Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

if there is one I'd love to hear about it

I did just search the store and find Managr which looks like it might correct the only real issue I have with the official app: the lack of even basic playlist management even though the functions that would be needed are right loving there but only on the queue screen (e: oh and in the much better iOS app)

e2: managr can't even delete tracks lol
e3: there's an app with only 100 downloads called "Playlist Editor For Spotify" that seems more full featured than managr

You can get a dirty spotify app but they keep changing the API so you have to keep updating and yada yada yada, make a playlist of your own imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

syscall girl posted:

You can get a dirty spotify app but they keep changing the API so you have to keep updating and yada yada yada, make a playlist of your own imo

I make playlists of my own, that's why I want to edit them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skarsnik posted:

I post pictures all the time using the mobile site, what about it doesn't work well for you?

Uploading photos for me was always a 50/50 chance that it'd actually get uploaded or it would error out. Per photo (so, more photos, more errors). Everything slowed to a crawl, so adding text or tags was super painful. It's why I started using the app (instead of it just sitting in my app drawer so the one game on my phone could backup).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Stevie Lee posted:

I make playlists of my own, that's why I want to edit them

Ah cool. I'm not a spotifier myself I just use audio files instead.

Too poor to pay much for a data plan anyway so it's all local.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Word of warning to those of you using AMDroid as your alarm app: I just happened to check my Off Days list and Christmas and New Years Day were both set to Tuesday instead of Monday and my next alarm was listed as Monday morning.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Uthor posted:

Uploading photos for me was always a 50/50 chance that it'd actually get uploaded or it would error out. Per photo (so, more photos, more errors). Everything slowed to a crawl, so adding text or tags was super painful. It's why I started using the app (instead of it just sitting in my app drawer so the one game on my phone could backup).

This is my experience as well, it's just a crapshoot. Sometimes it works and other times it just kind of sends me into a confusing endless loop. Doesn't help that FB's interface for posting photos is pretty confusing even in the real app and desktop site, especially when you start trying to tag.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What's a good alternative to youtube app? The only thing I miss from Windows Phone was Tubecast because it avoided youtube ads and was nice overall. I can't loving stand watching a 10 minute video and then watch three lovely ads.

It's been some time since I have F-Droid installed on my phone and a goon mentioned NewPipe, is it any good? A requeriment would be allowing me to log in with my google account to manage my channel and that stuff.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 22, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
What are the best apps to use in conjunction with a bluetooth OBD II reader thing? I've got a car with a Check Engine light that only pops on every so often and by the time I can take it to a mechanic the light's off again, so I figure this cheap reader I picked up should let me diagnose what error message the car's trying to indicate when the light does come on next.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I feel like more OBDii systems store their codes, so they should be able to see that easily. Pepboys and AutoZone will read it for free.

I have used OBD Auto Doctor with success.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I can't say it's the best as I've not done an in depth comparison of the options, but I've used Torque to diagnose issues like that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have only used Torque Lite, but found it more performance oriented.

I believe the best paid option is DashCommand. Have not splurged for it yet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Torque.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Moey posted:

I feel like more OBDii systems store their codes, so they should be able to see that easily. Pepboys and AutoZone will read it for free.

I have used OBD Auto Doctor with success.

OBD Auto Doctor seems to work fine for what I need, and it turns out the only major error code it could find since the last time the ECU wa reset is an intermittent issue with emissions controls. Doesn't really seem like a pressing issue to fix so I guess I'll just pull up the app next time the light comes on to check if that's the issue.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Guillermus posted:

A requeriment would be allowing me to log in with my google account to manage my channel and that stuff.

I love Newpipe, but it's made by those no Gapps / no Google accounts types. It's subscription system is in-app only and doesn't sync with your Google account.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

spincube posted:

Sorry you appear to be receiving turds, sir. Have you tried hitting 'not interested' on things you aren't interested in? :shrug:

I'm starting to think "not interested" is actually a cruel and twisted Book-of-Job-inspired experiment.

