Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Got Mario for my Switch

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Figured out my RL problem. No need to connect the new joycons with SL+SR, you just press any button on them to make them sync, then you can use player 1's joycon (which is already properly set up as a single joycon) to select the local account to use. Once you pick the account, it'll take you to the controller-pairing screen where you can set the new one up as a single. It'll try to make you log in to a Nintendo account after that, but you can just cancel out of it with no ill effects.

The thing that was really tripping me up was the inability to actually select an account to use when the joycon was being automatically recognized as half of a pair, but being able to use a different controller to make the selection got me past that.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
I did the jump rope in a small handful of tries with no glitching or cheesing. Same with Darker Side. Was expecting a lot worse from all they were talked about. Not yet done the volleyball at all. I'm more worried about trying to figure out the painting moons and all the regional coins without using a guide.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Hi everyone, I have a switch now. Mario is cool and I haven't even touched Zelda yet.

Also everyone in the house keeps stealing it :3:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Merry Christmas everyone, and don't buy Tiny Metal

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I did the jump rope to x100 on the first try. Have you all not been playing mario since you were 4?? Come on!

Seriously Idk how I managed that blind.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
you know after getting all but a couple handful of moons i gotta say that it's probably best that you don't play mario odyssey that way. the game's at it's worst when you're sifting through old moons trying to figure out whether you were in an area before, or if you already did a particular activity. even if you bought clues to all the moons, having the moons location pinpointed on the minimap kinda takes something away from the experience

instead just play it to "journey's end" and leave it at that, the rest of the moons you missed can be new content to stumble across when you replay the game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you throw the hat at the apex of every jump after like 30, you can hold the button to control when you fall so you dont get hit and rack up like 2-3 jumps per actual jump. The rope has no hitbox in the air

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I’ve been playing odyssey for, like, 30 min and it’s been relentlessly satisfying the entire time.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Bloop posted:

It's finicky. Search for a video.

Also I can say it remains unpatched as of this morning.

Has there been any exploits that have been patched? In any Nintendo game released in the past year? Cause I feel like Nintendo has no intention of doing so. Whether that's good or not is up for debate.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Suggestions for SDXC cards? Trying to decide between 128 and 256gb, but I dunno how much brand affects that.

200 GB is the sweet spot, IMO. The 256 GB cards I’ve seen are around twice as expensive as the 200 GB alternative for like, 20% more storage. Not worth it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I enjoy odyssey fine but I am very much not blown away by it. It's very much a mario game and doesn't really do anything new.

I remember people bitching about the lack of story in BotW, but, dude, the story hasn't changed in mario land since the first game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There is a dog in a fedora.

The fedora has ear holes

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

This time Bowser has a cool hat.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There is a dog in a fedora.

The fedora has ear holes

This is not a positive

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i saw people getting real mad about the ending so that makes the game real good to me

peach """friendzoning""" mario

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This is not a positive

Okay, but check this out:
you can throw your hat to play fetch with the dog.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

underage at the vape shop posted:

i saw people getting real mad about the ending so that makes the game real good to me

peach """friendzoning""" mario

Yeah, that owned.

Just cause she’s kissed your nose a few times doesn’t mean she wants to marry you, Mario.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Peach is a modern gal who don't need no man

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lord Frisk posted:

I enjoy odyssey fine but I am very much not blown away by it. It's very much a mario game and doesn't really do anything new.

I remember people bitching about the lack of story in BotW, but, dude, the story hasn't changed in mario land since the first game.

:sad:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mutant Standard posted:

you know after getting all but a couple handful of moons i gotta say that it's probably best that you don't play mario odyssey that way. the game's at it's worst when you're sifting through old moons trying to figure out whether you were in an area before, or if you already did a particular activity. even if you bought clues to all the moons, having the moons location pinpointed on the minimap kinda takes something away from the experience

instead just play it to "journey's end" and leave it at that, the rest of the moons you missed can be new content to stumble across when you replay the game

The hidden moons are pretty lame. The ones that are visible but require some fancy platforming to get to are way more satisfying.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got the very last moon.

All the moons are good.

Except two.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

This time Bowser has a cool hat.

And some slick hair.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I found Dark Side harder than Darker Side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

I did the jump rope to x100 on the first try. Have you all not been playing mario since you were 4?? Come on!

Seriously Idk how I managed that blind.

The speed increase at the 49th jump is what probably does most people in, because after that it's all a steady rhythm.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Welp, my brother gave me a Switch as a surprise Christmas present, and it totally rocks! I've had a PS4/VR for the longest time, now I need to start paying attention to which games are exclusive for which and all that jazz now. I've got Zelda (of course), and the next on my list to get is Odyssey for obvious reasons. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Hopefully the Bayonetta runs great on it, and apparently there's a new Prime game coming? Sweet

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sentient Data posted:

Welp, my brother gave me a Switch as a surprise Christmas present, and it totally rocks! I've had a PS4/VR for the longest time, now I need to start paying attention to which games are exclusive for which and all that jazz now. I've got Zelda (of course), and the next on my list to get is Odyssey for obvious reasons. Beyond that, I'm not really sure. Hopefully the Bayonetta runs great on it, and apparently there's a new Prime game coming? Sweet

Mario Kart and Splatoon are also musts imo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

Mario Kart is probably the only other 'Must' must have atm

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So my brother got a Switch recently and I'll probably be getting the money for one in the near future, and I have a few questions:

* Each profile has their own eShop account and balance, right? If I merge funds from the 3DS version onto my profile and transfer that profile to my switch in the future, that won't screw anything up, right?
* Can I go ahead and register friends on my profile? All that will transfer over too, right?
* Do saved games from eShop games I do not own (ones my brother bought) get transferred over so I can use them in the future when I buy those games myself?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I like my Nintendo switch, and what about those games?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I like my Nintendo switch, and what about those games?

They're good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Infinitum posted:

Mario Kart is probably the only other 'Must' must have atm

I don't own Mario Kart, so it's not a must.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm sorry about your brain problems

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Where can I find a physical copy of Skyrim, or is it digital only?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sentient Data posted:

Play zelda and let it take over your soul, my friend.

Also :siren: :siren: :siren:attention all new switchavers :siren: :siren: :siren:

This thread is cool and good and we are all friends here

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Knifegrab posted:

Where can I find a physical copy of Skyrim, or is it digital only?

Literally anywhere, I can't imagine copies are flying off the shelves

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Play zelda and let it take over your soul, my friend.

Also :siren: :siren: :siren:attention all new switchavers :siren: :siren: :siren:

This thread is cool and good and we are all friends here
You don't have to be a Nintendo fan in general; I mostly poo poo on Nintendo consoles and I was suspicious of the Switch at first but now I know it's the best hardware they've made for a long time and I want everything but the most high end games to be on it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want even high end games to get ports if they’re as good as the Doom one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want even high end games to get ports if they’re as good as the Doom one.

If I can get portable Dark Souls I'll be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Matt Zerella posted:

If I can get portable Dark Souls I'll be very happy.

They're announcing it at the upcoming Bandai Namco conference I swear

• Locked thread