Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Pottersville feels like it's supposed to be a movie about a man that goes on a killing spree dressed as Bigfoot and someone recut it to be a comedy. It's so loving weird.

Firstborn posted:

I also low how there was conflict when Ian Mcshane's actual hunter got involved when the clear answer is... just stop being the Bigfoot. At least for a while. He treats it like he is Batman or something.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched. Like, there's literally no reason for him to keep going, but he does. He even leaves behind a note just incase he doesn't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was it ever explained why the movie alludes to It's a Wonderful Life despite not having anything to do with it? Like, even the tagline is "It's a Magical Life", but...?

Also here is Michael Shannon being funny by being Michael Shannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dngOH9G4UPw

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The mailbag episode was relateable. One of my least favourite Christmas moments was when my cousin gave me Transformers on DVD for Christmas despite me telling him earlier that year that I didn't like the film. I don't think I have it in me to tear someone down like that listener did to his mom, but unlike most unwanted presents that I've received, I didn't even give it a chance. There was no second opinion, I knew the film was trash. I just snuck it into my dad's movie collection and let it be.

And the guys were spot on about all those puds that think Die Hard being a Christmas film is supposed to mindblowing. I have a cousin that 's made a habit of dropping that eye-opening fact every Christmas, like I mean drat!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The mailbag was incredible. I can't decide if the best one was the Christmas Vacation 2 disaster or the kid who sold out his brother after seeing how wind was blowing over Diddy Kong Racing.

The best Christmas movie is Batman Returns.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DoubleCakes posted:

The mailbag episode was relateable. One of my least favourite Christmas moments was when my cousin gave me Transformers on DVD for Christmas despite me telling him earlier that year that I didn't like the film. I don't think I have it in me to tear someone down like that listener did to his mom, but unlike most unwanted presents that I've received, I didn't even give it a chance.

Man that kid's brother should have been drowned in a tub.

I too found that story relatable; in 1990, I wanted the Ninja Turtles arcade game for NES more than anything. In my impatience, I sliced the wrapping on what I thought was it; turned out to be the original hard as balls TMNT for NES that I already had. Making matters worse, it was my "early present" on Xmas Eve, so not only did I ashamedly have to tell them it was the wrong one, they got mad at me for slicing the paper.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JT Smiley posted:

Pottersville feels like it's supposed to be a movie about a man that goes on a killing spree dressed as Bigfoot and someone recut it to be a comedy. It's so loving weird.

Finally got around to watching it as I'll be listening to the episode tomorrow during my 10 hour drive to visit my parents. I couldn't get over that amber filter and sparse lighting they used for everything that just hammered it home. It felt like it was a dark parking lot in the 80's.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The whimsical music when he is making the costume I found really out of place until the guys pointed out how terrifying it would be otherwise. It's a dumb movie, and Dangle is farting all over the movie.

They are taking a break and coming back in two weeks with something, right? What was it again?

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Boss Baby is in two weeks, if I recall, and next week is live Constantine - can't wait to hear them talk about Peter Stormare as Lucifer chewing that movie's scenery and also the scenery of neighboring movies that were too slow to run away :haw:

Edit: I could never watch this enough times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Rxx6QNqQI

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2017

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I kind of liked Constantine from what I remember. The best possible scenario is more jokes about the guy living in his guest house who signs him up for movies he doesn't want to do

BRIAN! Brian, did you tell the director that I'm English, Brian? I'm not doing an English accent, BRIAN, nobody liked it in Dracula!

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Constantine is a bad movie where some really good actors turn in great performances. It’s a good time if you’re willing to use the fast forward button.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The mailbag was incredible. I can't decide if the best one was the Christmas Vacation 2 disaster or the kid who sold out his brother after seeing how wind was blowing over Diddy Kong Racing.

The best Christmas movie is Batman Returns.

That wrestling/Diddy Kong racing story owns, it's my favorite story since the karate instructor at blockbuster story. So good.

The best Christmas movies is Eyes Wide Shut. :colbert:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Constantine is a bad movie where some really good actors turn in great performances. It’s a good time if you’re willing to use the fast forward button.

I've said for years that it has the best Satan in all of cinema.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

really hoping Bright makes their year-end Worst Of 2017 against all odds as a late pick because it sounds godawful

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
It'd give them a good avenue to talk poo poo about Max Landis, noted Garbage Person.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Well if RLM is any indication maybe them making fun of him would end up with him using studio money to fly out to New York to be in an episode with them and get Wilford Brimley to cameo.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has RLM shittalked Landis after his appearance?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I've said for years that it has the best Satan in all of cinema.

I'm trying to think of a better one and the only one who is maybe close is Jeff Goldblum.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's not a Freddy Save Christmas movie, but El Ray Network is going to do an Elm Streen marathon on Christmas. Too bad the guys didn't copyright that idea.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bright is like he saw Shadowrun and thought it was too anti-authority and too inclusive.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Marin Karin posted:

It'd give them a good avenue to talk poo poo about Max Landis, noted Garbage Person.

