Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A negroni of Dolin Rouge and St. George Terroir is a glorious thing. Another fine choice: Carpano Antica and Anchor Junipero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
RE: Limmer's Club Punch

Kenning posted:

To prepare the orange blossom syrup make up a 2:1 simple syrup and when it's off the heat stir in somewhere around a teaspoon of orange blossom water, to taste.

2:1 by volume or weight? Also, for the oleo saccharum, how many lemons worth of peels do I need? I'm scaling up for 1.4L Gin (2x70cl bottles).

Work xmas party is tomorrow and I'm bringing punch!

angor fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 15, 2017

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I always measure by volume when making syrup. Per 1 oz. sugar I would use around 2 lemons worth of peel.

Let us know how the punch is received! Limmer's is a rare treat at a work party.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made the oleo saccharum (4 hours) and added the lemon juice and orange blossom syrup (holy poo poo this is fragrant!).

Split that into two jars (440ml per jar). Going to mix one jar, one bottle (70cl) of gin, and 2.3L soda water for one batch. Shaping up nicely!!!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Does anybody know the difference between Dolin Dry and Blanc? One of my local liquor stores started selling Dolin vermouths (they also have sweet) and have both. Am I correct in my assumption that the Blanc is essentially "extra dry"? And which would you use in a martini, 3:1 with Anchor Junipero?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
No, blanc is sweeter than dry. I really like it in gin martinis personally but it's not what some people expect

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Dolin Dry is what you want for martinis. Blanc vermouth is similar in character to dry vermouth but sweeter, yet not as rich as sweet vermouth.

3:1 martinis are nice and all but do what others in this thread recommend and mix yourself a 2:1 martini (or 2.5:1.25 if you prefer a 4oz cocktail) with a dash of orange bitters and a lemon twist. Then later, try that with blanc vermouth or fino sherry. Elevate your game, my dude.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Goons, I need help. I'm not an expert at cocktails but most of my friends aren't experts at drinking. I have a few simple drinks I enjoy making, but they're all vodka and whiskey. I'll be at my friend's over the holiday and they want me to make a rum drink, but I don't drink rum often. They don't like drinking any kind of alcohol on its own. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could make them?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Man, of all the bases they could specify yet simultaneously decide they don't want to drink it straight. They choose rum??

Makes no sense to me but I guess they just want to post on Instagram that they drank rum cocktails or something. In that case whatever jungle juice works, just get some tropical-sounding juices and cheap rum and you're golden. You could even use vodka and they probably won't notice. Add a blender and lots more ice and they can call it a frozen daiquiri party. Just don't try making a Dark & Stormy if you want to avoid getting sued.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Hurricanes come out a nice color and can quickly gently caress you up if that's what you're into. Cuba Libre or Dark and Stormy are pretty simple to make if you have to turn out a lot. All of these aren't great winter drinks though. Maybe you could go with Amoxicillin, the ginger adds a nice touch of heat to everything while still being vaguely tropical.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Agoat posted:

Goons, I need help. I'm not an expert at cocktails but most of my friends aren't experts at drinking. I have a few simple drinks I enjoy making, but they're all vodka and whiskey. I'll be at my friend's over the holiday and they want me to make a rum drink, but I don't drink rum often. They don't like drinking any kind of alcohol on its own. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I could make them?

Punch, my dude. There have been a couple of excellent classics posted here, or you can hit up punchdrink.com for some more contemporary ones, but first and foremost it’s about finding a Cool, characterful rum to work with, not a “light” or “gold” rum. Look for something Jamaican or Haitian for example.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The Jungle Bird is a really simple, easy rum cocktail with some nice complexity to it and scales up easy into a punch. You only need blackstrap rum (Cruzan Black is cheap & good), Campari, FRESH pineapple juice (if you don't have the means to juice one at home they will do it for you at the juice bar at Whole Foods or any other bougie grocery store) and lime. How many people will be drinking?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

goferchan posted:

The Jungle Bird is a really simple, easy rum cocktail with some nice complexity to it and scales up easy into a punch. You only need blackstrap rum (Cruzan Black is cheap & good), Campari, FRESH pineapple juice (if you don't have the means to juice one at home they will do it for you at the juice bar at Whole Foods or any other bougie grocery store) and lime. How many people will be drinking?

Fact. I like a slightly updated version, found here, and it will scale more or less linearly, though you may want to reserve a couple ounces of the Campari until the end and add to taste. Consider freezing water in a mold to make punch ice- even if it's in tupperware, people love the visual impact (especially if you freeze pineapple and lime rings to emphasize the citrus in the drink).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

goferchan posted:

The Jungle Bird is a really simple, easy rum cocktail with some nice complexity to it

Seconded. Planter's Punch is another that scales up well. Get Coruba if you can.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Oh geez, everyone here is super helpful.

zmcnulty posted:

Man, of all the bases they could specify yet simultaneously decide they don't want to drink it straight. They choose rum??

