Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dusty Lens posted:

Sure make fun of them but Gaijin never figured out how to sell a tank for $100.

Who's the visionary now.

im pretty sure the M4 Sherman Calliope is super close to 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Did anyone do a headcount on the final team goodbye shots and get 400 employees from it? From what I remember last night, glimpsing them during the stream, it looked like maybe 200 max?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The British one looked exactly like the last wave they've shown, only with some Santa hats shopped in.

I've posted gifs of every studio's wave last time. Somewhere.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

bbchops posted:

It really is. They've made the most clunky, awkward choice at every opportunity.

Who's this "they" you're speaking of? It's Crobbers who decides exactly what shade of green every pixel will be, this is all entirely his lovely design.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Why do they need a vertical slice? They've clearly been playing the game of their dreams all this time in the only place it actually matters, their dreams.

On the other hand a vertical slice that has literally nothing that the backers have poured thousands of dollars into should be getting them into a frenzy, but the backers are some of the most broken minds in gaming so they'll love it.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Can't wait for the immersion thoughts when the Commando has to decide whether or not to wipe his butt. The the sub immersion thoughts about whether to do a quick spritz or a deep cleanse. I wonder what additional immersion thoughts he will have when he's trying to force out a stubborn one (maybe one of the options can be a witty joke about 3.0! Remember me when you get to that, Chris!), or when he shats himself because of that ill advised cheeky extra spice curry.

The possibilities are ENDLESS.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

Mu77ley posted:

Who's this "they" you're speaking of? It's Crobbers who decides exactly what shade of green every pixel will be, this is all entirely his lovely design.

The royal they.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Meonekton
Oct 26, 2014
Are Shitizens still throwing money at this crap?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Meonekton posted:

Are Shitizens still throwing money at this crap?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

From the looks of it, yesterdays video didnt even staunch the bleeding. Did the sale already start? Is there even a sale going on?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

From the looks of it, yesterdays video didnt even staunch the bleeding. Did the sale already start? Is there even a sale going on?
It's a long holiday weekend so I imagine that's probably muted and new buyer activity. Have to wait until next week to if the buyers were hot or cold to the latest developments.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Revenues aren't great from the latest dreams sale. Better thicken the goo.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

I'm dying here

Now we get to see how the public reacts to the putrid turd that is 3.0. Best kick off to Christmas holidays ever

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Did they give a release date at all during the 2 hour presentation?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

monkeytek posted:

Did they give a release date at all during the 2 hour presentation?

Lol as if.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

The weird thing with the patient backers is that they don't seem to consider that this production is way too costly to continue indefinitely. If it was a smaller team, I can see how it would be a perfectly valid position. Tarn Adams isn't going to finish Dwarf Fortress this decade (or the next), but it is extremely likely that he has the commitment and income to work on it until it's done or the time comes for him to meet Armok. But CIG isn't going to survive on backer pledges forever. Even the most die-hard fan of Chris Roberts should be able to see this. They don't have 5 or 10 years to finish this, even if Skadden wasn't knocking on the door. That's where I think an element of dishonesty is at play, because CIG are certainly not being transparent about remaining funds, operating costs and income streams. There's nothing inherently wrong about selling an attempt at creating something unrealistic and vague. But there is something wrong about selling a product you know full well you do not have the funds to even attempt to deliver.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

There's always been something in the art style of this game that's bugged me and I think I just figured it out. This fictional future society has no art. Every single structure and vehicle is some kind of stainless steel box put together without any cohesive aesthetic principle. Even in the areas inhabited by people there's nothing but shiny surfaces and maybe an official wall stencil or big benny ad. There's none of the assorted stuff that people make, buy or collect on their day to day lives.

Yes but Chris Roberts is such a freaking creative genius ....

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
Insane, they are sperging all over themselves and this game has no timelines, loving it.

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

PederP posted:

The weird thing with the patient backers is that they don't seem to consider that this production is way too costly to continue indefinitely. If it was a smaller team, I can see how it would be a perfectly valid position. Tarn Adams isn't going to finish Dwarf Fortress this decade (or the next), but it is extremely likely that he has the commitment and income to work on it until it's done or the time comes for him to meet Armok. But CIG isn't going to survive on backer pledges forever. Even the most die-hard fan of Chris Roberts should be able to see this. They don't have 5 or 10 years to finish this, even if Skadden wasn't knocking on the door. That's where I think an element of dishonesty is at play, because CIG are certainly not being transparent about remaining funds, operating costs and income streams. There's nothing inherently wrong about selling an attempt at creating something unrealistic and vague. But there is something wrong about selling a product you know full well you do not have the funds to even attempt to deliver.

Yes but he will no doubt tell himself that he just needs Backers to continue to Back.

if they stop giving more cash .. it isn't his fault if he runs out of $.

