Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

umalt posted:

Untrue, my first Pokemon game was Silver. And since I was an idiot kid who didn't know about HMs, I grinded the first pokemon I caught (a Pidgy) to get it to learn fly as quickly as possible. It literally was the only Pokemon that I used in battle, and after a while it became disobedient until I beat more gym leaders.

Pidgey and its evolutions have never learned Fly naturally. Is it your memory that's wrong?

e: oh my god why is this a new page, I am going to die :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No Pokémon learn HM moves naturally

At least in the older ones.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

only if your definition of "older ones" stops at gen 2

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah the GBA is almost 2 decades old

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I remember the original Gameboy. Now there was a platform. Never played Pokemon on it, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the GBA is almost 2 decades old

loving a. I got that system with a
Castlevania, Advamce Wars, and a bright as hell lamp.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Seaking learned Waterfall in Gen I, which became an HM in Gen II. Close enough. :v:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I remember the original Gameboy. Now there was a platform. Never played Pokemon on it, though.

:same:

Mine still works even though it's literally held together by ducktape as the screws have all broke.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Back on topic; Frasier NYE 1999 episode, nobody makes anything of Frasier using a mobile phone while driving. Of course, this was back when they were still relatively new and Frasier and Niles were early adopters of such. (rich gits)

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Inescapable Duck posted:

Back on topic; Frasier NYE 1999 episode, nobody makes anything of Frasier using a mobile phone while driving. Of course, this was back when they were still relatively new and Frasier and Niles were early adopters of such. (rich gits)

I dunno, my family was nowhere near rich but my parents had one of these by '99.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah lots of people had cell phones in the late 90s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I had a cell phone in 1994 and I was a poor college student. Granted I got to choose between a mobile phone and a bag phone and I reeeeally considered that bag phone.

I do remember watching The Game and the theater letting out an audible gasp when Michael Douglas took a call via steering wheel controls.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I assume what they meant was that it's illegal to drive and use a phone in Washington today.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I was just talking about this part

"were still relatively new and Frasier and Niles were early adopters of such. (rich gits)"

Also there are still assholes everywhere since I see Uber drivers staring at their phone while driving all the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Point. Also, the depiction of video games has aged surprisingly well, probably because they minimise the details (it's hard to tell what Frederick is actually playing, looks like an off-brand Playstation controller) and keep the depiction to hilarious death screams and Niles sucking at it and immediately being sucked into the challenge. (and there's a mention of lives, but in 1999 you could expect games to still have that)

It's funny how Frasier and Niles are brothers only a few years apart but look about a decade apart, though David Hyde Pierce might just be one of those guys who always looks young.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
young niles was a goon

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I had a cell phone in 1994 and I was a poor college student. Granted I got to choose between a mobile phone and a bag phone and I reeeeally considered that bag phone.

My parents' first "cell" phone was a bag phone.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also there are still assholes everywhere since I see Uber drivers staring at their phone while driving all the time.

Yup. I watched a guy yapping on his cell phone blow through an intersection today while everyone else was stopped to let a firetruck with full lights and sirens go by. I hope that idiot crapped his pants, but more likely he had no clue.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
It's nice that they have cell phones on Frasier because it cuts down on the 'person a cannot contact person b' pattern in the plots

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mu Zeta posted:

I was just talking about this part

"were still relatively new and Frasier and Niles were early adopters of such. (rich gits)"

Can you rate them down for this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

It's nice that they have cell phones on Frasier because it cuts down on the 'person a cannot contact person b' pattern in the plots

Just more avenues through which to lie and miscommunicate. Niles seems to leave his phone at Frasier's place a lot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

There was this British sci-fi show, Blake's 7. It felt like a really understaffed Star Trek, so that 50% of each episode would be somebody "planetside" (invariably an unused Midlands factory) calling up to be transported, only for no-one to be in the transporter room as they're busy somewhere else on the ship.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There was this British sci-fi show, Blake's 7. It felt like a really understaffed Star Trek, so that 50% of each episode would be somebody "planetside" (invariably an unused Midlands factory) calling up to be transported, only for no-one to be in the transporter room as they're busy somewhere else on the ship.

Also, as an added bonus, the ship itself had a sentient computer that could have done it but often didn't or couldn't be bothered. It was a nice way to push the menace and lack of trust the crew had for each other.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Also, as an added bonus, the ship itself had a sentient computer that could have done it but often didn't or couldn't be bothered. It was a nice way to push the menace and lack of trust the crew had for each other.

I was really disappointed that the dystopian 1984ish vibe of the first episode or two didn't hold on for the rest of the first season. Don't know how the other ones went.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was really disappointed that the dystopian 1984ish vibe of the first episode or two didn't hold on for the rest of the first season. Don't know how the other ones went.

Oh boy it returned. One later series had a background plot of the Federation are gunning citizens drugged into blank compliance down in the street to see if they will react.

Plus the ending which really doesn't want spoiling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EdBlackadder posted:

Oh boy it returned. One later series had a background plot of the Federation are gunning citizens drugged into blank compliance down in the street to see if they will react.

Bah. Now I'm going to have to dig it up somehow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Looking back, it's a bit unnerving now that in the BBC's 1978 pilot Roj Blake was framed for child molesting. That aged a little too well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Milo and POTUS posted:

Can you rate them down for this?

