Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tae posted:

Lure them with a rock to beat them one by one.

They always aggro in group though? Unless I missed something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh hey, Chapter 9 finally graced me with a rare blade after 2 Legendary Cores and like 25 Rare Cores. It's Zenobia on the fifth character, which seems like an ok match? He also has Dagas, though.

Five and Zenobia can solo everything easily in the post game from what I hear so it's a good match

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Tae posted:

Lure them with a rock to beat them one by one.

This was the trick. My god that sucked. I tried that a couple times but I guess you need to run down the stairs instead of out the door or they all break

Tried to respec Rex to tank but all my remaining cores didn’t get me one

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

They still fight as a group but get stuck in the corners and stuff when running down all those stairs so you can fight them one by one

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

and then they attack you thru the floor

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And then tirkins from 3 miles and 5 floors away join in

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And then a level 91 unique snipes you from across the map.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Calaveron posted:

And then tirkins from 3 miles and 5 floors away join in

Well i cleared all the floors below the fight before trying it, but it worked on the first time I tried it and I didn’t see a better option

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Does Orb Master work on everyone in the party? I'm getting tons of orbs all of a sudden, even on Blades that don't have Orb Master.

Makes the super bosses much easier though!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I knew about the old factory section in advance so I equipped more appropriate accessories, used some pouch items, then picked off the weakest enemy as fast as possible.

If you use a tank you do a lot better, and there is a similar bit later in the game to watch out for.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Spite posted:

Does Orb Master work on everyone in the party? I'm getting tons of orbs all of a sudden, even on Blades that don't have Orb Master.

Makes the super bosses much easier though!

Yep, if you start the blade combo with orb master, anyone who does the second special also has the chance to set an orb. It's very strong.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
i am the guy who sucks off the monado before battle

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

Did the person who did the art for xenogears design a rare blade? It'd be a shame if not because come on

KOS MOS is a rare blade.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Oh hey, Chapter 9 finally graced me with a rare blade after 2 Legendary Cores and like 25 Rare Cores. It's Zenobia on the fifth character, which seems like an ok match? He also has Dagas, though.

Zenobia is a poo poo wrecker and probably the highest damage rare blade in the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Chapter 7: I can say I ever expected Nia to Kenshiro a motherfucker cause god drat, that was rad. I mean there's no way Malos is dead from that, but it was still great.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to beat him using Blade Nia, but Full-time Healer Nia was the reason I won, so I guess that still counts. Having a pit with enemies in a boss fight with a guy that can blow you back was really rude, by the way.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm having a weird issue with Boreas' side quest. All it says after the cutscene is to find who the statue is borrowed from but I don't get any clues from the description or a map marker. I think I saw where the statue was before, but there's nothing there. Searching online isn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if this quest is bugged.

Game is a blast though. It's both funny and annoying to listen to a friend constantly complain about it but he keeps playing. He gets super worked up over not being able to do all the terrain actions and his futile solution is to grind for some reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Party Meiser posted:

I'm having a weird issue with Boreas' side quest. All it says after the cutscene is to find who the statue is borrowed from but I don't get any clues from the description or a map marker. I think I saw where the statue was before, but there's nothing there. Searching online isn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if this quest is bugged.

Game is a blast though. It's both funny and annoying to listen to a friend constantly complain about it but he keeps playing. He gets super worked up over not being able to do all the terrain actions and his futile solution is to grind for some reason.

Put Boreas in your party and you should should get a quest marker pointing towards Mor Ardain.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I've had Boreas for what is essentially the entire game and have not figured out what it wants me to do to unlock his past his first level of skills. I haven't found any stash to add food to in Argentum, I can only assume it's behind the door that needs Super Strength.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Put Boreas in your party and you should should get a quest marker pointing towards Mor Ardain.

Doesn't do anything, but mor ardain is a helpful direction that Google couldn't tell me.

Momomo posted:

I've had Boreas for what is essentially the entire game and have not figured out what it wants me to do to unlock his past his first level of skills. I haven't found any stash to add food to in Argentum, I can only assume it's behind the door that needs Super Strength.

Or pay the nopon to open the door. Haggle with him to save 100g

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Should I be using the beast code on Rex? Right now I have him with mythra, roc and the dark gun girl which feels like enough.

Am I supposed to make full attack/heal/tank setups on the characters? I was thinking of giving it to the fourth character when I unlock them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Calaveron posted:

I lured them with a rock and they came one by one. What level are you?

