Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dig that hole, boy!

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/12/film-critic-accuses-t-j-miller-of-being-transphobic-following-offensive-email/?wasp=facebook-ads

TLDR: TJ Miller got hella aggressive with a film critic about trans issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
One film which must have some really creepy stories behind it is Dracula 2000. It's a Weinstein joint prominently featuring Danny Masterson and a whole lot of women who haven't worked in Hollywood since.

Speaking of which, has Gerard Butler been implicated in anything yet?

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

GonSmithe posted:

Who cares? They said that the day the allegation came out, and then 20 other people came out showing how much of a shithead he is.

I do kind of feel sympathy for his wife. I understand choosing to support the person you love for one allegation where you know the other person involved. It might be lovely but I understand it. That's clearly something they've talked about before since their joint statement was immediate. But then all the other allegations come out and suddenly it's all questions about who your spouse has been and is.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

david bowies corpse just beating the poo poo out of himself

Don't worry - we can edit the child rapist out of Labyrinth, somehow.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

twerking on the railroad posted:

One film which must have some really creepy stories behind it is Dracula 2000. It's a Weinstein joint prominently featuring Danny Masterson and a whole lot of women who haven't worked in Hollywood since.

Speaking of which, has Gerard Butler been implicated in anything yet?

I'm sure doing unfathomable things to his own body and career.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
http://thenerdstash.com/max-landis-sexual-assault/

https://twitter.com/weismanjake/status/942874390403809280

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Mind posted:

Don't worry - we can edit the child rapist out of Labyrinth, somehow.

i'm not gonna get behind anything that removes Bowie from stuff simply because the man is very dead and everyone who's currently benefiting from his work is, to my knowledge, completely on the level

like, yeah, he did horrible poo poo, but... that's just gonna have to go without justice. you can't meaningfully punish someone who's not alive anymore, especially when their surviving family is A-OK and absolutely doesn't deserve to be harmed by it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I wish disney would un-bury song of the south

And lots of movies are extra creepy now. There's a new italian romance movie about a teen and an older man (hello roy moore), plus "the crimes of grindlewald" has an older man seducing a student, plus Depp has irl crimes...
And speaking of labyrinth, its about a teen girl gettin horny for an older man

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Punchline: for a hot minute Max Landis was writing a Pepe le Pew reboot for WB on spec.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

Punchline: for a hot minute Max Landis was writing a Pepe le Pew reboot for WB on spec.

So he was just doing job research ;)

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

K. Waste posted:

When will Pepe le Pew’s accusations resurface? It’s been common knowledge that he’s a serial harasser for decades.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If the rumors are true about his pops covering poo poo up...

God, just... gently caress John Landis. Murder didn't stick, but maybe accessory to sexual assault will.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Here is a Maximum Landis compilation:

https://twitter.com/plentyofalcoves/status/944296301356879873

https://twitter.com/fuglypink/status/944312639873863680

Probably more out there but I haven't seen much in article form, though I was busy a lot at work today and new stuff may have shown up that I missed.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ooh, is it time to introduce everyone to The Dumbest Interview Ever again?

here are some highlights (shamelessly cribbed from this Jezebel article)

quote:

what’s it like being a single, successful guy in LA?

… the one thing that’s changed is certain chicks, which only started happening very recently, when they find out i’m a director, will open up a lot quicker.

you mean their legs?

everything – their legs, their personality. they’ll start crying to you in an instant.

oh god, why?

because they’re trying to leave an impression.

does it leave an impression?

yea, but it’s people doing a bad job at leaving a good impression. for example, extras on my set would just throw it at me hard in a way that i’ve never experienced. i mean everyone’s had that thing where you’re like making eye contact with someone at a party and you it’s on, but this was different than that. this was chicks coming up to me and being like ‘what’re you doing at lunch? i’ll come to your trailer!’ and i was like ‘i don’t know who the gently caress you are!’ my experience of chicks throwing themselves at you like that – they’re always loving crazy. no chick worth hooking up with is going to throw it at you because it means they’re crazy. i gave this girl my number – i was really stupid – because i was like why not? maybe i’ll hook her up with one of my friends.

