Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Dishonored if you're never spotted the wanted posters that go up in later missions just have a question mark as a portrait instead of your a drawing of your mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

EmmyOk posted:

In Dishonored if you're never spotted the wanted posters that go up in later missions just have a question mark as a portrait instead of your a drawing of your mask.

I believe this also happens if you kill everyone.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Got to the Ice Age in Ape Escape.

I quite liked Dexter on Dexter's Isle, he's cute and the idea to make him the level is an amusing one. Nothing groundbreaking, very Jabujabu, but with some neat visuals like the half-digested pirate ship inside him, and he's more interesting to navigate too.

I also quite like the writing, because while it's bare it does a good job of characterising the villain in the attract mode - Spectre, an average albino monkey, bored of being forced to perform in the circus he calls home. Finds the Peak Point Helmet and his intelligence explodes, and of course due to his mindset it gets tainted by bitterness and anger at how humans have treated him as mindless entertainment for years, so he uses the advanced intellect to reverse engineer the helmets to liberate his monkey minions with their own intellect while making his own helmet more potent. Even allowing the professor to fight him, rather than just sending an army of monkeys to kill him and Spike outright, makes sense. He wants someone to try to stop him, and not because he wants to be stopped. The way he put it is "I look forward to witnessing your endeavours..."

He wants to see humans try to stop him, and will likely be watching the whole thing from his lair - part of the reason for doing that is that he is doing to humans what they have done to him for years - making them perform for his own amusement. Your Lab is his circus. And the structure of the game even allows that disconnect - until you get more gadgets you aren't stopping poo poo. On the first run of each level it is impossible to clear it entirely, the goal is always 5/6 or 6/14 or something like that with at least one monkey being totally out of reach - all you can do until the late stages of the game is delay Spectre's plan because he will always end a level with at least one agent of his still there, wreaking havoc and prepping the world for monkey rule. Until you get all the gadgets you really cannot win, and Spectre knows that.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 08:21 on Dec 21, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1stGear posted:

There are no witnesses if no one is alive, after all.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lmao yeah. Accidentally opening the door and encountering your first gray in there is a trip too. The MiBs and WiBs are pretty hosed up, I love them.

I loved that you could set enemies on each other.

There was one level under Versa Life, where all the Greys were caged up in radioactive fog, which had a long corridor with a few MiBs and WiBs in it. You could go to the end of the corridor, shoot the MiBs until they got angry and quickly run back to the large room. The MiBs would chase you firing all the while and often hit the science personnel or regular guards.

If you were fast enough to find a place to hide before the MiBs entered the room, the guards would open fire on them and a huge shitshow would start. You could make things even more fun by releasing all the Greys and herding them towards the action.

Also, you could get UNATCO troops to attack the little roombas at headquarters, too. It never failed to make me happy.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

Also, you could get UNATCO troops to attack the little roombas at headquarters, too. It never failed to make me happy.
Fun with Simons.. and UNATCO
http://www.it-he.org/deus3.php

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I've been playing X-com apocalypse and even though it's frustrating i am enjoying it,my troops got called to a robot factory filled with conveyor belts and cargo boxes everywhere,it wasn't going well,my squad was all over the place and i was running out of ammo like a noob.

Threw a (pretty safe) grenade at a hyperworm and it landed a bit off target,blew up some factory robot thing,which set off another explosion and another and another,which then exploded some massive machinery which blew up EVEN more stuff,and then about three or four floors of a massive catwalk all fell down and squished the hyperworm.

It was loving chaos.

Also i'm a pychopath when it comes to incendiary bullets and highly flammable slum blocks filled with highly flammable civilians.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I've been playing X-com apocalypse and even though it's frustrating i am enjoying it,my troops got called to a robot factory filled with conveyor belts and cargo boxes everywhere,it wasn't going well,my squad was all over the place and i was running out of ammo like a noob.

Threw a (pretty safe) grenade at a hyperworm and it landed a bit off target,blew up some factory robot thing,which set off another explosion and another and another,which then exploded some massive machinery which blew up EVEN more stuff,and then about three or four floors of a massive catwalk all fell down and squished the hyperworm.

It was loving chaos.

Also i'm a pychopath when it comes to incendiary bullets and highly flammable slum blocks filled with highly flammable civilians.

I watched an LP of that game a year or two ago and really loved the weird designs of the aliens. The werid visual aesthetic was one of Apocalypse's strongest points.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Glukeose posted:

I watched an LP of that game a year or two ago and really loved the weird designs of the aliens. The werid visual aesthetic was one of Apocalypse's strongest points.

