Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not sure how I'm going to setup my party for super boss hunting. Giving Rex the "heal 20% of dmg dealt on crit" accessory doesn't seem to actually make a difference because even if he's spamming blade arts he can't out heal the damage he takes when targeted, so maybe an Overclock Bangle and World Tree Drop on him, an Overclock Bangle and the double auto attack accessory on Tora, and an Overclock Bangle and healing boost accessory on Nia? I should probably get Herald for Rex too, or maybe just have him use Wulfric, in place of his Smash-using blade since I'm pretty sure all the superbosses are immune to blade comboing. If they aren't then they just have insane resists because even with a legendardy-grade Beta Scope on Nia and Tora they have never landed a break on one of them.

Note: I do not consider the level 104 named thing to be a superboss, regardless of whether or not it is one, since I killed it at level 80.

Let me tell you how you do super bosses: The game's logic completely changes here. You absolutely need to do a chain attack with 8 orbs to stand a chance, and you need to set them up in the easiest and fastest way possible. You also really don't want to damage enemies any more than you need to, for 2 reasons: First, all superbosses have enrage attacks at certain HP levels, and second, quite a few of them can instantly activate reflect barriers that will reflect your damage and one shot the entire party if your attack damage is too high. If you set up an 8 orb chain attack it's extremely likely that you'll one shot everything in the game, but going all the way to 8 orbs with a full party gauge is the challenge here, more like a puzzle game.

So you basically want to spec for survivability and party gauge building. Basically ditch all the attackers and control a healer yourself (keep one attacker on each member for the hard hitting chain attacks though). Damage heal aux cores are extremely good since a lot of these bosses do multi hit attacks. A damage heal V plus a blade that also has the same skill makes them almost invincible (the healing plot blade, for example, which is a mainstay for my team as the one that keeps everyone alive and is out most of the time).

Good items here are the sigma and omega drive, which give you party bar for each driver art/critical. Put them on the entire party and you'll have a full bar in less than a minute, and will also build up enough bar to rez anyone since you'll need it.

Pouch items need to be full on special regen since you'll basically be doing only blade combos here. With 3.5 regen you'll be doing blade combos every 10 seconds.

Obviously you need access to all 8 elements.

Common blades with Orb master are absolutely essential. They cut the orb set up time by at least 50%. I have 2 and I can set up 8 orbs in 4 blade combos.

Another trick here is to time your blade combo finishers/level IV specials. You can avoid any party wiping attack in the game if you trigger them at the right time since you can't get damaged during them. For certain bosses, this is absolutely essential. Again, the healing blade's level IV takes ages and guarantees you'll avoid any attack while fully healing your party. Even during blade combo finishers the health regen over time kicks in and turns every blade combo finisher into a full heal.

And that's it, if you set up 8 orbs and do a chain attack it's almost guaranteed to kill anything in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Calaveron posted:

Why do I want to do Godfrey's merc quests if the rewards are just "gives Godfrey this skill that allows him to do his next merc quest" over and over

I think you have to do his last merc quest to unlock level 5 affinity.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Make sure you’re on the switch homescreen when you put it in sleep mode

Not that it matters anymore

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Bass Bottles posted:

Make sure you’re on the switch homescreen when you put it in sleep mode

Not that it matters anymore

I think it's more the fact that all the characters are level 99 in Chapter 4, not the /played time, because that's probably pretty accurate for that amount of grinding.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Oh wow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bizarre deformity posted:

Here are the patch notes in case anyone is interested:

-A Pro Controller can now be used when the Joy-Con Controllers are attached to the system in Tabletop Mode.

I'm glad this was fixed, I do this quite frequently and this was the only game I knew of where I had to detach joycons before it would accept the pro controller

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

In Training posted:

I'm glad this was fixed, I do this quite frequently and this was the only game I knew of where I had to detach joycons before it would accept the pro controller

I’m surprised there isn’t a common API supplied by Nintendo for this purpose.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Srice posted:

That's handy.

Are the rewards the exact same as playing on normal?

At first glance, it seems so, but I've definitely not done enough games in each mode to make an exhaustive list or anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
You know, it has bothered the hell out of me that Rex was promised 100k after finishing that first job and it never came up again. Give the boy his money, you fucks.

Also, Tora "borrowed" a titan and a ship from his uncle, immediately destroyed it, and this is never brought up again. That thing was probably his livelihood!

