Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What’s everyone’s preferred VA?

Nia's welsh VA. She needed better direction for some of the more high-emotion scenes, but by-and-large she owned Nia as her own character over what I'm guessing is a cliche over-acting catgirl character in the Japanese dialogue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What’s everyone’s preferred VA?

When the English character trailer came out I was pretty harsh on them but I couldn't imagine ever playing this with the japanese VAs, everyone is so perfect for their character, outside Morag (who isn't really bad, just not memorable).

please tell me where you got that

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The english is awful on some characters, and if I heard them in some of the later game's scenes, it would be worse than Chaos War for me. Almost every time Mythra speaks, it's basically a coin flip if she got the emotion of the scene right.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah, Nia's English voice is so clearly the standout in this cast that I really don't care what the character was "intended" to sound like in the writers' minds. I also like Rex's voice, though there are definitely times where both of them aren't as emotional as the scene clearly meant for them to be. I got to (Chapter 7) the scene where he first unleashes the third blade against Malos and Jin and while the VA was clearly trying his best, it wasn't quite as good as it should have been.

I can't imagine what this game must sound like in Japanese.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

The english is awful on some characters, and if I heard them in some of the later game's scenes, it would be worse than Chaos War for me. Almost every time Mythra speaks, it's basically a coin flip if she got the emotion of the scene right.

To be fair, some of that is probably having to flip between Pyra's voice as well for god-knows-how-many hours of dialogue. That's a pretty big challenge for a VA role.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

When the English character trailer came out I was pretty harsh on them but I couldn't imagine ever playing this with the japanese VAs, everyone is so perfect for their character, outside Morag (who isn't really bad, just not memorable).

please tell me where you got that

I don't know for sure but I think it dropped from that t-rex NM I killed yesterday.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Momomo posted:

Yeah, Nia's English voice is so clearly the standout in this cast that I really don't care what the character was "intended" to sound like in the writers' minds. I also like Rex's voice, though there are definitely times where both of them aren't as emotional as the scene clearly meant for them to be. I got to (Chapter 7) the scene where he first unleashes the third blade against Malos and Jin and while the VA was clearly trying his best, it wasn't quite as good as it should have been.

I can't imagine what this game must sound like in Japanese.

Nia is a squealing baby voice in JP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I disagree a bit; Seeing that the Land of Morytha is Earth is majorly mindblowing if you've finished Xenoblade Chronicles, because now you know exactly who the Architect is and how badly things can possibly go by the end. Not to mention knowing what and where Elysium is once you get up there and see the satellite platform from the outside.

I think I really missed out by failing to beat the final boss in 1 and watch the ending. Does the first game explicitly say "this used to be earth and this used to be some researcher guy on an orbital platform"?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like most of the JP VA but I so strongly preferred English Rex and Nia that i stuck with that instead. Also Amathatober ftw.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Kora's mission return lines are the best two lines in the game, especially the one where they have to go eat dinner. Those have to be ad libbed right? I wonder what she says in Japanese. Nia is great though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pollyanna posted:

I think I really missed out by failing to beat the final boss in 1 and watch the ending. Does the first game explicitly say "this used to be earth and this used to be some researcher guy on an orbital platform"?

Very much so, yes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno which character/language you're referring to, but I like the Japanese VA for Pandoria.

Oh but I love her English VA. I like how Zeke sounds shouting "PandOOOOOriah!" during battle too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know if the Japanese voices have a similar thing, but I like that the accents the characters have seem to be dependent on the character's region of origin, and that all of the blades are nondescript American (except the Texan ones). I haven't heard enough of Mythra to know if she's really inconsistent, but her introduction at least is good. But I also kinda like less bombastic voice acting on some characters to balance out the more exaggerated ones.

Also yeah, Welsh Nia definitely steals the show.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pollyanna posted:

Yes. They even used the Xenoblade 1 art style for Klaus and Galtea in Xenoblade 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

I don't know if the Japanese voices have a similar thing, but I like that the accents the characters have seem to be dependent on the character's region of origin, and that all of the blades are nondescript American (except the Texan ones). I haven't heard enough of Mythra to know if she's really inconsistent, but her introduction at least is good. But I also kinda like less bombastic voice acting on some characters to balance out the more exaggerated ones.

