Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cojawfee posted:

I want to see some sort of glitch where a human host starts acting like a horse.

I'm optimistic that S2 will feature a multi-episode arc with an IT team trying to squash the bug that is causing hosts to kill guests and maybe a moment when somebody tells them and they are like "did you file a ticket?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm optimistic that S2 will feature a multi-episode arc with an IT team trying to squash the bug that is causing hosts to kill guests and maybe a moment when somebody tells them and they are like "did you file a ticket?"

HAHAHAHA

"Did you try turning off and back on? When you turn it off, please wait 10 seconds before turning it back on."

Hold message "Many of our customers find they can solve problems themselves using our online knowledge base. You can get to that by logging into your account and..."

"Sir, I'm showing this serial number is out of warranty. Do you have a service contract with us?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I want to see some sort of glitch where a human host starts acting like a horse.

Ok, but the host is Dolores and the horselike thing she's doing is pooping nonchalantly in a field.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
"Character dies in every episode on the first day of increasingly undangerous jobs" is an incredible premise for a show and I'd watch the hell out of it

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

"Character dies in every episode on the first day of increasingly undangerous jobs" is an incredible premise for a show and I'd watch the hell out of it

"oh no, not again"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

So basically Kenny from South Park

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Caufman posted:

Ok, but the host is Dolores and the horselike thing she's doing is pooping nonchalantly in a field.

So a game of thrones crossover is what you're saying?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Quantum Leap but Sam just fucks up every leap.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caufman posted:

lol i lied

I've rewatched Westworld Season 1 every Sunday for the last ten months. I have theories that you can't even imagine what's wrong with me. I have one about how Maeve's botched escape program was a part of Charlotte Hale's plan to steal a host and get Ford fired.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and i wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Wasn't there a single season "good spy vs evil spy" show where the evil spy died every episode?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ I hope this show comes out soon

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/AnthonyHopkins/status/945388902596075520

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
He’s gonna eat that cat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Given the fun trivia that the original Westworld literally coined the term computer virus, it'd be nice to see some sort of homage reference to that. I mean that's a pretty notable thing to add to the lexicon. I will say this show has really made me appreciate the original Westworld film a lot.

In fact, even Future World is worth a watch. It's a total, total loving mess of ideas - some that work, some that don't - and it feels like there's a half dozen missing film reels, but it did push the limits of effects and deserves some notoriety for being the first movie with some pure CGI effects, which isn't to overshadow the first Westworld's use of CGI elements to do the machine view effects.

All in all the whole franchise has kind of an interesting history. I have to admit, I know when I watched it I was going "Wow, I bet this inspired The Terminator" only to find out that Arnold was literally made to watch Westworld to learn how to act like a robot. I feel like the movie deserves a bit higher place on pop culture than it ended up on; even now I doubt many people went back to watch the 70s one. I mean quite honestly it holds up really well on a modern viewing.

Astroman posted:

All I've seen for sure is the fact that the creators last year said Season 1 was really just a prequel to the real, totally different series. So keep that in mind.

Given the way season 1 ended if it wasn't a very different series going forward it would be really, really dumb.

Doesn't mean they won't put out some killer tie-in lore again, of course.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 25, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would love to see some flashbacks of Wlliam becoming a psycho CEO, appearing composed in public and treating humans like hosts

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

As an English/Welshman i appreciate that tea pot for what it represents.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also, OP, whenever the thread is closer to the new season you need to add that video explaining how the Westworld holotable thing is actually a practical on-camera effect that can be triggered from tablets held by the actors. It's loving nuts they went through the trouble to make it a real, on-set special effect with light projection on a model when EVERYONE I talk to just assumes it's CGI.

Seriously this is cool as gently caress: http://www.scpsunlimited.com/case-studies/2016/10/17/westworlds-futuristic-interactive-map-system

Professor Shark posted:

Jesus Christ I hope this show comes out soon

I still think one of my favorite things about the show is how Nolan made everyone play at least 40 hours of GTA Online before even beginning writing. It really shows at times and makes GTA 5 have amusing echos of Westworld at times.

I really hope Rockstar does some sort of nod to this in Red Read Redemption 2. Just some random NPC named Dolores that always drops a can or something would be hilarious.

ED: I'd bet :10bux: that this is why Steven Ogg got a role.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 26, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also, OP, whenever the thread is closer to the new season you need to add that video explaining how the Westworld holotable thing is actually a practical on-camera effect that can be triggered from tablets held by the actors. It's loving nuts they went through the trouble to make it a real, on-set special effect with light projection on a model when EVERYONE I talk to just assumes it's CGI.

Seriously this is cool as gently caress: http://www.scpsunlimited.com/case-studies/2016/10/17/westworlds-futuristic-interactive-map-system

I still think one of my favorite things about the show is how Nolan made everyone play at least 40 hours of GTA Online before even beginning writing. It really shows at times and makes GTA 5 have amusing echos of Westworld at times.

I really hope Rockstar does some sort of nod to this in Red Read Redemption 2. Just some random NPC named Dolores that always drops a can or something would be hilarious.

Cool, I will add it when I get a chance

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blazing Ownager posted:

This is all awesome and so is Stephen Ogg.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Not that Ogg was already one of the main actors in GTA5?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CaveGrinch posted:

That cat’s gonna eat him.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

CaveGrinch posted:

Anthony Hopkins is now a cat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

unlawfulsoup posted:

This poo poo should be probatable. I don't care if people poo poo on any show here, but at least have the loving stones to watch it first.

