Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bert of the Forest posted:

This may sound arbitrary, but I’m a big fan of creature features and I’m wanting to look out for any good gaming equivalents. What are some good games on sale that also feature really good/interesting monster designs? I’ve played through all the Souls games, Dead Space and Resi games, and am looking for something else to scratch my monster itch this season.
Evil Within 1 and 2 have some pretty cool monsters if you don't mind getting to them through legions of zombies. 2 is the better game but 1 has cooler creature and environment designs.

e: For what it's worth, I like Salt and Sanctuary a lot. Haven't run into that many issues with hitboxes and/or platforming and it is a big metroidvania with very rewarding exploration. There is also a fuckton of bosses, which is always a plus in my book.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I feel like you can do much better with Hollow Knight than Salt & Sanctuary but that's just me.

(Hollow Knight GOTY, buy it)

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Hard to compare. S&S combat feels pretty different from Hollow Knight to me, and Hollow Knight also puts a much, much bigger focus on exploration and platforming over its combat.

Everyone should play Hollow Knight regardless, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks. I just tried the Brutii campaign and I didn't have any money problems, but the Greeks totally wrecked me. I did OK in the battles, only lost one, but they just kept streaming in armies. They had so many units. I might have been able to deal with it if not for the rebel doomstack fleet destroying my navy all the time.
Get a couple of spies, and rush those cities that are weakly defended. Not only do you stop them from producing troops, but once you get some archers (or hire some Cretan archer mercenaries) a single city with stone walls can allow you to take out a bunch of superior enemy armies.

You can also try to camp a bridge and slaughter enemy armies as they cross the bottleneck, but that kind of strategy actually favors hoplites over legionaries.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Toadsmash posted:

Hard to compare. S&S combat feels pretty different from Hollow Knight to me, and Hollow Knight also puts a much, much bigger focus on exploration and platforming over its combat.

Everyone should play Hollow Knight regardless, though.
Oh, yeah, Hollow Knight totally blows it out of the water. Probably my GOTY after Prey and Evil Within 2.
But Salt and Sanctuary is good; a lot of the response here felt like overreaction.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zereth posted:

Wow the bouncy RC car in Watch Dogs 2 is extremely overpowered. Enemies never connect its activits to you, so you can just drive it into a danger zone, pick up the bag of cash or whatever, and despawn it and stand up and walk away fine.

Yeah it honestly gets a bit boring because that trick works in like 90% of the game. And then the other 10% they contrive reasons to force you to infiltrate in person and it's either a giant pain in the rear end or there's a simple trick that gets you what you need with zero threat, so it's still boring.

Though the actual worst parts of the game for me so far have been the car chases. There's something seriously hosed with the AI, so losing a scripted wanted level higher than level 2 usually involves desperately driving into the woods and hoping you happen to be camped in a spot the AI can't drive to or see (and you get to watch the AI circle around you like sharks because they blatantly know exactly where you are at all times). Because otherwise the game will just constantly spawn new pursuit cars on the road in front of you, making the hacking traps pointless. And then you're hosed if you're not in SF proper, since that's the only place you can feasibly zig-zag through side streets to possibly avoid them as they appear. Sometimes you can pull some goofy poo poo by running away on foot - hopping into a scissor lift and extending it up so you're out of sight - but that doesn't work for every mission.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished the first chapter of The Evil Within and have no idea what's happening. It's good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah it honestly gets a bit boring because that trick works in like 90% of the game. And then the other 10% they contrive reasons to force you to infiltrate in person and it's either a giant pain in the rear end or there's a simple trick that gets you what you need with zero threat, so it's still boring.