Makes no sense to me but I guess they just want to post on Instagram that they drank rum cocktails or something. In that case whatever jungle juice works, just get some tropical-sounding juices and cheap rum and you're golden. You could even use vodka and they probably won't notice. Add a blender and lots more ice and they can call it a frozen daiquiri party. Just don't try making a Dark & Stormy if you want to avoid getting sued.

They don't hate other kinds of drinks, that's just what they usually drink at home.

goferchan posted:

3-6 people. I don't mind putting in work into a drink, the way I figure is anything I learn I'll be able to make later, as well. Cheap is good, though. We'll be drinking the entire weekend.

bloody ghost titty posted:

Punch, my dude. There have been a couple of excellent classics posted here, or you can hit up punchdrink.com for some more contemporary ones, but first and foremost it’s about finding a Cool, characterful rum to work with, not a “light” or “gold” rum. Look for something Jamaican or Haitian for example.

This website owns. I've never shopped for rum, I appreciate the direction. :)

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hurricanes come out a nice color and can quickly gently caress you up if that's what you're into. Cuba Libre or Dark and Stormy are pretty simple to make if you have to turn out a lot. All of these aren't great winter drinks though. Maybe you could go with Amoxicillin, the ginger adds a nice touch of heat to everything while still being vaguely tropical.

If they have rum on hand already this may be the play. I bet they'd dig this a lot. I've never had a Hurricane, but I'd be down to try to make one.

goferchan posted:

This looks great, too. Aaah so many suggestions.

I'll definitely post with whatever I end up making. Price is likely going to be the defining factor here, since there's going to be a lot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Anyone here ever try Bacardi Black? I make a point of trying my mixing spirits neat, and it was nigh-undrinkable.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bacardi Oakheart + orange wedge w/ cinnamon powder is wonderful though, especially considering the price

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
No argument on that point! I made some egg nog with it over the weekend.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

We're spending NYE weekend in Toronto. Any recommendations for cocktail bars? My local bartender already recommended BarChef.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Any of Jen Agg's places. Blackhoof or Rhum bar.

Side note: I got a bottle of black walnut Amaro. Cocktails?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, so that I don't miss it again, what's the time of year to make nocino?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I believe it's in June. I accidentally left my nuts in the last batch for too long, but I'm just gonna leave it to mellow until I forget about it and hopefully by the time I find it again, it'll be alright.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

We're spending NYE weekend in Toronto. Any recommendations for cocktail bars? My local bartender already recommended BarChef.

I'll be working at Famous Last Words but that's pretty far in the west for a crawl. Civil Liberties on bloor is the best industry cocktail bar in the city and is near Mulberry and Northwood (which are ok) but will be rammed. Rush Lane is on Queen and is kinda a bartender run bar, I have had an OK time there and it isn't too far from Barchef and Temperance Society; Lo Pan is great and is above Dai Lo and is next to Raval, which is gorgeous and needs to be seen to be believed but is real busy and a money people spot. Further west on Queen is Pretty Ugly, Shameful Tiki, and Chanteclair all in walking distance and all have amazing bartenders. The 47 is secretly amazing but real low key and not for everyone. There's a million other great places but those are the ones I bother to drink at. I know nothing of the east end.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
As someone with no chance of going to Toronto soon, what do you mean by super low key and not for everybody (re 47)?

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

The Maestro posted:

As someone with no chance of going to Toronto soon, what do you mean by super low key and not for everybody (re 47)?

It seems like a cross between a weird old man bar and a hipster sports bar, it's right next to a strip club, and the lead bartender has no patience for cocktail bar pretension or the hospitality nerd backlash -- you're way more likely to see people in adidas tracksuits than a vest. He just secretly seems to be doing some of the best cocktail things around (homemade amaro and interesting brandy, sou vide infusions) but not on any specific menu. The room is super tiny too. Food til 2 though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Kenning posted:

A negroni of Dolin Rouge and St. George Terroir is a glorious thing. Another fine choice: Carpano Antica and Anchor Junipero.

So I just tried a negroni at a bar and I’m in love-it makes sense since I love bitter things and grapefruit, citrus, etc, I think.

Anyways-besides the above-is there any other recommended gin and vermouth to get? I want the sweet red vermouth, right?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You do. Dolin Rogue, Cocci Torino, and Carpano Antica are all fine choices and you should be able to find at least one of the above in your local fancy grocery store.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

goferchan posted:

You do. Dolin Rogue, Cocci Torino, and Carpano Antica are all fine choices and you should be able to find at least one of the above in your local fancy grocery store.

