Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ytlaya posted:

Questions related to Chapter 7 stuff:

1. Once I get Pyra back, can Rex ever unequip her? I've already had spoiled the fact that Rex can later use anyone's blades, by the way (though not the surrounding context/story reason). Turning Nia into a blade seems immensely impractical seeing as how she's the only possible dedicated healer blade (and it seems like a really bad idea to give a healer any non-healing blades, since they might be using the wrong thing when a heal is needed). I wouldn't mind making Rex into a healer if Pyra/Mythra could be unequipped, with Zeke serving as DPS (I've already been using Zeke/Nia/Morag), but I have a hunch I'll be stuck with Pyra again once I get her back.

2.Story related, but what exactly happened in Nia's past? Did her dad somehow do, uh, something to her that turned her into a blade somehow in an effort to save her sister? Was the "sister/father" thing just a metaphor for her originally being her sister's blade? I'm not sure how a non-blade Nia being turned into a blade would be related to try to save her sister's life.

1. No, but Pyra/Mythra get a bullshit powerup that makes them the best blade in the game by a huge margin. Also you can unequip Dromarch/Brighid/Pandoria by equipping them to Rex then assigning a new blade on the other's screen if you want Nia/Zeke/Morag to do any role. If you control Rex, Nia is also a bullshit good healing blade and has a unique mechanic where she does combo level 4 specials with Pyra if they're both at gold affinity for a bunch of extra damage.

2. Nia was always a Blade. Her 'father' got her to turn into a Flesh Eater as a hosed up way to keep his daughter who was her driver. Flesh Eaters can live on their own without a driver but age and can become drivers themselves. They just need to eat their drivers heart to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Zore posted:

1. No, but Pyra/Mythra get a bullshit powerup that makes them the best blade in the game by a huge margin. Also you can unequip Dromarch/Brighid/Pandoria by equipping them to Rex then assigning a new blade on the other's screen if you want Nia/Zeke/Morag to do any role. If you control Rex, Nia is also a bullshit good healing blade and has a unique mechanic where she does combo level 4 specials with Pyra if they're both at gold affinity for a bunch of extra damage.

2. Nia was always a Blade. Her 'father' got her to turn into a Flesh Eater as a hosed up way to keep his daughter who was her driver. Flesh Eaters can live on their own without a driver but age and can become drivers themselves. They just need to eat their drivers heart to do it.

Ah, Rex being able to equip the other "set" blades basically fixes the problem, since I guess that would allow any non-Rex character to fill any role. Also that's a pretty hosed up history on Nia's part.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
You know I'm not even sure what chapter I'm on because it says "Chapter 5" when I think I've finished it, but then it says Chapter 6. So I think I'm on 6?
The new map is a bit better than it was but I still spent AGES trying to get to a bit with Volffs in Gormott. God drat.

Can anyone tell me if I ever get forced to use character 5? I've not bothered putting any other blades on them or using them at all and because the game is anime as gently caress I sort of expect to be forced to use him at some point.

I really wish we knew the way orbs work. So far I've used about 15 rare orbs and with almost all of them I use 5 boosters as well. And yet I've not even got one rare blade from a rare orb. All of mine - and I only have Electra, Gorg, Agate, Dahlia, Perun and that guy with his name starting with D - I've got from Commons.
Last night I blasted through 4 or them all with full boosters and still just got commons. It's frustrating!

Quest wise has anyone done Agate or Electra's quests? They all feel like they're level 2. With Agate I found about four level 1 prospect slots and only got ONE mineral, all the rest were insects. To spend like an hour finding these places to find out they're prospecting 2 is so loving annoying!
With Electra I've only managed to do one of her Thunder things because they all require Lord of Thunder 2 or more. Where's a second one that only needs level 1 other than the village in Uraya?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

You know I'm not even sure what chapter I'm on because it says "Chapter 5" when I think I've finished it, but then it says Chapter 6. So I think I'm on 6?
The new map is a bit better than it was but I still spent AGES trying to get to a bit with Volffs in Gormott. God drat.

It book-ends the Chapters. The full-screen splash is the end of the chapter.

Taear posted:

Can anyone tell me if I ever get forced to use character 5? I've not bothered putting any other blades on them or using them at all and because the game is anime as gently caress I sort of expect to be forced to use him at some point.

