Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like the part when you arrive in Fonsett and Rex indirectly threatens to throw Nia off a cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Stuff about Overdrive Protocols being rare
Man that kind of sucks. Doubly so since the game makes you save before you awaken blades so you don't have much control over it.

Do you guys try and keep the roles of all blades on a character the same and just mix up elements, or just go hogwild with whatever you got?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I go hogwild, but I stopped caring about using the new blades I get after like hour 40 because you get so many blades from story and sidequests.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I went hog wild, but got pretty lucky to get 2 rare healing blades on Nia super early (Boreas, Ursula) and then another 2 soon thereafter (Nim, Kora). You can patch most holes with quest rares if you just want to keep everyone in their given role and the RNG is screwing you, though.

Anyway, some AMAZING foreshadowing back in Chapter 5 as regards Chapter 9's ending, major spoilers:

Rex: Will Pyra be OK by herself?
Nia: He's the Praetor, dimwit. What's he gonna do, eat her?

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
70+ hours in, I just figured out that you can hold A to fast-forward through skill checks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doc V posted:

70+ hours in, I just figured out that you can hold A to fast-forward through skill checks.

You just need to tap it once

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I asked the same thing like 80 times. Gotta go to the Gates of Ulcaria skip travel spot. There will be a place nearby you can use ice mastery to make a bridge to another island that if you climb all the way to the top you get a secret location and the Airborne Throne skip travel spot. On that island is an ice ramp that if you slide down will launch you to the island with the quest (It's quest is to go to Airborne Throne).

Hmm, I've been to the airborne throne for Ursula and didn't see a ramp or anything. I'll have to go look again I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

IcePhoenix posted:

Hmm, I've been to the airborne throne for Ursula and didn't see a ramp or anything. I'll have to go look again I guess.

It sticks out on the upper level of that area, also there is no skill check. It just happens,

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Dumb question, but on the blade affinity charts, the first 3 skills (the ones named after special attacks), do they only affect the specials they're named after or are constant?

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Dumb question, but on the blade affinity charts, the first 3 skills (the ones named after special attacks), do they only affect the specials they're named after or are constant?

The red skills only affect the special they are attached to.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ahahaha, Herald does silly amounts of damage thanks to her passives. It's nice having an ether cannon on an attacker character now, too.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Another dumb question: what does Stench actually DO?

Also a less dumb question: any tips for Pernicious Benf? He keeps completely destroying my rear end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

I have no idea but it's incredibly demeaning when an enemy applies a debuff by spraying diarrhea out of its rear end.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I think it prevents you from using specials, unlike blade shackle that also blocks blade arts.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It probably also prevents other things that require close proximity to your Blade, like building Affinity and getting any kind of Affinity Max bonuses.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Edit: Cool Double Post.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

It makes blades stand farther away from their driver, slowing or stopping affinity gain. You also can't use specials when you’re too far from your blade.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Good Citizen posted:

Well i cleared all the floors below the fight before trying it, but it worked on the first time I tried it and I didn’t see a better option

That whole dungeon was a disaster. The waypoint was no help whatsoever and everything looked exactly the same. I wandered around for at least an hour until I figured out where I needed to go (the place you kept wiping). I wiped. Respawned back at the beginning and then couldn't find my way back. I finally figured out how to get back, which was helpful because I wiped three more times.

The way I cleared it was to use Mythra as my starting blade, which let use the grappling hook at the beginning to generate potions and I focused aggro on the bunny. Once he went down, it was easy.

This game is incredible in so many ways but it also has so many bizarre, glaring problems that it makes it hard to recommend it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everyone poo poo talks the old factory but it was insanely easy.

At the same level none of the enemies really had them power to be a threat and I finished it in like 15 minutes, not counting the boss.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everyone poo poo talks the old factory but it was insanely easy.

At the same level none of the enemies really had them power to be a threat and I finished it in like 15 minutes, not counting the boss.

I'm in the middle of the Old Factory and it's just annoying so far.

I was also not too fond of how the game decided to completely stonewall my progress until I shoved several loaves of bread in Poppi's mouth to get a mandatory ability.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MechaX posted:

I'm in the middle of the Old Factory and it's just annoying so far.

I was also not too fond of how the game decided to completely stonewall my progress until I shoved several loaves of bread in Poppi's mouth to get a mandatory ability.

