Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got 33 in my first ride up 285 and 85 doing about 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Used drift mode for the first time in a snowy parking lot. I still can't smiling, holy poo poo this car is amazing.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

TraderStav posted:

Pretty good. Will be able to finance a portion of it on mileage savings alone. Getting 18-19 in my explorer currently.

I'm coming from a Grand Cherokee that, on a really good day, would get 16ish in mixed freeway/city driving. I've driven about 200 miles in the GTI and still have half a tank, where the Jeep would be dinging for a fill up in a couple of days. So yeah, the mpg even in just 3 days is saving money.

Larrymer posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was dissing your brand new car. I too wonder if it's really worth it for me sometimes since I rarely put it in sport mode and put regular gas in it because the power is good 'nuff like that. :v: Glad you're enjoying it. :)

No worries!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 25, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was dissing your brand new car. I too wonder if it's really worth it for me sometimes since I rarely put it in sport mode and put regular gas in it because the power is good 'nuff like that. :v: Glad you're enjoying it. :)

The sport mode is on the S too man, it's not a reason to get a sport trim. If you are in a situation where you want to maximize on demand power delivery, you can use sport mode to achieve that specific goal. It's not an everyday setting for the vast majority of people. This is a common misconception. It doesn't even do much, if anything, for your 0-60.

Also regular gas is fine IMO unless you are getting an R.The non-R 2016-2017 GTI's don't even specify premium, though there are some benefits. Generally though I think that people get emotional about the octane they use and tend to leave objectivity at the door. At the end of the day, use the gas that makes you feel better/cooler/etc. because it's not going to make a huge difference.

The sports trim is not about pure performance. You get the brakes, you get the excellent LSD. Both of these features will serve you well in many situations that don't include being a boy racer. They're simply valuable features that enhance the experience of nearly everyone.

Then you get numerous quality of life features that have nothing to do with performance, but instead serve to bring the car up to modern standards, and at a price level that is a no brainer. Not to mention the sweet upgraded wheels, which aren't going to change your life but it will up the resale value of your ride and look awesome.

Like, I honestly can't understand a lack of keyless entry/ push to start in 2017, and the halogen headlights are just bad.

Especially on a car that otherwise has amazing quality of construction and a pseudo-Audi class interior. It just serves to make the missing features more obvious and out of sync with the overall nature of the vehicle.

Taima fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 26, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's because I've never had it but push start doesn't seem like a must have to me.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Eifert Posting posted:

Maybe it's because I've never had it but push start doesn't seem like a must have to me.

Never having to take the key or of your pocket is nice. Not life changing but it's hard to go back once you have it.

Sport vs non: on paper its the one I wanted but don't know if I really needed it. The combo of features is perfect but does a middle aged man like myself really need the bigger brakes and LSD? 99% of the time probably not but I suppose it's nice to have. I do like the wheels better than the standard ones, though.

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
I felt the same way until I got my Focus. Being able to leave your keys in your pocket as you open the door and start the car is a huge convenience. You'll miss it as soon as you sit in another car.

Edit: I would have posted that sooner but I was fumbling for my keys. . . . .

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Can anyone with a Mk7 or Mk7.5 GTI let me know how your engine compartment is painted?

I noticed today that under the hood the paint on my car is a dull / matte red, i.e. there is no clear-coat.

I assume this is normal, just wanting to confirm.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Am I weird for hating the "upgraded" wheels on mk7's? Most of the reason I just stuck with a base.

Crescendo posted:

Can anyone with a Mk7 or Mk7.5 GTI let me know how your engine compartment is painted?

I noticed today that under the hood the paint on my car is a dull / matte red, i.e. there is no clear-coat.

I assume this is normal, just wanting to confirm.

