Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I started a marathon of this show about a week ago and and am about to finish the second season. I love this show.
Two things...

One. Is there some sort of clause in the contract for every sci fi show that stipulates that in order to be made it must at some point include Jack the Ripper?

Two. When Kosh saved Sheridan from his fall, and all the various beings looked upon his true form and said aloud the name of the deity they were perceiving, that set into motion in my brain a chain of events that resulted in my forgetting the Vorlon's name temporarily and hearing Sheridan call him Gosh after being saved. I was very amused for a moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
"Well Gosh, they were all really impressed down there, I can tell you."

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Now I’m picturing Goofy as Sheridan.

Gawsh, get the heck out of our galaxy, ayup.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

We are all Gosh.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It doesn't help that boxleitner comes across as so homespun and aw shucks charming at times.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Narsham posted:

Short version: B5W is to Star Fleet Battles as B5 is to Star Trek.

In that case it's really, really too bad there was no B5C.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Pretend I quoted every post about B5 wargames and responded with a picture of Londo holding up the Londo doll

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a dream last night that I won a call-in trivia show hosted by Alex Trebek. My final question required me to know that Babylon 5 had a crossover episode with Seinfeld. I know this didn't happen, but... it's too bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pick posted:

I had a dream last night that I won a call-in trivia show hosted by Alex Trebek. My final question required me to know that Babylon 5 had a crossover episode with Seinfeld. I know this didn't happen, but... it's too bad.

Well, Ian Abercrombie appeared on both shows in the same year...

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
(in high pitched falsetto)"I've had it with you higher races coming in here and starting wars now turn off this conference call and get the hell out of our galaxy!"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Pick posted:

"It's the Summer of Kosh!"

"This spoo is makin' me THIRSTY!"

Jerry walks up to a Vorlon. It stares at him for a moment before saying *Jerry. Hello.*

"Why is this Narn wearing an eyepatch?"
"Emperor, you said you wanted his eye..."
"I said I wanted RYE! Marble rye!"

Bester and Jerry look down to see no sign of the shipping containers full of Dust, save for a mail-carrier's bag. They meet each other's eyes and say in unison, "NEWMAN!"

Close on a landing bay, empty save for a single shuttle. They climb in. Sheridan tries to start the engine. It fails.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Timby posted:

Well, Ian Abercrombie appeared on both shows in the same year...

Elaine has to dance around her boss

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I noticed watching Despicable Me yesterday that Gru has the same voice as Londo. Which is neat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marmaduke! posted:

I noticed watching Despicable Me yesterday that Gru has the same voice as Londo. Which is neat.

I'm now imagining Steve Carell doing impressions of Peter Jurasik in the recording booth to warm up.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Narsham posted:

"It's the Summer of Kosh!"

"This spoo is makin' me THIRSTY!"

Jerry walks up to a Vorlon. It stares at him for a moment before saying *Jerry. Hello.*

"Why is this Narn wearing an eyepatch?"
"Emperor, you said you wanted his eye..."
"I said I wanted RYE! Marble rye!"

Bester and Jerry look down to see no sign of the shipping containers full of Dust, save for a mail-carrier's bag. They meet each other's eyes and say in unison, "NEWMAN!"

Close on a landing bay, empty save for a single shuttle. They climb in. Sheridan tries to start the engine. It fails.

You could recycle the script for the episode where George is mistaken for a right wing extremist and stuck in a private limo with his followers. "The Minbari uses the Narn as muscle in their war against... human colonies must expand, :ohdear: "

And have George's father in the line up of earth religions with the Festivus poll.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Baka-nin posted:

And have George's father in the line up of earth religions with the Festivus poll.

I love this like you wouldn't believe.

Frank: You seen the pole, Mollari?

and then later Lennier saying, "I find your belief system fascinating."

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Baka-nin posted:

Oh my god, yes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Friend says: "Airing of greivances against the Vorlons."

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Watched Sleeping in Light today, finishing off the rewatch I started back in March.

It is a little over 20 years since Into the Fire was transmitted (February 1997); Sleeping in Light is set around the same relative time, and yet it has seven of the principal cast survive. In real life that number is only four.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Sheridan - still alive
Delenn - still alive
Ivanova - still alive
Vir - Actor dead
Garibaldi - Actor dead
Franklin - Actor dead
Zak - Actor dead
Lorien? - still alive

I'd just about forgotten Stephen Furst died this year.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Peter Jurasik is still alive, although Londo was not by this point.

Oh, and Bill Mumy and Pat Tallman but they're not quite so central

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Peter Jurasik is still alive, although Londo was not by this point.