Zeke (he's right on the splash image in the eShop) is never a mandatory part of the active party. Once you've assembled the full cast, you're free to pick-and-mix whomever you want. That said you want to roll some Core Crystals on him just for Field Master skills.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hahaha, (beginning of chapter 8 spoilers) I like how apparently this modern looking city with skyscrapers and poo poo under the cloud sea is apparently no surprise at all and is just where salvagers have always been diving.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Five (he's right on the splash image in the eShop) is never a mandatory part of the active party. Once you've assembled the full cast, you're free to pick-and-mix whomever you want. That said you want to roll some Core Crystals on him just for Field Master skills.

Ah poo poo I didn't even think of doing that. Time to roll some up I guess.
And he might be on that image but I know I never paid attention to it and it's DEFINITELY a spoiler.

I'm getting really tired of quests that have a skill check instantly followed by another that I can't QUITE do and then find out I can't really do it at all yet. Like I have a Botany one but only Dromach has the skill so I just can't do it yet. It's frustrating and I forget what I need since it's hours and hours before I can go back to it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Ah poo poo I didn't even think of doing that. Time to roll some up I guess.
And he might be on that image but I know I never paid attention to it and it's DEFINITELY a spoiler.

That's all on you. It's literally the first image on the eShop page, and sometimes in the News updates.

The game is not at all subtle about who your party members are, considering they're the only non-Torna characters with unique Blades.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's all on you. It's literally the first image on the eShop page, and sometimes in the News updates.

The game is not at all subtle about who your party members are, considering they're the only non-Torna characters with unique Blades.

The Emperor has one! I just don't agree, I was disappointed when I learned who they were in here because it sets expectations for the story later on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

The Emperor has one! I just don't agree, I was disappointed when I learned who they were in here because it sets expectations for the story later on.

Here is the list of people with unique Blades that aren't members of Torna;

Vandham, Morag, Zeke and Niall.

It is not a long list for a 70-odd-hour game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You only know that because you've finished the game. I haven't and I didn't so anyone could have turned up and joined the party just like Vandham did.
As far as I'm concerned 4 and 5 were just villains like Torna or Niall are/were..

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting a few Bana, Tora's Dad, Amalthus, Vess' original driver, and a few other sidequest to get blades.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

You're forgetting a few Bana, Tora's Dad, Amalthus, Vess' original driver, and a few other sidequest to get blades.

I'm really not. Rosa sure as hell doesn't count, and Lila's out because you have Poppi getting her second form about the same time Lila shows up. The others are sidequests and it's pretty obvious from the get-go that you're walking away with their Core Crystals.

Taear posted:

As far as I'm concerned 4 and 5 were just villains like Torna or Niall are/were..

And yet you reveal the actual spoiler regarding party members. Morag's only concern was "oh poo poo, the Aegis is back, her driver might kick off another Aegis War", and that's only because of a misunderstanding that gets resolved the second time she encounters Rex and Co. Niall's nowhere even close to a villain at any point in the story. Zeke's gimmick is pretty drat beyond being any kind of serious threat, and it's not hard to make a leap to him joining up for some reason or other.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 23, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really not. Rosa sure as hell doesn't count, and Lila's out because you have Poppi getting her second form about the same time Lila shows up. The others are sidequests and it's pretty obvious from the get-go that you're walking away with their Core Crystals.

Amalthus is not a sidequest. At all. :psyduck:

Also optional party members aren't exactly some weird thing no RPG has ever had. They're pretty common!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And yet you reveal the actual spoiler regarding party members. Morag's only concern was "oh poo poo, the Aegis is back, her driver might kick off another Aegis War", and that's only because of a misunderstanding that gets resolved the second time she encounters Rex and Co. Niall's nowhere even close to a villain at any point in the story. Zeke's gimmick is pretty drat beyond being any kind of serious threat, and it's not hard to make a leap to him joining up for some reason or other.

