Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

rgocs posted:

I recently met someone whose daughter had been bitten on the face by their dog. Daughter was 2 years old at the time, dog was older. She told us how she and her daughter were hanging out on their couch, the dog was there too, calm, and suddenly just snapped and bit her, hard. Daughter had to have surgery, dog had to be put down.

Gonna guess that the kid was encroaching on the dogs space and they weren't aware of the signs the dog was giving that it was getting upset. For some reason couches seem trigger defensive behavior in dogs though I'd really guess it's just the "I'm in bed now why are you getting up in my business" kind of reaction. A dog that's chilling and relaxing on the couch is a dog that doesn't want someone taking its space away

Our dog is kind of weird and I've worried about her and our kid but we've also had a ton of practice reading her body posture and signals before having a kid so that helps, and she's also been real good in some ways about our kid even as he's starting to run around the place. She alert barks if she feels she needs to and isn't aggressive about it and we're super careful about their interactions and try to help them "play" together (have him throw a ball, etc). But even the best dog in the world can bite if put into the wrong situation so I think it's all about trying to not force them into that bad situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Levitate posted:

I'm kind of wary about labeling everything dogs do as resource guarding unless you're also thinking that wanting their own space is considered resource guarding.

Yeah that's probably a stretch - but it's all closely related.
http://www.safetyarounddogs.org/statistics.html

330k ER visits due to dog bites - this is common as hell - and worth doing some 'baby proofing' for.

Seems pretty common that people with very young kids have aging dogs (we did until our dog died). I'd guess that the dog getting older and less mobile can factor into it. When the dog was healthy they'd just walk away / move away from the obnoxious kid. When they get older they don't have that mobility so then end up snapping and biting.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
well gastroenteritis is fun. Especially when you have 2 months old twins.Had to lock myself up with my oldest son to protect my girlfriend and babies.

Guess who's puking hi guts out right now

extra fun since I have an otitis and ruptured ear drum. Just thinking of the antibiotics I will need to start taking again... That won't be a fun week

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 8, 2017

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I think I posted before but if you have kids under 5 you should have zofran in house for these occasions. And good luck to rest of the family. That poo poo moves through the air because of poop diapers. I never knew I could get so drat sick and not die

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

DangerZoneDelux posted:

I think I posted before but if you have kids under 5 you should have zofran in house for these occasions. And good luck to rest of the family. That poo poo moves through the air because of poop diapers. I never knew I could get so drat sick and not die

They gave zofran to the kid when we went to the ER yesterday.

Can you really get it from the air?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's not really in the air but the poo poo particles are microscopic and travel pretty far if your kid is wearing diapers. If potty trained you can wipe down everything but it's still hard to stop the spread

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
And now the 8-month-old has decided that he can only fall asleep while being held...and now wakes up every hour or two to scream his head off about it.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress. Argh!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Eh our twins were like that from the beginning until over 1 year, every evening we'd have to walk them until they slept. Music helped, I'd go hum this classic swedish song and they'd sleep pretty quickly, also this song in particular worked if played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CgVjI-LiiY

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Axiem posted:

And now the 8-month-old has decided that he can only fall asleep while being held...and now wakes up every hour or two to scream his head off about it.

If this is something that you want to take care of, there are lots of options and resources about ending sleep associations. We had a lot of success in our family with Ferber's graduated extinction method. A few pages ago we had a problem where one of our twins picked up the habit of getting a bottle in the middle of the night (Because I'm loving stupid and gave him one.) I let this previously-sleeping-through-the-night-perfectly baby wake up multiple times a night for 2 months before re-committing to fixing it. It started getting better immediately, and we were back to normal by like, night 3.

If that's not your thing, cool! There are probably lots of other strategies out there as well. But if this is something you don't want to have to keep doing, you can do something about it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
My son gets scared of xmas decoration that dance/sing. Anything I can do about that?

He got scared this halloween when they had a bunch of them in the changing all at daycare and now he's just as scared with the xmas ones. I can't avoid it since it's at daycare and him crying every morning/evening is getting old real fast.

Everynow and then he won't be scared and finds them funny and dance along with them, but then he'll remember he's scared of them and start crying/run away and stuff. I don't really know how to act to make things better and not accidently make them worst. Doesn't seem like what I've tried up to now works at all.