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I’m surprised there isn’t a common API supplied by Nintendo for this purpose.

Who's to say there isn't? There are clearly some hacks and rushed deadlines

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Oh, I also got Dagan yesterday. I heard that his affinity chart changes after a while. Is that true? I kinda like his design, so I might use him a lot if his affinity chart improves.

If you finish Dagas' quest, which unlocks fully in his fifth affinity line (green orb), it resets and changes his affinity tree and it's pretty good.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Momomo posted:

You know, it has bothered the hell out of me that Rex was promised 100k after finishing that first job and it never came up again. Give the boy his money, you fucks.

Also, Tora "borrowed" a titan and a ship from his uncle, immediately destroyed it, and this is never brought up again. That thing was probably his livelihood!

The story DLC will take place entirely IN COURT

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Bass Bottles posted:

The story DLC will take place entirely IN COURT

Not really. There's a reason the hangar is empty and you never see his uncle again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/944280128749690880

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Why do I want to do Godfrey's merc quests if the rewards are just "gives Godfrey this skill that allows him to do his next merc quest" over and over

It's not much, but I think it's required to unlock his actual side quest (with cutscenes and voice acting and stuff) that I think is necessary to get one of his tier 5 affinity spheres unlocked.

Speaking of Godfrey's side quest, is it necessary to be able to fight these level 84 tirkins to do it? I went to the area in Tantal and just saw the tirkins and wondered if I needed to get past them. It's possible the quest is before the tirkins and just isn't starting due to Pyra not being in my party right now (basically the same reason I think I can't finish Ursula's side quest).

edit: It's also kind of neat how some of these side quests also reveal random things about the setting/characters. Like, Godfrey's quest is about what happened to one of Bana's dancers after Bana left Argentum.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Momomo posted:

You know, it has bothered the hell out of me that

Tora "borrowed" a titan and a ship from his uncle, immediately destroyed it, and this is never brought up again. That thing was probably his livelihood!

Keep playing. Don't forget to revisit earlier areas and look for blue ? mark sidequests.

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Godfrey's side quest, is it necessary to be able to fight these level 84 tirkins to do it? I went to the area in Tantal and just saw the tirkins and wondered if I needed to get past them. It's possible the quest is before the tirkins and just isn't starting due to Pyra not being in my party right now (basically the same reason I think I can't finish Ursula's side quest).

I took the flying leap to the upper area, then carefully dropped my way down. You only have to dodge 1 patrolling Level 84 that way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How far into chapter 7 until I get Blade Nia? I finished six last night and then watched the bit at the inn and now I have to go talk to the Tantal king

Also (same spoiler) what does equipping her do wrt her blades gaining stuff and her gaining exp?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

IcePhoenix posted:

How far into chapter 7 until I get Blade Nia? I finished six last night and then watched the bit at the inn and now I have to go talk to the Tantal king

Also (same spoiler) what does equipping her do wrt her blades gaining stuff and her gaining exp?

For the first question, about the halfway point (maybe 2/3, it depends on how much random battling you do).

For the second, if she's a blade, the blades she has won't level up UNLESS you use a mechanic introduced in Chapter 8 (you'll know it). Or merc missions, I guess.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Momomo posted:

You can find his uncle trying to commit suicide over it later. Its a sidequest to help him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ornamented Death posted:

depends on how much random battling you do.

I'm level 63 because of heavy sidequesting and a bit of farming for gold chips in temperantia so not very much :v:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I really like the story and characters in this game but I hate the battles. I feel like I am experiencing this wrong.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

voltcatfish posted:

I really like the story and characters in this game but I hate the battles. I feel like I am experiencing this wrong.

What is bothering you about it? Combat can indeed be frustrating if you ignore certain mechanics.

The battle system is kinda hard to get into but I believe it's more satisfying than other parts of the game. One way to make things a lot more reliable and less frustrating is play a full on healer rex. You will still outdamage the AI attack partners, heal better than the AI healers and tank better than the AI tanks because you have almost complete control of your HP numbers, while keeping everyone alive for chain attacks.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

voltcatfish posted:

I recently started a new game for something to pass time on the train and holy moly the combat is awful compared to how it is in the late game. Way worse than I remembered.

I honestly don't think I would have kept playing if abusing stutter steps wasn't an option so maybe try that if you're still in the early chapters. And keep it mind that it gets much much better later.

