Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CJacobs posted:

It'd just crash your game after giving you a whiny error about mod drm. However, the game would be made to crash during loading whatever world you'd selected, because that's when mods are initialized, so it had a pretty high chance of immediately and irreversibly corrupting your save.

Okay, that manages to be the perfect trifecta of too dickish, too boring, and too whiny. For a bee mod, of all things? Horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You've programmed your game horribly wrong if a save that's being loaded can be corrupted. That poo poo should be read-only.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The beepocalypse thing was the original drm, exactly as you'd imagine (the game would very quickly spawn infinite bees whenever one would spawn and it'd hard lock your game), but it was changed out for the much shittier drm pretty shortly after. The infinite bees caused the same end problem though, the user couldn't load their world ever again because the game would have to try and spawn the bees.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=106040.4740

quote:

SirSengir implemented a function inside Forestry that would query what directory it was inside, and if it was inside the directories used by the Technic Launcher, the mod would proceed to spawn bees that destroyed your world. He did this because the Technic Pack at the time had included Forestry without asking him, and he didn't even bother to ask for it to be removed, just decided "gently caress the user!".

edit: Also the bees would explode

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 24, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You've programmed your game horribly wrong if a save that's being loaded can be corrupted. That poo poo should be read-only.

:notch:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Minecraft is coded so terribly that when you start up a save, the game starts simulating things like npc movement, plants/crops growing etc before the save actually finishes loading. If the game exits while this is happening by say some fuckhead entitled baby modder forcing it to hard crash it can pretty much turn all the data in the save file into unreadable mush. At least, that's my understanding of it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The whole "Better Than Wolves" name, of course, was because the modder was so pissed Minecraft would dare add in tamable animals before, iirc, new flower mechanics or something minor like that. Hence that his mod that did various random things was better than the wolves.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CJacobs posted:

Minecraft is coded so terribly that when you start up a save, the game starts simulating things like npc movement, plants/crops growing etc before the save actually finishes loading. If the game exits while this is happening by say some fuckhead entitled baby modder forcing it to hard crash it can pretty much turn all the data in the save file into unreadable mush. At least, that's my understanding of it.

That shouldn't matter unless the game is CHANGING THINGS IN THE SAVE FILE WHILE IT IS READING FROM IT

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That shouldn't matter unless the game is CHANGING THINGS IN THE SAVE FILE WHILE IT IS READING FROM IT

Minecraft has had many different save behaviors over time. The first few were Notch creations so yeah they did some dumb poo poo

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It is doing that- my implication was that the game was updating these positions and saving them as it would when you're actually playing. Minecraft writes inventory, item, npc and block positions to the save file very very frequently so that everything is always synced properly. When you actually get to gameplay that's not... so bad... but when you're loading up the game it can have pretty catastrophic side effects if something interrupts it.

edit: I guess the process is that it pulls the location of everything from the save file when it starts loading, and then it sets all those things in motion before it's finished but after it's done using that information. Said information then updates while the rest of the save file is being combed through while the game loads.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 25, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah, that's amazingly horrible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, that's amazingly horrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean it only goes on for maybe two or three seconds at the most, but as it turns out two or three seconds is all you need for exploding infinite bees to destroy your save file

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah, that's amazingly horrible Minecraft.

FTFY

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
:nws: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28812 :nws:

Jesus Christ.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MohShuvuu posted:

Jesus Christ.

There's no use calling for him, he abandoned us long ago

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Nah, he's more of an arms day guy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Oh, it's the enormous legs that are freaking people out? That's a different mod altogether. I was trying to figure out what was so bad about the costume.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ellen RIPPEDley

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gnoman posted:

Oh, it's the enormous legs that are freaking people out? That's a different mod altogether. I was trying to figure out what was so bad about the costume.

I mean as far as sexy clothing mods go that's pretty vanilla.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kibayasu posted:

I mean as far as sexy clothing mods go that's pretty vanilla.

Hence my confusion. Yes, the model's freaky, but it was a link to the clothing, not the model.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think those uh, clothes are just a rip from Vindictus anyway

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like this bit from the mods description:

quote:

I have reworked the mesh to ensure no clipping. This mod uses Slot 36 (TORSO) so it's paramount to give you a sexy experience without weird holes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

« Games › The Awful/Awesome Mods Thread: It's paramount to give you a sexy experience without weird holes

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As far as I can tell weird holes are paramount to a sexy experience in Fallout mods.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

And changing things in the save file while reading from it wouldn't even matter if the game kept a backup that was only overwritten when you quit the game or something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

One of the new Black Mirror episodes is based on how character models in Nexus mods look like they are begging for death.

One crucial detail is the total opposite of Nexus mods, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ever wanted to play Star Wars: Republic Commando in Star Wars: Battlefront 2 the first one?

For a game from 2005, it has an absurdly dedicated modding base.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Hell, they still have an ongoing multiplayer community for that matter. Use some third party thing like game ranger or such and you'll be able to hop on in.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drakenel posted:

Hell, they still have an ongoing multiplayer community for that matter. Use some third party thing like game ranger or such and you'll be able to hop on in.

You don't even need to do that any more because the Steam and GOG releases got built-in mutiplayer again.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Kibayasu posted:

You don't even need to do that any more because the Steam and GOG releases got built-in mutiplayer again.

They say that, but hell if I've ever gotten it to work.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think my favorite dumb modder story is still the guy who applied absurd forced penalties to Hohmann transfer orbits in Kerbal Space Program because he hated what is actually the most efficient way to go between bodies in a solar system

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When you look at Chun-Li and think "ugh what a twiggy waif"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair, they do call it the "atomic beauty", presumably because you'd have to be irradiated to look like that

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shugojin posted:

I think my favorite dumb modder story is still the guy who applied absurd forced penalties to Hohmann transfer orbits in Kerbal Space Program because he hated what is actually the most efficient way to go between bodies in a solar system

Better Than Starting Manned. Made by Flowerchild, eternal shitlord across many, many games.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shugojin posted:

...why? Why would someone hate a- concept? Scientific principle?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Sooo, same person as the infamous 'Better Than Wolves' discussed above, I take it.

There's a fine line between 'avante-garde art project' and 'mental illness'.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

CommissarMega posted:

...why? Why would someone hate a- concept? Scientific principle?

Autism.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shugojin posted:

I like mods that have random, out of place features for no apparent reason that the mod author refuses to get rid of. I can understand if it it's just like "hey, here's my personal project that I'm throwing up in case anyone else wants to use it," but like actually making a mod that's nominally something like a game rebalance with the intention of having other people use it and then also inexplicably welding giant dicks onto every character is one thing I'll never get.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
If you don't get people welding giant dicks to anything and everything you're on the wrong forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Shugojin posted:

I'm not familiar with Kerbal Space Program, but isn't the point of the game is to try and emulate space travel and space shuttle construction as accurately as possible? Why make a mod like that? It's not even a, "It's difficult so as to be more realistic" argument, it just sounds like it's making the game more difficult arbitrarily.