Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Monstervse's naturalistic take means Jet Jaguar is going to be the weirdest reimagiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If only Joe Brody were still alive, he could henshin into Jet Jaguar.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
He's already Godzilla, Ford Brody can be Jet Jaguar.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Gojira is explicitly the name of a (fictional) minor kami specific to Odo Island. The Shinto ceremony shown in the film is fairly legit - it features offerings of food and sake to Gojira, and a satokagura performed by dancers in tengu masks to chase away the 'impurities' thought to have provoked the attack.

Even the stuff about human sacrifice as part of a Shinto ritual is plausible, although based more on popular imagination and noh plays. See, for example, Ikeniye (which can be translated as either The Pool Sacrifice or The Living Sacrifice), a short play from the 1500s about a village that makes annual sacrifices to its local dragon-god by placing a randomly-selected person on a boat and setting it adrift.

The point of the film is not that Gojira actually is this kami, however, but that the scientists took the name from the villagers, who took it from nebulous 'earlier' traditions. (And the Americans 'mistranslate' it even further.) The name in-and-of itself apparently just means "the spirit that's eating all our fish". That spirit wasn't this physical dinosaur; Godzilla was asleep at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Monstervse's naturalistic take means Jet Jaguar is going to be the weirdest reimagiming.

And/or Mechagodzilla. Might take a leaf out of the animated series (the good one) and have it be built around a cyborgified/genetically regrown corpse, probably the one where the MUTO eggs were discovered. (which is also pretty NGE)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Gojira is explicitly the name of a (fictional) minor kami specific to Odo Island. The Shinto ceremony shown in the film is fairly legit - it features offerings of food and sake to Gojira, and a satokagura performed by dancers in tengu masks to chase away the 'impurities' thought to have provoked the attack.

Even the stuff about human sacrifice as part of a Shinto ritual is plausible, although based more on popular imagination and noh plays. See, for example, Ikeniye (which can be translated as either The Pool Sacrifice or The Living Sacrifice), a short play from the 1500s about a village that makes annual sacrifices to its local dragon-god by placing a randomly-selected person on a boat and setting it adrift.

The point of the film is not that Gojira actually is this kami, however, but that the scientists took the name from the villagers, who took it from nebulous 'earlier' traditions. (And the Americans 'mistranslate' it even further.) The name in-and-of itself apparently just means "the spirit that's eating all our fish". That spirit wasn't this physical dinosaur; Godzilla was asleep at the time.

In other words, Magma Turtle's real name is Bowser

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's what happens in Godzilla X Mechagodzilla (2002). They build MechaG around the skeleton of the original Godzilla from the 1954 film, only for it to become possessed. So yes, you have Ghost Robot Godzilla.

Unfortunately the movie is pretty meh.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It, 生贄/ikenie, can also apparently mean scapegoat.

I had an epiphany that Chrono Trigger is a Kaiju narrative thanks to you though.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 1, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

nvm

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Corrosion posted:

It, 生贄/ikenie, can also apparently mean scapegoat.

I had an epiphany that Chrono Trigger is a Kaiju narrative thanks to you though.

I never thougt of Lavos as a Kaiju. In fact, he's closer to The Center, a sentient ancient alien island from DC: The New Frontier. They both even feature psychadellic scenes when someone goes inside.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never thougt of Lavos as a Kaiju. In fact, he's closer to The Center, a sentient ancient alien island from DC: The New Frontier. They both even feature psychadellic scenes when someone goes inside.

Another derail from me, but I think it has more formal qualities in common with Kaiju. Its characteristic attack invokes the remnant anxieties of the Cold War, the remaining ICBMs. Its signature roar is similar to Godzilla's. When I was describing how funny it would be to see someone rationalize the external naming rationale of Gojira, I realized that very scene exists in Chrono Trigger when Ayla communicates to the party, "Ayla's word! "La" mean fire. "Vos" mean big." I think the hallucination part is fitting because it's really not as good as Godzilla in terms of the logical extension of what it does, the size it exhibits... the scenario is interesting but I just feel like it was only worth locating because seeing the word 生贄 reminded me of the less good 生贄と雪のセツナ, which was a spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger.

There's a Wizard of Oz/Charlie and the Chocolate Factory style hallucination in the core battle, which I think is actually fitting to how Lavos is kind of a sham Kaiju. I'm still stewing on whether there's a sort of Anti-Christ/Anti-Semetic quality to it all. But Lavos isn't an island, Lavos burrows and is the basis of certain religious imagery/cultural eras. Suggesting it's similar to a landmass is kind of missing the point, as that similarity is really superficial in face of all the other formal stuff. Though the times when Lavos is more of a Chronotope similar to something geographical can be pretty cool. Specifically "Death Peak."