Hey buddy I made a perfectly decent response to it and nobody said a damned thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Rocksicles posted:

As an English/Welshman i appreciate that tea pot for what it represents.

Colonialism?

Collateral posted:

Not that Ogg was already one of the main actors in GTA5?

He's saying that Ogg probably got a role in Westworld because he was in GTAV.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's the opening of every episode of Six Feet Under.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

Colonialism?

Bingo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Today on new guy death bingo, pillow tester.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Is Anthony Hopkins confirmed to be in the second season somewhere?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well someone killed that tiger, and it sure as hell wasn't Deddy Teddy

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The email I got from the Westworld site where it's just someone from outside the park yelling at their coworkers in the park for failing to answer emails or pick up the phone warmed my heart.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope when whichever character goes into the control room or power station to reboot the system or whatever, they take off their shoe to prop a door open

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Shark posted:

I hope when whichever character goes into the control room or power station to reboot the system or whatever, they take off their shoe to prop a door open

I feel like this is a Crichton reference I'm not getting??

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Mameluke posted:

Now that I think about it, his works do frequently find people getting locked into secure areas and then having to hack their way out...

Also everyone got trapped in the control room at the end of S1...guessing they all ate each other? :confuoot:

I got the bluray for Christmas and it is pretty neat! Nice packaging and a little booklet with the Delos corporate stuff...hopefully the extras and commentary are spiffy as well. :unsmith:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

This reminds me, someone needs to find and link the YOSPOS Westworld thread. It was loving amazing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Mameluke posted:

In the JP novel John Arnold props the door to the power station open using his shoe to allow some light to get in, but a few minutes later it also lets a raptor in that kills him.

Now that I think about it, his works do frequently find people getting locked into secure areas and then having to hack their way out...

Also everyone got trapped in the control room at the end of S1...guessing they all ate each other? :confuoot:

In the movie the room is air tight and they all die after a few hours

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Solkanar512 posted:

This reminds me, someone needs to find and link the YOSPOS Westworld thread. It was loving amazing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799615&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Our boy jimmi Simpson shows up in the new episode of Black mirror and it's a really really fitting role. Ryhmes with his role in westworld, and is a sort of corralary. Kind of fun to think about his character having the same experience across shows - adds to the depth of what he says and experiences in the black mirror ep.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey so John Nolan/Ramin Djawadi related:

I have really enjoyed Person of Interest seasons 1-2, but season 3 is really impressing me. I’m only up to S3-e9//10 but I’m just brimming with praise.

Reese has really shown a lot of depth this season, which is cool because he’s absolutely taking a big back seat. Harold, Root, Carter, Shaw are all really blowing up and their storylines are fantastic, and Reese has basically been laid pretty bare by the events/revelations of S2. So now they give him amazing scenes like leaving the gun on the table in the yacht.

The music is just bananas good, every time a song takes the foreground in the mixing I pull up my seat because badass poo poo is going down. He definitely has a massive hardon for 90’s trip-hop and downtempo, which to be fair is literally the soundtrack of the birth of the internet, so it’s very fitting I’ll bet somewhat intentional.

Shaw is super fun and a great foil to Harold more than she is to Reese, but Carter is literally the most competent police officer in Television. I’ve never seen someone so convincingly outwit everyone while still tying their own hands so severely. Her taking down HR was way cooler than I was anticipating.

I’m also someone who is pretty exhausted by sex in all my media so the fact that the show just dances around it where as every other network show would give us steamy Reese/Zoe scenes all the time. One hasnt happened yet but even if it does I have faith it’ll be tasteful instead of the usual schlock.

I am extremely interested in where the Machine is taking us, and I have my nerdy pet theories so if anyone feels like chatting about PoI while we wait for Westworld poo poo I’d love to chat.

The last thing I watched was Shaw picking up Fuscoe from his house to go help Reese and and Carter turn in the head of HR, so the whole city is a war zone, please no spoilers :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so John Nolan/Ramin Djawadi related:

I have really enjoyed Person of Interest seasons 1-2, but season 3 is really impressing me. I’m only up to S3-e9//10 but I’m just brimming with praise.

Reese has really shown a lot of depth this season, which is cool because he’s absolutely taking a big back seat. Harold, Root, Carter, Shaw are all really blowing up and their storylines are fantastic, and Reese has basically been laid pretty bare by the events/revelations of S2. So now they give him amazing scenes like leaving the gun on the table in the yacht.

The music is just bananas good, every time a song takes the foreground in the mixing I pull up my seat because badass poo poo is going down. He definitely has a massive hardon for 90’s trip-hop and downtempo, which to be fair is literally the soundtrack of the birth of the internet, so it’s very fitting I’ll bet somewhat intentional.

Shaw is super fun and a great foil to Harold more than she is to Reese, but Carter is literally the most competent police officer in Television. I’ve never seen someone so convincingly outwit everyone while still tying their own hands so severely. Her taking down HR was way cooler than I was anticipating.

I’m also someone who is pretty exhausted by sex in all my media so the fact that the show just dances around it where as every other network show would give us steamy Reese/Zoe scenes all the time. One hasnt happened yet but even if it does I have faith it’ll be tasteful instead of the usual schlock.

I am extremely interested in where the Machine is taking us, and I have my nerdy pet theories so if anyone feels like chatting about PoI while we wait for Westworld poo poo I’d love to chat.

The last thing I watched was Shaw picking up Fuscoe from his house to go help Reese and and Carter turn in the head of HR, so the whole city is a war zone, please no spoilers :)

No spoilers, but you're coming up on the best episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That whole mini-arc was just straight God drat fire.