Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
when anybody writes "Pay attention to what I'm about to say." i immediately tune them out because its probably a bad opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

FamDav posted:

when anybody writes "Pay attention to what I'm about to say."

nice try

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Grassy Knowles posted:

sounds like processor throttling to me

drat forced obsolescence, mate

im so sick of forced adolescence

let my phones grow up at their own goddamn pace

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, 9/11 was an inside job

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

can confirm my mother is v much enjoying her stebephone xmas present

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

https://twitter.com/danluu/status/945041778121629697

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
weird how the lisp machine is dead last

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iOS already has a low-power mode. do your cpu throttling shenanigans then.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yeah, just put your phone in low power mode so the battery doesn't pop

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

That Is Not How That Works

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so iphone users experiencing same thing that my nexus had when oreo was released

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

so iphone users experiencing same thing that my nexus had when oreo was released

you doubtfully experienced poorly explained battery life stability treatment

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have no idea what you just said but this poo poo is slow as gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he said your phone sucks but it's not because they were trying to make it work for longer on an aging battery

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oic thx

it's a nexus 5x and there's delays on everything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

oic thx

it's a nexus 5x and there's delays on everything

nexus 5 here :v: i have daily 30-60 second freezes, occasionally forcing me to restart the system

pram
Jun 10, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

weird how the lisp machine is dead last

lisp is the worlds slowest language

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

the 70s were fuckin wild man

like lisp is basically as completely illegible as brainfuck but it’s a legitimate language simply because it was invented in a time where computer people were like “yeah gently caress it why not”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

the 70s were fuckin wild man

like lisp is basically as completely illegible as brainfuck but it’s a legitimate language simply because it was invented in a time where computer people were like “yeah gently caress it why not”

a time when people punched instructions into paper and fed them into the big metal box to get different punch cards out

the past sucks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

a time when people punched instructions into paper and fed them into the big metal box to get different punch cards out

the past sucks

my grandma did that

it was supposed to be the wave of the future

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
didn't paul graham make all his money using lisp to make shopping cart software that he eventually sold to yahoo?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
illegible 1960s garbage:
(let ((foo bar))
(lambda (butts) dongs))

legible modern code:
(function(){let foo=bar
return function(butts){dongs}})()

ahh, progress

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

people complaining about lisp syntax being illegible is the surest sign that you can ignore their opinions on these things. often they imagine unindented one-liner lisp, which makes any language hard to read (but lisp, granted, extra so without editor support, since the bracketing is so uniform)

plenty of other things sort of wrong with lisp, but there really is no problem reading it with like 15 minutes practice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Chris Knight posted:

didn't paul graham make all his money using lisp to make shopping cart software that he eventually sold to yahoo?

yep

and they promptly re-wrote the package in something un-lispy

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Mr. Graham: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. Graham: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. Graham: Macros.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
u dont understand. lisp made his company UNBEATABLE. they could implement a new feature on their shopping cart page in like four hours instead of the five weeks it took their noob c++ competitors

havent u read his blog

here's a printed copy i carry in my car

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it begiiiins....

evidently analysts have decided that a premium price point might limit demand for a product, amazing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its also a subpar product

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

all they need to do is start studding it with swarovski crystal and add hand-sewn leather accents and they can take over where vertu left off

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
great job tim, no one bought the 8 because they were waiting for the X, no one bought the X because it’s too expensive and shittier than the 8

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tfw you osborne yourself with an inferior product

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

creationist believer posted:

great job tim, no one bought the 8 because they were waiting for the X, no one bought the X because it’s too expensive and shittier than the 8

I bought both and can confirm the 8 is just nicer to use, and the X is a bit more annoying to use, big screen is cool and all but I've entered my password more times with Face ID than I did in the past 5 years I had Touch ID

still, I can't believe loving Samsung phones were literally exploding, banned in flights (specifically, by name) and people are buying them again

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
my coworker bought a galaxy phone because it came with a free hdtv

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

it begiiiins....

evidently analysts have decided that a premium price point might limit demand for a product, amazing.

this is good

if ONLY that it makes them focus harder on whats worthwhile instead of pie in the sky poo poo

like on the other hand someone was complaining that new iphones are just more of the same, but thats ok??? just make it less likely to smash the glass

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I bought both and can confirm the 8 is just nicer to use, and the X is a bit more annoying to use, big screen is cool and all but I've entered my password more times with Face ID than I did in the past 5 years I had Touch ID

still, I can't believe loving Samsung phones were literally exploding, banned in flights (specifically, by name) and people are buying them again

Every time I’ve seen someone use Face ID it takes a few tries. Touch ID works great though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when face id doesn't work or, congratulations, your face is as gnarled and calloused as a day labourer's thumb

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i'd think that'd make their face more unique and easier to face id

unless they look like the goonies guy and face id simply dont recognize that disfigured blob of flesh as a face

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(((lisp programmers)))

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

when face id doesn't work or, congratulations, your face is as gnarled and calloused as a day labourer's thumb

it ain't my bitch, that's apple's problem to solve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

brap posted:

(((lisp programmers)))