More party related spoilers.
No, I said he turned up and joined the party. That's not a spoiler at all. Because he does! I didn't say he died. You only know that because you've played further on.
Zeke comes across like Team Rocket so I assumed he'd be your stupid followon villain the whole game through.
And yea - with Vess and things they might join. You don't know until you've done a few and you're assuming. I didn't like to learn Zeke and Morag join because it colours your perception of them. When you first see Niall you don't know if he's a villain or not, especially since he's an Emperor and it's Japanese.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zore posted:

Amalthus is not a sidequest. At all. :psyduck:

Also optional party members aren't exactly some weird thing no RPG has ever had. They're pretty common!

Amalthus is the Holy Pope of a religion in a JRPG, and Fan La Norne never enters combat in any capacity.

Name a big-budget JRPG from the last ten years that had an optional party member. Aside from XCX, which was a plotless trainwreck with its main story.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Amalthus is the Holy Pope of a religion in a JRPG, and Fan La Norne never enters combat in any capacity.

Name a big-budget JRPG from the last ten years that had an optional party member. Aside from XCX, which was a plotless trainwreck with its main story.

But XCX is the game this is sort of a sequel to. I mean...come on. It's a pretty reasonable guess!

Anyway in other news I'd love to know how the crystals work. Like if it's a roulette and certain boosters make you more likely to land on ones with particular elements. Or if the chance of a rare with a normal crystal is 10% and with a rare one it's 12% or something.
Anything. And how luck works with it! Is it worth pumping luck? Because the answer seems to be no!

I'm going to say that since it gets harder and harder to get rares when there's few of them left it does support the idea that it's some form of roulette. And that might be why they flash up behind your character as it scrolls through the different ones until it lands on something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

But XCX is the game this is sort of a sequel to. I mean...come on. It's a pretty reasonable guess!

XCX is completely unrelated to XC1/2.

XC2 is very much "we're sorry about XCX, look have a proper sequel to the original like you all wanted."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

[quote="“THE AWESOME GHOST”" post="“479604237”"]
I’m really stuck on this lila fight. Am I really supposed to be fighting her with only 2 people in my party?
[/quote]

I’m level 30 using Rex and nia am I doing something wrong

I die extremely quickly without a tank

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 23, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Last Remnant :colbert:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

XCX is completely unrelated to XC1/2.

XC2 is very much "we're sorry about XCX, look have a proper sequel to the original like you all wanted."

Six hours in and I'd have rathered more XCX actually.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Yeah, I liked XcX more overall than 2.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

You're both mad. Although this game has more of the lovely anime stuff at least this one's main story feels connected to the world instead of something incidental to it.
It still feels like they've mixed XCX and XC together in this though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

You're both mad. Although this game has more of the lovely anime stuff at least this one's main story feels connected to the world instead of something incidental to it.
It still feels like they've mixed XCX and XC together in this though.

While I think XC2 is far and away the better game, the sidequesting is lacking by comparison because the good in-depth sidequests are gated behind a heinously low-percentage gatchapon roll and heavy grinding to access.

For each Rare Blade.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I think XC2 is far and away the better game, the sidequesting is lacking by comparison because the good in-depth sidequests are gated behind a heinously low-percentage gatchapon roll and heavy grinding to access.

For each Rare Blade.

My least favourite part of the sidequests in this are that they're multi stage. I'd rather do 4 sidequests and get a small reward for each section because then if I've wasted time on it just to get cut off near the end at least I've had SOMETHING from it instead of wasting my effort.
I loving hate spending ages finding stuff only to get to that last step and it say "Botany 4" and I've only got 3 with no way to increase it.

The sidequests were decent in XCX, for sure. Probably the only good part!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

The sidequests were decent in XCX, for sure. Probably the only good part!

The sidequesting in XCX was excellent, and the only reason people call the game good. The stories are entertaining in a fair few of them, and you encounter about five or six different alien species that come join New LA that aren't in the main story at all (not including Anime OC's, Do Not Steal Celica and Rock).

To its credit, XC2 at least has incidental dialogue from townsfolk acknowledging some things you do in sidequests like drastically improving quality of life in Fonsett Island by establishing a direct-trade route with Argentum.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The sidequesting in XCX was excellent, and the only reason people call the game good. The stories are entertaining in a fair few of them, and you encounter about five or six different alien species that come join New LA that aren't in the main story at all (not including Anime OC's, Do Not Steal Celica and Rock).