(Stutter stepping is when you nudge the control stick after each auto attack to quickly keep doing the level one auto attack. Fills up driver arts at least 10x faster in the early game.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was going to spend an hour or so last night maxxing out Zenobia's affinity chart.

Instead I spent over half an hour trying to force the Aurora weather so that one of the targets could spawn and I never got anything other than sunny/clear or rain. :sigh:

nerdz posted:

Let me tell you how you do super bosses: The game's logic completely changes here. You absolutely need to do a chain attack with 8 orbs to stand a chance, and you need to set them up in the easiest and fastest way possible. You also really don't want to damage enemies any more than you need to, for 2 reasons: First, all superbosses have enrage attacks at certain HP levels, and second, quite a few of them can instantly activate reflect barriers that will reflect your damage and one shot the entire party if your attack damage is too high. If you set up an 8 orb chain attack it's extremely likely that you'll one shot everything in the game, but going all the way to 8 orbs with a full party gauge is the challenge here, more like a puzzle game.

So you basically want to spec for survivability and party gauge building. Basically ditch all the attackers and control a healer yourself (keep one attacker on each member for the hard hitting chain attacks though). Damage heal aux cores are extremely good since a lot of these bosses do multi hit attacks. A damage heal V plus a blade that also has the same skill makes them almost invincible (the healing plot blade, for example, which is a mainstay for my team as the one that keeps everyone alive and is out most of the time).

Good items here are the sigma and omega drive, which give you party bar for each driver art/critical. Put them on the entire party and you'll have a full bar in less than a minute, and will also build up enough bar to rez anyone since you'll need it.

Pouch items need to be full on special regen since you'll basically be doing only blade combos here. With 3.5 regen you'll be doing blade combos every 10 seconds.

Obviously you need access to all 8 elements.

Common blades with Orb master are absolutely essential. They cut the orb set up time by at least 50%. I have 2 and I can set up 8 orbs in 4 blade combos.

Another trick here is to time your blade combo finishers/level IV specials. You can avoid any party wiping attack in the game if you trigger them at the right time since you can't get damaged during them. For certain bosses, this is absolutely essential. Again, the healing blade's level IV takes ages and guarantees you'll avoid any attack while fully healing your party. Even during blade combo finishers the health regen over time kicks in and turns every blade combo finisher into a full heal.

And that's it, if you set up 8 orbs and do a chain attack it's almost guaranteed to kill anything in the game.

I've almost never used the healing blade, or the last 2 party members.

I have 3 Orb Master blades, one of each type, all on Nia. Only the fire bitball is any good though. The thunder spear one is so-so and the taichi tank one is absolute garbage. :sigh:

I still need to get 8 levels so maybe I'll just try to find the level 100 normal (?) enemies that supposedly drop legendary cores and grind out those to try and get more orb master blades on someone else.

e: The UI needs to list the orbs on a target. That you have to actually look and figure it out manually is horrible.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was going to spend an hour or so last night maxxing out Zenobia's affinity chart.

Instead I spent over half an hour trying to force the Aurora weather so that one of the targets could spawn and I never got anything other than sunny/clear or rain. :sigh:

I've almost never used the healing blade, or the last 2 party members.

I have 3 Orb Master blades, one of each type, all on Nia. Only the fire bitball is any good though. The thunder spear one is so-so and the taichi tank one is absolute garbage. :sigh:

I still need to get 8 levels so maybe I'll just try to find the level 100 normal (?) enemies that supposedly drop legendary cores and grind out those to try and get more orb master blades on someone else.

e: The UI needs to list the orbs on a target. That you have to actually look and figure it out manually is horrible.

Fire is possibly the best element to have orb master, since you can open up with fire, water and ice for 3 easy orbs. I did most of the superbosses with only a fire orb master.

I also have a wind one so you can do 2 more easy elements, either ground or electric.

The other orb master blade I really want to finish the set is a dark one.

With it you could do something like

fire-water-ice
dark-light-electric
wind-wind-earth

with no overlap and be done with all 8 orbs in less than a minute with only 3 blade combos.