If he tells them the current state of play they will most likely not pay up.

Since they want the game and he wants the game the sensible thing to do is to tell them porky pies.

After all the yare rational people and they should be able to extrapolate a likely delivery date years in the future given what they already have as evidence.

He was notably more honest about how much work there was to do in SQ42 in this stream.

Baldness fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 23, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

DualShockers: Star Citizen’s Single Player Squadron 42 Revealed With Massive Video; Funding Passes $174,000.000

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So how many careers is Ol' Gremlich up to now?

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

The Massively OP staff pick for Most Likely to Flop in 2018 or Beyond is…

STAR CITIZEN

Blood in the water.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Republicanus posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/23/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-most-likely-to-flop/

STAR CITIZEN

Blood in the water.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Funny thing is, we actually have no proof that any of that had no load times. Because it was pre-recorded. Any of those janky glitch moments could have been a transition.

Hell, anything could have been a transition, half the stream was just dark hallways.

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015
I really like how Citizens will talk all day about how it's realistic to have to fly 20 minutes to get somewhere where you can do poo poo, or how it shouldn't cut corners or compromise on "reality" in the name of fun gameplay.

But when you point out how CIG's tank has no internal space for an engine, transmission, suspension, or a turret mounting, or doesn't have sort of way to access the wheels and tracks for field maintenance, yet has enough empty space inside for a beer pong tournament, suddenly no one's trying to design a realistic tank and real tank designs don't matter, this is a game.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

You know what, hang on.

If my next game were to have seamless transitions in a huge 3D world, that wouldn't be something to be proud of. People would look at me and say "You idiot".

Tastefully done transitions are one of the best ways to optimize games. There's literally nothing wrong with them if they're done well and not too long. You have airlocks for fucks sake, that's every developer's wet dream for optimization.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posting from the GRAVITY ROOM

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taintrunner posted:

Posting from the GRAVITY ROOM

Send some GRAVITY down to the toilets please.
We have a floater, and its not on water if you know what I mean.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gosts posted:

You know what, hang on.

If my next game were to have seamless transitions in a huge 3D world, that wouldn't be something to be proud of. People would look at me and say "You idiot".

Tastefully done transitions are one of the best ways to optimize games. There's literally nothing wrong with them if they're done well and not too long. You have airlocks for fucks sake, that's every developer's wet dream for optimization.
But you don't understand, I want to be able to walk the distance from Dutch Harbor in Alaska to Tierro del Feugo in Argentina without loading screens and paaaaaarrrpppp

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Regrettable posted:

I thought this one was supposed to be Sandi.

Looks more like Rhona Mitra, kinda, in a really stiff, bad, 1990's game sorta way TBH.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Republicanus posted:

STAR CITIZEN

Blood in the water.

Operation MassivelyFUD succesfl

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gosts posted:

You know what, hang on.

Both Eve and Elite know how this works. Both Elite and Eve's known-space transitions use a "space tunnel" effect to transition between systems (in ED your ship is creating it, in Eve another object is shooting you through space). In Eve's wormhole space when you jump through a wormhole, it zooms in on the hole, and you pop out the other side. It's a tad janky, but believable.

e: Gravity room: I can see two purposes for it: 1. to generate the artificial gravity for the ship itself. 2. Allow a zero-G area for drills isolated from the rest of the ship so the rest of the ship still has regular gravity.

It's probably 1.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

These people who want everything to take forever and be almost entirely uneventful need to play A Tale in the Desert. When I played it there was no quick travel or teleporting. You had to walk everywhere. My character was spawned somewhere on the tip of the Sinai peninsula and I built my stuff there. Unfortunately that meant that if I wanted to go to the Nile delta, I had to spend hours running through the Sinai desert. Just going to a nearby Sinai guild to trade and hang out could easily take 30 minutes of running.

Building anything took forever as you needed to harvest crazy amounts of resources and every single mechanic was a timesink. I think they have chariots and some pseudo-quick travel (which takes a very long time to gain), but it's still really good at wasting your time from what I can see. But I dunno if they'd like not being able to buy into non-pleb status, as it is very much a social game and you can't really accomplish anything on your own. The game also starts over on a regular basis. That could potentially cause some grief.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

im pretty sure the M4 Sherman Calliope is super close to 100

:sassargh:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

oh and cig can gently caress off with that lovely depth of field effect

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1abDJyUBQ&t=532s

Compare this with CoD's deck action.
SQ42 is a loving joke.

SQ42 only remotely even looks good when there is 0 movement. As soon as there is movement you can tell this was developed by amateurs. There is a bunch of random clipping going through, framerate tears even when there is 0 action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/944492181087191040
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/944596233980645376