Oh, and Bill Mumy and Pat Tallman but they're not quite so central

Mumy was main credit cast for the entire run, he's definitely central.

Of the original S1 main credit cast Andrea Thompson is also still alive.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
Well, it's almost a new year, and you know what that means - time for a new opening monologue.

And we all need to film new character cards. What do we think, rotating-on-a-plinth style like G'Kar?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I vote for "wacky outtake"

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde
Skimming through this thread made me decide to watch it for the first time. I'm currently halfway through season 2 -- I'm enjoying it so far, but the characters and tone havent quite clicked for me in the way ds9 did for example... Though, now that I think back, ds9 had a hell of a slow start.

Edit: londo being an exception to the characters not clicking...

Belbos Computer fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 10, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

You should be noticing an uptick in quality starting any time now. It just ramps up from there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ConfusedUs posted:

You should be noticing an uptick in quality starting any time now. It just ramps up from there.

Episode 9 should be your turning point.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Marmaduke! posted:

I always thought Tom Hardy's Bane voice sounded like he was doing an impression of Andreas Katsulas.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Our B5 podcast is in early season 2 now. There are some real stinkers in here but it does get better soon.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-name-of-the-pod-a-babylon-5-podcast/id1244239639?mt=2

Belbos Computer
Nov 20, 2005

Fiat Lux, Big Bang, seven days, seven minutes, seven seconds, and a universe is born before your eyes.
Slippery Tilde

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah you were totally right. I blew through the rest of season 2 last weekend and am now almost through season 3!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Belbos Computer posted:

Yeah you were totally right. I blew through the rest of season 2 last weekend and am now almost through season 3!

That high lasts until the end of S4. For real. You get like 2.5 series of nonstop greatness.

And Season 5, while the first half is fairly slapdash, picks up about halfway through and stays awesome until the finale, which is among the greatest show finales of all time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ConfusedUs posted:

That high lasts until the end of S4. For real. You get like 2.5 series of nonstop greatness.

And Season 5, while the first half is fairly slapdash, picks up about halfway through and stays awesome until the finale, which is among the greatest show finales of all time.

There is a very specific point where season 5 gets back on track, and that is the moment Byron's dead. Once he's a pile of ash, the telepath arc gets shoved in the trash and the show gets right back to being good.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

For all the justifiable poo poo S5 gets because of Byron and his rabble, I still feel it is well worth watching because More Byron means more Bester, and more Bester is never a bad thing. Especially the scene where he reveals his Asimovs to Garibaldi- he is just fantastic. A big regret is that they never filmed that Crusade episode where he would have appeared. Didn't Koenig later say he really rated the script?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I quite like a lot of Season 5. Byron's only in three episodes, most of the episodes before him are pretty good I reckon.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

I quite like a lot of Season 5. Byron's only in three episodes, most of the episodes before him are pretty good I reckon.

Is it really only 3 episodes? It feels much longer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hangedman1984 posted:

That's because the telepath arch lingers like a bad smell in the background of every other episode. It's the only arching plot during the initial stretch of season 5.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

hangedman1984 posted:

I'm not sure the number but it's surprisingly little. Even the Byron episodes are only like half telepath stuff. When I rewatched the first time I was like oh gotta strap in for this poo poo after reading internet complaints, but it was hardly even there.

Season still gets better in the back half but I think it's more that those were the long-planned episodes and the front half was all last minute, rather than specifically being Byron. JMS has proven over the years that he was a one hit wonder, IMO. B5 proper is fantastic and everything else I've seen him make... maybe if all his projects took him 15 years to get made and he had tons of time for revision.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hangedman1984 posted:

Because it was. Robin Atkin Downes was in nine episodes, although not all of them as Byron.

I'm honestly willing to cut Downes a lot of slack for B5. He was given rush job material that had to live up to what is still one of the strongest sustained arcs in television, it was his first major acting gig, and unbelievably he was barely 21 when he did it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't think he did a bad job with the material, it just wasn't good material. Like Kate Mulgrew in Voyager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Belbos Computer posted:

Skimming through this thread made me decide to watch it for the first time. I'm currently halfway through season 2 -- I'm enjoying it so far, but the characters and tone havent quite clicked for me in the way ds9 did for example... Though, now that I think back, ds9 had a hell of a slow start.

Edit: londo being an exception to the characters not clicking...

DS9 had a relatively slow start, but it also benefited from stronger character dynamics that generated more conflict early on. Ivanova might be a little rough around the edges, but she's ultimately still an officer who respects the chain of command. Comparatively, Kira Nerys' introduction is her not-so-politely telling the station's commander to get hosed.