Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

The blast is diverted to the ceiling twenty feet overhead. Which I'm sure is fine.

The entire concept of having an enclosed hangar that takes up a third of the ship to carry craft that are vastly less effective at force projection than the craft that is carrying them is a good idea and I support it. After all you wouldn't want the fighters to be exposed to the elements.

If the game kicked off with you being assigned to some kind of basic patrol ship that carried a finite number of fighters (because you're a piece of poo poo jr. officer that is stuck patrolling garbage facilities in the middle of nowhere to try an remind people to pay their taxes) attached to the outer hull, maybe enclosed within some kind of blister, with basic munitions that ran along the same logistic needs as the ship carrying them that would be fine and amusing. Plus Chris could have some kind of scene where you have to sprint along the outer hull of your ship in the middle of a firefight so you can scramble your fighter.

It's pretty obvious why in the far future with fightercraft that have perfect vertical and horizontal strafe capabilities you would want a carrier ship centered around a giant tube that meant you could only launch or retrieve a single fighter at a time:

You're Chris Roberts, noted idiot thumb man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

SomethingJones posted:

Big shout out to everyone posting videos of 3.0, this is my very favourite moment from all of them right here; in fact in the space of ten seconds it manages to sum up the last 5 years of Star Citizen development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FAGBd4ffMc&t=187s

this is glorious

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the thing that is really stupid is that a space carrier doesnt really make much sense, especially in the star citizen universe

aircraft carriers irl are boats that carry planes around. they are vehicles that travel in two different mediums that have different advantages and disadvantages. an aircraft carriers weight is supported by the water, so it costs far less than having fighter jets just idle looping around where you think you might need them. it's a big, mobile airbase.

the crob carrier is a spaceship that carriers more spaceships. all of them are ftl capable. why not just have your fighters fly in from a distant base? or if they'd run out of fuel, why don't you make the base moveable and have a fortress to transport all the fighters you want around? why have three fighters inside a slightly larger fighter? that's just putting your eggs in one basket. there's no fuel saving, you're moving the same mass in the same medium.

the only real use i can see for having a large space fighter carry another ship is if its carrying landers, in the same way that a carrier carries smaller boats to land on the shore with. But all the star citizen ships are capable of landing on planets and taking off from planets

i get that at the end of the day its just croberts doing what he wants to tell the stupid ww2 story in space he wants. but the harping on about realism is ridiculous.

there are like seven hundred things you could have done to make the space carrier make more sense. Like long range FTL equipment is huge and heavy so you can't make an ftl capable fighter, so you have to have this big ship carrying in the smaller ones. Or the fuel costs for FTL jumps increase logarithmically with distance, so you need a massive fuel tanker to make it to distant systems.

but if they took ftl off of smaller ships to make the setting more reasonable, they'd ruin the sale value of all their smaller ships. And then for the other one, to make a big fuel tanker worth buying they'd have to make more than one loving system in the game.

edit: its me ya boy the idris

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 25, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

It's pretty obvious why in the far future with fightercraft that have perfect vertical and horizontal strafe capabilities you would want a carrier ship centered around a giant tube that meant you could only launch or retrieve a single fighter at a time:

You're Chris Roberts, noted idiot thumb man

Oh poo poo that's right.

On a side note I appreciate the work you guys are doing on the OP. Every couple weeks it has less but says more.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

We need helicopters in space.

I need Star Citizen to collapse before this happens. I won't be able to resist if they put Airwolf in their game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

The inner thoughts being read aloud, it's just so weird and unsettling and it's the kind of thing you'd expect in an arty, experimental indie game dealing with mental illness. That's how bad it is. All player movement and interaction looks fiddly and awkward and annoying, what in the gently caress was that combat bit about, all of a sudden it looks like a 90s game that's been reskinned with hd textures. The stealth kill, gently caress me.

Stanley thought he was in a good game today. But soon realized that he was, in fact, in a rather questionable one. He thought for a moment if this might change, but Stanley was wrong. Stanley was so wrong, as a matter of fact, that he had to sell his very soul, and of course his house, to star in this game.