Yeah the city style is making me think of Robocop Detroit for sure,and headcrabs were totally ripped off of Brainsuckers.

my other favourite thing is seeing the little vehicles driving round and delivering your supplies when you order them,you just wouldn't get that nowadays.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Fairly far into Ape Escape now, at the recent past. Some of the gadgets are really satisfying to use, especially because I found a few tricks, like with the collapsing ice bridge at the top of the final Ice Age level, which I figured out how to bypass because I had trouble timing it. Propeller to the waterfall next to it, keep propping as soon as you get washed off the edge to get back on again, then when next to the other shore, one more jump and propeller got me to the hot spring. Also I like how the game sells the monkeys actually all being super-intelligent and not just Spectre, they just aren't on his level:

First of all, you see Spectre in the attract mode finding the Peak-Point helmet for the first time, and donning it - it looks just like all the others, a bicycle helmet with a flashing light on top. However, next time you see him, he is wearing something else - a steel thong that is seperating his hair into anime hair. He mentions in that scene that he's going to improve the helmet, but by that point he already has - the thong is Helmet 2.0, granting Spectre the ability to speak english and control the minds of humans.

Secondly, all the monkeys in the game are wearing helmet 1.0, which, given Spectre's usage of it, grants increased capacity for general knowledge and advanced scientific capacity/tool use. The non-Spectre monkeys don't use their intellect to make themselves smarter though, because they have a job to do - all the levels have weirdly advanced tech for the time period - watchtowers in the Prehistoric era, energy bridges and floating platforms in the Mysterious Era, UFOs everywhere - it can be inferred that these anachronisms were built by the monkeys themselves, although the ruins in the Mysterious age obviously were there from the start, the monkeys just modded them a bit. Some of them patrol key areas, some of them are relaxing in makeshift bunkers or campsites, and some of them are even researching the ruins themselves. A few of them are just playing, but most of them are surprisingly organised despite their few numbers.

It's really neat visual storytelling, in a somewhat bare-bones plot.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I've started playing Mages of Mystralia and its core concept, building spells out of linked blocks of modifiers and actions on a hex grid that you then use in a top-down isometric-y action-rpg thing, is extraordinarily well executed. All of the spells start off feeling a little bit crap (the projectile spell doesn't move, the AOE spell produces a single patch of ice, etc) but that's clearly there so that you get an understanding of how even 'default' effects like "moves" and "causes its elemental effect" can be unnecessary if you're looking to make something specific. Getting access to the rune that lets you chain one spell into another on impact- so, in the default case, activating a melee-range explosive effect when a ranged projectile attack spell lands - is such a dramatic increase in player power that I'm very excited about exactly where the gently caress this is going from here.

Plus it's a family-friendly action-RPG with a decidedly cute aesthetic and I adore that poo poo.

E: Also the combat is balls hard on the harder difficulty setting, which I love because it means that I actually need to optimise my spells and make sure I'm using the right elemental and environmental tricks for the right enemies.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mystralia is so good.
I made a spell that shot three homing fireballs that split into more homing fireballs and cover the screen in death.
The only limit is how each effect consumes mana. Good design decision otherwise you could break the game in half like Morrowind.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

1stGear posted:

That's neat! It fails in one or two points due to the Boyle Manor mission as Sokolov mentions "you already have a mask don't you" despite the fact that you can capture him without ever being spotted. I suppose you could handwave that one but it is kind of lame. Guests at the party will comment that your mask is the same as "the masked villain" though and just assume you're being an absolute buachaill.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The sound design in The Long Dark is pretty great. I love warming up indoors during a Blizzard as your fire crackles in the background. You can hear the wind howling angrily as you cook/sew/read in peace.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I know I don't have an example, but since this thread seems to deal in obscure games lately I figured I'd ask. I remember reading in a gaming magazine about I want to say a DS rpg, where the gimmick was that you had a magic book that contained traits from all of creation. You could rearrange traits from monsters and I think locations to solve puzzles and help get past tricky combats. Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Avalon Code.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Mega Man 3: Top Spin is one of the best long-form, utterly wordless jokes I've ever seen. It is borderline useless, niche in utility and doesn't even do much damage to things it's weak against, to a level that the developers had to be abundantly aware of how pointless it was. Inevitably, any time you whip out Top Spin is going to be a disappointment, either utterly pointless or actively putting you in a worse position.

