Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Rand Brittain posted:

Singing the seed out of a grape and coaxing it to grow into a small vineyard over the course of an hour is cool.

Building off my previous response and this statement, that's why I mentioned discussing the quality of the wine. Wine made in a handful of minutes is gonna rate two buck chuck most likely. If they used a series of projects in a row accelerated by CNNT, to actually build out the entire process (vineyard, crushing/pressing facilities, aging facilities, etc) and then applied CNNT against that to accelerate the actual wine creation, then we're talking pumping out some top class wine in like a day to a week depending on rolls.

Note that this stays the same in both core or if you are using the Sanctaphrax craft rewrite.

Nessus posted:

Making booze is a form of craftsmanship, I think that's really all that it needs here. (I assume cooking and similar endeavors are still classed under Craft.)

They are explicitly listed as so in the book. Cooking a regular meal is a basic project, and preparing a banquet fit for a prince/god is a major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Rand Brittain posted:

Because that's my point? You can do it, you just have to figure out how it works as a piece of craftsmanship and not as random magic.

There seems to be a miscommunication.
I was saying that "I can make X faster due to my magic and deep understanding" is cool.

I'd also be perfectly fine with a player saying "I use CNNT to make wine" to move the story along. I've played with someone for whom stunts were a turn off, after all.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Crion posted:

As someone whose character's Crafts investment is entirely in making food and booze, I've never bothered trying to CNNT alcohol distillation (partially because my ST's ruling on it is up-thread and I know it wouldn't be allowed) but CNNT is one of a small, annoying sub-group of charms in core that through either lack of rigor in their writing or straight-up fiat give Solars weird magical powers partially or fully outside their remit. The healing charm in the Dodge tree which blatantly encroaches on the Sidereals' traditional niche is another one of those.

It's much more forgivable in Craftsman Needs No Tools's case, though, because functionally speaking no one wants to spend that much session or scene time on making dinner.

This is a really, supremely dumb complaint.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I didn't/don't like the Dodge charm that heals you because it used to be able to heal you better then Resistance could heal you and I found it fundamentally really stupid that Dodge was better for healing yourself in combat then Resistance.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Stallion Cabana posted:

I didn't/don't like the Dodge charm that heals you because it used to be able to heal you better then Resistance could heal you and I found it fundamentally really stupid that Dodge was better for healing yourself in combat then Resistance.

It's extremely worse than basically any other resistance or dodge charm you could care to name. It's actually pretty spectacularly bad. So this isn't really a problem. You could name that as an issue, though.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Crion posted:

As someone whose character's Crafts investment is entirely in making food and booze, I've never bothered trying to CNNT alcohol distillation (partially because my ST's ruling on it is up-thread and I know it wouldn't be allowed)

Yeah but your ST is wrong and I want to use CNNT and a Craft specialty in Alchemy to rapidly synthesize all kinds of fantastical compounds and items like I’m playing Opus Magnum, because I’m a rampant power gaming munchkin rollplayer.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nihnoz posted:

It's extremely worse than basically any other resistance or dodge charm you could care to name. It's actually pretty spectacularly bad. So this isn't really a problem. You could name that as an issue, though.

I did say 'used to', after all. Solar Resistance on the first pass didn't have a healing charm at all beyond Body Mending Meditation (so I'm talking about in combat regen here), then they added Tiger Warrior's Endurance, but it used to be able to restore infinite health levels as long as you came out of Crash, meaning it had an infinite combo with Reed in the Wind where you crashed yourself over and over to regain health levels, then they nerfed that.

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 25, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah but your ST is wrong and I want to use CNNT and a Craft specialty in Alchemy to rapidly synthesize all kinds of fantastical compounds and items like I’m playing Opus Magnum, because I’m a rampant power gaming munchkin rollplayer.

I am not wrong that CNNT suggests, but does not promise, that tasks might be completed in minutes or seconds. That's not even a ruling, it's just what the book says!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm imagining someone Tom Bombadil'ing up at some grapes and it's actually amazing, I've changed my mind.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I am not wrong that CNNT suggests, but does not promise, that tasks might be completed in minutes or seconds. That's not even a ruling, it's just what the book says!

This way lies "you can't use any of your Sail Charms with an airship because they all mention water".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Roadie posted:

This way lies "you can't use any of your Sail Charms with an airship because they all mention water".

No, that is not at all similar reasoning. I suppose someone might get there if they also believed that CNNT was only usable for... okay, I don't have the book or a .pdf here so I can't actually check and see if the Charm mentions any specific example, but pretend it does ("for instance, the Solar might carve a statue with her bare hands") and I suggested that you could therefore only use CNNT for stonecarving.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

No, that is not at all similar reasoning. I suppose someone might get there if they also believed that CNNT was only usable for... okay, I don't have the book or a .pdf here so I can't actually check and see if the Charm mentions any specific example, but pretend it does ("for instance, the Solar might carve a statue with her bare hands") and I suggested that you could therefore only use CNNT for stonecarving.

