neurotic and it looks fine to me.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Maxkey has fixed the kerning issues for the most part now. The only differences between them and Signature Plastics now are some minor font issues (ESC, 1 key) and that SP is more cylindrical up top and shinier.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

I like the "BACK SPACE" style better than the more "correct" "BACKSPACE"

I can at least recommend Signature Plastics' sculpted SA sets. Here's (another chance to plug) my Godspeed set. The angle should give you an idea of the height and shape of the keys:

wow, you can really see the amount of shine I've put on these caps in just a month ...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Constellation I posted:

Maxkey has fixed the kerning issues for the most part now. The only differences between them and Signature Plastics now are some minor font issues (ESC, 1 key) and that SP is more cylindrical up top and shinier.

Unfortunately the Maxkey prices are moving towards SP prices as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Picked up an Aukey 87 key for 30 bucks. Feels incredibly solid for the price. But good god this thing might be able to awaken the dread from their slumber. Not entirely sure if I like the noise level yet.

Also, Aukey forgot to package in the 9 orange keys and the key puller. Guess i'll have to contact support and see if they can send me those.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Words of wisdom.

https://twitter.com/jokayso/status/944431808455700480

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:drat:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Reading through the comments, he posted a link on where to get one.

I have nowhere to put it and yet I want one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m committing heresy but after three whole days of ownership i fully believe blue keycaps are deafeningly loud holy crap

just playing shooter games alone is enough noise to wake the dead