Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Didn't Edge and Beth settle down together and start a family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sanguinia posted:

OSW's older stuff holds up pretty well. I just rewatched their ECW series and it was a blast. It seems like the Pre-NWO Hogan Arc they did for WCW might be the last good thing they do though, everything else for the last several years has been mediocre at best, and this TNA series was pretty trash.

What do you think made them worse

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Smoking Crow posted:

What do you think made them worse

I think a combination of comfort, reliance on gimmicks and either an excess or lack of interest. Any time they review a current PPV it becomes more and more clear how little they care about WWE's current content, and that they're doing those episodes just out of audience expectation to generate views, the lack of passion in those reviews stands out. Outside of those reviews they only seem interested in reviewing stuff that they are personally invested in (lovely movies, video games, TNA) and those reviews have become more and more about having a laugh with each other, sharing in-jokes, goofing off, and getting their running gags in because they are expected, rather than bringing the stuff that made them a success.

OSW reviews (and those that imitated them like NewGen Project and AE Podcast) got where they are by not just riffing wrestling pay per views, but by also providing a viewer with worthwhile historical context, angle summaries, character and story analysis, useful tidbits from both inside and outside the fictional universe that influenced events, and generally helping to make the sometimes incoherent world of pro wrestling make sense as long-form storytelling. The slick presentation was also a factor, although I think that presentation has almost become a gimmick itself at this point. The WCW Hogan Storyline reviews felt like a return to form because they were once again focused on all those things, but those seem to have become the exceptions rather than the rule based on the TNA reviews.

I was actually really looking forward to those TNA reviews because I wanted that old OSW insight into what was going on in that brand, but it felt like I was watching Episode 4 of a review series rather than Episode 1. They made no concessions for the uninitiated, barely recapped storylines or characters, and basically spent the whole time chatting with each other in a nostalgia haze rather than informing their audience. Which makes sense given that they are long-time TNA fans and this was the period they all watched as young students. But being in that comfort zone rather than addressing something they had to put some effort into clearly hurt their work.

Also the off-color jokes have increased over the years to the point of getting kind of eye-rolling and making it harder for me to enjoy them, but that's a personal taste thing. Like, it's nice that they recognize the offensiveness of Billy Gunn's misogynistic character in TNA and are mildly disgusted with the crowd for popping for his misogyny like he was a face, but then they spend like 10 minutes turning the Gail Kim match into a protracted "camel toe," gag. I don't necessarily blame them, but its too much for me.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Randaconda posted:

Yep

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, they got married last year

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Anyone here listen to Neal Pruitt's Secrets of WCW Nitro podcast?

Can you recommend it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benne posted:

Yeah, they got married last year

:3:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Basically, the fonder they are of the era, the better the OSW reviews are. I couldn't give a poo poo about their movie reviews though because yucking it up over THE ROOM or SAMURAI COP isn't going to be funnier than anything that's in either of those movies. I honestly do think that if they had stayed with the Hulkamania era and followed it through the WCW years then it would've been a richer show for it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
How come WOL gets so many repeat callers? I though it was a legit radio show on this sports byline thing. How come the same people always manage to get through?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

How come WOL gets so many repeat callers? I though it was a legit radio show on this sports byline thing. How come the same people always manage to get through?
Willing to bet Ryan from Cumberland for example is on the phone for the entirety of the show, every show

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
When it's often WOL I'm often only half listening but I really noticed it with Jim from Virginia cause of his heavy accent, tho he seems pleasant enough. Ryan from Cumberland is a name I've definitely also heard a bunch of times even if I can't place him right now. So, it really just comes down to hardcore fans calling in and waiting in line every single show?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I mean I don’t know for sure but the Venn diagram of wrestling fans, radio show listeners, and weirdly obsessive people would probably have a big ol’ overlap so it doesn’t seem like a huge assumption

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WOL has always had different groups of weird callers who call in all the time, even in the eyada days.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ed in San Antonio usually had good questions.

Nobody will ever top James from Kentucky, though, especially him calling into an entirely different show after Dave banned him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The best is the guy from Memphis or Florida or something who has a long preamble and a preliminary question before he gets to his actual question. You can hear Bryan’s heart sink every time, it owns

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Best of 2017, all 6 hours, is on the board.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Incessant Excess posted:

A lot of sports radio shows have a rotating cast of callers who become as much a part of the show as the guys in the studio

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Is Bryan a radio geek to go with the audio geek stuff? He would probably be a huge mark for having 'regular character' callers if so

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Have Bryan and Vinny said anything about their yearly Christmas show?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

mariooncrack posted:

Have Bryan and Vinny said anything about their yearly Christmas show?

During the most recent show Bryan mentioned it should be coming soon.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

Is Bryan a radio geek to go with the audio geek stuff? He would probably be a huge mark for having 'regular character' callers if so

All of Art Bell's callers were shoots.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a conspiracy

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

The E&C Podcast is brilliant, look forward to it as much as anything now.

Austin's has been in the toilet for a looooong time.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

MassRafTer posted:

All of Art Bell's callers were shoots.

"Oh, you mean my hole?"

"Are you Mel?"

"Huh? My hole. Oh, what?"

*heavy sigh, drags on cigarette* "Are you MEL, as in, Mel's hole?"

"What? My hole? Yeah, I'm Mel and it's my hole, so I suppose that'd make it Mel's hole."

"I'm glad we got that out of the way before we started really digging in to your hole."

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/944797312315883520
cool tshirt at the b&v christmas party

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/POSTwrestling/status/944795727208759296

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Oof... Surprised Vinny didn’t punch that man in the mouth by that point.

Digging the Daryl Takahashi cameo, though

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

where do you even get a geert wilders shirt in america

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sanguinia posted:

I was actually really looking forward to those TNA reviews because I wanted that old OSW insight into what was going on in that brand, but it felt like I was watching Episode 4 of a review series rather than Episode 1. They made no concessions for the uninitiated, barely recapped storylines or characters, and basically spent the whole time chatting with each other in a nostalgia haze rather than informing their audience. Which makes sense given that they are long-time TNA fans and this was the period they all watched as young students. But being in that comfort zone rather than addressing something they had to put some effort into clearly hurt their work.

Also the off-color jokes have increased over the years to the point of getting kind of eye-rolling and making it harder for me to enjoy them, but that's a personal taste thing. Like, it's nice that they recognize the offensiveness of Billy Gunn's misogynistic character in TNA and are mildly disgusted with the crowd for popping for his misogyny like he was a face, but then they spend like 10 minutes turning the Gail Kim match into a protracted "camel toe," gag. I don't necessarily blame them, but its too much for me.

TBH they sometimes act like whatever generic TNA "top guy" they're talking about doesn't need introduction like they're Hulk Hogan and it's really dumb.

Dudes, nobody remembers anything about TNA except you.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

No casualties, no buys!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh my god how did I forget tom singing at a medium pace.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Is that the Texarkana TV Title on display in the background?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hah, the box I sent them there is in the picture.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Germansimp posted:

I believe so

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Germansimp posted:

Right below Bryan's BJJ belts.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
:siren: The Bryan and Vinny Christmas show is up. :siren:
The Brent call is the best

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Someone gave granny Iceland dick

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

mariooncrack posted:

:siren: The Bryan and Vinny Christmas show is up. :siren:
The Brent call is the best

Listening to the show right now and just came to post this. Holy poo poo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Aww my gift was the lead up to the Brent call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

GoutPatrol posted:

Aww my gift was the lead up to the Brent call

Your cakes saved the entire show because it fell the gently caress apart right after that, thus becoming good.