Yes, Orcs are frequently coded as black people in fantasy. Yes, it sucks.

grimstad
Apr 26, 2005
I suggested a stupid title so my brother put in a better one

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I'm trying to think of a better one and the only one who is maybe close is Jeff Goldblum.

Tim Curry in Legend. Great design, great performance.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Man that kid's brother should have been drowned in a tub.

I too found that story relatable; in 1990, I wanted the Ninja Turtles arcade game for NES more than anything. In my impatience, I sliced the wrapping on what I thought was it; turned out to be the original hard as balls TMNT for NES that I already had. Making matters worse, it was my "early present" on Xmas Eve, so not only did I ashamedly have to tell them it was the wrong one, they got mad at me for slicing the paper.

I did the exact same thing, except it was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for the Sega Genesis. I thought I could be slick and slide the game out of the gift wrap and the plastic seal, play it and put it back without her ever knowing. You can imagine how well that went. To make matters worse the game kinda sucked and my brothers and I were bored with it in about a day.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
https://twitter.com/jupin/status/944220712503529472

God bless

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Gonna laugh my rear end off if it's the debut Patreon ep.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

grimstad posted:

Tim Curry in Legend. Great design, great performance.

Viggo Mortenson from the Prophecy is up there, just sittin' with a Cenobite, chompin' on ripped out hearts.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Bright? More like.........dim

Does this make Will Smith the actor with the most appearances on WHM? Bad Boys II, After Earth, Suicide Squad, Wild Wild West, Winter's Tale, Collateral Beauty, and now Bright.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Does this make Will Smith the actor with the most appearances on WHM? Bad Boys II, After Earth, Suicide Squad, Wild Wild West, Winter's Tale, Collateral Beauty, and now Bright.

I think it might be one James Belushi - The Principal, Mr Destiny, Nine Months, Taking Care of Business, Jingle All the Way, Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe, Red Heat, Retroactive, probably others I can't remember

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DoombatINC posted:

I think it might be one James Belushi - The Principal, Mr Destiny, Nine Months, Taking Care of Business, Jingle All the Way, Abraxas: Guardian of the Universe, Red Heat, Retroactive, probably others I can't remember

Michael Caine might also be up there

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Michael Caine might also be up there

The Hand, The Last Witchhunter, and Jaws 4: The Revenge are all I can recall off the top of my head, what else was there?

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

The Hand, The Last Witchhunter, and Jaws 4: The Revenge are all I can recall off the top of my head, what else was there?

Blame it on Rio :gonk:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shock to the system, mr destiny, on deadly ground

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Coheed and Camembert posted:

They also did Men in Black II.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I still feel bad for telling my parents I wanted the Star Wars books about mechanical stuff and not about the people/characters.

Granted, the people one is funnier now because it was written before they established a lot of stuff, to say nothing about the retcons in the interim.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Well ok that one you can't blame me for forgetting

bobkatt013 posted:

Shock to the system, mr destiny, on deadly ground

These less so.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

K-9 and K-911. Still have yet to do the third K-9 movie.

Is there a movie that has all three of James Belushi, Will Smith, and Michael Caine?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Mr. Destiny (1990) has Caine and Belushi but neither have been in anything with Will Smith.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

See? I can be fun. *eh-heh.eh-heh.eh-heh.*

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I said it years ago in the Commercials You Hate thread, but Michael Shannon really does look like an older Vince Offer, of Slapchop fame.

Either that, or Vince Offer is his unfinished clone.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Captain Hotbutt posted:

See? I can be fun. *eh-heh.eh-heh.eh-heh.*

He looks as crazed as I'd expect-- wonderful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Firstborn posted:

Yes, Orcs are frequently coded as black people in fantasy. Yes, it sucks.

Actually saw the movie last night, and they aren't really done that way. It's weird, I think they may be a Muslim stand-in as far as allegories go? In the intro, the Ork listens to some rap music from some "gangsta" (Smith's words) neighbors, and comments all non-plussed "yeah great music" (it's some old Snoop track). Then later he is listening to heavy metal music and says it's one of the greatest love songs of his people. They go to a club later and it's more a Heavy Metal club than anything...

... But there is a line about Orks fighting Humans 2,000 years ago in Russia, and there are some Orks wearing track suits and chains...

BUT the main conflict involves the Ork potentially siding with his fellow Orks instead of his current police partner in a pinch, and there's some "are you an ork first or a police guy first".

It's a confusing movie. Will Smith is kind of sleepy in it, but he does do his little yelp while he is getting slammed around by CGI creatures a little, so there's that. If it was like a mini-series I would've enjoyed it more. The best parts are the one liners hinting at the idea that there really was some LOTR poo poo going down in medieval times, instead of say a Shadowrun-esque/District 9y "and then one day all these creatures appeared and fought for equal rights" or whatever.