Though the actual worst parts of the game for me so far have been the car chases. There's something seriously hosed with the AI, so losing a scripted wanted level higher than level 2 usually involves desperately driving into the woods and hoping you happen to be camped in a spot the AI can't drive to or see (and you get to watch the AI circle around you like sharks because they blatantly know exactly where you are at all times). Because otherwise the game will just constantly spawn new pursuit cars on the road in front of you, making the hacking traps pointless. And then you're hosed if you're not in SF proper, since that's the only place you can feasibly zig-zag through side streets to possibly avoid them as they appear. Sometimes you can pull some goofy poo poo by running away on foot - hopping into a scissor lift and extending it up so you're out of sight - but that doesn't work for every mission.
The first time I used it to do that I was expecting it to have to bring the item back to me before I got it, but nope.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
How is Immortal Redneck? I’m big on fpses and Roguelike bullshit, but a review described it as “a mix of Ziggurat and Rogue Legacy”, which I took as a red flag. I really hated the focus on persistent upgrades in Legacy.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Which are the must-have CK2 dlcs?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Samuringa posted:

I feel like you can do much better with Hollow Knight than Salt & Sanctuary but that's just me.

(Hollow Knight GOTY, buy it)

I've played through hollow knight like three times though :(

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

Which are the must-have CK2 dlcs?

Rome, Reaper, Way of Life and Conclave are the ones that improve gameplay for every single religion/culture. The individual religion/culture packs you can pick up to your play taste. Horse Lords, Rajas and Jade Dragon make either major map/culture changes that significantly change gameplay in certain parts of the world, and are generally all good if you're interested in any of their features. And the rest are okay to pointless.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 23, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

brainSnakes posted:

How is Immortal Redneck? I’m big on fpses and Roguelike bullshit, but a review described it as “a mix of Ziggurat and Rogue Legacy”, which I took as a red flag. I really hated the focus on persistent upgrades in Legacy.

Its the best FPS Roguelite. Persistent upgrades are pretty minor, its more about your skill than anything else. It's very fast-paced jump n run n gun shootmans and a lot of fun. Way better than Ziggurat (which i liked)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
RE: SoW loot boxes.

They can be bought with in game currency that's piss easy to earn, so even if you feel a handful of random orcs is needed then obtaining the box is still unnecessary. They're a complete non-issue.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

brainSnakes posted:

It's a great game. It does have the persistent upgrades like Rogue Legacy, and they do help each run get a bit better, but if you're good at the game, they are more a bonus than necessary IIRC. Might be good to watch a few videos of gameplay first to see if that looks good to you.
What I really liked about the game was the controls. I finished the first Pyramid, but the second was quite a jump in difficulty (for me at least) that I haven't fired it back up again (but I will).

Edit - yeah, this is what I was pretty much trying to say:

Xaris posted:

Its the best FPS Roguelite. Persistent upgrades are pretty minor, its more about your skill than anything else. It's very fast-paced jump n run n gun shootmans and a lot of fun. Way better than Ziggurat (which i liked)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Yeah the controls and gameplay are all slick and fantastic with good performance. If you don't like run n gun backpeddaling/strafing around shooting things while jumping like a madman then it may not be for you.

Also RNG can sometiems gently caress you but well that's roguelite elements for you and in general it works out in your favor

They also just added an Infinite Pyramid recently since I last played, which sounds great. I kept hoping they'd make some DLC/Expansions for it

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Xaris posted:

I would generally agree with this, but with a couple cavets: Gunfeel could still be better, and the main way you upgrade mid-run can backfire on you if you get unlucky (i.e. you pick up scrolls for perks, some of them are outright nerfs to your character, and you can't tell if they are bad before you pick them up). None of the negative perks are completely game ending, but they definitely soured me on the game. At least in Ziggaurat you'll, at worst, be forced to pick a trade-off perk.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

They killed the casual! BDF! BDF!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Roluth posted:

I would generally agree with this, but with a couple cavets: Gunfeel could still be better, and the main way you upgrade mid-run can backfire on you if you get unlucky (i.e. you pick up scrolls for perks, some of them are outright nerfs to your character, and you can't tell if they are bad before you pick them up). None of the negative perks are completely game ending, but they definitely soured me on the game. At least in Ziggaurat you'll, at worst, be forced to pick a trade-off perk.

They nerfed a lot of the negative scrolls recently, the only one I absolutely hated was Vampirism which is technically a positive scroll.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Cool. I’ll add it to my list! I liked Ziggurat too, but it felt like it got samey pretty quickly. I’ve been wanting a quality fps rogue thing to perpetually murder myself with for a while now. And I like the sound of ‘Infinite Pyramid’.