Also orb master is so good you can completely disregard whatever the blade has as long as you have orb master on it. You can ignore blades that just a level 1 orb master since it gets too unreliable. The only thing that really matters damage wise in this strategy is the one blade that's going to trigger the full burst. It's the one doing 99% of the damage.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 22, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Do you need Orb Master at level 5 for it to be reliable enough to use?

e: oops lol

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

Do you need Orb Master at level 5 for it to be reliable enough to use?

e: oops lol

I have one at level 4 that's just good enough. Anything lower than that and you'll be frustrated at the 7 orb chain attacks

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's apparently a second endgame viable strategy which is to go full 100% cooldown reduction on rex and solo things, using IV specials to ignore dangerous attacks. I don't know how reliable that is, though, since missing an iframe once will mean a wipe...

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

There's apparently a second endgame viable strategy which is to go full 100% cooldown reduction on rex and solo things, using IV specials to ignore dangerous attacks. I don't know how reliable that is, though, since missing an iframe once will mean a wipe...

Actually you can do both? I mean, if you don't rez your partners it's the same as going solo, I don't see the benefits.

You actually need to do both things to survive certain bosses. You will wipe if you don't do it. Also it seems to be a rather lovely strategy, given that one topple and you're done, not to mention how long it will take solo.

Edit: To add to that, if you have partners you will also be able to trigger blade combo finishers who also dodge wipe attacks and they can rez you. I don't really see what's the benefit of going solo here, unless the point is to say you're soloing things.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 22, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

nerdz posted:

What is bothering you about it? Combat can indeed be frustrating if you ignore certain mechanics.

The only mechanic I still have some trouble with is driver combos and using them successfully without somehow hampering my special combos. I find that focusing on one tends to mess up my ability to focus on the other, and special combos are by far more useful, so I tend to focus on them and just coincidentally get driver combos sometimes. I set up one of my characters so that they can pull off break -> topple -> launch all on their own, and that sometimes works, but other party members starting/continuing combos messes up my rhythm and I often don't have time to switch to the relevant skills myself (if I can remember which skills topple, launch, etc in the heat of the moment).

Fortunately I get the impression that driver combos aren't really necessary in most cases and are more of a side benefit when they happen, since chain attacks are the bulk of my damage and turning blade combos to fusion combos is just a nice bonus sometimes.

edit: Here's an example situation where I might have a problem - Imagine that I'm using Blade A, a party member's launched the enemy, Blade B has a Smash Art, and I haven't used all the Arts on Blade A yet (and won't have enough time to do so without Launch expiring). In that situation I might have to choose between Smashing the enemy and then having some time when I've used up all my Arts and can't yet switch blades again and being able to continue my endless chain of Arts (which in turn will build my specials faster). How that calculus works might also depend upon whether I even need to charge a higher level special yet.

In general the limiting factor is usually the fact that Break/Topple/Launch all last a short enough time that it often forces you to interrupt whatever you're doing if you want to continue the combo, and once you've unlocked cancelling Driver Arts, you'll usually be chaining them almost nonstop and interrupting that represents a trade-off.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 23, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
yeah, driver combos really aren't necessary at all. it's also a pain how everything that matters resists them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That makes breakresist reduction valuable

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

its curtains for Kevin posted:

That makes breakresist reduction valuable

It actually makes it a big waste compared to straight up damage/HP boosts that are useful all the time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A tip I have for drive combos is to always put the combo pieces on the same side of the button. All my topples/Launches/Smashes are on my B drive button (because I will rarely have more than 1 combo piece on a blade).

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

it's important to do drive combos so the announcer shouts stuff like volcano launch amazing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

nerdz posted:

It feels really slow, but I may still be "early" as of Chapter 4 and bein around Level 31

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You're not even halfway into the game, and probably have a few mechanics still locked, including a Rex ability that basically lets you charge to level 3 almost instantly.

Beeline to the skill that lets you cancel drives into drives.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Also don’t feel guilty about skipping combat segments if you’re feeling bored. It’s usually pretty easy to run past everything.

I think they take way too long to introduce chain attacks which are like the entire point of the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm not sure I really get Chain Attacks, and it always seems super risky to use them since you have to use all three bars of your gauge. I'm not sure how to get the orbs to appear on the enemy, and I'm confused on how to break them too. Are you supposed to match the element of the orb, or do the opposite?

I've used Driver Combos as the way to do the most damage, since they synergize the easiest with also getting up to level 4 of your Special Arts, though I have been mostly ignoring their effects and just go for whatever I can manage to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Every time I go to Mor Ardain and listen to the music, I always wonder to myself "man, I wish we got a new, good Wild ARMs game."

There is something about this theme that just screams Wild ARMs to me and I don't know why.