Perfect-thank you!

And just to get more clarification-what’s the proper way to make it?

I discovered it on our honeymoon in Europe at a hotel in Prague.

The first time it was made appeared to be 1:1:1 gin:vermouth:campari with orange zest served over ice in a highball.

The second time it was shaken and strained, served in a martini glass-it tasted somewhat the same.

The third time I’m thinking was a horrible mess in Austria-where my wife said she saw orange juice brought into the mix, and it tasted like a screwdriver with gin and a splash of Campari. The bartender was clueless at making drinks and was looking around for stuff when another guy asked for a gin and tonic. To add insult to injury-it was the first drink listed on their menu!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

1oz gin, 1oz campari, 1oz sweet vermouth stirred & served over ice is the traditional presentation. I like to express an orange peel on it afterwards, some people are very specific about leaving the peel in after or throwing it away but that is up to you

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Unrelated, but my neighbor served me some ratio of orange juice and campari that was delicious. Way better than a tequila sunrise, though I don't know if that's a fair comparison. I'll have to ask for the ratio and have it for brunch one of these days.

For Christmas I got Liquid Intelligence along with a restock of nitrogen chargers for my isi whipper. I made the quick cocoa nib vodka. The aroma was excellent but the flavor was too weak for the example cocktail, the "Schokozitrone" aka 4:1:1 chocolate vodka:lemon:ss, 2 dashes chocolate bitters pinch of salt. Good cocktail but you have to remember to swirl and sniff to get the chocolate, or perhaps use a coupe. The candied ginger garnish was odd.

I may try infusing again with more nibs and time, as I love chocolate. Any other good uses for the chocolate vodka? I tried a white Russian but the chocolate was even more lost.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

My go-to when I worked at a bar where you drink behind the bar was a Steigl Radler with a little Campari splashed in . You can sip it all day and it'll never get you drunk but keeps your BAC from ever reaching the dreaded 0.0

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I'm still reading through this thread but wanted to chime in. There is a ton of good info here.
After reading the first couple pages, and realizing how much I enjoy a good cocktail, decided to go all in. I recently moved and am relatively near a very large liquor store that has cheap prices and can order a lot in.
Picked up the 12 Bottle Bar and I currently now have on hand:
Belvedere Vodka
Grey Goose Vodka
Bombay Saphire Gin
Bombay Dry Gin
Bulldog Gin
Hendrick's Gin
Plymouth Gin
Tanqueray No. Ten Gin
Beefeater Gin
Genever
Smith and Cross Rum
Flor de Cana 4 year
Bulleit Bourbon
Paul Mason VS. Brandy
Couintreau

Grenadine
Simple Syrup
Angostura Bitters
Fee Brothers Orange Bitters
Nolly Prat Dry Vermouth
Martini & Rossi Rosso Vermouth

I went ahead and ordered some more books recommended in the thread
Imbibe!, Punch and The Essential Cocktail

Besides saying thanks for all of the good recipes I've been writing down and trying to get to making, are there any much have alcohols I should add? Also any more Gin recipes are always appreciated? I have a thing for Gin. Obviously
Drinks I've enjoyed so far are the...
Gimlet(tonight's drink and oh so drat good), Manhattan, Sidecar, the Fitzgerald, between the sheets, Opal, Bloodbath, Box Car, Martini's(can't get the vermouth right still), countless Gin and Tonics, Middleton and a Mint Julep

I feel like my Whiskey is basically non existent, wouldn't mind looking into another Brandy, and maybe a bottle of Maraschino liqueur?

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I feel like my Whiskey is basically non existent, wouldn't mind looking into another Brandy, and maybe a bottle of Maraschino liqueur?

3 glaring omissions are Campari, Maraschino (which you mentioned), and rye. I would start there.

Other noteables but (arguably) less essential are Chartreuse, Cynar, some sort of amaro.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Definitely pick up a bottle of Rittenhouse Rye. It's good enough to drink on its own but makes fantastic cocktails as well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Any cocktail suggestions for akvavit (specifically Aalborg Taffel)? I've got some leftover after making gløgg, and I quite like it, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano posted:

Any other good uses for the chocolate vodka? I tried a white Russian but the chocolate was even more lost.

4:1 chocolate vodka : sweet potato syrup with some chocolate bitters stirred works well! Same thing with burnt caramel syrup, not so much.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Toast Museum posted:

Any cocktail suggestions for akvavit (specifically Aalborg Taffel)? I've got some leftover after making gløgg, and I quite like it, but I'm not sure what to do with it.