Not sure how when I'm just a pedestrian.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

EdBlackadder posted:

Yeah, Blakes 7 really did showcase that the main power of 1984 dystopias rely a lot on the setting. Being in space and in gravel pits every so often means that the main thrust of the menace has to be carried by the characters. Which they really did do well, but that means you have to keep watching it as the anxiety over being hunted by something as cruel as the Federation is something else. And the ending, yes....

The UK show '1990' did not age that well. It concerns Britain being taken over and being made into the Soviet Union. It aired for two series...and then the year after it ended Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister and showed just how a capitalist dystopia would go, making all of '1990's' fearmongering delightfully outdated and quaint. At least the Soviet-styled masters in the show realized people had to eat.

1990 is on DVD right now in the UK, finally being released earlier this year.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_(TV_series)

Figured I should give a link in case anybody is interested. It has a lot of familiar faces in it, especially if you like The Equalizer and Keeping Up Appearances.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

At least the Soviet-styled masters in the show realized people had to eat.

Would have been nice if the real Soviet Union realised this

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

Would have been nice if the real Soviet Union realised this

1990 hinted at food shortages brought on by embargo. Oddly enough, the hero of the story also had this thing where people could be shipped out of the country by hiding in ships, making one wonder why didn't they all do that. But whatever, it was a pretty good series despite reality kicking it in the balls.

Since it's Christmas Eve, I've been watching the Married With Children Christmas specials throughout the years and the very first one aged badly but in a very sad way: the plot revolves around the opening of a brand new mall that is getting all sorts of press and excitement (which takes away from Al's mall). Flashforward to today and the attitude is very different: malls are pretty much collapsing around us as they either die out or are repurposed. It's hard to watch this episode and realize that at one time in America malls were like town centers to gather and hang out as well as shop, which requires leaving the house. Not to mention the mall would hand out gift certificates of $20 each just to push more business to every store there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

Looking back, it's a bit unnerving now that in the BBC's 1978 pilot Roj Blake was framed for child molesting. That aged a little too well.

:stare:

I completely forgot about that.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:stare:

I completely forgot about that.

What makes it stranger is that Blakes 7 really had the same budget as the Tom Baker Doctor Who, so going from aliens to child molestation dystopia was one hell of a jump.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jedit posted:

I was bored in a doctor's office and watching an old Charlie Brooker Wipe, and while he was talking about the BBC scandal, he posited that Jimmy Savile might not have achieved stardom if TV's in the 70's were similar to now, because his overall physical creepiness would have been magnified x1000 in today's modern landscape with the way TV's work now compared to how they did when Savile became a star, especially since the image was so much smaller than now. It's an interesting theory and I mainly brought it up because bringing up both Blake's 7 plus the BBC Molestapalooza made me think of it since Brooker covered both really well.

Sadly no Wipe this year :(

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Dec 25, 2017

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Somehow this BBC talk just reminded me that The Big Fat Quiz of the Year is only a couple of days away, oh boy.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Scholtz posted:

Somehow this BBC talk just reminded me that The Big Fat Quiz of the Year is only a couple of days away, oh boy.

The one with Mel B from the Spice Girls is a hilarious train wreck as you can see the tension and animosity grow and grow over the night as she slowly turns it from a fun "pub quiz" style thing into a funereal dirge by virtue of her being ... herself.

She even manages to piss off the usually placid and even tempered Richard Ayoade.

Highlight for me was this exchange.

Jimmy Carr :Hey, you can't turn all the panellists against you."
Sarah Millican "Oh yes she can."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

The one with Mel B from the Spice Girls is a hilarious train wreck as you can see the tension and animosity grow and grow over the night as she slowly turns it from a fun "pub quiz" style thing into a funereal dirge by virtue of her being ... herself.

She even manages to piss off the usually placid and even tempered Richard Ayoade.

Highlight for me was this exchange.

Jimmy Carr :Hey, you can't turn all the panellists against you."
Sarah Millican "Oh yes she can."
What happens?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nothing much. She is just really humorless, and doesn't seem to "get" the show. All the comedians are visibly uncomfortable, and tense, and it makes for peak cringe TV. Jimmy Carr being Jimmy Carr makes a few references to it during the show, but there is definitely an air of tension between them all.

From what I can gather having watched it, Micky Flanagan, (her teammate), made some sort of joke/comment backstage that she took umbrage at and then she bit his head off, and all the comedians reckoned she over-reacted so turned against her. You will notice he is being uncharacteristically quiet and subdued during the show. Also she makes some comment or other about "giving him his balls back", implying she had emasculated him earlier, hence his cowed performance.

Here's the full thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rx3RwwakAA

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Much like all British television, nothing interesting or entertaining. It's a group of unfunny people getting upset that another unfunny person wasn't being the scripted unfunny they were trying to be. Basically like what QI would be if the US tried to adapt it. Just terrible.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I was bored in a doctor's office and watching an old Charlie Brooker Wipe, and while he was talking about the BBC scandal, he posited that Jimmy Savile might not have achieved stardom if TV's in the 70's were similar to now, because his overall physical creepiness would have been magnified x1000 in today's modern landscape with the way TV's work now compared to how they did when Savile became a star, especially since the image was so much smaller than now. It's an interesting theory and I mainly brought it up because bringing up both Blake's 7 plus the BBC Molestapalooza made me think of it since Brooker covered both really well.

Possibly true, and he definitely wouldn't have cut so wide a swathe. My mother met Jimmy Savile in 1969 or 1970 and she indeed thought he was a creep, but she saw a lot of girls making moon eyes because he was the star from the TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Scholtz posted:

I'd love those if they stopped having Noel loving Fielding on them.