My point is that a bunch of the Charm rules only actually work if you assume a reading that doesn't punish the player for the sins of the writer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Roadie posted:

My point is that a bunch of the Charm rules only actually work if you assume a reading that doesn't punish the player for the sins of the writer.
Despite the flavor text composed by Slit the War Boy and his sidekick Hamster Lad, it seems that the intention of the Charm is to let you execute otherwise-conventional crafting activities at blinding (if not necessarily zero) speed with no tools (hence the name). Does it actually give you some estimate on the time factor at all?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Roadie posted:

It's not a sin of the writer, or a punishment of the player, that CMMT doesn't automatically and completely shrink every single physical task not involving orichalcum to a timespan of thirty seconds.

Well, maybe it's a sin of the writer, but only in the sense that CMMT used to divide the time to complete a task by an integer derived from your Essence, but probably no one wants to figure out exactly how many hours shoeing a horse is supposed to take so they figured it was safe to just turn the whole rule into an "ask your DM". And, honestly, I think that was a reasonable call.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It doesn't guarantee minutes or seconds, but I don't think its outrageous that someone reading that charm and wanting to go from grape to wine with whatever flair they want, be it singing to it or squeezing it real hard with their big meat hands (both are good and badass actually) would expect it to take minutes or even seconds. Going from seed to wine is a bit more involved, obviously. But grape > grape juice > fermented juice seems pretty small time.

Carving perfect cuts of meat from an animal with your karate chops and then cooking it by punching it or holding it between your palms in prayer or using the power of the unbroken sun that courses through you to grill it perfectly on your splayed fingers or placing it on your daiklave like a George Foreman or blowing on it gently as if to cool it off but instead where your breath touches it it becomes cooked all sound like pretty reasonable ways to use Needs No Tools to cook a thing.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

Carving perfect cuts of meat from an animal with your karate chops and then cooking it by punching it or holding it between your palms in prayer or using the power of the unbroken sun that courses through you to grill it perfectly on your splayed fingers or placing it on your daiklave like a George Foreman or blowing on it gently as if to cool it off but instead where your breath touches it it becomes cooked all sound like pretty reasonable ways to use Needs No Tools to cook a thing.

I briefly misread part of that as "placing it on your forehead" and was laughing at somebody cooking meat with their caste mark.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That's good too! The various marks represent different heats, like the icons on an oven.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Well, maybe it's a sin of the writer, but only in the sense that CMMT used to divide the time to complete a task by an integer derived from your Essence, but probably no one wants to figure out exactly how many hours shoeing a horse is supposed to take so they figured it was safe to just turn the whole rule into an "ask your DM". And, honestly, I think that was a reasonable call.

It's not really good design to have a Charm that affects something the game doesn't have any mechanics for actually handling.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

It's not really good design to have a Charm that affects something the game doesn't have any mechanics for actually handling.

I think it's fine. There are lots of Charms that affect things that aren't really mechanics. For instance, there's no rule that says how long a page-long letter takes to write. But Whirling Brush Method means that it takes seconds. Does that mean the game needs a rule to say how long a letter takes to write? Not really. It takes the amount of time you'd expect it to, unless you use that Charm, in which case it takes seconds.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

LatwPIAT posted:

I feel like this is more to the lack of a Storyteller section with guidance on how to actually run the game. I just intuited it as a ST fiat thing and just hammer out via negotiation with the players. We keep a record of these so we can avoid contradiction and have now gotten to a place where everyone agrees on it's general power against narrative scope. Worth mentioning that the rewrite handles this better and what it does is shift the time scale by one or two (phone posting so don't remember specifically which). 2 years of work becomes 2 months, 2 months goes to 2 weeks and so on.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, after my last custom fight got eliminated by the Dawn in a single action, I wrote up a new one and tried it out. This time I managed to bisect at least one player and will have to decide next week that it was all a dream.

Primary reaction: none of the funky powers I made up are as terrifying as target number reduction.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, after my last custom fight got eliminated by the Dawn in a single action, I wrote up a new one and tried it out. This time I managed to bisect at least one player and will have to decide next week that it was all a dream.

Primary reaction: none of the funky powers I made up are as terrifying as target number reduction.

target number reduction for 1 mote is R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S.

then you add in the +4 dice for a light withering

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Roadie posted:

Related to this, we are in the last few battles of our EX3 campaign that my friends and I started when the beta PDFs were still the only thing we had to read, and it's only due to Armory of the Chosen my ST and I realized that when the brawl tree counts 'bare-handed' it probably doesn't mean to disallow Smashfists. :downs:

That sure was something I could have used earlier!

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Monathin posted:

Related to this, we are in the last few battles of our EX3 campaign that my friends and I started when the beta PDFs were still the only thing we had to read, and it's only due to Armory of the Chosen my ST and I realized that when the brawl tree counts 'bare-handed' it probably doesn't mean to disallow Smashfists. :downs:

That sure was something I could have used earlier!

No, it does. Just like the fists of a warstrider don't count, and there was an error that the Heaven and Earth Gauntlets don't have a specific exception to the rule, which is going to be added before POD is available.