To its credit, XC2 at least has incidental dialogue from townsfolk acknowledging some things you do in sidequests like drastically improving quality of life in Fonsett Island by establishing a direct-trade route with Argentum.

I really enjoy the reactivity in XCX and it makes me think of recruiting the stars in Suikoden and improving your castle. It's the same sort of feel.
I don't feel like the development level in this really changes stuff. I'd have expected more people or something in the towns but Gormott is at 5 and it's still exactly as it was before.

Can anyone help me with Electra's quest? Or Agate's quest? For both of them I just need to know where I can go when I'm only at level 1 Master of Thunder/Prospecting .

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm just saying, if XB2 had pizza deployment, moon jumps and mindjacking it'd be a lot better.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Poppi transforms into a maid via mazinger theme

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

Can anyone help me with Electra's quest? Or Agate's quest? For both of them I just need to know where I can go when I'm only at level 1 Master of Thunder/Prospecting .

Agate's quest is pretty simple; Every Titan has a few prospecting spots, go find the Level 1 ones. There are four Level 1 spots that yield ore, and it's the only tier the game will dick with you with a few fake ones (thankfully). Once you get four pieces of ore, take them back to Goldmouth for inspection. Repeat with your Prospecting skill now at Level 2, repeat.

Electra's is somewhat the same; There's people in each Titan that have need of an Electric-type Blade, you'll see "!"'s on the map for them if she's an active Blade in your party.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agate's quest is pretty simple; Every Titan has a few prospecting spots, go find the Level 1 ones. There are four Level 1 spots that yield ore, and it's the only tier the game will dick with you with a few fake ones (thankfully). Once you get four pieces of ore, take them back to Goldmouth for inspection. Repeat with your Prospecting skill now at Level 2, repeat.

Electra's is somewhat the same; There's people in each Titan that have need of an Electric-type Blade, you'll see "!"'s on the map for them if she's an active Blade in your party.

I know how it works but I've exhausted all the ones on Uraya, Gormott, Leftarian Archepelago and Ardain for both of them and there aren't any left that are just 1 skill required. All I've got is one quest done for Electra in Uraya and then a single Mysterious Ore for Agate. Every other level 1 for Agate was "A BUG".
I feel like I'm missing something, are most of the basic ones in later areas?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I know how it works but I've exhausted all the ones on Uraya, Gormott, Leftarian Archepelago and Ardain for both of them and there aren't any left that are just 1 skill required. All I've got is one quest done for Electra in Uraya and then a single Mysterious Ore for Agate. Every other level 1 for Agate was "A BUG".
I feel like I'm missing something, are most of the basic ones in later areas?

You've missed visiting Temperantia for ore prospecting.

You should've found one or two for Electra though, though I can't remember the level-1 ones off the top of my head.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You've missed visiting Temperantia for ore prospecting.

You should've found one or two for Electra though, though I can't remember the level-1 ones off the top of my head.

I've only done the story quest there so far, I haven't had chance to revisit.
It feels stupid that the level 1 ones aren't in the low level areas. I guess it doesn't matter, but visiting so many locations to just find it's a level 2 when the map is so rough is so loving annoying.

Electra I've met a woman near the water in Torigoth, a blade in the Urayan Village, someone in Mor Ardain at the top level, someone in Fonsett and a box in Argentum that requires level 10 or something. Those are the only ones I've seen! Only the Urayan blade was a level 1 thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

I've only done the story quest there so far, I haven't had chance to revisit.
It feels stupid that the level 1 ones aren't in the low level areas. I guess it doesn't matter, but visiting so many locations to just find it's a level 2 when the map is so rough is so loving annoying.

Electra I've met a woman near the water in Torigoth, a blade in the Urayan Village, someone in Mor Ardain at the top level, someone in Fonsett and a box in Argentum that requires level 10 or something. Those are the only ones I've seen! Only the Urayan blade was a level 1 thing.

You need some pretty high Electricity Mastery as well as Electra's personal stat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

finally got Morag she's invincible and cool. I'm satisfied.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You need some pretty high Electricity Mastery as well as Electra's personal stat.