Yet it one-shots the final boss.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Just had a 45 minute League of Legends aram where I was Cho'gath, who's entire gimmick is that he gets larger and beefier the more things he eats without an upper limit. I had almost 10000 health by the end of the game and could literally oneshot any squishy target with my Feast (which does damage based on max health) but the enemy Maokai kept on healing for around 20% of his (comparable) lifebar. That was fun. Lost, but great one to end on. The last 40 seconds or so were literally my void beast and a giant angry tree punching ineffectually at each other.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Galick posted:

Just had a 45 minute League of Legends aram where I was Cho'gath, who's entire gimmick is that he gets larger and beefier the more things he eats without an upper limit. I had almost 10000 health by the end of the game and could literally oneshot any squishy target with my Feast (which does damage based on max health) but the enemy Maokai kept on healing for around 20% of his (comparable) lifebar. That was fun. Lost, but great one to end on. The last 40 seconds or so were literally my void beast and a giant angry tree punching ineffectually at each other.

The insane mismash of character designs and concepts in Mobas is always hilarious to me. In dota you can have a fight between a load of demons, a literal god, not one but two ghosts from before the universe, and.....a dude who rides a bat. Just a normal, somewhat large bat.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The insane mismash of character designs and concepts in Mobas is always hilarious to me. In dota you can have a fight between a load of demons, a literal god, not one but two ghosts from before the universe, and.....a dude who rides a bat. Just a normal, somewhat large bat.

Dota's the best for it, partly because they clearly had a ton of fun with these wildly disparate backstories, but also because they've got enough mechanical flexibility that you can really feel that these heroes are totally different types of people. League has the former, and Heroes of the Storm has the latter, but Dota's got both and it's great.

My favorites are Tusk and Bristleback. You've got all these mages, legendary knights, gods, demons and angels, several straight-up technological marvels (that admittedly aren't always used by the best people for the job)... and then there's a bar brawler and a bouncer who are just there because poo poo's going DOWN over here and the taverns are slow right now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

Mega Man 3: Top Spin is one of the best long-form, utterly wordless jokes I've ever seen. It is borderline useless, niche in utility and doesn't even do much damage to things it's weak against, to a level that the developers had to be abundantly aware of how pointless it was. Inevitably, any time you whip out Top Spin is going to be a disappointment, either utterly pointless or actively putting you in a worse position.

Yet it one-shots the final boss.

IIRC, there's actually a handful of enemies that instantly die to Top Spin.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beaten Trick Castle in Ape Escape. I did not expect things to go south in such a spectacular fashion although I had guessed that it wasn't really the final level. I certainly wasn't expecting things to get so... active though given how plot-light the game was until then. Now I have physically been in the same room as Spectre it seems his plan has kicked into overdrive with an all out assault on the present including the Lab. Also the castle really did a good job feeling climactic - the objective is simple - Catch Spectre. Only one icon on the status screen. But there are 20 other monkeys guarding the varying puzzles that you need to solve in this behemoth of a level just to reach him. I'm hoping his Factory in the modern day is as impressively intricate, as it seems to be getting more plot-based as the timeline ticks onwards and as Spectre inevitably starts to get cornered.

Also, interesting that Spectre asked Buzz "Is your plan ready?" and not "my plan" - could a twist be in the making with Buzz stealing the helmet for Spectre in the first place? I guess I'll find out.

Also I like that while the levels have enemies, they are barely a threat - the Monkeys are what really kick your rear end. It's not often that the main collectible is itself the strongest foe. Normally you fight your way to the collectibles and they are relatively motionless.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:17 on Dec 23, 2017

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

So at the end of the second Breath of the Wild DLC you get a loving dirtbike. It is exactly as rad as it sounds.

You can do donuts in the Great Deku Tree's head. Or whatever the bike equivalent is. Among other things. Basically Link can be a dick all over Hyrule, even more than he could before.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

McDragon posted:

So at the end of the second Breath of the Wild DLC you get a loving dirtbike. It is exactly as rad as it sounds.

You can do donuts in the Great Deku Tree's head. Or whatever the bike equivalent is. Among other things. Basically Link can be a dick all over Hyrule, even more than he could before.

https://twitter.com/hiimbleep/status/939844461390999552

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Ariong posted:

Avalon Code.

Oh, awesome. Thank you! Did that game's code system end up more a ittle thing or a thing dragging it down? It looks really cool, but looking it up now it seems to have a mixed reception.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its a grindy piece of poo poo that severely squanders the amazing game premise it has.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

The Bee posted:

Oh, awesome. Thank you! Did that game's code system end up more a ittle thing or a thing dragging it down? It looks really cool, but looking it up now it seems to have a mixed reception.