Yes, normal, as in most vehicles.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

One other thing I've been reading about is ceramic coating vs a good sealant. I've watched youtubes of how to apply the ceramic stuff so I'm basically an internet expert, but in reality do you guys have any first hand experience with either the ceramic or a synthetic sealant?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Crunchy Black posted:

Am I weird for hating the "upgraded" wheels on mk7's? Most of the reason I just stuck with a base.

are you referring to the nogaro wheels? yeah they arent great but i dont like the austins much either.

i moved to aftermarket wheels pretty quickly

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Nobody makes a green AWD hatch anymore :(

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Larrymer posted:

Sport vs non: on paper its the one I wanted but don't know if I really needed it. The combo of features is perfect but does a middle aged man like myself really need the bigger brakes and LSD? 99% of the time probably not but I suppose it's nice to have. I do like the wheels better than the standard ones, though.

Middle age bros :respek:

Like I mentioned earlier, 20 years ago I would've tracked down a Sport model just for the LSD and brakes, but I'm pretty pragmatic about my own cars so the S was my sweet spot. Plus I just didn't want to spend the extra money, as relatively not-expensive as it is. I mean, the fact that I'm even asking about a $500+ ceramic coat makes me cringe a little because the car I just sold got washed a few times a year and a coat of wax when I thought about it. I was surprised at the compliments I got from the guy who bought it because I didn't feel like I did that much for it.

Anyway, too many words. Maybe drive both an S and a Sport for comparison.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

a mysterious cloak posted:

One other thing I've been reading about is ceramic coating vs a good sealant. I've watched youtubes of how to apply the ceramic stuff so I'm basically an internet expert, but in reality do you guys have any first hand experience with either the ceramic or a synthetic sealant?

Ceramic coating is the bees knees. But I would definitely spring for a higher grade product and have it professionally applied in multiple coats.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm at a weird point in my middle aged life where my three must-wants are:

Keyless start
Remote start
Manual transmission

Pick 2 :(

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

I've done ceramic coating and highly recommend it. Whether you do a ceramic or sealant, the hard part is polishing beforehand. So you might as well spring for the ceramic.

See my posts in the detailing thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=63#post474020997

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=68#post479176308

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I'm at a weird point in my middle aged life where my three must-wants are:

Keyless start
Remote start
Manual transmission

Pick 2 :(

Where did you find a MT car that comes with remote start from the factory?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

KillHour posted:

Where did you find a MT car that comes with remote start from the factory?

I forgot to qualify that you couldn't pick THOSE two. :)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

are you referring to the nogaro wheels? yeah they arent great but i dont like the austins much either.

i moved to aftermarket wheels pretty quickly

Yeah, I ditched the Austins pretty quick. Enkei Raijins are rad.

Not my pic, but same wheels.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

I forgot to qualify that you couldn't pick THOSE two. :)

Buy a MT car with push button and get an after market remote starter installed.

As an aside, I was able to unlock the remote start option in my RS by messing with the flags on the ECU, but it obviously doesn't actually work.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Crunchy Black posted:

OK, thanks

I could have sworn my old white Mk7 Golf was clear-coated under the hood, but I guess I never looked closely enough. Now that I have a red one, it's super obvious.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

I've had Gyeon MOHS+ (a ceramic coating) applied to two Golfs now and I highly recommend the product. Great durability, nice glossiness, seemingly improved swirl resistance when washing (although don't rely on it to make up for poor wash technique), and most importantly, excellent hyrdophobic properties and UV protection. Nothing seems to stick to it, even tar or bug spots that might have otherwise required a dedicated spray product, will instead just rinse / wipe off with a pressure washer and a mitt.

I can't recommend these modern quartz/ceramic/nano coatings enough. However, I would recommend against half-assing it, so unless you're really keen to do it yourself, just go to a professional who will do it right the first time using a higher professional-grade version of the consumer product (more durability usually). Going to a pro means your car's paint will be prepped properly and the coating will be applied properly, all of which means it will last longer. You can then spend all your time researching and buying all the 'top-up' and 'refreshing' shampoos that are made just for quartz coatings, as well as the spray-on quartz 'topper' sealants etc.