I never had to do that and I barely even use the pouches.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
the biggest problem with the factory is that it shows that the aggro system is completely broken when it comes to closed, walled environments. enemies will detect you and attack through walls like they weren't there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was a few levels overleveled from doing side quests and never even aggro'd a single enemy, which I guess is also an issue but not really a bad one

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
is there any goddamn way to get tora to switch off his third blade once he has it? i can't loving get any of my elemental combos off anymore

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Reiterpallasch posted:

is there any goddamn way to get tora to switch off his third blade once he has it? i can't loving get any of my elemental combos off anymore

I've been having this problem too. I think it's happening because he switches blades back and forth between QT and QTpi to try to help with a driver combo, and then maybe can't blade switch back to Poppi QT in time to finish off a blade combo since she's on cooldown? Also, the AI seems to prioritize driver combo advancement (and bonus damage against a given reaction) over blade combos, also throwing things off a bit.

When I play again, I'll try removing each of the Topple/Launch/Smash skills in turn to see if that fixes it, if no one has a good answer before then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Does the switch have an indicator for low battery? Almost had a couple low sessions with the battery down to like 15%.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

If you're playing in handheld mode it'll pop up in the top left corner and beep when it's at like 10%.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

If you're playing in handheld mode it'll pop up in the top left corner and beep when it's at like 10%.

At 20% as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I’m travelling for the holidays and I didn’t take my switch because lmao so I’m rereading The Dark Kid’s Xenogears LP and two things sprung up in my mind:
1. Wow this game was probably misery to play
2. Why come nobody ever points out Billy and that one Elements girl who looks exactly like Billy look exactly alike

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Invenerable posted:

I've been having this problem too. I think it's happening because he switches blades back and forth between QT and QTpi to try to help with a driver combo, and then maybe can't blade switch back to Poppi QT in time to finish off a blade combo since she's on cooldown? Also, the AI seems to prioritize driver combo advancement (and bonus damage against a given reaction) over blade combos, also throwing things off a bit.

When I play again, I'll try removing each of the Topple/Launch/Smash skills in turn to see if that fixes it, if no one has a good answer before then.

this was 100% it. i was fighting the 117 superboss and tora was apparently trying to break over and over instead of doing anything productive. taking away his break actions let me stack 8 orbs, do 9999999 damage, and...die because the boss has way more hp than that. oops.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Do you have to do every one of Ursula's fan gathering missions to get her to 5000 fans? I haven't gashaponed into a third Fortitude blade and if I got all three stats to full. Now the stat checker is missing from the playhouse and I'm so tired of this quest.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

brand engager posted:

We died right after

You died to the 15k bullshit tail sweep too, huh?

Sadie is a world class rear end in a top hat.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Invenerable posted:

I'm unsure where all I found my few in the field, or which ones they're talking about in your quoted post, but I got another one upon finishing Rex's personal grid thingy, so I figure you get another 5 from those. Honestly can't see needing many more than that unless you are just terminally unlucky or 100% anal retentive about your blade distribution.

Ah, yeah, though I think most people won't complete those grids unless they do considerable post-game content (I'm level 70 and still have like ~9000-10000 points left to fill them out).

But yeah, the 8 you can get from the game (ignoring releasing completed 4* commons) + the 3 from expansion pass is enough to get all rare blades on the characters you want, provided you're not extremely unlucky and don't waste any.

Btw, Dagas's side quest is pretty cool/fun. Dagas should take over as the protagonist after it.

edit: Speaking of rare blades, there's a distinct lack of elemental variety for healing blades. All healing blades are wind, water, electric, or ice, with the exception of one rare earth healing blade. I often have to do more finagling with my tank and DPS to make sure I have the full elemental spread.

edit2: One other thing - is it just me, or should Ursula's "Heals 40% of party's HP upon performing a Blade Switch" be ridiculously good if the healer is controlled by the player? You can switch blades really quickly if you're cancelling out of driver arts, and that's like a free big heal art every 15-20 seconds.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 26, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Speaking of rare blades, there's a distinct lack of elemental variety for healing blades. All healing blades are wind, water, electric, or ice, with the exception of one rare earth healing blade. I often have to do more finagling with my tank and DPS to make sure I have the full elemental spread.

