Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd be surprised if Rollo exited the show without being killed or dying of old age.

That motherfucker is gonna die of old age and I kinda love it. I don't know how this show managed to get me to like him after how much I disliked him. I think it's just the fact that he actually got away with all the poo poo he pulled over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Dalael posted:

I'm curious to know what you do not like about him? Is it the character? The actor? How he's developing?
I find Ivar to be one of the coolest character, not very far behind Ragnar. The actor plays him very well and the way he sometimes looks would scare the gently caress out of me were I facing him

I think Ubbe and Bjorn are going about their father's wishes far more so by attempting to settle and expand relations in a relatively non-aggressive way. I also may find them the more attractive of the siblings but whatev Ivar on the other hand seems more like "screw over everyone for power including my brothers and against the wishes of my father". Plus going after Lagertha now? Nope, not having it.

I also don't mind at all the main Saxon characters, so there's probs that too.

As for Knightfall, I think I might actually hate Parsifal. Like, he's either not a great actor or really good at playing the role of cringy angsty late teen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dalael posted:

I'm curious to know what you do not like about him?

He is basically Joffrey.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:lol: cute cliffhanger.

Ivar bringing home his own little Athelsten is super interesting, think this one is just a tiny bit more devoted tho. Excited to see what becomes of him.
Lagertha continuing to make weird decisions and acting bitchy, would be surprised if she survives this season.

Show is really strong right now! I didn't think last season that there would be a time where i didn't miss Ragnar, but here we are.

Constant posted:

we'll probably never see Rollo again will we

I really want to see him again, after Ragnar he was my favorite, but his story feels pretty finished.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is that the hardest cut we've had for a cliffhanger? I feel like it is.

Liked pretty much everything in this episode, really interested in seeing Floki setting up his Iceland settlement.

I have a bad feeling that Sinric isn't going to make it out of their current predicament in North Africa but hopefully I'm wrong.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

life is killing me posted:

Unfortunately for this thread, I can only conclude that most Vikings goons disagree—as about 60% of the goons who posted in the previous threads have apparently left Vikings for greener (shittier) pastures such as anything that isn’t Vikings.

And also can’t stick with a show to save their lives because they made Ragnar their god and when he went, they went with him into the pit of snakes that is TVIV

And nothing of value was lost.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Constant posted:

we'll probably never see Rollo again will we

I don't know if we'll see him again in Vikings, but they could easily make a spinoff with his character. If I recall correctly, Rollo's real fame was gained in Normandy.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Dvsilverwing posted:

I think Ubbe and Bjorn are going about their father's wishes far more so by attempting to settle and expand relations in a relatively non-aggressive way. I also may find them the more attractive of the siblings but whatev Ivar on the other hand seems more like "screw over everyone for power including my brothers and against the wishes of my father". Plus going after Lagertha now? Nope, not having it.

I also don't mind at all the main Saxon characters, so there's probs that too.

As for Knightfall, I think I might actually hate Parsifal. Like, he's either not a great actor or really good at playing the role of cringy angsty late teen.

The thing is, that was their father's dream. It doesn't need to be their dreams and that's what I kinda like about Ivar. Why be granted land to become peasants, when you can take over the land and rule over them? Regarding Lagertha, I'm kinda with you. I don't want a war between her and Ivar but the truth of the matter is, she straight up murdered his mother and Ivar was pretty close to her. I can understand him wanting revenge, even if I hope it won't happen.

I can't wait to see how the warrior priest' journey turns out. I can't help but draw parallels to Ragnar and Aethelstan' story but I very much doubt that we'll ses THAT priest babysit anyone's children anytime soon.

Alhazred posted:

He is basically Joffrey.

Absolutely not. Not even one bit. The only thing they have in common was their love of violence but that's about it. Ivar does what he does for a reason. Joffree did it because he was a little spoiled brat who thought it was his divine right to be king. Ivar also fights his war himself while Joffrey hid behind Tywin.

They are nothing alike.

Viridiant posted:

Is that the hardest cut we've had for a cliffhanger? I feel like it is.

Liked pretty much everything in this episode, really interested in seeing Floki setting up his Iceland settlement.

I have a bad feeling that Sinric isn't going to make it out of their current predicament in North Africa but hopefully I'm wrong.

