Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
For some reason Harley Berry shows up a lot later in that article as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

This. If your first reaction to "a bunch of people are sexmonsters" is "well not all sexmonsters are created equal," you're at best condoning lesser sex crimes and at worst terrified that you're going to be found out for grabbing rear end or covering up for your best friend's rapist brother and his buddy Joaquin.

If you don't believe that a guy jerking off in front of consenting adults is the same as actual rapists you are probably a rapist or covering for one.

Okay.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Thanks to the 372 Pages podcast I discovered TJ Miller has a role in the RPO movie

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AceOfFlames posted:

The effects industry was pretty hardcore back then.

And by “hardcore” I really mean “suicidal”.

Back then? Careless effects work is what killed Brandon Lee, stunt workers were killed on the sets of both Deadpool 2 and John Wick 2, a camera assistant was killed on the set of that Gregg Allman biopic because the production failed to secure permission to shoot on the railroad...

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Timby posted:

Back then? Careless effects work is what killed Brandon Lee, stunt workers were killed on the sets of both Deadpool 2 and John Wick 2, a camera assistant was killed on the set of that Gregg Allman biopic because the production failed to secure permission to shoot on the railroad...

That's still an improvement over the "good old days" of "Well, squibs weren't invented yet so we'll just shoot REAL bullets AROUND the actors. Just remember to hit your marks, people! It's REALLY important this time!"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Timby posted:

Don't forget Mark Hamill dearly died during the shooting of the new Star Wars movies because they filmed a bunch of scenes on some insanely remote and dangerous island.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

a camera assistant was killed on the set of that Gregg Allman biopic because the production failed to secure permission to shoot on the railroad...

This is still the most hosed up thing.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Evening Shade seems considerably more hardcore now that I know that Burt Reynolds was set on loving fire while filming an episode.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
For all we complain about the death of practical effects in modern movie making, I can't help but think poo poo like this is at least part of why so much stuff is done on greenscreen now. Probably a lot safer and cheaper for everyone involved.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Sure until a greenscreen falls on some poor grip and kills them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

2018- "A wardrobe assistant to mr Whalburg was decapitated after a 10foot cardboard optimus prime head fell off a pole during production."

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

2018- "A wardrobe assistant to mr Whalburg was decapitated after a 10foot cardboard optimus prime head fell off a pole during production."

The giant Freddy puppet for Nightmare 4 (maybe 5?) toppled over and landed on someone.

They were fine but who knows how much that thing must have weighed.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

banned from Starbucks posted:

Didn’t Michael Bay nearly get killed due to one of his explosions propelling a pole at high speeds inches from his head? I think it was on the set of The Island.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AceOfFlames posted:

Didn’t Michael Bay nearly get killed due to one of his explosions propelling a pole at high speeds inches from his head? I think it was on the set of The Island.

:allears:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

If we go into Hollywood myth&rumors, then, in Trader Horn, a 1931 MGM film whose achievement is spreading the myth of the elephants graveyard to the whole world, many of the crew, including the director, contracted malaria. An African crewman fell into a river and was eaten by a crocodile. There is a scene where the main actor cross a river swinging on a rope. The crocs trying to grab his legs on screen and to eat him? They were real. A second African crewman was killed by a charging rhino. The rhino was captured on film and the scene was used in the final form of the film. Swarms of insects, including locusts and the-tse flies, were common and female lead Edwina Booth became infected, probably with malaria or schistosomiasis, during filming. It took six years for her to fully recover from this and other conditions she endured. She retired from acting soon after and sued Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. The case was settled out of court and it was one of the first big trial against a studio in Hollywood. The sound crew, sent halfway through filming, were unable to produce good quality work. This resulted in most of the dialogue sequences being reshot at MGM's studio in Culver City, California. This caused rumours that the entire production had been filmed there, so most of this footage was cut from the final release. Also the lions were reportedly starved to encourage vicious attacks on hyenas, monkeys and deer, all filmed of course. The lions attacks were filmed in Mexico to dodge american anti-animal-cruelty laws. :hollywood: Trader Horn was a success, made 1 million dollars (1931) and secured an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxXM8M0vro8

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 25, 2017

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
On a smaller scale, Audrey Hepburn contracted a permanent eye infection on the set of Summertime when David Lean made her do multiple takes of a scene when she falls in one of Venice's canals. Venice's notoriously sewage-filled canals. "Hey, I poured a barrel of foaming disinfectant in there, what more do you want?"

Hmm. Hepburn didn't want to do the scene at all, wanting to use a stunt double, but Lean insisted. Would he have done the same if a male lead had told him to gently caress off and jump into the Venetian poo poo himself?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.agonybooth.com/the-island-2005-part-3-3351

quote:

Michael Bay claims that during filming of the freeway chase, “I almost lost my life”. There was a pole attached to one of the jet bike props, and apparently this pole flew past his head at 40 MPH. He describes how this same pole destroyed a $600,000 camera, and there’s actually footage of the camera getting smashed in the “making of” featurette, so I have a feeling he’s not kidding.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Don't forget Mark Hamill dearly died during the shooting of the new Star Wars movies because they filmed a bunch of scenes on some insanely remote and dangerous island.