In my experience aquavit can be really cool as a substitute for gin in cocktails. Aquavit Last Words are fantastic. Tom Collins, Corpse Reviver #2, et cetera.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

poop dood posted:

In my experience aquavit can be really cool as a substitute for gin in cocktails. Aquavit Last Words are fantastic. Tom Collins, Corpse Reviver #2, et cetera.

That makes sense; it does feel very gin-adjacent. After reading that it's traditionally drunk as ice-cold shots, I expected it to be pretty rough, but it's quite sippable even at room temperature. I think I'll try it in a Last Word as soon as I get my hands on some limes.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

I want to make a Trident when I get my hands on aquavit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had some....interesting experiences this week. I'll copy and paste from the threads they originated from.

To start, an interactive LP thread of Tally Ho included our protagonist, Reginald the butler, making his charge a hangover cure cocktail based on the Electric Current Fizz (a real hangover cure from the turn of the 20th century). I made the ill-advised decision of recreating the drink.

Reginald's Electric Current Fizz

This is the stupidest goddamn idea. If you would like to try it yourself:

* 1.5 ounces of gin (I chose Bombay as a classic London style to be as close to the real Reginald recipe as possible)
* 1 ounce of lemon juice
* 1/2 tbsp of sugar
* 1 raw egg
* 1 dash of salt
* 1 dash of black pepper
* 1 dash of vinegar (I used red wine vinegar as I had nothing else on hand)
* A few drops of habanero hot sauce
* Soda water to fill the glass to the top

Ordinarily only the gin, lemon juice, egg white, soda water, and sugar are actually mixed. This creates a pretty plain and unmemorable gin fizz. The Electric Current Fizz adds the egg yolk, pepper, salt, and vinegar in the half shell to take as a shooter before you sip the drink. As there's no mention of this in the game, it seems that Reginald decided to mix it up in one glass. This is the crucial mistake.

Reginald also puts his own spin on it by adding habanero puree. Along with the added complexity of pureeing chili peppers, I was concerned that the thickness combined with the egg would create something undrinkable (in the literal sense, as it would no longer be a liquid at that point), so I substituted for habanero hot sauce. You're also supposed to shake with ice, but I have no ice maker and it would have taken too long to wait for ice cubes to freeze because this kind of decision can only be made impulsively.

Here's how it looks minus the egg and soda water. The pepper floating on top makes for an unsettling garnish. Also that is a lot of lemon juice in proportion to gin.

My chosen hot sauce, which is somewhat comparable to Tabasco in flavor.

ker-plunk

With the soda water added, the frothy head from the egg whites immediately crops up.

At this point I used a cocktail shaker to mix it up. It didn't seem to like it very much, as the lid kept trying to pop off and spray the fizzy drink back out. Little did I know that my cocktail shaker could taste.

This tastes exactly like vomit, and I mean exactly. The bizarre combination of flavors is bad enough, but the vinegar contributes an acidity that brings to mind the taste in your mouth right after you're done expelling a pint of bile from it. It appears to work as a hangover cure by causing Rory to puke up everything he drank the previous night.

After the first sip, I dumped the rest of the glass in the backyard and brushed my teeth to try and return to some semblance of normalcy.

My next challenge was from Culturally Ignorant Cuisine, where you have to make a food or beverage knowing nothing except the name (if foreign, the literal English translation) and see how wrong you end up. One of the drinks that I was given after I asked for suggestions was a Fitzgerald, which is a gin sour with Angostura bitters added.

The Wrong Fitzgerald

The drink takes inspiration from F. Scott Fitzgerald, so I used gin (in honor of the Prohibition in which he lived and set his books) and creme de menthe (in honor of the green light from The Great Gatsby). This works better with the addition of green food coloring.

* 2 ounces of gin
* 1 teaspoon of creme de menthe
* 2 ounces of soda water

Without any green food coloring, I decided to get some of the color and increase the complexity of the drink by using a very nice bourbon barrel-finished gin from the St. Augustine Distillery. I just bought this last Saturday and I've been itching to try it out after sampling it in the store. Their regular gin is an excellent small batch gin made with a neat botanical mix (including some citrus, I think orange peel included because Florida), but the bourbon barrel gives it a fullness you don't normally get.

My initial attempt, which did not include soda water and used 2 teaspoons of creme de menthe. Not gonna lie, I came really close to vomiting as soon as I downed this shot. The mix of flavors (especially the mint) was incredibly strong and completely undrinkable, at least as a shot.

With the creme de menthe reduced to 1 teaspoon and another 2 ounces of soda water added to dilute the mixture, it comes out perfectly drinkable (and looks a little more green than brown). It helps to choose a strong gin, as it allows the botanical flavor and the mint to intermingle. The carbonation and dilution reduce the intensity of the alcohols very well. While I don't think this is my cup of tea, I can see some people really liking this.