Edit for Ruloth: I consider obtuse pickups that can gently caress you over to be a positive feature. ROGUELIKES!

Orv
May 4, 2011
On that note has anyone tried City of Brass? I am exceedingly interested but playing roguelike/lites in EA keeps burning me out on them before they're done and I'm trying to avoid that, especially since it seems to be changing fairly significantly on feedback and content patches.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Xaris posted:

They nerfed a lot of the negative scrolls recently, the only one I absolutely hated was Vampirism which is technically a positive scroll.

How so? The one I hated the most was the one that changed all in-game text (except critical menus) into nonsense hieroglyphics. A little too monkey-cheese humor for me, and I hated the loss of information.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Who wants a SRPG crossed with Dangan Ronpa's "someone dies at the end of every chapter" type plot?

That's right: I did!

Lost Dimension is a game from the fine folks behind the Etrian Odyssey series and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey - wait, don't run! This isn't a dungeon-crawler, you don't need any maps!

Instead it's straight up an srpg in the vein of Phantom Brave - characters can move until they run out of movement, they attack once per turn (or use an item or defer their turn to someone else, etc) - and it's straightforward your squad versus their squad. You manage counters, assists, sanity meters (characters will go berserk if they lose sanity!) and more -

And no, it doesn't have the crazy skill grinding you get from NIS games. Instead it has a fascinating system where you have thirteen characters who all have set skill trees. They're all separate classes, so to speak - one's your healer, one's your mage, etc - and one by one they all get whittled away as the game continues. There's a system where you can equip the skills of your dead characters, so you won't be screwed out of a healer if he bites it.

Which leads to this fascinating setup where you have a full party with almost too many characters at first, then one by one you go down to a handful of characters with ridiculous amounts of skills.

I'm not very far into it yet, but... my goodness this is weird and interesting and I want to see where it goes.

(also the plot is kind of.... dumb? dumb. A jrpg villain kills 6 billion people, then threatens the UN so they send in the army, and when that fails they send in a group of psychics to the villain's tower. You start as the generic mc-brownhaired dude who has the psychic ability of premonition, with tampered memories - along with everyone else. And then the villain tells you there's a traitor in your group, and if you want to both ascend the tower to kill him and save the world, you'll need to ferret out the traitor(s) and kill them every time you clear a level. It's not very good but it works to make the gameplay go.

also there's a girl with an english accent who reveals that she's been faking it the entire time because she thinks the accent is cute)

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Huh. I absolutely have never heard of this but it does sound interesting. I probably won't buy it now, but it's on my wishlist for the next sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Samuringa posted:

Huh. I absolutely have never heard of this but it does sound interesting. I probably won't buy it now, but it's on my wishlist for the next sale.

Sounds good! I've been having a hankering for jrpg-esque silliness lately and when I read its steam reviews I went from "this sounds interesting" to "...I want this now" and lo! It is strange and runs well on my laptop and doesn't require reflexes like Monolith or driving games or what have you. :D

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Lost Dimension is pretty cool. Consider picking up the DLC maps, since they come with some additional story.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Who wants a SRPG crossed with Dangan Ronpa's "someone dies at the end of every chapter" type plot?

Lost Dimension is a game from the fine folks behind the Etrian Odyssey series and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Holy poo poo, sold.

Edit: Oh man, that character design is ugly though.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm making good on my word, so here's my review for RATZ: Instagib.

As someone who wasn't on anything faster than a 14.4kbps dialup line up until I was about 16 or so (and who didn't get into online FPS until a decent amount of time later), I missed out on a lot of the "classic" online deathmatches, like Doom, Quake, Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Counterstrike, etc. That said, from what I've heard about those, RATZ: Instagib feels like an attempt to recapture that.

Everything in the game is designed to make it go fast. Deaths are instant, bunnyhopping and rocket jumps are present, level geometry is fairly simple and the textures are non-existant. The player characters are weird and hideous mutant rat things with solid colours which make them look like something you'd exchange 5 tickets for at Chuck E. Cheese.