The whole time travel conceit is more like going through therapy so it's kind of a waste in ways.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, it's not as superficial as I had originally thought. New Frontier isn't a time travel story. The Center is DC's The Island That Time Forgot. Basically if Skull Island was the monster in itself. now that I think of it. The Center is a secret to the world, so it doesn't have a cultural footprint the way Lavos does. But through the story it does make it's precense known. Batman's investigation leads him to find the last manuscript of a Dr. Suess-like author about The Center. He was receiving psychic transmissions about The Center which made him go mad. I think the implication was that creative types we're susceptible to The Center's psychic transmissions too. It's been a while since I read the book so I don't remember The Center's exact endgame.

But what lead me to make the comparison was that they both had hallucination core fights, and that both entities were parasites feeding off of the Earth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are we going to get into Batman Odyssey? I hope so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ain't touching that one.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

In other words, Magma Turtle's real name is Bowser

Bowsura

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's Koopa, please

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

It's Koopa, please

It’s actually Big Evil King. Da mo wang coming at ya (I can’t read Japanese so I only know those characters in Mandarin)

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just wanted to pop in to say how wonderfully apeshit crazy Final Wars is. I don't know if I'm watching a Kaiju film or a Matrix sequel half the time, and it's glorious.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That movie makes me wanna chant "EDF! EDF!" the entire time.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My literal only complaint with Final Wars is that the fight sequences are mostly wayy too short. Everything else is amazing.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

I literally do not understand what people love about Final Wars. It just seems like ultra-cynical stupidity by and for people who can only appreciate classic Godzilla through the lens of "so bad it's good lol".

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Zartosht posted:

I literally do not understand what people love about Final Wars. It just seems like ultra-cynical stupidity by and for people who can only appreciate classic Godzilla through the lens of "so bad it's good lol".

Same. I've hated Final Wars from the first time I saw it and it has never grown on me even slightly. It's like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero except worse and dumber in every way (and they already did that once with Destroy All Monsters!).

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sometimes i open up a bunch of threads in different tabs and I don't pay close enough attention. I kept thinking this was the MST3K thread because I was reading it as Future War.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HannibalBarca posted:

Same. I've hated Final Wars from the first time I saw it and it has never grown on me even slightly. It's like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero except worse and dumber in every way (and they already did that once with Destroy All Monsters!).

Monster Zero owns.

Final Wars is a'ight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Sometimes i open up a bunch of threads in different tabs and I don't pay close enough attention. I kept thinking this was the MST3K thread because I was reading it as Future War.

We need more Godzilla MST3K episodes

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
They need to be available through the means by which I watch MST, a website called YouTube

Starz has a nice chunk of Criterion branded Godzilla now. It's good to see, that logo, yeah

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally got round to watching Shin Godzilla and holy gently caress that was good. I'd only seen The Bad One and the recent one up to now but drat, that was some amazing stuff.

I liked that it started off kind of silly until the googly eyes came off. All those departments and ministers and meeting rooms.

Also that was the Evangelion music popping up every so often, the drum sort of thing?
E: oh, directed by Hideaki Anno, that explains that I guess
E2: oh, and IMDB just comes out and says it. That's a great bit of music and I've liked it forever

Also also the proper Godzilla roar,that rules

Hell of a thing to have hanging around your city though, big loving frozen skeleton dinosaur thing that might wake up one day and be pissed off

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If you want to see another trippy Japanese one, go watch The Smog Monster.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/941713031746109440

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I

I really want that

I don't even know what it looks like but

I'll take that right now please

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A different trailer for the Planet of the Monsters anime

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/godzilla-displays-new-powers-planet-the-monsters-special-preview

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of shin godzilla was the whole movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Size comparison art is always fun!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I think the one in the back might be taking growth hormones, idk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The 50m crew on the left can take on the one big one.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
Sorry bigass post incoming. I've watched this movie like at least four times in the past two days. Basically,

Phi230 posted:

My favorite part of shin godzilla was the whole movie
I was finally able to see this subbed after watching the dub version a couple months back, and man it's so much better, even more gloriously Anno and on subsequent rewatches I'm picking up on more and more; as expected of the master, Mr. Anno. (ahaha that singular red paper crane, "Lift your head for one more battle, then your spirit may be free"--because your helicopter will explode, etc). Although embarrassing as it is to admit, it was difficult to recognize Famously without Michael George during that part. ...And honestly I got more of a Kindred Spirits feel, maybe because I so closely associate the two, or more likely because on close re-listen Who Will Know immediately before does similar leaps to Kindred Spirits.
Regardless, perhaps it means Godzilla just needed a Kaworu. Who would it be, Kaiju experts? haha ok no :suicide:

Also, I had no idea the 'coolant' idea has been done before! I'd watched my fair share of the old Godzilla movies my town's Blockbusters had when I was a kid, but I never saw/remembered those one(s). I honestly thought it was a nod to Sandalphon's handling for a generally-Ramiel Gojira.