I know. But what I'm saying is that every single other task I can find requires 2 master of thunder.
But the only way to get it to 2 is finish another task and I can't find where that second level 1 task is. All of them require level 2, 3, 4. And nobody else has Master of Thunder so I can't pad it out that way! I assumed someone would remember maybe where that second one was because there must just be the one.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I'm on chapter 3 and I still don't have any real good idea how the battle flow works. I've simply been hitting arts on what I think is the last auto-attack to fill my special gauge and then randomly activate it, mostly trying to wait until level 2 or 3 but gently caress are the battles drawn out and boring. I have no idea how to activate break then topple, I need idiot proof color guides like the past games. The deeper mechanics of this game are not user friendly.

Is there a specific sequence that's best when your allies' special attacks pop up via Rz or Lz during battle? It seems like you can set up chains but I'm not really garnering how. I see the elemental sequence in the upper right hand corner but I'm lost on what to do with it but it is cool when I unknowingly activate a launch but I'd like to now how to do it on purpose.

Is there an easy to follow video online somewhere that goes over the nuances of battle? I was able to figure all this poo poo out over time in XC1 and XCX but in XC2 it feels like I'm glossing over a lot of important mechanics. I miss being able to customize arts on each character and the Blade system, while initially neat, seems way too thinned out for the amount of Blades you get and how you can only ever have two (three?) in your active rotation.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Is there a specific sequence that's best when your allies' special attacks pop up via Rz or Lz during battle? It seems like you can set up chains but I'm not really garnering how. I see the elemental sequence in the upper right hand corner but I'm lost on what to do with it but it is cool when I unknowingly activate a launch but I'd like to now how to do it on purpose.

Break and Topple work exactly as they did in the other games Louisgod - one party member uses the Break and then you can topple them once they're broken. You can tell they're broken from a bar above their health bar at the top of the screen.

With the special attacks - at the top right you'll see a chart. It'll have a highlighted element then other elements leading off it. So you start with Fire, you'll see that level two will be Fire or Water -Fire or Water at level 2 or above needs to be used next.
Finally it'll carry on down that path to show another two elements and one of those at level 3 or above needs to be used to end the sequence.

Someone posted the list of different ones. As you can see if you use Fire then it has to be followed by a water or another Fire. When you see your allies ones pop up they're showing that they have that element and can do it (or are charging up to do it). You'll notice that there's a white ball flying around the name of the ability for your allies, that's how high it's charged.

As someone who has played both other games I found it quite easy even though I barely paid attention to the tutorials.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 23, 2017

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Louisgod posted:

Is there a specific sequence that's best when your allies' special attacks pop up via Rz or Lz during battle? It seems like you can set up chains but I'm not really garnering how.

Taikuri posted:

For some reason, I can't find good image for this, so quickly made shoddy one for myself for planning my elemental orb combo: (weaknesses next to each other)

Use Chain Attack (+ button) when party gauge (top left corner of the screen) is full, and use blades with opposing element of the orbs shown below enemy healthbar for extra round of cutscenes

Let me know if someone actually finds good flowchart for this

Also, does using preferred pouch items actually do anything else than give you affection points? No exp boost or anything in battle?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taikuri posted:

Use Chain Attack (+ button) when party gauge (top left corner of the screen) is full, and use blades with opposing element of the orbs shown below enemy healthbar for extra round of cutscenes

Not quite. XC2's combat is all about setup and execution.

What you're aiming to do is set off a nice fat Chain Attack that loops around and just geometrically increases your damage bonus until you nuke the poor bastard on the receiving end. How you achieve this is with Elemental Orbs. Every time you complete a three-stage combo, you'll find an orb floating around the enemy with the respective colour of the final element. Repeat and set up as many Orbs of different elements as you can get away with (five is about enough), then trigger a Chain Attack. Break the Orbs by using Blades with the opposing element (if possible, or just try to brute-force them with random ones otherwise), and so long as you can break at least one Orb per cycle of the part you're golden.

The overdrive gauge in the top-left will fill during the Chain Attack, max it out and whoever got the last Orb down to push it into overdrive will do a fancy big-damage attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trinexx
Aug 31, 2007

Ask me about time-shares at scenic Turtle Rock!
I used this this chart sorted by both starting and finishing combos I found somewhere online.