The problem with trying to recreate the feeling of those older games with an indie game is that the community is small. Steamcharts has the player base hovering around the 50-person mark, with 35 people playing right now, and they are all better than you. There wasn't much in the way of toxicity, or indeed much of any communication between players (even though there is a text chat option), but I can only handle being lit up within seconds of spawning so many times before I get frustrated. This is a game that demands a level of skill I'm not at and am unlikely to get to. In a 5 minute match, I managed to get one kill and 25 deaths, and I am just not that invested in this game to keep going.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Inco posted:

I'm making good on my word, so here's my review for RATZ: Instagib.

This looks like it's basically Warsow instagib.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Bert of the Forest posted:

This may sound arbitrary, but I’m a big fan of creature features and I’m wanting to look out for any good gaming equivalents. What are some good games on sale that also feature really good/interesting monster designs? I’ve played through all the Souls games, Dead Space and Resi games, and am looking for something else to scratch my monster itch this season.

The Void is 80% off and has some, uh, interesting creature designs for sure.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
gently caress, The Void is so good. I kinda just wanna go play it now

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, yeah, Hollow Knight totally blows it out of the water. Probably my GOTY after Prey and Evil Within 2.
But Salt and Sanctuary is good; a lot of the response here felt like overreaction.

Hollow Knight just feels very different from Salt and Sanctuary. Salt is a proper RPG, with levelling, stats and gear. Hollow Knight is a straight metroidvania, where you collect predefined upgrades that are the same every playthrough (with a minor slot-based perk system, but again you'll have all those perks on every playthrough eventually).

I feel like Salt's biggest problems are the somewhat muddy art style, the uneven difficulty and the fact that it relies way too much on out-of-game information to not be bullshit. The fact that there's no in-game map whatsoever really sucks, but the fact that there's no respec and item progression is entirely hidden is much worse. Both of those can be solved with some liberal wiki-ing though and that's kind of the norm for Dark Souls games and games in general nowadays (even if it shouldn't be that way).

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
So the newly enhanced Planescape: Torment has a pretty nice discount. Is it worth repurchasing for someone with the original on GOG? Or can all the same upgrades be easily achieved with mods? Don't give a rip about the achievements and cards.

Edit - VVVVV Thanks very much.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 24, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Maybe with enough Frankensteining you can get a somewhat similar result if you have the original, but it's much more convenient to just get the EE. It really is good.

e: definitely worth €6.79

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

strategery posted:

Quick Recommend: Blades of the Shogun is 20 bucks and is basically commandos 1/2/3 but set in feudal japan. It's one of my favorite games in recent years and is extremely good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Roluth posted:

My one other complaint is that some of the rooms are just tedious and annoying. There's a lot more verticality and platforming compared to Ziggurat (note: you can mantle ledges, so it's usually not too bad), but it comes with the downside that sometimes you have to waste time going through a long obstacle course just to get from one door to another. This can also crossover with the annoying enemy types, so have fun chasing flying, teleporting Wizrobe fuckers through a stack of identical square rooms solely connected via one tall spiral staircase. A run and gun shooter shouldn't have rooms where you have to leapfrog up a large, mostly-empty shaft using small platforms.

Roluth posted:

How so? The one I hated the most was the one that changed all in-game text (except critical menus) into nonsense hieroglyphics. A little too monkey-cheese humor for me, and I hated the loss of information.

They made it so that scroll can't spawn in the first pyramid. Getting that in one of my very first runs almost soured me on the game. A lot of the scrolls are easy enough to parse just through the icon, but not all of them, and it doesn't add any meaningful difficulty beyond that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Monolith is a pretty fun lil' game. It feels like Binding of Isaac but without all the bullshit.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

So the newly enhanced Planescape: Torment has a pretty nice discount. Is it worth repurchasing for someone with the original on GOG? Or can all the same upgrades be easily achieved with mods? Don't give a rip about the achievements and cards.
The EE is definitely much less of a hassle. Here is a comprehensive guide to modding the original version up to snuff, so can see exactly how involved it is. Even if you just want to play at a higher resolution with larger text sizes and leave off all the other tweaks the guide suggests.