If you go with any of the reputable brands you won't have a problem: Carpro, Gyeon, Opti-Coat, Nanolex, Gtechniq, etc. They will all have certified installers for their pro stuff listed on their websites.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 26, 2017

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Crunchy Black posted:

My controversial stance is that you are allowed, as a human being, to have a personal opinion

Unsane
Jul 16, 2003

KillHour posted:

Buy a MT car with push button and get an after market remote starter installed.

As an aside, I was able to unlock the remote start option in my RS by messing with the flags on the ECU, but it obviously doesn't actually work.

do you have a remote start keyfob you can bind to the car? I've been wanting to try this with my ST, ever since seeing it in forscan. Apparently it is just that easy for some of the ford cars and trucks, turn it on and get a key. There is a addon module, but its just an antenna. I am curious to see what happens in a manual car. maybe figure out a way to fake a neutral safety switch to the ECM.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Taima posted:

My controversial stance is that you are allowed, as a human being, to have a personal opinion

drat watch yourself son that might be worth a probie.

Unsane posted:

do you have a remote start keyfob you can bind to the car? I've been wanting to try this with my ST, ever since seeing it in forscan. Apparently it is just that easy for some of the ford cars and trucks, turn it on and get a key. There is a addon module, but its just an antenna. I am curious to see what happens in a manual car. maybe figure out a way to fake a neutral safety switch to the ECM.

potentially sure but if you fake out/disable clutch lockout, you'll assuredly disable cruise

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Sitting here at the tint place looking for ceramic coating guys around town. Looks like I can basically pick the brand I want and then go from there. Wife is rolling her eyes at me.

She clearly doesn't understand the GTI's needs.

Also, you know the middle aged guy that looks out of place at a tuning/whatever shop? Today it's me. :bahgawd:

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 27, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Taima posted:

Also regular gas is fine IMO unless you are getting an R.The non-R 2016-2017 GTI's don't even specify premium, though there are some benefits. Generally though I think that people get emotional about the octane they use and tend to leave objectivity at the door. At the end of the day, use the gas that makes you feel better/cooler/etc. because it's not going to make a huge difference.

Most turbocharged, direct injected vehicles will run on regular without breaking anything, but often you can make more power or get better fuel mileage with higher octane. The stock tunes in many of them will adapt to the fuel provided. If you have an OBD dongle and appropriate app on your phone you can watch it happen. Keep an eye on the knock sensor, the timing, and the boost pressure. In pretty much every case you'll see gains between 87 and 91 octane. Sometimes 93 helps too, but really how often do most people even have a choice between the two? Gains above 93 aren't as common, though some ECUs are sufficiently willing to adapt that it's not unheard of.

VW specifies on their web site that all performance numbers for the GTI are achieved with premium fuel. Ford does the same on their performance turbos.

If we assume the MPG loss is insignificant we're still talking about a couple of bucks per tank. If it actually goes down by a meaningful amount even that might be negated. Don't cheap out on your fuel.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I bought my R with what turned out to have been a tank full of regular old gas in it, and it would have some pretty bad judder in the low revs and at idle.

Have filled it up since then with premium and it's behaved like an absolute kitten. YMMV.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Sitting here at the tint place looking for ceramic coating guys around town. Looks like I can basically pick the brand I want and then go from there. Wife is rolling her eyes at me.

Also, you know the middle aged guy that looks out of place at a tuning/whatever shop? Today it's me. :bahgawd:

Buy her a pony and call it even.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wonder if 100LL will gently caress up car engines or not, just out of curiosity...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

Most turbocharged, direct injected vehicles will run on regular without breaking anything, but often you can make more power or get better fuel mileage with higher octane. The stock tunes in many of them will adapt to the fuel provided. If you have an OBD dongle and appropriate app on your phone you can watch it happen. Keep an eye on the knock sensor, the timing, and the boost pressure. In pretty much every case you'll see gains between 87 and 91 octane. Sometimes 93 helps too, but really how often do most people even have a choice between the two? Gains above 93 aren't as common, though some ECUs are sufficiently willing to adapt that it's not unheard of.

