Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Hailing, as I do, from the great People's Republic of California ("Commiefornia"), it must come to pass that I be not a little alienated from that quantity or quality that makes food American, in the truest American style.

Therefore, I enlisted an Iowa-fed corn-blooded red-bred American to tell me what, of food, was most American, and how it could be incorporated into a Chop Suey.

Good effort. Now for the answer in spoilers.

American Chop Suey is just spaghetti and meat sauce but with macaroni elbows. I'm as disappointed as you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'd love to see someone make ambrosia.

I don't think there's a way to make it worse than the real deal.

You take that back

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

Good effort. Now for the answer in spoilers.

American Chop Suey is just spaghetti and meat sauce but with macaroni elbows. I'm as disappointed as you are.

According to my grandmother-in-law, it's a bit more complicated than that:

Put elbow macaroni, diced tomatoes, ground beef, and onions in a loaf pan, top with ketchup, and bake. The end result should hold its shape well enough that you can slice it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i strived to make a caricature of 'murica
i was outdone by the reality

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i strived to make a caricature of 'murica
i was outdone by the reality

You really should have known to add ketchup.

Or mayo.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Burgoo will be attempted sometime next week when im not dealing with holiday chaos.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You really should have known to add ketchup.

Or mayo.
Or both, and also ranch. :unsmigghh:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'd suggest Bubble and Squeak and I only know it from The Katering Show so I'm sure you can't disappoint me.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Their condom full of pins should be easy to create.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

RandomPauI posted:

Their condom full of pins should be easy to create.
Tbh that sounds exactly like a summer roll. Come on, with all the long thin noodles and carrots and sprouts in the, well, condom

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I will take the Hot Brown!

I'd also like to suggest the Cheese Ball and Minnesotan Sushi.

E: Also suggesting Sloppy Joes.

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 26, 2017

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Sadly, I have heard of everything on the list so far. I thought I was a bit more ignorant than that.

So, with that in mind, how would you go about preparing German potato salad? It seems many people don't have the slightest clue what that means, except it has potatoes involved in some way.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Missing Name posted:

Sadly, I have heard of everything on the list so far. I thought I was a bit more ignorant than that.

So, with that in mind, how would you go about preparing German potato salad? It seems many people don't have the slightest clue what that means, except it has potatoes involved in some way.

German potato salad is a proper potato salad, the ingredients are normal.
has everything except the "potato salad dressing" from the supermarket.

How about Gołąbki. Polish dish that means "little pigeons"

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 26, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Do I strictly need sturgeon so I can do Minnesota Sushi, or can I substitute with catfish..... Hm. I wanna do this one. It brings to mind such delights.

\/ Oh don't worry, it will incorporate elements of hot dish \/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 26, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do I strictly need sturgeon so I can do Minnesota Sushi, or can I substitute with catfish..... Hm. I wanna do this one. It brings to mind such delights.

For me, it brought to mind a tuna hotdish.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Minnesota Sushi makes me think it's spam on rice pudding.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I was tempted to claim Minnesota sushi, but won't have time for it in the near future; my plan had been to just buy all the beige stuff at the grocery store and roll it up.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I would have guessed lutefisk sushi. ...Am I right?

Also, I'm not going to make nun's farts after all, because I'm too lazy to actually make something I doubt I'd even like. The name just instantly made me think of a savory bean-filled pastry. I was going to use white beans, seasoned similarly to cassoulet, encased in a habit of puff pastry.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 27, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still plan on making Doom Rooster but won't be opposed to someone else taking a crack at it. I've just been busy with the Thomas fire and family stuff.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I am still planning to make nun's farts, but things have been crazy lately. Most likely tomorrow, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

I still plan on making Doom Rooster but won't be opposed to someone else taking a crack at it. I've just been busy with the Thomas fire and family stuff.

Excuses, excuses.

(I keed, I keed!)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm quite enjoying this thread and will nominate Loco Moco, which despite its name is Hawaiian in origin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So a Let's Play thread recently featured a cocktail called the Electric Current Fizz. I'd like to challenge the thread to make up this cocktail. Meanwhile, I think I'll acquire some of the appropriate alcohol and the one ingredient I'm missing to see how the result is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining a drink that's part soda, part black currant preserve, part citrus alcohol?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you know what a gin fizz is, you're part of the way there but there's still a loooot more to go.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm not drinking tonight but I'll submit what I would make for that cocktail:

Classic gin fizz, but muddle a bunch of Sichuan peppercorns in the gin before shaking the gin with the lime, sugar and egg white. It'll give your mouth a tingly feeling like it's being shocked!

Actually that sounds pretty good, I think I'll try it later this week.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
was gonna do jam roly poly before, but i did the spam frites for the afp thread so i didn't wanna fry more than once. also i ran out of oil. so here's frybread

brioche.

obscenely long chopsticks ftw

the texture was absolutely like donuts but the flavor was absolutely like tempura so i just had it w/ ketchup

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also, update the goddamn op

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made the actual Electric Current Fizz (well, combined in the way the game seems to specify).

Whatever you goons make will come out better, because it tasted exactly like vomit.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

But how does it compare to Neo Kobe Pizza?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder, is it anything like the real-life cocktail that translates to Electric Brandy?

Okay, I'm suggesting Electric Bran.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PT6A posted:

I'm not drinking tonight but I'll submit what I would make for that cocktail:

Classic gin fizz, but muddle a bunch of Sichuan peppercorns in the gin before shaking the gin with the lime, sugar and egg white. It'll give your mouth a tingly feeling like it's being shocked!

Actually that sounds pretty good, I think I'll try it later this week.

I just bought a bunch of those ingredients earlier and that sounds delightful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Submitting puppy chow

It's for humans I promise

Adding bunny chow to this.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Has poo poo on a Shingle been suggested yet?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Are there any beverages on the list? It's hard to tell with just the weird names. I'm definitely down for trying to make cocktails.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Some fun cocktail names:

* Charles Dickens' Own Punch
* Between the Sheets
* Cement Mixer
* Washington Apple
* The Fitzgerald
* Glögg

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We don't have to go too wild with the names, remember the original was creamed spinach. It's more that we have to luck into people who aren't familiar with something like soup dumplings. It's not dumplings in soup, it's soup in dumplings. You got this

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Some fun cocktail names:

* Charles Dickens' Own Punch
* Between the Sheets
* Cement Mixer
* Washington Apple
* The Fitzgerald
* Glögg

I'm familiar with Glogg (I had some for Thanksgiving!) and a Cement Mixer. Dickens sounds like it could be a recipe of his for punch, so I think I'd take inspiration from Victorian-era wine or brandy punches.

The Fitzgerald could be neat. Sounds like a Prohibition-era cocktail.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Beverage suggestions:

Prairie Fire
South Dakota Martini

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Beverage Suggestion: Cow Spunk.

And I'm going to take on Glorified Rice.

• Locked thread