He's 2y3m old.
I tried : making it a big show that it's fun/dance/sing with it.
Tell him that they are nice ornaments (he LOVES xmas stuff in general, we'll go out in his stroller just to look at all the stuff neighbours put outside and similar) and that he does not have to be scared.
Tell him that I understand that he is scared, that it's ok but that it's not dangerous. That they are fun and beautiful and stuff.

kirsty
Apr 24, 2007
Too lazy and too broke

Axiem posted:

It could be a lot of things, but I distinctly remember my son going through a massive sleep regression around that age. (To put it in perspective, that sleep regression is one of my strongest memories of his first year. He is now six.)

Eliminate other possibilities like illness and discomfort, and if that doesn't improve the situation then just keep trying to be as consistent as possible with sleep routines, survive on caffeine, and know that it will pass at some stage!

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yep my newly eighth month olds sleep has gone to poo poo. We cosleep and he’s up every two hours at least spitting out his pacifier and tossing and turning but no wanting to nurse. It’ll pass

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Sleep regressions are the worst. Our 14 month old just had a wicked 15 day long one where he was suddenly waking up at 1am and honest to god not getting back to sleep till 4am. It passed about two weeks ago and I’m still waking up in the middle of the night hearing phantom screaming.

I think I also remember one from around the 8 month mark, so hopefully it passes for you soon.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Yeah, this is our third kid. Nothing new. But that makes it no less frustrating, and let us all remember that sleep deprivation is considered torture.

Meanwhile the middle child has gotten sick and I’m really hoping it’s not the strain of whooping cough that’s been going around. He’s up-to-date with vaccines, but that doesn’t stop the worry.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

KingColliwog posted:

My son gets scared of xmas decoration that dance/sing. Anything I can do about that?

He got scared this halloween when they had a bunch of them in the changing all at daycare and now he's just as scared with the xmas ones. I can't avoid it since it's at daycare and him crying every morning/evening is getting old real fast.

Everynow and then he won't be scared and finds them funny and dance along with them, but then he'll remember he's scared of them and start crying/run away and stuff. I don't really know how to act to make things better and not accidently make them worst. Doesn't seem like what I've tried up to now works at all.

He's 2y3m old.
I tried : making it a big show that it's fun/dance/sing with it.
Tell him that they are nice ornaments (he LOVES xmas stuff in general, we'll go out in his stroller just to look at all the stuff neighbours put outside and similar) and that he does not have to be scared.
Tell him that I understand that he is scared, that it's ok but that it's not dangerous. That they are fun and beautiful and stuff.

If my 3 year old is anything to go by, the answer is a big ol' nope. Her simultaneous delight and fears are Santa, inflatable bounce houses with slides, all bugs ever, and tunnel slides. Let me tell you, that last one was a ton of fun today when she climbed up the slide at a playplace and remembered "oh yeah, I'm loving terrified of going down these things." Sending up her friends to coax her down the slide with them did nothing. We basically had to wait for her to calm down long enough to realize/acknowledge us telling her she could just climb down the damned climb-y steps in the first place.

I think eventually something in their lizard brains will click, but until then I don't think you can do anything except what you're doing already; model that things are safe, tell him its okay, and acknowledge that he's feeling scared.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
That's helpful thanks. The people working at daycare offered me to change him in another room instead and I'm torn. I don't want to teach him to just avoid stuff you're scared of but I don't want to traumatisé him either. My knowledge of the developmental stage of A 2 years old isn't sufficient for me to make a decision based on anything other than gut feeling. Other people's opinion are welcomed

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why does my kid insist on eating stems off all my spinach and why is it the only part of spinach he will eat, argh

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'd like to know who the hell are teaching my kids manners, they're saying "thank you for dinner" now, and "it was good daddy". I just left the table after we where done and sat down to look at a fusion 360 tutorial and they both come and thank me. More like they're teaching me manners.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'd like to know who the hell are teaching my kids manners, they're saying "thank you for dinner" now, and "it was good daddy". I just left the table after we where done and sat down to look at a fusion 360 tutorial and they both come and thank me. More like they're teaching me manners.

This is such a weird humblebrag.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'll brag about my kids if I want to when they do good.