There's Dev commentary supporting this, but it'll be difficult to find until someone decides to be the new host for the dev tracker, Nishkriya.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

slut chan posted:

No, it does. Just like the fists of a warstrider don't count, and there was an error that the Heaven and Earth Gauntlets don't have a specific exception to the rule, which is going to be added before POD is available.

There's Dev commentary supporting this, but it'll be difficult to find until someone decides to be the new host for the dev tracker, Nishkriya.

That's... weird? I mean the reason why it made sense to me is because that means a huge swath of the actual 'brawling' Brawl Charms (as opposed to the 'grapple' Combat Charms) are weirdly unusable while wearing Smashfists.

I guess they don't actually want you to stack Smashfists + Adamantine/Orichalcum Fists is probably the reason, but it's still odd to me.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Monathin posted:

That's... weird? I mean the reason why it made sense to me is because that means a huge swath of the actual 'brawling' Brawl Charms (as opposed to the 'grapple' Combat Charms) are weirdly unusable while wearing Smashfists.

I guess they don't actually want you to stack Smashfists + Adamantine/Orichalcum Fists is probably the reason, but it's still odd to me.

You only lose Fist of Iron, Adamantine, and Orichalcum. Which were really only there to compensate for not having artifact level damage, arguably.

Note that the 3 dot artifact I mentioned in Arms circumvents this restriction for Adamant and Ori, just not Iron. Kinda sucks because it's the most efficient soak reducer in the game, but that also kinda makes sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

It's a shame this system is so invested into the giant stacks of Charms model, because some kind of a situation where you powered up by developing and improving "styles," which you accumulate and expand as you go along, seems way more suited for Exalted's fiction than dicking over which form of Brawl is Brawl and which form is Martial Arts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Pool-wide target number reduction is insane and should be rationed out on a context-dependent, charm-by-charm basis the same way double eights or whatever appears in the Solar charmset.

If it’s gonna appear in an Excellency, TN reduction should happen on a per die basis. As in, you set aside (some number) dice from your pool and only they get TN4, or you buy ten total “points” of TN reduction and have to allocate them to individual dice post-roll. So you could make a roll of 3, 3, 5 all succeed but not 1, 4, 5.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

slut chan posted:

We are currently talking to someone interested in re-hosting it.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

We are currently talking to someone interested in re-hosting it.

Awesome! I hope you didn't take my remarks as derision or anything.

I was also looking into possibly doing it myself. Currently assessing what my cheapest option is on azure.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

So, I made a 13th Age-style bestiary entry for martial artists, trying to make them as customizable as possible and to let people know how dangerous they're supposed to be. I'll leave it to the ruthless crunch-heads in this thread to tell me if it works as well as it was supposed to!

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

This is very cool, and should be useful- do you mind if I make a copy of my own to file away for later?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is very cool, and should be useful- do you mind if I make a copy of my own to file away for later?

Not at all, that's what it's for.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I've been out of the Exalted loop for a while, anything cool happen recently? I'm planning on running a game for some friends of mine who've played only once with a jerk, and I want to show them this world from a mortal perspective first (just to cut down on the number of rules they have to know).

Should I start them off with 2e, or jump straight to 3?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

I've been out of the Exalted loop for a while, anything cool happen recently? I'm planning on running a game for some friends of mine who've played only once with a jerk, and I want to show them this world from a mortal perspective first (just to cut down on the number of rules they have to know).

Should I start them off with 2e, or jump straight to 3?

Arms of the Chosen came out and is good, albeit also largely useless if you're playing a mortals game.

Also, you should definitely use 3e and not 2e under any circumstances. Whatever its faults, it's easily better than the second edition.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I also just discovered Godbound, any experience with that? Does it still "feel" like Exalted?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

TwoQuestions posted:

I also just discovered Godbound, any experience with that? Does it still "feel" like Exalted?

...gonna have to go with "no," here, because I've always found its use as an Exalted substitute baffling (they don't have remotely similar goals on the mechanical level), but I know a lot of people disagree on this one.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
A whole new edition may seem daunting at first, but 3e is really worth it. I just went back and reread some 2e stuff recently (rules too, not just dubious fluff) and I'm not sure how I ever played it. ESPECIALLY if you are going to start with mortals. Not even just for combat; the social influence system is a real treat. Sorcery is also a highlight, although it can benefit from a discerning ST, as there is some freeform magic that could have really benefited from more examples to firm up the boundaries of its power. Craft is... divisive to be polite.

Friendliest tips I can give for grocking combat. If someone feels like they can't suspend disbelief because they have to build up initiative before they can kill someone, remember that it's supposed to abstract cinematic combat, where you exchange a few blows to earn the narrative right to kill of a villain. There are rules to skip this for mooks, and it should be used accordingly. Also, think of range bands as zones from games like Fate, which helps me keep track of things better. Their scaling nature doesn't usually come into play in my experience.

If you don't already have the rulebook, there is a quick start with truncated rules and some pregen pcs. If you just take away their charms they're basically mortal pcs with a few extra dots.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TwoQuestions posted:

It depends what part of Exalted you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Aside from thematic things, Godbound has a huge rocket tag problem with the way the mechanics work out.