Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He was in the 90s, since for that decade he was more famous for loving around on Julia Roberts while engaged to her (as Julia was cementing her long period as America's Sweetheart) than for any performance he did.

Like he got work, but he was way down the list after he pulled that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Wait, people really disowned Jodie Foster because some random loon with no relation to her tried killing Ronald Reagan?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yep!

I mean, it wasn't like she was blacklisted, but her name was associated with the assassination constantly in the wake of it since Hinckley - who'd already been arrested for stalking Foster previously - said he did what he did to impress her and of course the news went hog wild with "Crazed Gunman shoots Our Beloved President to impress Former Disney Starlet!"

The Accused came out in October 1988, right at the tail end of Reagan's second term. She essentially "sat out" the Reagan administration because of the incident (she did a few films, like The Hotel New Hampshire, but nothing substantial).

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the Mel-RDJ-Foster trio is a little weirder than that, and honestly hearing about it made me like Mel Gibson a decent bit more. which is to say, I mostly feel bad for him and don't outright want to hurt him anymore.

Mel's responsible for both RDJ and Foster still having careers, because he went to bat hard for Foster when the Ronald Reagan assassination attempt happened, and was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for RDJ drying out. regardless of him being a shitbag now, he did legit really good things for both of them, and it isn't really shocking or over-the-line that they feel like they owe him.

Good on him for the Foster thing at least. She’s a fantastic actress and her getting her career derailed by some lunatic would be grossly unfair.

On another note I wish Hinckelys aim was better.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the Mel-RDJ-Foster trio is a little weirder than that, and honestly hearing about it made me like Mel Gibson a decent bit more. which is to say, I mostly feel bad for him and don't outright want to hurt him anymore.

Mel's responsible for both RDJ and Foster still having careers, because he went to bat hard for Foster when the Ronald Reagan assassination attempt happened, and was pretty much singlehandedly responsible for RDJ drying out. regardless of him being a shitbag now, he did legit really good things for both of them, and it isn't really shocking or over-the-line that they feel like they owe him.

And considering how hard he abused drugs, his hardcore recovery and possible brain damage also explains how loving crazy he sounded on those tapes. Doesn’t excuse his behavior, but it does explain it better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Is John Landis the director with the highest non-animal body count

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

Didn't that one director back in the '20s drown an entire village making a Noah's Ark silent and get away with it?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

21 Muns posted:

Didn't that one director back in the '20s drown an entire village making a Noah's Ark silent and get away with it?

Michael Curtiz. Three extras drowned and dozens injured during the filming of a flood scene. Curtiz also directed The Charge of the Light Brigade, which had a couple hundred horses die during the making.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
There was also the john wayne ghengis khan movie's mass radiation poisoning

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
and that cannibal movie that killed real animals (never seen it,why would i?)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The thing I never understood about John Hinkley and Jodie Foster... Why wasn't she impressed? If someone did that for me I'd be super impressed.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The thing I never understood about John Hinkley and Jodie Foster... Why wasn't she impressed? If someone did that for me I'd be super impressed.

He should've let her in on it beforehand, also he didn't kill Reagan so I wouldn't be impressed either.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Like RDJ and his father Jodie Foster will shut down the conversation there and then if this comes up again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh poo poo yeah I forgot about the Gengis Khan movie filming near nuclear test sites, with additional radioactive sand trucked in to bring more authenticity

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I thought the Genghis Khan thing was thoroughly debunked.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought the Genghis Khan thing was thoroughly debunked.

I think it's one of those "we are way too far away from when it happened to know anymore"s at this point.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think it's one of those "we are way too far away from when it happened to know anymore"s at this point.

I mean, nuke testing in the Western states in general killed a shitload of people over the mid-20th century because of strontium in milk or whatever.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He should've let her in on it beforehand, also he didn't kill Reagan so I wouldn't be impressed either.