In conclusion gently caress yourself and your stupid posts in this thread, that is, all of them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I'll brag about my kids if I want to when they do good.

In conclusion gently caress yourself and your stupid posts in this thread, that is, all of them.

You do realize that SA is (was) a place where you can talk poo poo to other posters. I think actual discussions about parenting and issues are interesting. Dropping in with stupid brags about your kids nobody cares about gets called out. Sorry bout that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

If you like interesting discussions about parenting you should do the thread a huge favor and stop posting.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

KingColliwog posted:

That's helpful thanks. The people working at daycare offered me to change him in another room instead and I'm torn. I don't want to teach him to just avoid stuff you're scared of but I don't want to traumatisé him either. My knowledge of the developmental stage of A 2 years old isn't sufficient for me to make a decision based on anything other than gut feeling. Other people's opinion are welcomed

If he's scared often enough that they offered to switch rooms, I'd probably switch. I think 2 is probably too young to worry about it setting a precedent that you can avoid stuff you're scared of, so think of it more like ensuring he and his caretakers have the best chances possible at a great day.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

1up posted:

If he's scared often enough that they offered to switch rooms, I'd probably switch. I think 2 is probably too young to worry about it setting a precedent that you can avoid stuff you're scared of, so think of it more like ensuring he and his caretakers have the best chances possible at a great day.

Thanks.

She told me that he wasn't crying when she changed him there though... Kids make no sense!
I think I'll avoid the situation until xmas is over with.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

If you like interesting discussions about parenting you should do the thread a huge favor and stop posting.

Read my post history dawg.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Kids get weird fears sometimes. My oldest kid was scared of stuffed animals for a few months. Eventually it went away.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

sullat posted:

Kids get weird fears sometimes. My oldest kid was scared of stuffed animals for a few months. Eventually it went away.

Mine used to hate going down steep hills in the car. Funny the first time, but living on a hill it started to grate.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

At about 18 months, my toddler went from loving baths to being so afraid of them he wouldn't even go into the bathroom because he didn't want to be close to the tub, to loving them again in the course of about a month.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Oh yea, I also forgot we have an ongoing battle with the Dyson hand driers. The fear has also been absorbed into the 3 year old too.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Automatic flushing toilets were out son's worst nightmare for a while when he was 2 or 3.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I will be flying with our almost 5 month old for the first time in January. Unfortunately the flights (out and back home) are both when she would normally be down for the night. I will take any and all advice on making this as stress free as possible. I bottle feed and the flight will be 3 hrs. Go!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Spadoink posted:

I will be flying with our almost 5 month old for the first time in January. Unfortunately the flights (out and back home) are both when she would normally be down for the night. I will take any and all advice on making this as stress free as possible. I bottle feed and the flight will be 3 hrs. Go!

Feed during the taxi or immediate take off. Hopefully that heads off any ear pressure and helps nudge her into sleep during the main part of the flight.

At least that’s how it worked for my six month old when we flew.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spadoink posted:

It was a good thing for us to fly when P would normally sleep, since we would just sleep through most of the flight.

Seconding the feeding during takeoff and landing, it goes a long way to prevent anxiety and ear pain.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

rgocs posted:

Automatic flushing toilets were out son's worst nightmare for a while when he was 2 or 3.

For any other parents dealing with this, I've heard that keeping a small roll of painter's tape on hand is incredibly helpful in covering up the sensors that make the toilet flush before the kid in question is ready.

Barry Bluejeans fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 19, 2017

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
Thanks for the advice for travelling. I have another area that my husband and I are concerned about: tv. Again, the boo is less than 5 mos old. She sleeps well during the day with low volume low-key shows on behind her, which I figure is ok, more like white noise. I also keep the tv off (or with spotify playing, Raffi or holiday music) during the day with her otherwise, but we tend to watch tv in the evenings when hubby is home, so she ends up 'watching' it while eating or while getting changed/playing on the floor etc. The general consensus appears to be no tv ever until 2 years old, and I have no intention of sitting her down to 'watch' tv, but I can't find any official warnings or guidelines on this passive background tv consumption. Would love to hear others' views/experiences. We are in an apartment and all of our 'living' takes place in the living room where the tv is, and space means her gear is out here too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Spadoink posted:

