Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

civilization vi just came out for ipad air 2 or newer. in-app unlock is 30 bucks for now

this world where devs can build apps for a different platform just by slapping a touch interface on top sure is a waking nightmare
they added touch support to it in civ 5. sometimes I play 6 on my laptop and poke at the screen to do things. its nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
non sexhavers discussing video games as per usual

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux users pretending they're not jealous they don't get video games as per usual.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
while youre wasting your time having sex and high fiving yourself about what a playa you are im improving myself learning negotiation techniques and ruthless leadership. who is childish now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

poty posted:

while youre wasting your time having sex and high fiving yourself about what a playa you are im improving myself learning negotiation techniques and ruthless leadership. who is childish now

while you were playing Civ VI on an Mac, I was studying the Steve Jobs Way

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

(because you OBVIOUSLY intend to use autocomplete=“off” to thwart password managers, and not because, say, the form is a password reset or for some other legitimate purpose)

autocomplete=off is the 21st century equivalent of the blink tag, and browsers are right to ignore it

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

while you were playing Civ VI on an Mac, I was studying the Steve Jobs Way

While you studied the Steve Jobs way,
I studied The Blade.

While you butt-chugged fruit juice,
I drank XXL Big Gulp Diet Cokes.

While you ironed your mock turtleneck and jeans,
I wiped my greasy hands on my shirt.

While you carefully maintained your permanent 5 o’clock shadow,
I let my neckbeard grow downward and connect to my chest hair.

And now that Apple has admitted to planned obsolescence,
You have the audacity to ask ME for help?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Doc Block posted:

I studied The Blade.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Doc Block posted:

I studied The Blade.

:discourse:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

see also: chome ignores autocomplete=“off” on password forms and will always fill the field IMMEDIATELY BEFORE a type=password field with a username (because you OBVIOUSLY intend to use autocomplete=“off” to thwart password managers, and not because, say, the form is a password reset or for some other legitimate purpose)

I remember reading a piece years ago about a bank who explicitly would not support Firefox for its website until it allowed disabling autocomplete (or autofill).

There Will Be Penalty fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 22, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

steve jobs' dream finally realized, everything is a webview

steve dreaming of webos a dream come true

ComradeCosmobot posted:

chome ignores autocomplete=“off” on password forms and will always fill the field IMMEDIATELY BEFORE a type=password field with a username (because you OBVIOUSLY intend to use autocomplete=“off” to thwart password managers, and not because, say, the form is a password reset or for some other legitimate purpose)

this is something we had to set for screen readers so it didnt read 'autocomplete' for every field of an advanced search form so way to annoy a bunch of users google

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Doc Block posted:

I studied The Blade.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

noel lee super regretting sending his idiot son to negotiate with jimmy iovine,

quote:

Apple’s Beats Electronics won a $7.9 million jury verdict meant to compensate the audio products unit for the legal fees it paid in defeating a $1 billion fraud suit from Monster LLC, reports Law360.
[Beats.jpeg]

In August 2016 a judge dismissed the key claims in a lawsuit alleging that Beats Electronics duped one of its early partners before negotiating its $3 billion sale to Apple in 2014. The summary judgment issued by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge William Fahey resolved the core of a case that accused Beats co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine of double-crossing former partner Noel Lee, founder of video and audio cable maker Monster LLC.

Monster CEO Lee said in the suit that he and Monster invented the technology behind the Beats headphones. The suit claimed that Beats co-founders Iovine and Dre (Andre Young) committed fraud in pirating the headphones away from Lee and Monster.

The suit charged that the Beats co-founders concealed the role of Monster and Lee in designing and engineering the headphone line, as well as educating them about engineering, manufacturing, distributing and selling the headphones that Monster and Lee invented.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

noel lee super regretting sending his idiot son to negotiate with jimmy iovine,
how does the best story in tech manage to keep getting better?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
who can you trust if you can't trust people who beat up women

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
the beats studio 3 are good. thanks monster

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Class action lawsuits are starting over the battery thing. Grats to all iPhone havers getting a $0.34 credit towards a new iPhone several years from now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm still trying to figure out how the lifecycle management thing is a "thing"

like, the preferred system would be for your phone to start shutting off at 30% charge after two years, like an android?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
“I paid for my megahurts and I want them all dammit” is my guess

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
phone buyers obsessed with stats and bezel to screen ratio

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so what clock speed does apple advertise the iphone runs at?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

like, the preferred system would be for your phone to start shutting off at 30% charge after two years, like an android?
Does iOS warn you about battery condition at all?

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

so what clock speed does apple advertise the iphone runs at?

Apple doesn’t advertise clock speed on iPhones. they’ll mention things like relative performance compared to a previous generation, but not how many gigglehertz it has

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

when it hits a certain point yes. that point is below the one where the throttling kicks in though

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Fabricated posted:

Yeah, they give you a polite thing telling you the battery endurance is low and you should consider servicing it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Scott Forstall posted:

Apple doesn’t advertise clock speed on iPhones. they’ll mention things like relative performance compared to a previous generation, but not how many gigglehertz it has

no kidding.

funny that, seems like it might be difficult to sue them over a metric they never advertised

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

no kidding.

funny that, seems like it might be difficult to sue them over a metric they never advertised

can you sue car manufacturers when your 2 year old car no longer outputs its rated horsepower?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

when it hits a certain point yes. that point is below the one where the throttling kicks in though

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah, they give you a polite thing telling you the battery endurance is low and you should consider servicing it.

If that's the case i dunno if it's really deceptive. The answer is to just give the user more info sooner.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Plank Walker posted:

can you sue car manufacturers when your 2 year old car no longer outputs its rated horsepower?

No, and it won't.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

They’re called human emotions

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

“CRAPPLE IS loving US AGAIN!!1!!” + tech news websites writing intentionally misleading articles to get clicks + defendant is the wealthiest company on Earth = class action lawsuit.

I read somewhere that Apple is the most sued company in the US.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I had an iphone 5 that started shutting off at like 35% when it got old. It was extremely annoying.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

the fact that the criteria for throttling and for displaying the notification that you should replace your battery are different is a bit of a problem, but it's basically just a bug resulting from two different teams working on mostly unrelated things not talking to each other enough and not some grand conspiracy to make you buy a new iphone

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

too bad you can't just pop open an iphone and replace the battery like i used to do on my razr

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Every time I want to play a podcast episode which is rare I have to spend several minutes while driving randomly going though nested dialogs with items like 'play next' but never am able to actually just play. Eventually some bar will appear with a play button and I have no idea what triggers it. Why isn't there just select episode > play

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

akadajet posted:

I had an iphone 5 that started shutting off at like 35% when it got old. It was extremely annoying.

if you take it in to the apple store they'll probably just replace the battery for free if it is that bad, worked for two people i know

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i'm glad they are getting poo poo on. if you insist for years and years that you don't slow down older phones when you release a new iOS version, you should actually loving notify people when you slow their phones down, no matter the reason for doing so.

the phone will alert you for poo poo like using an unauthorized charging cable, a recurring notification of "iPhone in battery protection mode due to battery wear. Swipe to see repair options." is not an unreasonable expectation.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

C.H.O.M.E posted:

if you take it in to the apple store they'll probably just replace the battery for free if it is that bad, worked for two people i know

hahaha no. they went into some menu and said the battery was fine. I was pretty angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you aren’t even credentialed enough to disagree with the diagnosis of a genius