And yes I wish I didn't have to swap out blades. I don't like using the non-rare ones, they're ugly as hell so I never have them equipped. Trying to remember which one has which skill beyond the super obvious (wind mastery on a wind blade or whatever) is really irritating.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Should I be using the beast code on Rex? Right now I have him with mythra, roc and the dark gun girl which feels like enough.

Am I supposed to make full attack/heal/tank setups on the characters? I was thinking of giving it to the fourth character when I unlock them.

Keep at least two Healer Cores on Nia, otherwise she'll switch off and never think to start healing when you're all close to death. Tora's worth keeping all three Poppi's as Tanks, because he has the highest HP and most of his attacks are geared around healing himself or drawing aggro.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Keep at least two Healer Cores on Nia, otherwise she'll switch off and never think to start healing when you're all close to death. Tora's worth keeping all three Poppi's as Tanks, because he has the highest HP and most of his attacks are geared around healing himself or drawing aggro.

It's not ideal but you can easily make them switch to their healer/tank cores because they'll try and do what fits the element you've just used. Nia used to have Electra for me, but as long as I never had any element combos that required Electricity she avoided switching.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Party Meiser posted:

Statue is in Indoline actually.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Only up to a certain point in the story, then it moves to the Mor Ardain docks

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Its design is kind of a giveaway too, even if you didn't speak with its sculptor when passing through earlier. Pretty much every titan's people have a unique design, except for maybe Leftheria and Mor Ardain, off the top of my head? Either way, the Indoline definitely stand out, b/c elves always suck.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So I’m in the postgame, and I’ve still got some questions:

• What's the best way to build up Trust, and speed through Blades' Affinity charts?
  • Where’s the best place to salvage if I want money and boosters?
  • Why didn’t they reveal Addam’s face? What did he look like?
  • Do boosters help find unique Blades, or just Blades of a certain element? Is there any point to maxing out your Ideas?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 24, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 24, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've just reached the end of chapter 7. Everything from the climatic battles of chapter 5 till now has been pretty epic. Tantal is far and away my favorite zone as well, I can't wait to see what happens from here. Well that one dungeon was annoying but now that they've done that gimmick I can't imagine it will show up again

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, i was looking there, and I remember it being there because I childishly took a picture of the statue because it looks like it's got a dong from the side. I guess I should look harder? I dont think i'm past the point where they are obviously going to move stuff like that.

EDIT: Ok, donghand statue owner found. Thanks people.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Gave my 5th party member accessories to boost their luck by 30% and +27, as well as two spear blades with +50 luck each, putting them a little under 600 luck. Picked up Boreas and the rare blade girl with the big phantom arms like that one Skullgirls character. Plus half a dozen or so worthless common blades.

IDK how many non-quest rare blades I have left to go but KOS-MOS is absolutely going to be the last one I get from a crystal if I even bother trying to get them all. :sigh:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Gave my 5th party member accessories to boost their luck by 30% and +27, as well as two spear blades with +50 luck each, putting them a little under 600 luck. Picked up Boreas and the rare blade girl with the big phantom arms like that one Skullgirls character. Plus half a dozen or so worthless common blades.

IDK how many non-quest rare blades I have left to go but KOS-MOS is absolutely going to be the last one I get from a crystal if I even bother trying to get them all. :sigh:

Has luck actually helped unbox unique blades? Did you use boosters? How many cores did you use, and what kind?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, I wish they wouldn't exaggerate (chapter 7 spoilers I think)Jin's abilities as being THE SPEED OF LIGHT and ABSOLUTE ZERO. Like, that is obviously not the speed of light or absolute zero. Just say "the speed of sound" maybe, or "he can make things really cold."

Also, question about the aforementioned end to chapter 7 - Why did Pyra/Mythra only now decide to bless Rex with this power? How did they retain their memories despite Malos's removing them?

One thing I kinda like from chapter 8 is that someone - I think Brighid - actually pointed out that Jin was basically responsible for murdering a poo poo ton of Ardainian soldiers (and probably other folks). Like, did this dumb fucker ever consider the fact that maybe all these people also have wives/husband/children and that he isn't the only person to ever have an emotional connection? Whoever (I think Mythra?) pointed out that what he was doing wasn't fundamentally different from what Amalthus was doing was also basically correct. It's nice to have characters give the obvious counterarguments to the villain's motives.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
First time playing on tv mode.

Pretty. Probably not sticking to it cause portable is too useful.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

So I’m in the postgame, and I’ve still got some questions:

• What's the best way to build up Trust, and speed through Blades' Affinity charts?
  • Where’s the best place to salvage if I want money and boosters?
  • Why didn’t they reveal Addam’s face? What did he look like?
  • Do boosters help find unique Blades, or just Blades of a certain element? Is there any point to maxing out your Ideas?