Oh Stanley, what adventures we are about to go on!

Let’s begin. You wake up in wank pod number 42.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Sunswipe posted:

I need Star Citizen to collapse before this happens. I won't be able to resist if they put Airwolf in their game.

Diamondback scout.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sunswipe posted:

My greatest fear in life is that City Skylines will bust out their own version of Sim Copter for $1000 and I'll have to look at myself in my $1000 mirror one last time before driving to the pawn shop.

Also up there is being blown out into space like in Event Horizon. Thankfully as the years go by it's looking more and more like I might dodge that bullet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sunswipe posted:

Yes, let's mocap Jan-Michael Vincent and Borgnine's corpse.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
So about that new ToS that's currently in the launcher (they haven't updated the web site yet)

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/907374617286901763

I haven't done any comparison yet, but when I took a quick look last night, I noticed some things I didn't before. It doesn't matter if they added a single line, it would be new. Hilariously, the website TOS won't apply to the game TOS or vice versa, since you can't be subject to the game TOS if you don't actually agree, download, play it.

Adding these new sections to the launcher just means they want to be able to go after people streaming bad poo poo about the game, or making money of it.

It's loving hilarious.

ps. Remember how I've been saying that the Crytek fiasco isn't even the tip of the iceberg for what's coming next? Standby. Two Weeks.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tokamak posted:

IT BEGINS

Thank god 3.1 is where everything begins! I knew all along that 3.0 is just groundwork laying and is something that can be skipped.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Great Scott, you are one salty Warlord.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

The blast is diverted to the ceiling twenty feet overhead. Which I'm sure is fine.

The entire concept of having an enclosed hangar that takes up a third of the ship to carry craft that are vastly less effective at force projection than the craft that is carrying them is a good idea and I support it. After all you wouldn't want the fighters to be exposed to the elements.

If the game kicked off with you being assigned to some kind of basic patrol ship that carried a finite number of fighters (because you're a piece of poo poo jr. officer that is stuck patrolling garbage facilities in the middle of nowhere to try an remind people to pay their taxes) attached to the outer hull, maybe enclosed within some kind of blister, with basic munitions that ran along the same logistic needs as the ship carrying them that would be fine and amusing. Plus Chris could have some kind of scene where you have to sprint along the outer hull of your ship in the middle of a firefight so you can scramble your fighter.

But that's silly. Let's have blast diverters.

Volume is free in space so I don't mind the enclosed hangar. Ignoring that space fighters in general are dumb for a multitude of reasons, or that space combat in general has no business occurring at subsonic velocities, or a multitude of other reasons, what irritates me is that a multi-purpose ship with pilots and Marines has two guys doing everything.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the thing that is really stupid is that a space carrier doesnt really make much sense, especially in the star citizen universe

aircraft carriers irl are boats that carry planes around. they are vehicles that travel in two different mediums that have different advantages and disadvantages. an aircraft carriers weight is supported by the water, so it costs far less than having fighter jets just idle looping around where you think you might need them. it's a big, mobile airbase.

the crob carrier is a spaceship that carriers more spaceships. all of them are ftl capable. why not just have your fighters fly in from a distant base? or if they'd run out of fuel, why don't you make the base moveable and have a fortress to transport all the fighters you want around? why have three fighters inside a slightly larger fighter? that's just putting your eggs in one basket. there's no fuel saving, you're moving the same mass in the same medium.

the only real use i can see for having a large space fighter carry another ship is if its carrying landers, in the same way that a carrier carries smaller boats to land on the shore with. But all the star citizen ships are capable of landing on planets and taking off from planets

i get that at the end of the day its just croberts doing what he wants to tell the stupid ww2 story in space he wants. but the harping on about realism is ridiculous.

there are like seven hundred things you could have done to make the space carrier make more sense. Like long range FTL equipment is huge and heavy so you can't make an ftl capable fighter, so you have to have this big ship carrying in the smaller ones. Or the fuel costs for FTL jumps increase logarithmically with distance, so you need a massive fuel tanker to make it to distant systems.