Anyway, my question about the aborted 3rd impact failed-new-eva-lifeforms tail thing at the end was pretty much answered in the thread, and whatever happened to Goro Maki is ambiguous/doesn't matter, so my one remaining question is minor, I think:

So like, what's up with the, uh, blood? First when it spills/breaks through the Aqua-Line tunnel at the start--is that Godzilla, for lack of a better term, being born? Or his 'first evolution?' (also wait if what's beneath the crane is that "do what you like" message how did it and the paper survive the eruption/explosion it's implied the coastguards and Maki's boat get caught in?) And then, the second shot of him ashore, his gill-thingies sploosh blood as he kinda shuffle-wiggles down street. Just twice. When he evolves into Upright Gojira and there's the extremely weird filter effect, there's some blood-like fluid?--or other bits, like... the red membranous tissue that seem to be at the seams of his skin and inside his mouth?--that is forced out as he unfolds his little T-Rex arms out from his body. When he evolves... does he have to bleed? Is it blood? It looks like blood, it looks like the stuff the characters call blood that pour off Godzilla after the US bomber attack, especially since it seems like those bombs penetrate godzilla's skin whereas the other bombs couldn't. ...but we don't see him continue to bleed. (That's because it like, absorbs things with its origami molecular structure right?)

...okay, remaining questions.

Because that being said, there was on retrospect a lot less gore than there could have been, mysterious blood-not-blood? of Godzilla aside. I mean, we know a ton of people died, and we basically see a family with a kid trying to escape a building babby Gojira is trying to climb die, but they're obscured by debris falling, and that's the closest we get to a 'oh poo poo those people just died terribly.' Does Toho have a limit or something to keep stuff PG or something, or has Anno really mellowed out in the 20 years since he had a 14-year-old girl esentially literally eviscerated on-screen :v: or both. Not to say Godzilla's nighttime attack isn't horrific or without allusions to the burning of Tokyo or the atomic bombing of Hiroshima; I guess I just forgot this part of the franchise?

Did Godzilla throw the blue bridge at the people, or was that an unlucky coincidence? He surely doesn't have the dexterity, but there's an odd delay between the explosions and it going flying.

And has anyone bothered trying to translate the random crap that one biologist had spread around him? It seems it could have interesting stuff.

I can see Auf der Gw_ll_ge dieser Sinul__" and "meisten Houpt unterschiede" which google is translating as "most of the differences," so it may not be all gibberish. At the least, it's cute someone apparently screwed up writing DNA in English and tried to correct themselves.

This has what looks like maybe Cyrillic or Greek in the lower right corner? And this is before all the international cooperation. Neato.

And for what it's worth, knowing this conversation has already petered out, I feel all crossovers are generally terrible on principle, but I feel the only one with Shin Godzilla could work if it was with a universe where multiple dimensions were already a known quantity, as well as mysterious indeterminable, unknown isotopes. Hope Godzilla isn't made of Maso particles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The tail in the harbor and the blood is Godzilla's first form, yeah. He's already evolved once when he's Kamata-kun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's definitely blood, it's just Shin's blood.

The main form we see, the adult form I guess, is his fourth form. He stops bleeding after he settles into his second form- his first form is unseen, and it is the thing that attacked the underground and bled everywhere.

Then he decided he wanted to go on land so he mutated into his second form and bled everywhere until that form matured enough and he adapted into a more hardy third form. Which itself led to the fourth form.

The reason why he stopped bleeding ties into a generally accepted thing with all Godzillas- they can regenerate.

How or why Godzilla regenerates is generally not gone into too much, but it's been a power of his since the 70s at least. Godzilla can be grievously wounded and then heal that injury in short order.

The effects to show it properly weren't really there until Godzilla 2000, and even there we only see Orga doing it on screen, but the idea of it has been present for most of the franchise. In theory that's what's up with Shin's wounds, he just heals faster than his body can fall apart early on, and then heals the injuries the army manages to give him near instantly.

Godzilla definitely threw the bridge. It was meant to be a "they're attacking from a distance, so I'll attack them from a distance" thing before he got his beam.

For the lack of blood, it's just a matter of scale.

With EVA, the human heroes fought the Angels up close and personal. The Angels are also much smaller (usually) than Godzilla is in this film. They're closer to classic 60s Godzilla scale.

So there's lots of chances to see the heroes be personally affected by the Angels and what they do.

With Godzilla, in this movie and elsewhere, it wouldn't really make sense. None of the humans are up close and personal with Godzilla- those that are get wiped out in an instant or vaporized.

Humans are just too small to matter to Godzilla, and showing gorey aftermath stuff would be very gratuitous.

Though, that is something that is unique to the original film if you've never seen it. We get to explicitly see the victims of Godzilla's attack and actions, through out the film. The burned bodies that washed ashore and those that survived after the city was destroyed. It's some of the strongest stuff in Gojira and entirely unique to that film and its tone.

The original Gojira remains the bleakest Godzilla film, without question. Shin has a very optimistic tone to it with heavy notes of dread. There is no optimism in Gojira. So I guess that would be the biggest reason why. Tonally it does not fit with Shin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Gojira has, not necessarily a note of hope, but a strong ethical sense for the nuclear era- Serizawa's choice is one others will have to make if we're to survive.