Thanks for the advice for travelling. I have another area that my husband and I are concerned about : tv. Again, the boo is less than 5 mos old. She sleeps well during the day with low volume low-key shows on behind her, which I figure is ok, more like white noise. I also keep the tv off (or with spotify playing, Raffi or holiday music) during the day with her otherwise, but we tend to watch tv in the evenings when hubby is home, so she ends up 'watching' it while eating or while getting changed/playing on the floor etc. The general consensus appears to be no tv ever until 2 years old, and I have no intention of sitting her down to 'watch' tv, but I can't find any official warnings or guidelines on this passive background tv consumption. Would love to hear others' views/experiences. We are in an apartment and all of our 'living' takes place in the living room where the tv is, and space means her gear is out here too.

So there's no consensus other than you should limit kids' screen time as much as possible. If your baby ends up "watching" TV while you're watching it, it's not a huge deal.

The problem comes in when people use it as a babysitter/parent stand-in. You're posting here with questions so you probably don't fall into that camp.

You're also already on your way towards keeping screens off in the background which is generally advised.

It's up to you when to allow screen time and how much for your child.

Edit: Side topic: gently caress half-birthdays. My son always seems to be more crabby around this time. The holidays may play a part in that but he's just a complete grump at the same time every year.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spadoink posted:

Thanks for the advice for travelling. I have another area that my husband and I are concerned about : tv. Again, the boo is less than 5 mos old. She sleeps well during the day with low volume low-key shows on behind her, which I figure is ok, more like white noise. I also keep the tv off (or with spotify playing, Raffi or holiday music) during the day with her otherwise, but we tend to watch tv in the evenings when hubby is home, so she ends up 'watching' it while eating or while getting changed/playing on the floor etc. The general consensus appears to be no tv ever until 2 years old, and I have no intention of sitting her down to 'watch' tv, but I can't find any official warnings or guidelines on this passive background tv consumption. Would love to hear others' views/experiences. We are in an apartment and all of our 'living' takes place in the living room where the tv is, and space means her gear is out here too.

you're fine as you're doing - the problem with screens at a young age is that they encourage neglect, like just propping your kid in front of the tv or handing them a phone to keep them quiet. which is massively handy sometimes but definitely not something you should habitually be doing. just the tv being on in the same room isn't going to cause any problems though. mostly the problem with screens is that it takes up time during a critical phase of human development when kids should be developing basic skills like motor skills, language, socialization, imagination etc. which are more difficult to do when you're plugged into peppa pig

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Thwomp posted:

Edit: Side topic: gently caress half-birthdays. My son always seems to be more crabby around this time. The holidays may play a part in that but he's just a complete grump at the same time every year.

This is actually a “thing.” Most kids tend to be pretty even keeled for the first half of each age “year” and then enter a disequilibrium for the second half. So, 2 is probably okay, but 2 1/2 is a bitch, and so on...

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
My cousin recently made a big show on Facebook of how one of her sons got in trouble too much this month and now she's 'donating' some of his presents. My wife and I find it a little disconcerting, because he's only five, and they have this complicated dynamic (2 of her sons are adopted, and 2 are stepsons) which my cousin seems ill equipped to manage.

Theres two issues with this. The first is the concept of taking away /withholding Christmas gifts as punishment. As common of a tactic as this is, I don't think it really works. Chances are it will just make the child anxious or cynical. But on the other hand, it is important to establish boundaries with kids and teach the consequences of actions.

My other issue is making a huge production about how he's getting punished, and all the back patting she's getting for being a Good Mom. This is part of a trend I've seen in the last decade where parents are very public with their discipline via Facebook. I find it troubling because nothing really goes away on the internet. It is one thing for a parent to privately take a kids Xbox away as punishment for falling behind in school, and it is a whole other matter of making a Facebook post where the parent is dramatically hurling it off the third floor balcony with their kid bawling in the foreground. Parents that do this strike me as really insecure because they have to make such a public display of disciplining their kid to reassure others (mainly themselves) that they are a responsible parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Not sure what response you might be looking for besides "yea it's bad jim". But its pretty bad. One of my favorite "baby" books is Brain Rules for Baby which talks a good bit about the differences between Authoritative and Authoritarian parenting. The difference mainly being performing actions and discipline from a place of caring, with reason and logic as the backbone of punishments.