might as well share the wealth

quote:

yea i wanted to hook her up with a newly single friend of mine. she started texting me every 15 minutes and i wouldn’t respond, i told her to stop texting me. i’d be on set directing and she would be like ‘why? what’s wrong? do you hate me? i know how you guys are’ and i was like ‘what the gently caress are you talking about?’ and it immediately read unhealthy to me. unhealthy and anxious. women who are throwing it that easy – they’re not doing it because they think i’m cute, they’re doing it because they need some kind of validation. i’m a tiny, tiny bit successful, but in the scale of things you’re gonna gently caress me for no reason? i don’t see it. i’m not on that level. i’m not a rockstar – i’m not in a band, you’re not going to be in my video. the only thing you could get from loving me is getting to gently caress me, and if so, lucky you. i guarantee that’s not what any of these chicks who just throw it at me really want. granted they’ll have a wonderful time, but it’s weird. being a single guy in LA is fun as gently caress and i love it. the fact that everyone here is so good-looking is intense and good and rewarding. something about everyone around you being a little bit better looking, it puts you in a good mood. i don’t feel bad or superficial for saying that. i’m also attracted to ambition and there’s a lot of that out here. but yea being a single guy in LA is great. sorry it took me so long to answer that question.

quote:

i mean you can’t really give someone any of these things, but the seeds of these things were there inside of her. we were in such a sort of unfair, hosed up relationship – not the kind where there’s a lot of yelling and screaming – the actual relationship was very nice and loving, but i was so fickle about her body. i’m not shy, i would just blurt out poo poo all the time. she ended up completely changing how she dressed and how she looked for me. that chick will never talk to me again.

quote:

I can’t date chicks who haven’t figured out their orgasms. I’ve met a lot of chicks who don’t or can’t cum during sex but still go on and on about how much they love sex and it throws me a little because I’m like, do you though?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Will Smith upon reading the Max Landis news on the day Bright is released, which was written by Landis and directed by David Ayer, the director of Suicide Squad:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Fart City posted:

Will Smith upon reading the Max Landis news on the day Bright is released, which was written by Landis and directed by David Ayer, the director of Suicide Squad:

Well, Max Landis sort of implied that the "fairies lives don't matter" line was made up by Will Smith. So there you have it. Hope his next bad decision wasn't sexual assault :gonk:

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I grew up in Ohio and whenever local news publishes stories about sexual assault the top comments are always people, many of whom are unfortunately women, suggesting that all these victims are looking for 15 minutes of fame.

This country is filled with broke brained dipshits who will gladly go up to bat for a rich celebrity who literally doesn't give a single gently caress about them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fart City posted:

If the rumors are true about his pops covering poo poo up...

God, just... gently caress John Landis. Murder didn't stick, but maybe accessory to sexual assault will.

I don't know. I mean I believe the poo poo against Landis, but people saying that he has a "powerful" father is like... Well it's not true. There's a reason he's barely worked in the last twenty years.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Max Landis' horrendous analysis of Carly Rae Jepsen's EMOTION is already worthy of capital punishment imho.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
2017 is the year of "well, hundreds of us knew that this guy was making GBS threads up all our parties with rapes but we didn't mention it because his dad?"

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know. I mean I believe the poo poo against Landis, but people saying that he has a "powerful" father is like... Well it's not true. There's a reason he's barely worked in the last twenty years.

I think you mean "there's a reason he hasn't been in prison for the last twenty years".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

I mean, the unspoken thing here is that Hollywood is jammed to the guts with marginally talented people who only have their jobs because of nepotism. There are many more Bryce Dallas Howards and Scott Eastwoods than Michael Douglases or whatever. Does anyone on earth think Gwenyth Paltrow is that talented? Would anyone else have gotten fourth and fifth chances at a career like Robert Downey Jr. if they didn't already know everybody in Hollywood from growing up around the industry? gently caress no.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yep. RDJ literally has a career today because he's friends with Mel Gibson.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

RobotDogPolice posted:

This country is filled with broke brained dipshits who will gladly go up to bat for a rich celebrity who literally doesn't give a single gently caress about them.

Americans are conditioned to aspire to wealth, and find it easy to empathize with/see themselves in the place of the wealthy, often at the expense of their own and those less fortunate.

Politicians exploit it literally all the time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

and in all honestly, Mel Gibson is probably still making movies today because of RDJ. alcoholic friends helping alcoholic friends

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean, the unspoken thing here is that Hollywood is jammed to the guts with marginally talented people who only have their jobs because of nepotism. There are many more Bryce Dallas Howards and Scott Eastwoods than Michael Douglases or whatever. Does anyone on earth think Gwenyth Paltrow is that talented? Would anyone else have gotten fourth and fifth chances at a career like Robert Downey Jr. if they didn't already know everybody in Hollywood from growing up around the industry? gently caress no.

I mean sure but there are tons of marginally talented (or less) people floating around who weren't connected at all. Explain Sam Worthington, for example.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

porfiria posted:

I mean sure but there are tons of marginally talented (or less) people floating around who weren't connected at all. Explain Sam Worthington, for example.

The mania for ANZAC actors specifically is cause they work cheap and can do better American accents than British actors.

DC Murderverse posted:

and in all honestly, Mel Gibson is probably still making movies today because of RDJ. alcoholic friends helping alcoholic friends

Gotta give some credit to his road dog, Jodie Foster, who is Bonnie and Clyde '96 for Mel like nobody's business.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2017

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

The mania for ANZAC actors specifically is cause they work cheap and can do better American accents than British actors.

Gotta give some credit to his road dog, Jodie Foster, who is Bonnie and Clyde '96 for Mel like nobody's business.

Is luke evans an anzac too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I think a lot of his current career thanks go to Shane Black and Jon Favreau as well. Gibson kept him afloat back in the day but Favreau is fought tooth and nail to get him in Iron Man when the studio didn't want him.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

porfiria posted:

I think Sam Worthington has been putting in some good work lately. His starring roles in big movies were all pretty bad, but he seems fine in more supporting roles.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

got any sevens posted:

Is luke evans an anzac too

Luke Evans doesn't do a particularly impressive USian accent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I think Sam Worthington has been putting in some good work lately. His starring roles in big movies were all pretty bad, but he seems fine in more supporting roles.

He's handsome.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Luke Evans doesn't do a particularly impressive USian accent.

I was just guessing since he was in tons of poo poo the last few years out of the blue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I find it quite amusing that people can't figure out why mid-talent people who happen to be beautiful end up in film and television.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

the Mel-RDJ-Foster trio is a little weirder than that, and honestly hearing about it made me like Mel Gibson a decent bit more. which is to say, I mostly feel bad for him and don't outright want to hurt him anymore.

Mel's responsible for both RDJ and Foster still having careers, because he went to bat hard for Foster when the Ronald Reagan assassination attempt happened, and was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for RDJ drying out. regardless of him being a shitbag now, he did legit really good things for both of them, and it isn't really shocking or over-the-line that they feel like they owe him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rhyno posted:

I think a lot of his current career thanks go to Shane Black and Jon Favreau as well. Gibson kept him afloat back in the day but Favreau is fought tooth and nail to get him in Iron Man when the studio didn't want him.

Joel Silver is primarily responsible for his life being on track, both on purpose and on accident - he was the first guy after Mel to throw Robert into something by getting him past insurers to be a big part of Gothika, where Robert ended up meeting Susan, who in like a year would be his wife and producer of pretty much everything he does. And then he convinced Shane Black that Robert was in good enough shape to be in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, RDJ and Shane hit it off huge on that set (as well as Kilmer, who swore off drinking the whole film in solidarity with his co-star), and from that point the future was set as KKBB was what Favreau considered proof that yeah this dude can carry a movie again.