Rebel Blob fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 24, 2017

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm also making good on my word to kind and generous forums poster Xander77 so here are some words about Game Corp DX.

tl;dr: This cute little time stealer is basically Steam Thread: The Game and at its sale price of $0.74 you should just buy it.

In this game, you manage a game studio and it's your job to hire nerds and steal their surplus labor by assigning them to game projects for which you choose the genre, scale, and title, and hope the release does not flop miserably. Different sized projects require different sized teams and budgets, and different genres require different skill sets for a game (Coding, Art, Sound, and Writing) which workers accumulate experience in from their previous assignments. Once a game is ready you can choose a marketing budget and publish it, and it gets reviews from various knock-off publications and sells (or not) accordingly. Sales revenue goes to feed the growth of your game sweatshop. At the end of the year, there are various awards you can win to get certain bonuses on productivity, sales, costs, etc.

Workers have good and bad habits/traits (efficiency, sloppy work, sleeps on the job, uses the water cooler too much, etc.) that affect their productivity. Some of these can be mitigated by office furniture arrangement like making sure the worker who is always hungry is closer to the fridge. Efficiency and productivity can be improved by converting workers to specialists in one skill and training them in the use of more advanced tools (which also cost more to use in game development, so there is a trade off). The downside of specialists is that their experience in other areas no longer seems to count, but training does not increase their experience, either, so you have to decide whether to train them early and have an inexperienced person specializing in something for a while, or lose experience they've gained in other areas if you train them later.

Tool availability is limited to the least common denominator, so if you have two people working on Art for the same project but only one is a specialized and trained in "Fotoshop" then both are going to be limited to the non-specialized Paint. It wasn't clear to me what bonus the tool gives to the project but I admit I played entirely from what I learned in the tutorial so there may have been a better description.

Some minor annoyances were:
  • It wasn't easy to see the skills/experience of your available workers while you were choosing a project. I had to pick a project, see who was available, and then scrap it to choose a genre more suitable to the team I wanted to use.
  • Worker names and appearance were rather generic (though accurately nerdy) which made it hard to remember what their strengths were without clicking on them.
  • Fiddling around with office configuration is kind of tedious and feels like a distraction from shoveling out those games. I can't emphasize enough that this is a very minor gripe, and some people might find it engaging. You have to do stuff like make sure teams have sufficient meeting tables, plants to keep the environment productivity bonus, and so forth.
  • I hired 14 nerds, and in that entire time only one of the available candidates had a feminine name. I mean, I get that it's like that but, ehh, why do that? The nerds did appear to be racially diverse, at least.
  • At some point you have to relocate to another city to unlock various things like being able to train workers past a certain point. I get that it might affect your hiring pools but I don't understand why it would affect anything else. It seemed unnecessary, though it also wasn't that big of a deal.
Absolutely none of the above prevented me from having a fun few hours playing this game. It's pretty good at keeping you playing, because when you get to the point of having multiple projects in flight, there's always something in progress when other things finish up, and so it's very natural to see how they turn out, too. And then of course your workers from the completed project are now sitting around doing nothing, so it's hard not to start a new project with them.

The graphics were cute and reasonably well done for a little sim office type game. The animations of the nerds getting up periodically to meet at tables during pre-production or get a drink of water were fun to look at, and you could speed up time to get through the work phases while watching progress meters.

It's fun to try to pick which genres would match your team while meeting customer demand/interest (also indicated on the genre selection list), and make badly named games that get reviewed for the garbage they obviously are. It's also fun to try to choose between making larger, higher quality games, or cranking out as much shovelware as possible with many small teams.

This is absolutely not the sort of game I would pick to play on my own (oh boy, a work simulator!) but it was actually pretty fun and currently 74 cents (normally $2.99) so you can't go wrong. Thank you, Xander77, for sending me something cool I wouldn't have gotten to try otherwise! I will definitely play this game some more.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

RE: SoW loot boxes.

They can be bought with in game currency that's piss easy to earn, so even if you feel a handful of random orcs is needed then obtaining the box is still unnecessary. They're a complete non-issue.
Being able to reroll the dailies that has a high chance of turning one of them into a gold challenge, made buying boosts rather easy.