I hadn't heard this story so I just looked it up, and it doesn't appear to be true. Hamill himself debunks it in a tweet in 2015.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think the quintessential unsafe set story is the Vic Morrow helicopter incident.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone_accident

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

am0kgonzo posted:

If you don't believe that a guy jerking off in front of consenting adults is the same as actual rapists you are probably a rapist or covering for one.

Okay.
This is the hill you want to die on?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

dont even fink about it posted:

I think the quintessential unsafe set story is the Vic Morrow helicopter incident.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_Zone_accident

That's how this whole side-track got started. Talking about Max Landis and his dad John.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Saw All the Money in the World. It was really good. Plummer is in it a lot more than it originally sounded like. As in you'll be amazed they managed to do that much in 10 days. Even if Spacey hadn't turned out to be a monster Plummer was always a better choice.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Casimir Radon posted:

Saw All the Money in the World. It was really good. Plummer is in it a lot more than it originally sounded like. As in you'll be amazed they managed to do that much in 10 days. Even if Spacey hadn't turned out to be a monster Plummer was always a better choice.

Not to derail but he was amazing in The Insider as Mike Wallace

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Michael Curtiz. Three extras drowned and dozens injured during the filming of a flood scene. Curtiz also directed The Charge of the Light Brigade, which had a couple hundred horses die during the making.

Anyone mention Roar yet? Melanie Griffith got mauled on set and needed massive surgery, and a bunch of other people on set suffered similar experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cny_D50Rr44

Also, does Mark Hamill get a pass for only attempting to force a woman into getting his (40 year old) son's abortion, instead of actually succeeding in it?

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/star-wars-mark-hamill-nathan-hamill-abortion-coercion

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 26, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hockles posted:

That's how this whole side-track got started. Talking about Max Landis and his dad John.

That's what I get for viewing on mobile while on Christmas vacation.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

"...But... but it's a dry heat!!"

-Anyone who hasn't been to Arizona in the summer.

This city should not exist. It's a monument to man's arrogance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

"...But... but it's a dry heat!!"

-Anyone who hasn't been to Arizona in the summer.

As an Australian who's repeatedly vacationed in Alice Springs and beyond, I laugh.

Really though, the heat is actually quite tolerable until it starts to get humid. Then you need a fan if you're going to be sleeping in a tent.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Are there any actual accusations against Max Landis or just a handful of Twitter posts calling him names?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

Also, does Mark Hamill get a pass for only attempting to force a woman into getting his (40 year old) son's abortion, instead of actually succeeding in it?

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/star-wars-mark-hamill-nathan-hamill-abortion-coercion

He probably gets a pass because the emails were coming from his wife, not directly from him. If people were reading those same words but imagining that Mark Hamill himself wrote them, it's probably get more attention. Still a hosed up situation though.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

bad day posted:

Are there any actual accusations against Max Landis or just a handful of Twitter posts calling him names?

Here’s a good rule of thumb: If the accusation is against a liberal, then it is fake. And if it is against a republican, then it is Real.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Here’s a good rule of thumb: If the accusation is against a liberal, then it is fake. And if it is against a republican, then it is Real.

What are you talking about? Multiple prominent liberals have resigned from positions and been thrown out of industries recently because of accusations.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Liberals have a much easier time getting away with it because of in-group bias. Ya'll hate republicans so theres no reason for you to believe theyre innocent.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Liberals have a much easier time getting away with it because of in-group bias. Ya'll hate republicans so theres no reason for you to believe theyre innocent.

Which liberals are getting away with it again? Do you have anything at all to back up what you're saying?

And which republicans are the innocent ones? Roy Moore?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I HAVE GOUT posted:

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Source your quotes please.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Yes that well known Republican Al Franken.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Duder, the guy who single-handidly kicked off this cultural moment of awareness was Harvey Weinstein, one of the largest liberal money donars of the past twenty years, and there's nothing left of him but a radioactive smudge mark in terms of public opinion.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fart City posted:

Duder, the guy who single-handidly kicked off this cultural moment of awareness was Harvey Weinstein, one of the largest liberal money donars of the past twenty years, and there's nothing left of him but a radioactive smudge mark in terms of public opinion.

See also Kevin spacey

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

I HAVE GOUT posted:

No I just mean literally every story about this is just reporting on a handful of vague twitter posts calling him names. I’ve not seen any specific accusations whatsoever. If I’m supposed to jump on the bandwagon and publicly shame someone I’d at least like to know what they’re accused and implicitly guilty of doing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

No I just mean literally every story about this is just reporting on a handful of vague twitter posts calling him names. I’ve not seen any specific accusations whatsoever. If I’m supposed to jump on the bandwagon and publicly shame someone I’d at least like to know what they’re accused and implicitly guilty of doing.

In this case it's a guy who's entire lifestyle has been made possible by negligent homicide so there's very little sympathy or desire to presume innocence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

In this case it's a guy who's entire lifestyle has been made possible by negligent homicide so there's very little sympathy or desire to presume innocence.

That could describe everyone living in a first world country