I am really impressed at the effort they went to diversifying the Titan national accents like that, because that can't be an easy thing to set up for casting main roles and secondary characters. Especially with Australians in the mix.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The problem with Rex's english VA is that he can't yell for poo poo

As in he literally reads the line "AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAI" with the Ai at the end, which you're not supposed to do

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Just hit trust rank S3 and autoattack went up some more to 1147. :ssj:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Picturing Rex swapping to mythra in battle, and his arms becoming freakishly swole

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tae posted:

The problem with Rex's english VA is that he can't yell for poo poo

As in he literally reads the line "AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAI" with the Ai at the end, which you're not supposed to do

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYya

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How do you get Trust above S? Is it just a hidden counter after you finish their affinity chart?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

bef posted:

AYYYYYYYYYYYYYya

I don't remember any yelling like that from him, but I do remember Nia's "AIAIAIAIAIAIAIAIIAIAIAIAIAIA" whenever she uses a special.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
The goon still has not answered where to get that chip

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Centzon Totochtin posted:

brand engager posted:

I don't know for sure but I think it dropped from that t-rex NM I killed yesterday.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also I've been hoarding boosters to try and dump a ton of wind boosters at once to try and get Zenobia on Zeke and found out that you can only use five at a time lol

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I just wanted to confirm that Dagas's sidequest is indeed cool and fun and makes Dagas a pretty enjoyable minor character. He's currently my favorite of the three rare axes I have, but I guess that may change when I hunt down all the dumb monsters for Zenobia.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
spinnnnnning edge

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

brand engager posted:

Just hit trust rank S3 and autoattack went up some more to 1147. :ssj:

:wtc:

I barely got around to unlocking her last affinity tier after I beat that game, wtf is with the S1+ affinity stuff? Just keep using them after filling out the board?

Those chips drop from various high level enemies. They're decent for attackers but you still want gold chips on your tank until you can get the best tanking chips... which I think are a finite amount (10?) that cannot be farmed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got Vale, leaving 4 more rare blades left to acquire, all from random cores. It's nice to have another dark blade; it frees up my tank to use someone other than Kasandra in that slot.

Her ability that increases damage dealt by 50% each time a special is used (up to 300%) seems really, really good for long fights (which are the only fights you'd care about to begin with), since it seems like it would always cap out. The "increases damage from the side by 100%" is also pretty good, since you can probably reliably stay on the side for most of the fight. The only thing that could make it not-good is if the buff resets when you change blades, but I can't imagine that would be the case.

I also just finished the quest to get Theory. Hopefully she has some cutscene stuff now that she's reunited with Praxis. Got Poppi's third form also, which is kinda disturbing since her voice is the same despite having an adult body.

edit: It's annoying how weapon skills are specific to the character in question. I want to use Five instead of Rex as my DPS, but I'll ultimately probably end up needing to use Rex for the hardest fights (especially since he's currently my only source of Light specials until I get KOS-MOS). But that means double the weapon skill points I have to invest.

For the time being I'm just getting Rex up to level 3 with his relevant weapons (except for Pyra's, which I max), since that doesn't take many weapon skill points. I guess weapon skills aren't a huge deal for most weapons; cooldown actually isn't that important, since you'll usually be switching blades anyways and the skill will be back up by the time you switch back. They only seem to matter for stuff with some percent modifier that goes up, like the "Increases aggro from driver arts by X%" skills.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Oh but I love her English VA. I like how Zeke sounds shouting "PandOOOOOriah!" during battle too

Both Zeke and Pandoria have strong kansai accents in Japanese and Pandoria's sounds really adorable.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 26, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poppi's voice is definitely noticeably "older" in each of her forms, though I suppose if you're using the inferior japanese voices it wouldn't shock me if they don't change it.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

You probably want to spec mythra for crit, anyway. Go for a Mirror Matter chip (Misdan Pippitos in Temperantia) and that'll tide you over until you get a better crit chip from one of the postgame bosses.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

When a blade needs a specific set of monsters to kill to level a thing, does the game's ui tell you with icons or something when you've found one of the monsters or do I have to hunt them down?

I'd prefer to roam around the areas and just kill the things that are marked but I assume the game only marks quest monsters

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
Taking a big ol’ poo poo while performing driver combos is now my favorite pasttime. Thank you, Nintendo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I am enjoying this video game, but for me almost every aspect of it is just not quite as good as XC1 (or no where near as good as XC1 in a couple of areas). I really enjoy the goofy tone and characters though. Only 10 hours or so in, so some of that may change, but at the moment a little disappointed. A lot of the quest/social/town type stuff seems a little incomplete and unpolished and there are a few areas where the interface just seems rushed and doesn't really fit with the level of presentation in the rest of the game. Having fun though, so will keep going.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ytlaya posted:

I just got Vale, leaving 4 more rare blades left to acquire, all from random cores. It's nice to have another dark blade; it frees up my tank to use someone other than Kasandra in that slot.

