Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
you need to use the blade combos that appear on the top right of the screen.

for a blade combo you need to hit a special with a certain element 3 times.

the first time needs to be at least a level 1 special, second step is at least level 2 and last one has to be a level 3. you know you triggered it because you'll get the cutscene. if you hit with that, an orb will be set. each orb lets you do an extra round in the chain attack and increases the multipliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The game really needs a pause button during combat

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tae posted:

You're not even halfway into the game, and probably have a few mechanics still locked, including a Rex ability that basically lets you charge to level 3 almost instantly.

Beeline to the skill that lets you cancel drives into drives.

I've heard the canceling art is very good, yeah. It's like 3-5k points though and I'm a little bit off yet. I assume after that I want the ones that let me use arts instantly in battle?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tae posted:

The game really needs a pause button during combat

Hit the home button.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Hit the home button.

No, I want a pause button specifically so I can get a calmer look at what my cooldowns are and what combos are currently up and ready.

voltcatfish posted:

I've heard the canceling art is very good, yeah. It's like 3-5k points though and I'm a little bit off yet. I assume after that I want the ones that let me use arts instantly in battle?

No other ability is as important, and I didn't get it until about chapter 5ish. Just beeline through the story, the game is loooong as each chapter gets longer.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

After trying for a couple hours last night, I got a "perfect" run through of Tiger Tiger stage 5 tonight on my very first try. I was rewarded with my third Dark Elemental Core, which is absolutely useless, but it felt nice to get it done.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hi I am very smart and forgot how to (chapter 8 spoilers) activate SSJ Pyra. I know you need gold affinity and a max party gauge, but I don't remember what button to press

Edit: Nevermind, found it

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 23, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Hi I am very smart and forgot how to (chapter 8 spoilers) activate SSJ Pyra. I know you need gold affinity and a max party gauge, but I don't remember what button to press

Edit: Nevermind, found it

That’s a dumb tutorial because during the fight where they teach you how it’s done it’s already activated so you can’t learn for yourself.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So has the update done anything to boost rare blade drop rates? I assume not

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What are those icons that pop up after battle? The sword and the star-looking thing?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

What are those icons that pop up after battle? The sword and the star-looking thing?

Weapon Points and Skill Points, for upgrading attacks and the skill tree.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nerdz posted:

Fire is possibly the best element to have orb master, since you can open up with fire, water and ice for 3 easy orbs. I did most of the superbosses with only a fire orb master.

I also have a wind one so you can do 2 more easy elements, either ground or electric.

The other orb master blade I really want to finish the set is a dark one.

With it you could do something like

fire-water-ice
dark-light-electric
wind-wind-earth

with no overlap and be done with all 8 orbs in less than a minute with only 3 blade combos.

Also orb master is so good you can completely disregard whatever the blade has as long as you have orb master on it. You can ignore blades that just a level 1 orb master since it gets too unreliable. The only thing that really matters damage wise in this strategy is the one blade that's going to trigger the full burst. It's the one doing 99% of the damage.

I still need to max out Orb Master on Nia's blade because the last 2 upgrades involve blocking and dodging which is... fun. :geno:

its curtains for Kevin posted:

That makes breakresist reduction valuable

IIRC, super bosses aren't resistant to breaks they're immune to them completely. If you try to break then you get a "no effect" and not a "resist" message like with most enemies. At least one superboss has to be immune otherwise toppling them would almost certain result in them falling to their death.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 23, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Several (almost all) superbosses are not immune to break, but they’ll reliably resist it without a high-end Beta Scope.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gently caress, Blade affinity sphere progress doesn't go up unless you have that Blade equipped? :gonk:

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Weapon Points and Skill Points, for upgrading attacks and the skill tree.

:hattip:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Four rares left :toot:
https://twitter.com/NSwonch/status/944413578962001920

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quick bit of advice for her sidequest chain, all the tomes are on Goldmouth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man I can not get any Cubic diamonds or whatever for the poppi side quest.

Though I did get a rare blade from my first Legendary.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cubic Diamonds are very rare. A good spot to mine them in Mor Ardain would be in the lower level, near the landmark labelled "Pipe..." If you haven't discovered this landmark yet, I would suggest poking around in the upper level; The Mine Pit and Elevator might lead you in the right direction, and there's a separate section where you might be able to bound downwards towards the titular pipes in the rock. There's only one mining point afterwards so having Brighid is great since her Mineralogy helps farm it fast.