but if they took ftl off of smaller ships to make the setting more reasonable, they'd ruin the sale value of all their smaller ships. And then for the other one, to make a big fuel tanker worth buying they'd have to make more than one loving system in the game.

edit: its me ya boy the idris

A big dumb space carrier can make sense, but only if it's massive and can haul around swarms of small fighters (that don't have FTL capabilities themselves, like you said). Something like the Idris is completely pointless because in any reasonably thought out sci-fi scenario all that space would be better served fitting bigger/more shield generators or bigger/more weapons. You have to get truly massive before it's worth it to even haul around fighters and if all those fighters have FTL then your resources would almost definitely be put to better use by just making a shitload more fighters for the cost of your big dumb expensive easy to shoot carrier.

Of course, this is Star Citizen, where fighters are so souped up that it's almost always a worse proposition to have one big ship instead of two small ones anyway (2 guys in hornets are immensely more combat effective than 9 guys in the same Retaliator) so those three fighters the Idris hauls are probably more effective from a combat standpoint than any extra weaponry or shields you could pack in there instead of that stupid flight deck.

Does one kind of stupid cancel out the other? :iiam:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel like somewhere in the stuff I've read the Javelin was originally supposed to be the main ship for SQ42 but I assume realism cut in. And by that I mean realistically the servers joined the players and ships and killed themselves when they tried.

I mean we all know none of this matters but isn't the whole thing that they'd love to put the SQ42 game on a Javelin then a Bengal with 12 star systems and 60 missions and a cast of thousands but the ships keep killing themselves?

Anyway I'm pretty sure FIGHTERS==IMPORTANT is a cornerstone of all wing comm games and the Idris is the biggest ship that doesn't set the game on actual fire irl so there you go.

This is what I keep raving about. Game literally fails out of the starting line to live up to wing commander.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Slow_Moe posted:

Now all they need is to draw the obvious conclusion: the performance is poo poo because the game is poo poo.

:allears:

If the game is poo poo, it means there is a game. Check tane gooniflas.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I've never agreed to any of CIG's ToS's, ever. I'm totally free and clear to say that the enterprise isn't the best I've ever seen, and I'd even support people having questions.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

So about that new ToS that's currently in the launcher (they haven't updated the web site yet)

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/907374617286901763

I haven't done any comparison yet, but when I took a quick look last night, I noticed some things I didn't before. It doesn't matter if they added a single line, it would be new. Hilariously, the website TOS won't apply to the game TOS or vice versa, since you can't be subject to the game TOS if you don't actually agree, download, play it.

Adding these new sections to the launcher just means they want to be able to go after people streaming bad poo poo about the game, or making money of it.

It's loving hilarious.

ps. Remember how I've been saying that the Crytek fiasco isn't even the tip of the iceberg for what's coming next? Standby. Two Weeks.

Did you really for real go back through all your tweets to see if you'd called something, that is glorious and hilarious

Anyway they're too late for all that, the cat is out of the bag, the monkey is out of the breadbin and the donkey has trapped its penis in the fence, for youtube is slowly filling up with 3.0 videos and they are absolutely shocking to anyone with at least one working eye and one good brain cell

They've quite openly poised themselves to go after the only people left actually trying to play their mess - the streamers and youtubers, and that makes them look even more desperate than the land sales and tanks did. It's open, public, clear as day honest to goodness grade A jibbering lunatic desperation and a full blown Total Scam and shame on everyone still involved with it or promoting it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

A big dumb space carrier can make sense, but only if it's massive and can haul around swarms of small fighters (that don't have FTL capabilities themselves, like you said). Something like the Idris is completely pointless because in any reasonably thought out sci-fi scenario all that space would be better served fitting bigger/more shield generators or bigger/more weapons. You have to get truly massive before it's worth it to even haul around fighters and if all those fighters have FTL then your resources would almost definitely be put to better use by just making a shitload more fighters for the cost of your big dumb expensive easy to shoot carrier.