Her ability that increases damage dealt by 50% each time a special is used (up to 300%) seems really, really good for long fights (which are the only fights you'd care about to begin with), since it seems like it would always cap out. The "increases damage from the side by 100%" is also pretty good, since you can probably reliably stay on the side for most of the fight. The only thing that could make it not-good is if the buff resets when you change blades, but I can't imagine that would be the case.

I also just finished the quest to get Theory. Hopefully she has some cutscene stuff now that she's reunited with Praxis. Got Poppi's third form also, which is kinda disturbing since her voice is the same despite having an adult body.

edit: It's annoying how weapon skills are specific to the character in question. I want to use Five instead of Rex as my DPS, but I'll ultimately probably end up needing to use Rex for the hardest fights (especially since he's currently my only source of Light specials until I get KOS-MOS). But that means double the weapon skill points I have to invest.

For the time being I'm just getting Rex up to level 3 with his relevant weapons (except for Pyra's, which I max), since that doesn't take many weapon skill points. I guess weapon skills aren't a huge deal for most weapons; cooldown actually isn't that important, since you'll usually be switching blades anyways and the skill will be back up by the time you switch back. They only seem to matter for stuff with some percent modifier that goes up, like the "Increases aggro from driver arts by X%" skills.

Both Zeke and Pandoria have strong kansai accents in Japanese and Pandoria's sounds really adorable.

Just an FYI, you need to get Praxis all the way up to level 5 to unlock a sidequest involving both Praxis and Theory.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

voltcatfish posted:

When a blade needs a specific set of monsters to kill to level a thing, does the game's ui tell you with icons or something when you've found one of the monsters or do I have to hunt them down?

I'd prefer to roam around the areas and just kill the things that are marked but I assume the game only marks quest monsters
Nope. You just get a silent counter ticking up on their affinity chart, and when it’s done you get the notification that it’s done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Gravy Jones posted:

I am enjoying this video game, but for me almost every aspect of it is just not quite as good as XC1 (or no where near as good as XC1 in a couple of areas). I really enjoy the goofy tone and characters though. Only 10 hours or so in, so some of that may change, but at the moment a little disappointed. A lot of the quest/social/town type stuff seems a little incomplete and unpolished and there are a few areas where the interface just seems rushed and doesn't really fit with the level of presentation in the rest of the game. Having fun though, so will keep going.

It unfortunately gets worse. It's definitely not as good as XC1.

I'm finding myself getting more annoyed by how they reply when you're talking to a random NPC with a star. Character four's blade asking if character four has heard about this or Pyra saying "We should help, Rex!" when they're just saying random stuff is dumb. Sometimes it genuinely makes no sense relating to what they're saying as well. It takes me out of the game and I'm clicking through the dialogue just because I feel I've got to do it.

I also really wish there was a way to see what sort of blade you're unlocking. I got the Lucky Core based on the advice in here. Incidentally - I used a youtube guide and in that the player found a key for the gate. It was lying on the floor in the secret area of Mor Ardain. How are you meant to know about that? So loving stupid.
Anyway - the blade was a TNK and I really wish I could have given it to character 4 but I gave it to 5 and I haven't got any overdrives. It's so frustrating! She feels wasted now since I'm never going to use 5.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taear posted:

It unfortunately gets worse. It's definitely not as good as XC1.

I'm finding myself getting more annoyed by how they reply when you're talking to a random NPC with a star. Character four's blade asking if character four has heard about this or Pyra saying "We should help, Rex!" when they're just saying random stuff is dumb. Sometimes it genuinely makes no sense relating to what they're saying as well. It takes me out of the game and I'm clicking through the dialogue just because I feel I've got to do it.

I also really wish there was a way to see what sort of blade you're unlocking. I got the Lucky Core based on the advice in here. Incidentally - I used a youtube guide and in that the player found a key for the gate. It was lying on the floor in the secret area of Mor Ardain. How are you meant to know about that? So loving stupid.
Anyway - the blade was a TNK and I really wish I could have given it to character 4 but I gave it to 5 and I haven't got any overdrives. It's so frustrating! She feels wasted now since I'm never going to use 5.

You can just return them to their Crystal by Releasing them and resonating with the Driver you want.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can just return them to their Crystal by Releasing them and resonating with the Driver you want.

Are you kidding.
I just assumed I'd lose the core if I did that since when you return normal blades those cores are gone.

God dammit this game is loving poo poo at telling you anything!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Taear posted:

Are you kidding.
I just assumed I'd lose the core if I did that since when you return normal blades those cores are gone.

God dammit this game is loving poo poo at telling you anything!

What he said is very misleading, you do not get that exact core left they just go back to the pool of rares available and you have to just hope the other person pulls it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Very much so, yes.

I’ll go YouTube it :saddowns: