Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Taear posted:

I really wish we knew the way orbs work. So far I've used about 15 rare orbs and with almost all of them I use 5 boosters as well. And yet I've not even got one rare blade from a rare orb. All of mine - and I only have Electra, Gorg, Agate, Dahlia, Perun and that guy with his name starting with D - I've got from Commons.
Last night I blasted through 4 or them all with full boosters and still just got commons. It's frustrating!

Several of us are pretty sure you're capped on your total allotted number of randomly-pulled rare blades per chapter. Wait until chapter 7, and you should be able to get a few more. I'm pretty sure Chapter 8 doesn't expand the limit, but Chapter 9 does.

Zore posted:

If you control Rex, Nia is also a bullshit good healing blade and has a unique mechanic where she does combo level 4 specials with Pyra if they're both at gold affinity for a bunch of extra damage.

Can someone with the plot healing blade explain to me how to trigger this? I've tried doing level 4 specials with both blades in question while my thread was gold, and no unique combo triggered. Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
you have to switch to pyra, get gold affinity then switch to the other blade, get gold affinity and use this blade's level 4 special.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Invenerable posted:

Can someone with the plot healing blade explain to me how to trigger this? I've tried doing level 4 specials with both blades in question while my thread was gold, and no unique combo triggered. Did I miss something?

There's a story event that unlocks it, I think in the final chapter.

Also, you can gain the affinity with either form of the Aegis.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm on Chapter 4. Do I ever get another party member I can transfer blades? Cat girl is my healer, so I transfer all my rare HLR blades to her. Young anime boy is my DPS, so he gets all the ATK blades. Poppi is my TNK but I can't transfer any blades to him. So the TNK blades just sit there, wasted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

beergod posted:

I'm on Chapter 4. Do I ever get another party member I can transfer blades? Cat girl is my healer, so I transfer all my rare HLR blades to her. Young anime boy is my DPS, so he gets all the ATK blades. Poppi is my TNK but I can't transfer any blades to him. So the TNK blades just sit there, wasted.

You get another tank and then another dps guy, but the tank is built for avoiding attacks rather than surviving them with defense and hp

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Then...what the gently caress are the TNK blades good for? Am I supposed to not use strict MMO party language? I can't imagine giving my DPS or HLR a TNK blade.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Invenerable posted:

Several of us are pretty sure you're capped on your total allotted number of randomly-pulled rare blades per chapter. Wait until chapter 7, and you should be able to get a few more. I'm pretty sure Chapter 8 doesn't expand the limit, but Chapter 9 does.

That would make sense. The game's so loving opaque in so many ways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nerdz posted:

you have to switch to pyra, get gold affinity then switch to the other blade, get gold affinity and use this blade's level 4 special.

It also has to be Pyra, not Mythra.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

It also has to be Pyra, not Mythra.

I'm pretty sure I've done it with mythra every single time I've used it since I never use pyra

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guys, guys.

I finished Ursula's side quest.

Calaveron posted:

You get another tank and then another dps guy, but the tank is built for avoiding attacks rather than surviving them with defense and hp

The tank isn't really "built for evading attacks"; just their set blade is. I don't think there's really much harm to having a tank with a mix of evade and HP/block tank blades, aside from deciding to equip an accessory that boosts agility or HP (and they'd still benefit from either regardless). I do fine equipping a mix of evade/block tanks (I mean, this is basically how Tora's are by default unless you change out their "role" parts, with one being evade-based and the other hp/block-based).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 23, 2017

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
How should I use boosters? Should I use everything or just pick one stat? Does it even make a significant difference?

I got the punching lady for my first.

poe meater fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 23, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

nerdz posted:

I'm pretty sure I've done it with mythra every single time I've used it since I never use pyra

Ah yeah, I think my issue may have been the 'can't use Mythra's level 4 indoors' making it default to her level 3.

Kinda bullshit the whole endgame is indoors pretty much

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Use them indiscriminately until you're trying to get KOS-MOS, then try to use the ones that let you prefer light/dark blades.

Theoretically they also increase the chances of your commons being 2-3-4 stars as opposed to 1. So really, I would use as many as possible for every pull whenever, just so that over the 25 hours of playing you end up with overall a stronger roster of commons to pull from. More than once I've lazily been looking through my commons and gone 'wait these skills are amazing, why am i not using this blade?'

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

"We are Ursula's New Groove, and we'll do what we can."

am I just supposed to repeat the same missions over and over until something happens

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Remind me again why we’re limited to 2-3 groups of Mercs at a time instead of as many as we have Blades for?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Theoretically they also increase the chances of your commons being 2-3-4 stars as opposed to 1. So really, I would use as many as possible for every pull whenever, just so that over the 25 hours of playing you end up with overall a stronger roster of commons to pull from.

I’ve never seen any proof that they do this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I got to chapter 7's big reveal (at least so far) and I was wondering how I'm supposed to take Nia's "I love you" to Rex. Am I supposed to think of that as romantic love, or just in the same way Rex meant it? Really hoping it's the latter since I really like Nia's relationship as essentially the Reyn of this game, and don't feel like they really need to add a romantic subplot to it.

I'm also torn as to whether I use Nia as a driver or Nia as a blade, since she seems pretty drat useful. I'll probably still keep her as a Driver because I'll be damned if I give up FUCKIN TURN.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

beergod posted:

Then...what the gently caress are the TNK blades good for? Am I supposed to not use strict MMO party language? I can't imagine giving my DPS or HLR a TNK blade.
TNK blades get tank helpful weapons from Core Chips - so they’re good even on the evasion tank because they’re ending up with like 45% block rate. You will throw them all on Four and, if you use Four, be fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

So I got to chapter 7's big reveal (at least so far) and I was wondering how I'm supposed to take Nia's "I love you" to Rex. Am I supposed to think of that as romantic love, or just in the same way Rex meant it? Really hoping it's the latter since I really like Nia's relationship as essentially the Reyn of this game, and don't feel like they really need to add a romantic subplot to it.

I'm also torn as to whether I use Nia as a driver or Nia as a blade, since she seems pretty drat useful. I'll probably still keep her as a Driver because I'll be damned if I give up FUCKIN TURN.

she definitely means it romantically and he's an idiot

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really don’t find constantly reworking my Blade teams for skill checks to be fun, at all. I wish they had a better system.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I'm on Chapter 8 and the story is getting so stupid and I love it. I'm also torn about using Nia as a Blade or a Driver. She charges Rex's arts super fast as a Blade and fires off specials like nobody's business, but then I can't ride around on Dromarch anymore. A quandary.

General question. I haven't found any Overdrive things since like... Chapter 5? I thought there'd be one in each chapter, but I'm damned if I found one in 6 or 7. It'd be nice to be able to swap a few Blades around, though I guess that's less necessary now that Rex picked up his Bullshit JRPG Protagonist Power. Can anybody tell me where to find more?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I really don’t find constantly reworking my Blade teams for skill checks to be fun, at all. I wish they had a better system.

It's absolutely moronic that it doesn't pull skills from your entire pool of blades instead of just equipped ones.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's absolutely moronic that it doesn't pull skills from your entire pool of blades instead of just equipped ones.

That would suck since you have a ludicrous amount of blades by endgame. So you'd be cycling hard for those ~40 wind mastery required checks and it'd take a ton of dumb micromanagement.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I'm maybe in chapter 6 or 7? I just finished Tantal and Pyra was kidnapped. Do I have to finish the entire chapter to get her back? Because there are quests for other blades like Agate that require Pyra and I can't finish them.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

bizarre deformity posted:

I'm maybe in chapter 6 or 7? I just finished Tantal and Pyra was kidnapped. Do I have to finish the entire chapter to get her back? Because there are quests for other blades like Agate that require Pyra and I can't finish them.

Yes

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Silver Falcon posted:

General question. I haven't found any Overdrive things since like... Chapter 5? I thought there'd be one in each chapter, but I'm damned if I found one in 6 or 7. It'd be nice to be able to swap a few Blades around, though I guess that's less necessary now that Rex picked up his Bullshit JRPG Protagonist Power. Can anybody tell me where to find more?

Max out the affinity charts for 4 star common blades (and release them?) will supposedly give you one. They are extremely scarce and it sucks beyond belief. If this was a PC game there'd already be hacks to give you 99 of them because the mechanic is truly awful.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

That would suck since you have a ludicrous amount of blades by endgame. So you'd be cycling hard for those ~40 wind mastery required checks and it'd take a ton of dumb micromanagement.

I'd rather them not inflate the numbers you'd need but still keep the convenience because it's already micromanagement bullshit as is.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That loving sucks. I hope it is a short chapter then. Actually I wish I had done Agate's quest earlier because she is really good and now her affinity tree is stuck on level 2.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

I want to slap whoever came up with the Holy Lancer Efrain rare enemy in Elpys. If you're going to make me fight this idiot in a place where only Tora can use L3 specials, and also make it immune to Break (yeah, full "no effect" not just "resist"), don't give it a Blowdown attack on top of it, you rear end.

[Edit: the break immunity and blowdown attacks are annoying because you fight it on a narrow bridge over a bottomless pit]

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Invenerable posted:

I want to slap whoever came up with the Holy Lancer Efrain rare enemy in Elpys. If you're going to make me fight this idiot in a place where only Tora can use L3 specials, and also make it immune to Break (yeah, full "no effect" not just "resist"), don't give it a Blowdown attack on top of it, you rear end.

[Edit: the break immunity and blowdown attacks are annoying because you fight it on a narrow bridge over a bottomless pit]

Where'd you find it I combed that place like 3 times and never found it for the Zenobia affinity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

socialsecurity posted:

Where'd you find it I combed that place like 3 times and never found it for the Zenobia affinity.

Pillar room at the very bottom.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Oh nooooo I was fighting it for Agate! I've got pay more attention to Zenobia's grid.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hot tip, if you're looking for monsters or sidequest guides check this out

It's what I've been using and has just about everything you need.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
20 hours in, and I have reunited with the soldier that I am not supposed to forget and I am pretty sure I can take at this point.

I hope I fight these guys later in the story because this will always be funny to me.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Did the person who did the art for xenogears design a rare blade? It'd be a shame if not because come on

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Did the person who did the art for xenogears design a rare blade? It'd be a shame if not because come on

I think he made Finch

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
How the gently caress do you beat the group of two tirkins and a bunnit in the old factory? Like chapter 3 or 4 I think. I’m higher level than them but my party size is reduced and they just wreck me every time

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

How the gently caress do you beat the group of two tirkins and a bunnit in the old factory? Like chapter 3 or 4 I think. I’m higher level than them but my party size is reduced and they just wreck me every time

Make Rex a tank

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Good Citizen posted:

Lure them with a rock to beat them one by one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I'd switch to controlling Nia if you aren't which can help a ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Oh hey, Chapter 9 finally graced me with a rare blade after 2 Legendary Cores and like 25 Rare Cores. It's Zenobia on the fifth character, which seems like an ok match? He also has Dagas, though.