CGH
Mar 31, 2010
I've unlocked the quest for merc level 4 and I was just wondering if the choice you make affects anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the gently caress is this final battle? What the gently caress is killing me? I thought Tora had a skill to prevent it? God dammit I hate everything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm having a lot of trouble traversing these maps. I'm on the main quest in Tantal and it told me they have three hours to do... something, but I have absolutely no idea how to get to the lower levels of the map. This sort of thing has been happening a lot, and the waypoints really do not help at all.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Go to Upper Level > Ruined Laborers’ Bridge in Skip Travel. Once there, head up to the nearby stairs and that top of them, there’s a collection point that is a guaranteed drop (for me it was at least). Repeat by skip traveling back to the Ruined Laborers’ Bridge until you have what you need.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 23, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Go to Upper Level > Ruined Laborers’ Bridge in Skip Travel. Once there, head up to the nearby stairs and that top of them, there’s a collection point that is a guaranteed drop (for me it was at least). Repeat by skip traveling back to the Ruined Laborers’ Bridge until you have what you need.

Yeah I did that and the drop happened every time, thanks

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Mythras goofy voice acting is wonderful

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Finished the game.

Ending was kinda trite, and I really don't get the whole thing with Titans becoming part of earth. Why?

I loving bust a gut laughing when I saw that Pyra and Mythra got split up when they revived at the end. Holy poo poo, really, game?

Can't say the ending was particularly satisfying, aside from the fact that it ended at all.

It doesn't look like it had any connection to 1 or X, which is fine, I guess - I still don't understand why Malos had the Monado out of nowhere, though. What the gently caress was that?

All in all, I'm kinda glad I'm done playing this game. I'm of half a mind to Youtube the stuff I missed, and half a mind to just forget it and do something else.

Pollyanna posted:

Also, conjecture. There is only one reason why they're hiding Addam's face: he looks like either Rex, or Shulk.

Following up on this: They never show his face. :geno:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 23, 2017

LunarEmerald
Oct 8, 2014

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Post Game spoilers

I guess this is just more of her bad luck.

You tell me

That's great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Master Blades don't lose their memory when they return to a Core Crystal. It's explicitly stated that all the Blades are uploading to them each time they return to their Core Crystal, so they just retain all their memories/data.

Wow, this makes the ending even stupider if everyone knew all along that Pyra and Mythra were going to retain their memories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

Finished the game.

It doesn't look like it had any connection to 1 or X, which is fine, I guess - I still don't understand why Malos had the Monado out of nowhere, though. What the gently caress was that?

You missed a lot.

Klaus' missing interdimensional half was explicitly Zansa. Rex and company had to rush to get things done because Zansa was about to get his poo poo kicked in by Shulk and co, taking the Architect with him when he died.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ntan1 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, we're let to believe that the XB1 and XB2 worlds merge at the end of the game.

What? What the gently caress? Did I miss a scene at the end or something?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You missed a lot.

Klaus' missing interdimensional half was explicitly Zansa. Rex and company had to rush to get things done because Zansa was about to get his poo poo kicked in by Shulk and co, taking the Architect with him when he died.

Ohhhhh. In my defense, I got up to Zansa in 1 and just kinda stopped caring, so I never saw the ending.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Momomo posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble traversing these maps. I'm on the main quest in Tantal and it told me they have three hours to do... something, but I have absolutely no idea how to get to the lower levels of the map. This sort of thing has been happening a lot, and the waypoints really do not help at all.

From the Theosoir Main Gate, go straight forward to the Blacksmith and follow along the wall until you can go down. You should be in the southeast of Theosoir on the main map. Follow the awkward path down until you get outside the city. Follow the road/platform south, then head east when you get the chance. You're eventually gonna hit the Twin Pillars, which looks like a dead end, but you need to break the ice up top by walking on it, then knock the big ice pillar down to make a new bridge to get across. Then there's a lot of ruins in a dungeon-like area that you have to navigate and I have no helpful advice for that but the important thing is that you need to be heading downward. Honestly this was the part where I said screw it and burnt through my inn experience to bump my level up to like 50 so I wouldn't have to worry about constant fighting.