He should've tried to hang out with woody harrelson instead

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Calaveron posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_and_television_accidents

That first entry is some pretty bad luck.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Have you guys ever noticed when Max Landis comes up y'all trip over yourselves to make helicopter jokes and go "JOHN LANDIS KILLED KIDS" :v: and then start talking about how Max is a shitheel? Because somehow his dad doing something before he was born is a reason to dislike Max when he already has so many other things to bring up.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Len posted:

Have you guys ever noticed when Max Landis comes up y'all trip over yourselves to make helicopter jokes and go "JOHN LANDIS KILLED KIDS" :v: and then start talking about how Max is a shitheel? Because somehow his dad doing something before he was born is a reason to dislike Max when he already has so many other things to bring up.

Two people can be bad, and your dad being a giant piece of poo poo murderer definitely affects how you’re raised

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Two people can be bad, and your dad being a giant piece of poo poo murderer definitely affects how you’re raised
Most people aren't talking about his upbringing, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Harold Lloyd one is all kinds of WTF!? Lit the fuze to what he thought was a fake bomb, turns out to be a real bomb. Why is there a real bomb?!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vegetable posted:

Most people aren't talking about his upbringing, though.

Exactly there's never any content beyond the hot take of "his dad killed people"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Len posted:

Exactly there's never any content beyond the hot take of "his dad killed people"

Well now we can add “he assaulted women” to the list

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Well now we can add “he assaulted women” to the list

I bet goons will still trip over themselves to point out his dad killed people and then as an afterthought "oh and I guess he himself is bad for assaulting women."

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Since the guy got away with murder I think it's a good thing that the fact that he's a piece of poo poo murderer is mentioned a lot.

I do think the "helicopter parent" jokes are played out though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LesterGroans posted:

Since the guy got away with murder I think it's a good thing that the fact that he's a piece of poo poo murderer is mentioned a lot.

I do think the "helicopter parent" jokes are played out though.

Know what the difference is between those two kids and "helicopter parent" jokes?

The jokes have gotten old.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Know what the difference is between those two kids and "helicopter parent" jokes?

Nope, still funny

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Coffee And Pie posted:

lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Coffee And Pie posted:

...gently caress

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Just remember ABC

Always
Be
Cmaking helicopter parent jokes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

Jesus

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Your driving flying that poo poo into the ground.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Davros1 posted:

The Harold Lloyd one is all kinds of WTF!? Lit the fuze to what he thought was a fake bomb, turns out to be a real bomb. Why is there a real bomb?!

Yeah, he did all those stunts in Safety Last! missing a couple of fingers

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Len posted:

I initially brought up John Landis' Very Bad Day because in the reporting on Max Landis, it was stated by one of the victims that his dad had been helping to cover up the son's bad behaviors, in this case sexual assault. So it's a pretty linear track that John Landis is a bad person who got away with negligent homicide and is possibly accessory to sexual assault.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

got any sevens posted:

Yeah, he did all those stunts in Safety Last! missing a couple of fingers

I like once you get to the late 70s, early 80s, there's just a bunch of Jackie Chan listings.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

This early entry stands out because of John Ford having a lot of sense in the midst of all the entries of directors doing dumb things and dying/getting people killed

quote:

The Lost Patrol (1934). During filming in high temperatures in Buttercup Valley near Yuma, Arizona, Director John Ford insisted his cast and crew only work in the early mornings and late afternoons to avoid the most intense heat of each day. Under pressure from RKO to speed up filming, Producer Cliff Reid insisted that the midday break be shortened. Ford refused, believing that many of the crew would be at risk of heatstroke in the 120-degree conditions. Reid tried to prove his point by walking around in the open in the midday heat and soon collapsed with heat exhaustion, requiring hospital treatment

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

"...But... but it's a dry heat!!"

-Anyone who hasn't been to Arizona in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Davros1 posted:

The effects industry was pretty hardcore back then.

And by “hardcore” I really mean “suicidal”.

Davros1 posted:

I like once you get to the late 70s, early 80s, there's just a bunch of Jackie Chan listings.

Surprised Jackie Chan doesn’t have his own article.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 24, 2017