I finally told it to stop showing me garbage from BGR, and there is now consistently more (like, a lot) BGR content in my feed than there was before. No, Google, I said I do not want to see endless lists of lovely clickbait affiliate links all day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/12/21/google-opinion-rewards-survey-asks-thoughts-google-feed/

Probably is some elaborate social experiment.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

So I decided to swap to Nova Launcher, and over all I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing I miss about the stock Google Launcher is the Google Feed though. Do you guys have any recommendations for a news widget that mimics the feel of it? Or is there a way to just have Nova and Google Feed at the same time?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Soysaucebeast posted:

So I decided to swap to Nova Launcher, and over all I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing I miss about the stock Google Launcher is the Google Feed though. Do you guys have any recommendations for a news widget that mimics the feel of it? Or is there a way to just have Nova and Google Feed at the same time?

Nova can do the actual Google Now feed but you need to install an additional app from outside the play store:

https://help.teslacoilapps.com/nowcompanion

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

Nova can do the actual Google Now feed but you need to install an additional app from outside the play store:

https://help.teslacoilapps.com/nowcompanion

I'm an idiot and you're awesome. Thank you!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Google Messages is doing this weird thing where I'll send I photo and I'll just see white space in the thread where the image should be. If I back out to the conversations view and go back to the original thread, it shows up just fine. I keep thinking that sending the photo is failing.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Happening here as well

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
SAME poo poo started happening to me but in Hangouts. I went back to an older version of hangouts and this didn't fix it. It's extremely bad.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Google Messages is doing this weird thing where I'll send I photo and I'll just see white space in the thread where the image should be. If I back out to the conversations view and go back to the original thread, it shows up just fine. I keep thinking that sending the photo is failing.

Same here

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

This is a big problem Google has with most of their apps. Basically, they are written poorly and don't refresh or retain their state as they should. Leaving the activity (screen) and returning enacts a refresh that will "fix" most of those issues.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

This is a big problem Google has with most of their apps. Basically, they are written poorly and don't refresh or retain their state as they should. Leaving the activity (screen) and returning enacts a refresh that will "fix" most of those issues.

You're not wrong overall, but this is a new issue with Messages and I've never seen it before today.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's been happening to me for a week or two maybe. Recently

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Scudworth posted:

SAME poo poo started happening to me but in Hangouts. I went back to an older version of hangouts and this didn't fix it. It's extremely bad.

Haven't had this problem in hangouts. (Or Messages, but I don't use that app)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I've been using Hangouts to get around it

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

You're not wrong overall, but this is a new issue with Messages and I've never seen it before today.

All of Google's app use a myriad of server-side switches that change functionality. New features and bugs can show up without an app update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Taffer posted:

All of Google's app use a myriad of server-side switches that change functionality. New features and bugs can show up without an app update.

Correct, I never said there was an update, just that it's a new problem. Not sure what your point is tbh

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Correct, I never said there was an update, just that it's a new problem. Not sure what your point is tbh

its that google is bad

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blue Train posted:

It's been happening to me for a week or two maybe. Recently

Same. Couple of weeks.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What are some good preventive apps against Wap Billing? Maybe adblocker?
It seems there's been a recent rise on these assholes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Android Police recommending a Greenify-alike app today. :/

What year is this? 2012?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Android Police recommending a Greenify-alike app today. :/

What year is this? 2012?

AP kinda sucks in general so, yes?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

AP kinda sucks in general so, yes?

It does? They've always had really good phone reviews.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I haven't found them to suck too much. But...with the decline of Anandtech there's not like soaring standards out there in tech journalism anyway.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Lots of people use greenify still so it doesn't surprise me

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does? They've always had really good phone reviews.

aahahahaha

sure do

I mean they're fine

Their app reviews are often quite off the mark imho but they seem slighted towards hardware stats that make bad phones as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
If anyone has something better for Android related news/reviews than Androidpolice, I'd genuinely like to hear it. The only other resource I seek out is arstechnica stuff when it's written by Amadeo.

EDIT: XDA also seems to be good for really technical stuff and calling out bad update policies, I remember them being the ones who found out about the screen being upside down in the OP5

Incessant Excess fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 30, 2017