(Don't worry, you aren't time restricted)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in the cutscene right before the final boss was the throwaway line about a third missing core crystal that hosed off to another dimension supposed to be Alvis?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

in the cutscene right before the final boss was the throwaway line about a third missing core crystal that hosed off to another dimension supposed to be Alvis?

Yes.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Reiterpallasch posted:

Apparently, yes. It's kind of understated, really, and I didn't pick up on it. :downs:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Xenoblade ending stuff: It's also setup where The Architect is the 'good' and remorseful half of Klaus while Zanza is the 'evil' and power-hungry half of him. The weird thing though is that Pyra's power will apparently come to an end due to The Conduit leaving? There's nothing in XC1 that suggests Shulk's Monado's power diminishes in any way after the story ends.

ntan1 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, we're let to believe that the XB1 and XB2 worlds merge at the end of the game.

I legit thought that was what happened at first. Gramps flying through some 'rift' that suddenly takes them from Morytha to an endless ocean with a pair of islands on it? They absolutely intended to mreference XC1's new world even if it's not a merger of those two realities.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Fluffy posted:

Xenoblade ending stuff: It's also setup where The Architect is the 'good' and remorseful half of Klaus while Zanza is the 'evil' and power-hungry half of him. The weird thing though is that Pyra's power will apparently come to an end due to The Conduit leaving? There's nothing in XC1 that suggests Shulk's Monado's power diminishes in any way after the story ends.

They actually had The Conduit, unlike Shulk's world, and Pyra didn't lose all her powers. Just the Blue-Hair Super-Mode Creation powers.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

Basically ditch all the attackers and control a healer yourself

ch 8 Do you use Nia yourself? I had the extremely good/bad luck of having all my good healers end up on Nia, which means I'd have to pull like a nutcase for the remaining healers on Zeke if I wanted to run Rex+Nia/a second healer/tank, or burn Overdrives. I have 3 of those left to use, at least. Also Vess' crystal left, at least.

If I left Nia as a Driver I could scrape together two healers for Rex easily, but I'd be giving up on apparently the strongest healing blade in the game.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 23, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Reiterpallasch posted:

ch 8 Do you use Nia yourself? I had the extremely good/bad luck of having all my good healers end up on Nia, which means I'd have to pull like a nutcase for the remaining healers on Zeke if I wanted to run Rex+Nia/a second healer/tank, or burn Overdrives. I have 3 of those left to use, at least. Also Vess' crystal left, at least.

If I left Nia as a Driver I could scrape together two healers for Rex easily, but I'd be giving up on apparently the strongest healing blade in the game.

If you have her on rex, you won't really need anyone else healing once you max out her stuff, she's really strong both in healing and in damage dealing. Hell, her passive healing is already better than healing partners by itself, it's crazy. Her cooldowns are also really low so you can use only her for healing, though I have a secondary healing blade. You can make your partners full on tanks or hybrid tank attackers and it will work out fine. Just make sure you have a good spread of elements to get as many orbs as possible.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Questions related to Chapter 7 stuff:

1. Once I get Pyra back, can Rex ever unequip her? I've already had spoiled the fact that Rex can later use anyone's blades, by the way (though not the surrounding context/story reason). Turning Nia into a blade seems immensely impractical seeing as how she's the only possible dedicated healer driver (and it seems like a really bad idea to give a healer any non-healing blades, since they might be using the wrong thing when a heal is needed). I wouldn't mind making Rex into a healer if Pyra/Mythra could be unequipped, with Zeke serving as DPS (I've already been using Zeke/Nia/Morag), but I have a hunch I'll be stuck with Pyra again once I get her back.

2.Story related, but what exactly happened in Nia's past? Did her dad somehow do, uh, something to her that turned her into a blade somehow in an effort to save her sister? Was the "sister/father" thing just a metaphor for her originally being her sister's blade? I'm not sure how a non-blade Nia being turned into a blade would be related to try to save her sister's life.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Dec 23, 2017

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Hey which rare blade has the most obnoxious quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

Hey which rare blade has the most obnoxious quests

Ursula, without question. You have to do over 100 mercenary missions.