Each of wind, ice, electric, and earth has a Bitball and a Knuckle Claws healer. The only water one is Dromarch. But yes, no fire, light, or dark.

quote:

edit2: One other thing - is it just me, or should Ursula's "Heals 40% of party's HP upon performing a Blade Switch" be ridiculously good if the healer is controlled by the player? You can switch blades really quickly if you're cancelling out of driver arts, and that's like a free big heal art every 15-20 seconds.

It is very good in the hands of the player. It’s slightly unfortunate that Knuckle Claws don’t give any driver combo moves to Rex, who is otherwise the best character for the player to control, but you can abuse the accessories that speed up blade switches and give you extra damage for each blade switch.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 26, 2017

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I finished it at around 100 hours. Well, I beat the final boss, anyway. There's a lot of side content obviously but I don't really feel all that compelled to engage with it.
Stray thoughts:

Watching Indol and the TornaBot fighting in the background was really cool, and that almost makes up for everything from Chapter 8 onward being a straight line.
It felt like there were a lot of fake outs in the game, and I can't really tell how much of it was intentional and how much was because of a time crunch. I really expected to have to fight Pyra's giant robot or Mythra's Siren or TornaBot. And it also felt like Lora's body, and Adam, and Rex's parents would have had... more. But again, I can't tell if they intentionally set out to buck expectations ("Haha y'all thought Rex's parents were gonna matter at all!"), or if they just ran out of time to go anywhere with it. I'd believe either, because they could barely stuff for Morag and Zeke to do.
Also the final boss was super lame and I was waiting for a second form.
Xenoblade 2 suffers from being a sequel, so the endgame stuff felt much less interesting than when it happened in Xenoblade 1. Though I guess it was supposed to be mindblowing that this was a sidequel? It probably doesn't help that most of the design in the final areas is kind of bland, while X1 had Prison Island's ridiculous heavy metal cover aesthetic happening.
I wonder how Xenogears would have felt if it hadn't had the opening anime scene with the spaceship?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TurnipFritter posted:

I finished it at around 100 hours. Well, I beat the final boss, anyway. There's a lot of side content obviously but I don't really feel all that compelled to engage with it.
Stray thoughts:

Watching Indol and the TornaBot fighting in the background was really cool, and that almost makes up for everything from Chapter 8 onward being a straight line.
It felt like there were a lot of fake outs in the game, and I can't really tell how much of it was intentional and how much was because of a time crunch. I really expected to have to fight Pyra's giant robot or Mythra's Siren or TornaBot. And it also felt like Lora's body, and Adam, and Rex's parents would have had... more. But again, I can't tell if they intentionally set out to buck expectations ("Haha y'all thought Rex's parents were gonna matter at all!"), or if they just ran out of time to go anywhere with it. I'd believe either, because they could barely stuff for Morag and Zeke to do.
Also the final boss was super lame and I was waiting for a second form.
Xenoblade 2 suffers from being a sequel, so the endgame stuff felt much less interesting than when it happened in Xenoblade 1. Though I guess it was supposed to be mindblowing that this was a sidequel? It probably doesn't help that most of the design in the final areas is kind of bland, while X1 had Prison Island's ridiculous heavy metal cover aesthetic happening.
I wonder how Xenogears would have felt if it hadn't had the opening anime scene with the spaceship?

I disagree a bit; Seeing that the Land of Morytha is Earth is majorly mindblowing if you've finished Xenoblade Chronicles, because now you know exactly who the Architect is and how badly things can possibly go by the end. Not to mention knowing what and where Elysium is once you get up there and see the satellite platform from the outside.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Getting too strong
https://twitter.com/NSwonch/status/945498715061501952
:eyepop:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

There's a couple of minor spoilers in that image, FYI.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
What’s everyone’s preferred VA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just found out that you can grind trust by mass-purchasing bag items (food, drinks, etc) and repeatedly using them. It's actually fairly fast and you can just do something else while mashing A, as long as you use an item that isn't the liked/favorite of any of the blades on that character. This method more or less requires having the lifestyle item quantity upgrades, though.

This is particularly useful because, while you get plenty of trust for the blades you use while progressing through the story and doing quests, it can be tough to get trust afterwards.

edit: It's funny how despite all the ridiculous annoying design choices in this game, there are occasionally things that are actually really helpful, like the fact that it shows field skill checks you haven't passed on the travel map.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What’s everyone’s preferred VA?

I dunno which character/language you're referring to, but I like the Japanese VA for Pandoria.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 26, 2017