It doesn't actually realize its core conceit in anything but the most trivial ways.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That's basically what I expected. Still sucks major to hear, though.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Avalon Code is the one game I ever found interesting and obscure enough to want to LP, though it was already done by the time I looked into it and quite well at that. It's the only game I've ever bought on the basis of the premise alone, and even though it's so utterly squandered, there are occasional glimpses of the game it could have been.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Didja Redo did a really good LP of Avalon Code if you enjoy narrative LPs (if you don't, the "real deal" updates are still a good overview of the game)

The game itself is abysmal though unfortunately :(

someone awful. has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Dec 23, 2017

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Night in the Woods does a really cool thing with its dialogue where it expands and changes scenes depending on who you talk too. I did a speed run of the game when the free DLC patch came out to see what changed; but now that I'm doing a more thorough run I'm finding a lot more dialogue than I experienced the first run through. For example, you get a much longer scene at the campfire if you talk to Gregg & Angus fully where they support Mae a bit more through her drunk diatribe. If you talk to one of the new NPCs from the DLC patch (the army recruiter guy) the next day Mae has additional dialogue at the Town Centre statue. I love when games reward talking to people like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think I've got to the actual final level in Ape Escape now, Spectreland - I quite like that this last stand is basically Spectre wanting to play - he just thought of it, and quickly had it built during the TV Tower boss fight, at least according to his reaction "Wait, I've just thought of something.... I'll call you later, look forward to it. :haw:" At this point I don't even know if Spectre has a coherent plan, he just seems to be doing bullshit. It's fun though. Also I like the map - all the other worlds have 3 levels in a tight circle for the map select screen, but Spectreland takes up the entire wheel on it's own, being the largest level - 24 monkeys, 10 coins and Spectre all await.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

I think I've got to the actual final level in Ape Escape now, Spectreland - I quite like that this last stand is basically Spectre wanting to play - he just thought of it, and quickly had it built during the TV Tower boss fight, at least according to his reaction "Wait, I've just thought of something.... I'll call you later, look forward to it. :haw:" At this point I don't even know if Spectre has a coherent plan, he just seems to be doing bullshit. It's fun though. Also I like the map - all the other worlds have 3 levels in a tight circle for the map select screen, but Spectreland takes up the entire wheel on it's own, being the largest level - 24 monkeys, 10 coins and Spectre all await.

Yup, it's massive. Ape Escape was one of my favorite games growing up. Must've 100%'d it three times or so. Once you know the stage layouts and the tricks to getting through them, you can do it pretty quickly. I've always especially enjoyed the one-on-one races against Jake (or Buzz, as he's called in the European version, apparently) which seemed incredibly hard the first few times I did them but ended up being actually really simple once I figured out a few ways to shave my time down

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Desperate Character posted:

Night in the Woods does a really cool thing with its dialogue where it expands and changes scenes depending on who you talk too. I did a speed run of the game when the free DLC patch came out to see what changed; but now that I'm doing a more thorough run I'm finding a lot more dialogue than I experienced the first run through. For example, you get a much longer scene at the campfire if you talk to Gregg & Angus fully where they support Mae a bit more through her drunk diatribe. If you talk to one of the new NPCs from the DLC patch (the army recruiter guy) the next day Mae has additional dialogue at the Town Centre statue. I love when games reward talking to people like that.

Been waiting for that dlc - would you say the changes alone make it worth a new playthrough? Last time I played I was in the middle of a "Bea run" but I'm unsure if I should just start over if I ever get around to getting the dlc.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

scarycave posted:

Been waiting for that dlc - would you say the changes alone make it worth a new playthrough? Last time I played I was in the middle of a "Bea run" but I'm unsure if I should just start over if I ever get around to getting the dlc.

It's a free update and you absolutely should start over.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Does the update address the less-than-welcome shift in the game's last chapter?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Horizon Zero Dawn starts off by asking you what language you want the text in, the dialogue and then if you want subtitles or not. So we're off to a great start.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn starts off by asking you what language you want the text in, the dialogue and then if you want subtitles or not. So we're off to a great start.

Until a game gives me an option to have all dialogue in sign language, this isn't that impressive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MrJacobs posted:

Until a game gives me an option to have all dialogue in sign language, this isn't that impressive.

You actually made me legitimately curious if someone could ever model that. Im sure it'd be exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

You actually made me legitimately curious if someone could ever model that. Im sure it'd be exhausting.

I think a Metal Gear game (probably Phantom Pain) was planned to have a sign language only character, but they couldn't make it work.