But yeah, he probably wouldn't have had a zillion chances if his father wasn't who he was. He's a lot like Keifer Sutherland in that way - given chances after doing poo poo that would leave you blacklisted if your dad wasn't a mover and shaker and knew the people pulling the levers of power.

Jodie has good reason for treating Mel like family, the dude was the only person in Hollywood who was willing to talk or be seen with her after the Reagan shooting. She was put on the outs because of how her name was constantly being associated with "would-be assassination of immensely popular sitting President" and literally had no one to talk to because so much of her life up to that point had been appearing in Disney movies and Scorsese stuff. Mel was just in the big upswing of his career and risked a lot by associating himself with her. I feel like I posted this story already.

But yeah, nepotism has been a thing - it's always been a thing - in Hollywood. Always will be. Much like how the children of very rich people will always find a much easier path than, like, a Brad Pitt to finding themselves a movie star (as funny as it is to say that, it's true; Pitt didn't have a breakthrough until Thelma and Louise, and didn't actually achieve star status until the one-two-three of A River Runs Through It, Legends of The Fall, and Interview With The Vampire, which was a good eight years into his time in LA). One could argue that the nepotism and "rich people playground" aspect of Hollywood only helps to feed the virulent nature of assault through the industry, because when in America do people who have any sort of power ever have to pay for their crimes?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Mel's responsible for both RDJ and Foster still having careers, because he went to bat hard for Foster when the Ronald Reagan assassination attempt happened, and was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for RDJ drying out.

The story of this is nuts btw, and I always assumed Jodie got the boot because she wouldn't play ball and pretend to date guys for publicity.

The Cameo posted:

He's a lot like Keifer Sutherland in that way - given chances after doing poo poo that would leave you blacklisted if your dad wasn't a mover and shaker and knew the people pulling the levers of power.

Yep. It's easy to forget that Keifer was a huge joke before 24 and hung on for like two whole decades before he got his big break. You could definitely see Travolta that way, too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 23, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I seem to recall Keifer being in a shitload of popular films.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The story of this is nuts btw, and I always assumed Jodie got the boot because she wouldn't play ball and pretend to date guys for publicity.

Yep. It's easy to forget that Keifer was a huge joke before 24 and hung on for like two whole decades before he got his big break. You could definitely see Travolta that way, too.

I mean, going out in public with dudes would have allowed for, like, People Magazine to present a narrative of her working past it with the help of her man (one of the most common PR campaigns), so I imagine her agent maybe floated the idea. Then again Jodie was in college and fully coming to grips with her sexuality when poo poo happened, and in 1981 contending with being a lesbian AND the inspiration for the attempted murder of Ronald Reagan (who also still had a lot of ties back to Hollywood, let's not forget) WHILE going to college is a hell of a lot to deal with. Imagine having to throw "fake a relationship" on top of that. She basically just laid low, went to class, did some ensemble work, did some French films, waited until the world moved on, and wound up getting The Accused and her career immediately got back on track.

Rhyno posted:

I seem to recall Keifer being in a shitload of popular films.

Yeah, but generally as a supporting character, tucked in the second tier or playing the villain. Stuff with him in a more starring role tended to be small-budget pictures, and he showed up in a lot of cult hits, which can warp a retrospective view of things since the stuff that wasn't necessarily a hit back then is a "you mean you haven't seen...?" movie now. 24 was him being the heroic star in a massive mainstream success. Keifer is usually the best part of a lot of those cult hits, but only in like, The Lost Boys was he one of the selling points. He got lucky that his career got under way in the VHS era and his work could have a second life on home video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, yeah he wasn't always center stage but to say he was a joke until 24 is total bullshit.