1 - From what I've seen/read, buy a lot of Pouch items. Get the cheapest ones you can, and it helps if you have the 'more lifestyle items capacity' deed upgrades. Then just put one in your pouch, then press A a bunch to cycle through putting all the items in your pouch while doing something else. It's stupid but as far as I know it's the best way of quickly building trust at the moment.

2 - I just use Premium Canisters anywhere. I'm sure there's an ideal place to do it, but anywhere will be profitable. I typically get 1-3 white chests every time I did it.

3 - I had this same complaint. I believe it's because they wanted Addam's individual character/characteristics not to be important and more for the audience to know that he was a good, virtuous hero. I truly believed they were going to pull some crap that he was Rex's ancient ancestor or something. I was a bit disappointed at first when there was no further exploration of Addam, but now I'm actually all right with it. I'm glad there was no 'protagonist's hidden identity' part of the game. Just this guy's opinion.

4 - I'm sure they do but I never bothered. I pulled KOS-MOS using 5 of the wrong boosters (not sure which, but I know they weren't the right ones) and cycling through common blades.

mune fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 24, 2017

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Ytlaya posted:

Also, question about the aforementioned end to chapter 7 - Why did Pyra/Mythra only now decide to bless Rex with this power?

It's a relationship metaphor

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Has luck actually helped unbox unique blades? Did you use boosters? How many cores did you use, and what kind?

No boosters because I didn't have any for light/dark. I think it was 6 legendary cores and then 5-6 rare cores. Got one rare blade from the legendaries and the other from the rares. :shrug:

Picked up a couple 4 star generic blades but none of them had orb master and I think maybe one of them had ok-ish passives for their role, a healer blade with 10% heal on blade swap which is probably decent if you setup to allow for (near) instant blade swapping and just heal by spamming swaps.

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I wish they wouldn't exaggerate (chapter 7 spoilers I think)Jin's abilities as being THE SPEED OF LIGHT and ABSOLUTE ZERO. Like, that is obviously not the speed of light or absolute zero. Just say "the speed of sound" maybe, or "he can make things really cold."

Also, question about the aforementioned end to chapter 7 - Why did Pyra/Mythra only now decide to bless Rex with this power? How did they retain their memories despite Malos's removing them?

One thing I kinda like from chapter 8 is that someone - I think Brighid - actually pointed out that Jin was basically responsible for murdering a poo poo ton of Ardainian soldiers (and probably other folks). Like, did this dumb fucker ever consider the fact that maybe all these people also have wives/husband/children and that he isn't the only person to ever have an emotional connection? Whoever (I think Mythra?) pointed out that what he was doing wasn't fundamentally different from what Amalthus was doing was also basically correct. It's nice to have characters give the obvious counterarguments to the villain's motives.

Ch7 stuff: the "Speed of Light" thing was dumb, sure, but "absolute zero" is kinda alright considering the sort of things he does with cold that shows he can cause such extreme cold that even if it's not literally hitting absolute zero it's cold enough that it doesn't matter tbh.

For your other question: Because Rex wasn't ready and it's entirely possible he wouldn't have been able to handle it if they tried, assuming it was even a decision of theirs to make because it sounded like unlocking the power required action from Rex specifically. Odds are even if they had said "hey just so you know..." it wouldn't have been enough until Rex finally took the steps he had to take.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Fluffy posted:

For your other question: Because Rex wasn't ready and it's entirely possible he wouldn't have been able to handle it if they tried, assuming it was even a decision of theirs to make because it sounded like unlocking the power required action from Rex specifically. Odds are even if they had said "hey just so you know..." it wouldn't have been enough until Rex finally took the steps he had to take.

That's what i got from it too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

Did you not pay attention to the whole BIG THING about getting Pyra and Mythra to finally stop being afraid of their own powers?

The latter question is either Rex having half her crystal or just the usual Power of Love. Take your pick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
After what's basically been a dozen hours, I'm getting my rear end slightly kicked again by random encounters in chapter...6? The one where Rex is just another dude with pyra/mythra gone for now.

First time using Tora in like 30 hours.

Yuck. Clunky as hell with only 2 units total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

After what's basically been a dozen hours, I'm getting my rear end slightly kicked again by random encounters in chapter...6? The one where Rex is just another dude with pyra/mythra gone for now.

First time using Tora in like 30 hours.

Yuck. Clunky as hell with only 2 units total.

Tora is really there to be set up as a meatshield tank and forgotten while Nia and Rex do the work.