That was the most annoying cliffhanger ever. As for Sinric, I really hope he does survive. I really like that character even tho he's a minor one. He may not look like a God, but he looks like a survivor.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 21, 2017

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So who are the people in Floki's little band of adventurers? They kept showing those two dudes, who are they? I've watched every episode and I don't recall them at all. I think one of the younger kids was Guthram, right?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think they're all new characters except for Guthram and Ubbe's wife.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't like Ivar.

Kinda just uninterested in anyone that isn't Bjorn, Lagertha, or Floki. I don't know how the show could possibly ever return to the greatness that was Ragnar and King Ecbert.

But Ivar is an rear end in a top hat. He's a dick and has been evil since he was a child murdering other children.

Also he should be a lot better at walking with his hands by now. He still drags himself around like it's his first day.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I can't remember how we picked up Sinrik this time around. Last thing i remember from him was leaving Rollo out to hang in french court intrigue and then he appears on Bjørns boat. Is there a scene i'm forgetting, or was it just like "oh he's back again, heard about Bjørn etc".

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

But Ivar is an rear end in a top hat. He's a dick and has been evil since he was a child murdering other children.

This was probably based on Egil Skallagrimmson, an icelandic poet who according to the sagas did the same thing when he was seven.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dongattack posted:

I can't remember how we picked up Sinrik this time around. Last thing i remember from him was leaving Rollo out to hang in french court intrigue and then he appears on Bjørns boat. Is there a scene i'm forgetting, or was it just like "oh he's back again, heard about Bjørn etc".

Probably a god in disguise.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Probably a god in disguise.

Bit timid to be Loki :q:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Also he should be a lot better at walking with his hands by now. He still drags himself around like it's his first day.

Except for the many times we've seen him walking with a crutch?

I mean, they were in the dungeon last episode, his rear end ain't going down stairs with a crutch, so him dragging himself down and back up the stairs makes sense to me :shrug:

I'm not trying to make you like him, as you feel how you feel, but now you're just being silly!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

Bit timid to be Loki :q:

Now that would be amusing but I like also just like Sinric being that guy that comes and goes at his own leisure. The very definition of wanderer. I still 100% think Habard was Loki. Ivar may or may not be of Ragnar’s seed but he is Loki’s son. The rest of the boys want what most men seek, Ivar wants a throne of fire and blood. Dude is metal as gently caress.

Long time watcher that stuck around after Ragnar. Plenty of good characters to follow. Slightly sad that Sigurd Snake in the Eye doesn’t get to terrorise the Irish onscreen. I still have a deep love for Harald Fairhair and his brother Halfdan the Black. Part because Finnish actors don’t often get International parts but mostly because their chemistry is amazing; especially, when together this two guys just consume every scene they are in.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

life is killing me posted:

Except for the many times we've seen him walking with a crutch?

I mean, they were in the dungeon last episode, his rear end ain't going down stairs with a crutch, so him dragging himself down and back up the stairs makes sense to me :shrug:

I'm not trying to make you like him, as you feel how you feel, but now you're just being silly!

I admit that is a silly reason, I just think he's a jerk.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Re: Heahmund chat, I really like to think that, though he may possibly be based on a historical character, he was also inspired by Cornwell's The Last Kingdom. I know I'm always the one to bring up TLK and then people start comparing it to Vikings and blabbity blah. But anyway, anyone who read the books might remember Father Pyrlig, a Welsh priest who had been a formidable fighter in his pagan days. I'm always reminded of Father Pyrlig from TLK when I see Heahmund.

I guess I'm reminded of TLK book Ivar when I see Ivar in Vikings too, just in the general way both characters act and their dispositions. I love Ivar, but FogHelmut isn't wrong about him being a huge jerk. To me that shows the actor is great at his job, because even for me it's sometimes hard to root for him because he's King rear end in a top hat to everyone.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FogHelmut posted:

I don't like Ivar.

Kinda just uninterested in anyone that isn't Bjorn, Lagertha, or Floki. I don't know how the show could possibly ever return to the greatness that was Ragnar and King Ecbert.

Ivar may be an rear end in a top hat, but that kid was the real dick and clearly would have grown up to be an rear end in a top hat willing to take a cripple's toys. In the viking world, he deserved what he got.

As for being better at crawling, sure Ivar might have a lot of practice, but the actor doesn't. Thst's a very dumb complaint imo. And come to think about it, i doubt you've seen many handicapped people crawling on the floor so, how would you know?