Of course, this is Star Citizen, where fighters are so souped up that it's almost always a worse proposition to have one big ship instead of two small ones anyway (2 guys in hornets are immensely more combat effective than 9 guys in the same Retaliator) so those three fighters the Idris hauls are probably more effective from a combat standpoint than any extra weaponry or shields you could pack in there instead of that stupid flight deck.

Does one kind of stupid cancel out the other? :iiam:

i guess in that balance a carrier would make sense if the fighters were drones rather than manned. keep the pilots inside the big cushy protected carrier, plus you'd be saving on the multi-ton life support equipment a manned fighter needs.

in a more realistic situation i guess the drones would have to be ai controlled, due to lightspeed lag on the control signals and response, but fights in star citizen take place at spitting distance and they have ftl communications anyway. just replace the grand ballroom or w/e in the idris with a drone pilots parlor and be done with it.

you could even have your guy controlling a humanoid drone for ground missions too. a sci-fi FPS where your character actually never leaves the carrier would be a pretty original idea.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

the crob carrier is a spaceship that carriers more spaceships. all of them are ftl capable. why not just have your fighters fly in from a distant base? or if they'd run out of fuel, why don't you make the base moveable and have a fortress to transport all the fighters you want around? why have three fighters inside a slightly larger fighter?

Without a larger fighter there is no chow room, there is nothing to mop, so all their development effort would be wasted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eve carriers can launch 3 wings of 8 fighters each, with a lot more in the hanger. I forget the specifics off the top of my head.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the problem with eve is that they actually designed a combat ecosystem with roles for ships to fill

and even there some ships are drastically less useful than others

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

Did you really for real go back through all your tweets to see if you'd called something, that is glorious and hilarious

Didn't need to. All the notes I use for my book, are tagged and searchable. I have an entire section about the TOS. So finding a link to this Tweet was all of 30 secs.

quote:

Anyway they're too late for all that, the cat is out of the bag, the monkey is out of the breadbin and the donkey has trapped its penis in the fence, for youtube is slowly filling up with 3.0 videos and they are absolutely shocking to anyone with at least one working eye and one good brain cell

They've quite openly poised themselves to go after the only people left actually trying to play their mess - the streamers and youtubers, and that makes them look even more desperate than the land sales and tanks did. It's open, public, clear as day honest to goodness grade A jibbering lunatic desperation and a full blown Total Scam and shame on everyone still involved with it or promoting it.

Yup.

I had already said that they had no choice but to release something before the holidays.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/945059091675836416

The Shillizens are still trying their best to hold down the fort, even as most people now realize what we've all been saying: that those poo poo bags in Evocati and closed PTU where lying poo poo bags who were hoping that CIG would fix the mess before it goes live, thus saving said poo poo bags from looking like lying poo poo bags.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 25, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

poo poo bagizen

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
Merry Christmas Commandos.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Solarin posted:

poo poo bagizen
I like this one

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Going to be alot of coal in backers' stalkings if all this complaining keeps up. :colbert:

Merry Christmas Commandos.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Give me more salt :kheldragar:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

Go to the reddit forum and order the posts by newest first. It is a salt mine and every single post gets immediately downvoted so that it never reaches the frontpage.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

trucutru posted:

Go to the reddit forum and order the posts by newest first. It is a salt mine and every single post gets immediately downvoted so that it never reaches the frontpage.

:effort:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also that involves going on reddit

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Can I get a third?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:kayak:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

:justpost:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Volume is free in space

Then why can't I hear anything in space :colbert:

trucutru posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/

For some reason they lost their controversial button who knows what happened to it surely this is a mystery of this and future ages

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Joyeuses saturnales à tous. Et n'oubliez pas : qu'importe l'arnaque tant que l'hilarité en est l'issue.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Dusty Lens posted:

Then why can't I hear anything in space :colbert:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/

For some reason they lost their controversial button who knows what happened to it surely this is a mystery of this and future ages

That is CRAZY!

They're trying to hide the poor state of it with the TOS and trying to hide discussion of the poor state of it on the sub at the same time. This will end well.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

iospace posted:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

iospace gunning for the position of "next SC subforum mod" lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So you're saying I should play it, then?