VW specifies on their web site that all performance numbers for the GTI are achieved with premium fuel. Ford does the same on their performance turbos.

If we assume the MPG loss is insignificant we're still talking about a couple of bucks per tank. If it actually goes down by a meaningful amount even that might be negated. Don't cheap out on your fuel.

Sorry dude but this is basically a load of horseshit speculation. Literally zero (0) evidence or data in this wall of text.

I'm glad that some numbers maybe, theoretically, change on a computer screen but that is not going to be something that 99% of drivers notice whatsoever. Placebo is a hell of a drug though.

My stance from the beginning has been that you should fill your new-model GTI with whatever makes you feel better, which is the right stance and the one I will continue to advocate.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I bought my R with what turned out to have been a tank full of regular old gas in it, and it would have some pretty bad judder in the low revs and at idle.

Have filled it up since then with premium and it's behaved like an absolute kitten. YMMV.

We are specifically talking about the newer model GTIs that do NOT specify premium gas. The Golf R still specifies premium afaik

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sy8d4aroW4

Taima posted:

Sorry dude but this is basically a load of horseshit speculation. Literally zero (0) evidence or data in this wall of text.

He's not wrong, though. (*source: engine calibration engineer for an OEM at one point :) ) However, I'm fine using 87 currently. :v: I don't know how big the power difference is between the two (hard to dyno a car back to back since the ECU would have to relearn in between tanks, same weather conditions, etc) but it's not enough for me to care. Car is still fun.

It isn't a $2 difference between regular and premium anymore since premium now is like 50-70 cents more it seems per gallon. (2.99 vs. 2.45 locally for me currently, just checked)

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 27, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

PT6A posted:

I wonder if 100LL will gently caress up car engines or not, just out of curiosity...

The lead can damage the cats and foul o2 sensors, but fine otherwise.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
So it seems that my GTI has the dreaded clutch slip. Any boost down low in 3rd gear and it just revs to the moon and doesn't go anywhere. Advice on getting the dealer to warrant it? Just bought the car this weekend, 19k miles.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Taima posted:

If you think it's "horseshit speculation" to say that an engine that's retarding timing will be producing less power than an engine that's not I don't know what else to say. That's pretty much engines 101.

As far as whether a vehicle reacts to the different fuels you can observe the behavior in your own vehicle using less than $20 worth of hardware and software that you really should have anyways if you ever do any DIY work.

If you'd like to dig in to the specifics of certain implementations take a look at Cobb Tuning's Accesstuner support pages: https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/25100354/Accesstuner+Support where a lot of popular turbo ECUs including those in recent VWs are documented.

VW and Ford specifically confirm this on their respective product pages. Do you think they're just shilling for the fuel industry?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

So it seems that my GTI has the dreaded clutch slip. Any boost down low in 3rd gear and it just revs to the moon and doesn't go anywhere. Advice on getting the dealer to warrant it? Just bought the car this weekend, 19k miles.

drat that sucks. Bet it has/has a tune. Guessing it isn't cpo?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Larrymer posted:

drat that sucks. Bet it has/has a tune. Guessing it isn't cpo?

Not CPO but only 20k miles. No tune that I know of, was a trade in at the Porsche dealership...

and/or should I be getting quotes from Eurofed/Solo for a stage 1 clutch? (In the ATL)

did confirm that the remainder of the VW warranty was pass through to me.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 28, 2017

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Has there been any more word on that proposed 2018 3-cylinder Fiesta ST?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crunchy Black posted:

Take it back to the dealer, they should be fixing it if you just bought it.

These cars need special care if you tune them and don't want to buy a clutch right away. Remove clutch fluid flow restriction, remove clutch spring, and absolutely do not get on them on the 1-2 or 2-3 shift before the clutch has fully reengaged. I feel like a broken record about this in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Has there been any more word on that proposed 2018 3-cylinder Fiesta ST?

The new ST model hasn't been launched but it's not really "proposed" at this point, it's confirmed as much as anything that hasn't hit production yet can be.