Unless you are the modern version of that kid and stole some guy's wheelchair?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

FogHelmut posted:

I mean they are Vikings, isn't that their equivelent to being in an advanced reading class in primary school?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dvsilverwing posted:

Wait, am I the only one that really doesn't like Ivar?

You aren't. He is a less believable/likable and far more silly reincarnation of Ragnar. Nothing about him really sells me as a leader Vikings of all people would rally behind. In general the show feels like it is spinning wheels and the Bjorn plot is the only interesting one that is left to me. I like Lagertha still, but they are clearly setting her up for her fall so ehhh.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

unlawfulsoup posted:

You aren't. He is a less believable/likable and far more silly reincarnation of Ragnar. Nothing about him really sells me as a leader Vikings of all people would rally behind. In general the show feels like it is spinning wheels and the Bjorn plot is the only interesting one that is left to me. I like Lagertha still, but they are clearly setting her up for her fall so ehhh.

As far as Bjorn goes... I hope they stick with the history a bit. GREEK FIRE! Seriously I want to see that. He definitely comes across as the most level headed of his pack.

I don’t think Ivar is anything like Ragnar. Ragnar could be ruthless but he was a human. Ivar is a force of nature. Bjorn is the closest in nature to his father than the remainder of his brothers... mainly because he is his own man. He doesn’t spend all his time wondering what Ragnar would do. Ubba feels like he tries too hard. Hvitserk isn’t as bad but he needs to distance himself from Ivar if he wants to live long.

Lagertha is doomed. I just hope she dies well.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

Aethelwulf is the biggest cuck on tv

I'm not much for the whole system of monarchy, but between the Keyman fight and the last episode with our Bretwalda smashing in a dude's skull with rock, I'd follow King Aethy into battle. His personal life is his business.

Also, Hammer-viking has got to be one of Old Man Valhalla/Santa Viking sons. That's my head-canon anyways.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Another thing about Ivar, he's only fulfilling his fathers' last wishes.

Ragnar originally wanted farming lands, that's true. But once his kin were massacred, he was dead set on revenge.

Some of his last words to Ivar were, "Show them no mercy."

That's exactly what Ivar is doing.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

He killed Aella and Ecbert though, those were his two betrayers

What else is there to do? massacre all saxons?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Constant posted:

Do people really forget that this show is called Vikings?

It's the middle ages, what else are you gonna do? They didn't have the History Channel yet

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Constant posted:

Ecbert's kingdom still exist soooo why not?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Constant posted:

Uhm...yeah

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to see those Russian norsemen the arab guy was talking about.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to see those Russian norsemen the arab guy was talking about.

They are probably the same as the (assumed) Scandinavian protagonists in this one

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'm not sure why that nun woman wants Bjorn and the others dead. It's not like they had been the guy's "bodyguards" for long and their desire to meet the Emir help her plots.

If anything she should be thanking them.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There were other Viking conquests that went through Eastern Europe and down through the Black Sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus%27_people

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kievan_Rus%27

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 22, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure why that nun woman wants Bjorn and the others dead. It's not like they had been the guy's "bodyguards" for long and their desire to meet the Emir help her plots.

If anything she should be thanking them.

Heathens/witnesses/unsure about allegiance/big ol bitch or all four maybe! They seem kinda unstable really with the whole cannibalism thing and arranging trade deals with them then trying to kill them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Halfdan the Black being suprisingly okay with eating people was a good character moment.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jfood posted:

Halfdan the Black being suprisingly okay with eating people was a good character moment.

thats not the only thing hes ok with :dong:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Constant posted:

thats not the only thing hes ok with :dong:

That makes me wonder, did the Emir assumed/know he was gay(or bi?) or was that meant as an insult to halfdan?

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Dalael posted:

That makes me wonder, did the Emir assumed/know he was gay(or bi?) or was that meant as an insult to halfdan?

Felt like more of an insult to me as it felt somewhat attached to when he was talking of bjorn ironside and how he is already known whereas Halfdan is still unknown outside of sweden/denmark.

or maybe the dudes whos hosting them likes ladyboys, who knows?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I know that in Ancient roman times that it wasn't an insult to gently caress dudes as long as you were the one that did the loving. Could be a similar case here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I thought banging a transwoman was on everyone's bucket list, so the eating people thing stood out more.

There's a really good chance that the Emir's stable has gotten so large, his bottom bitch no longer has any clue which members of his harem do and don't have cocks.

• Locked thread