Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hey
Hello everyone. This is the thread you all get to post in for the 2018 IIHF Ice Hockey World Junior Championship, alternatively known as WJC or World Juniors. I have no idea how popular the games will be this year, but we can plan to use this as a GDT as well except for big games (USA vs Canada) or medal games.

What are the World Juniors, and why should I care?
Great question. The World Junior Championship is an annual international hockey tournament organized by the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) for under-20 teams from around the world. This year, the tournament will take place in Buffalo, New York, and for the first time will feature an outdoor game - the annual Canada vs USA grudgematch. Traditionally the tournament is held in late December, after Christmas, and goes until early January. The main tournament features the ten top ranked hockey nations in the world, organized into two groups (A and B), from which a world champion is crowned.

Group A consists of: The United States of America, Canada, Denmark, Slovakia, and Finland
Group B is made up by: Russia, Sweden, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, and Belarus

There are some other, lower, divisions that people don't really care about. The only one you really need to sort-of know about is Division 1, which is one step below the big tournament. The winner of Division 1 gets promoted to play with the big boys (this year it's Belarus) and the worst team from the Top Division gets relegated down to Division 1 for the next year.

Alright, I still don't get why I should care
Many hockey fans enjoy watching the World Juniors because it's a showcase for the top under-20 talent in the world. It's very likely that your favorite NHL team has at least one prospect playing in the tournament. Even if they don't, there are also typically a lot of exciting draft-eligible players to watch. I'll include a list at the end of this post of which players are on rosters at the moment for each NHL team.

With the NHL and KHL not competing in the Olympics, I think it's also likely that this tournament is also going to be a better competition between national teams. You're going to see a lot of extremely talented kids, some who will on to become stars in the NHL, competing against each other instead of a bunch of washouts and plugs. Also, the games aren't in Korea so you can watch them at a reasonable time.

It's also just a lot of fun in general. There are going to be blowouts when Canada plays Denmark or something like that, but there will also be hard-fought and intense games between rival nations, and there is almost always a team that is sneaky-good and surprises or even upsets one of the major powers.

Ok I'm in, where can I watch the games?
I dunno. I assume TSN or whatever in Canada, and in the US games are typically on NHL Network. Probably online too, in this day in age.

The Schedule
All these times are US EST (since it's in Buffalo) - I'm sure you are all smart enough to figure this out

The Teams
Alright, here we go. I'll start with Group A. I'm not going to do super detailed write-ups on every country. If you'd like to go all out for your country of choice, feel free and I will add it to the OP. I'll also try to keep rosters updated as players get cut, since I'm putting this thread together fairly early.

USA :911:
Last 5 Finishes: Gold (2017, 2013), Bronze (2016), did not medal (2014, 2015)
Team USA gets mentioned first since they are the defending champions. Team USA is generally one of the stronger teams in the tournament, although they're typically not icing an All-Star team like Canada. You'll definitely see significant top-end talent (Charlie McAvoy, Clayton Keller were standouts last year, for example) but their depth typically isn't quite as good as Canada. There are typically quite a few kids from the US National Development Team (USNDT), the CHL, and the NCAA. While most of team USA will feature drafted players, there are also a few draft eligible players that should be fun to watch.

Roster (as of December 15)
Forwards: Joey Anderson (NJD), Jack Badini (ANA), Kieffer Bellows (NYI), Logan Brown (OTT), Trent Frederic (BOS), Patrick Harper (NSH), Max Jones (ANA), Will Lockwood (VAN), Hugh McGing (2018 Draft Eligible), Casey Mittelstadt (BUF), Josh Norris (SJS), Ryan Poehling (MTL), Brady Tkachuk (2018 Draft Eligible), Riley Tufte (DAL), Kailer Yamamoto (EDM)

Defensemen: Mikey Anderson (LAK), Adam Fox (CGY), Quinn Hughes (2018 Draft Eligible), Cole Hults (LAK), Phil Kemp (EDM), Ryan Lindgren (BOS), Andrew Peeke (CBJ), Scott Perunovich (2018 Draft Eligible), Dylan Samberg (WPG), Reilly Walsh (NJD)

Goalies: Jake Oettinger (DAL), Jeremy Swayman (BOS), Joseph Woll (TOR)

Players to watch: Brady Tkachuk is probably the player most people will be interested in on this roster. He could be a top pick in next year's draft, and he's apparently even nastier than his brother which should be fun. Personally, I'm interested to see what Yamamoto does too since he has some NHL experience.

Canada :canada:
Last 5 Finishes: Gold (2015), Silver (2017), Did Not Medal (2013, 2014, 2016)
Despite being the greatest hockey nation in the world, Canada's young bucks haven't really done that well lately. Last year they lost in the gold medal game to the US in heartbreaking fashion, and will definitely be looking for revenge this year (not that there are many repeat players). Canada is typically the favorite for this tournament just due to the sheer talent level that Canadian hockey is able to produce. Their roster does not feature any draft-eligible players, so enjoy watching your favorite team's prospects.

Forwards: Drake Batherson (OTT), Maxime Comtois (ANA), Dillon Dube (CGY), Alex Formenton (OTT), Jonah Gadjovich (VAN), Brett Howden (TBL), Tanner Kaspick (STL), Boris Katchouk (TBL), Jordan Kyrou (STL), Michael McLeod (NJD), Taylor Raddysh (TBL), Sam Steel (ANA), Tyler Steenbergen (ARI), Nick Suzuki (VGK), Robert Thomas (STL)

Defensemen: Jake Bean (CAR), Kale Clague (LAK), Dante Fabbro (NSH), Mario Ferraro (SJS), Cal Foote (TBL), Victor Mete (MTL), Josh Muhara (ANA), Cale Makar (COL), Conor Timmins (COL)

Goalies: Michael DiPietro (VAN), Carter Hart (PHI), Colton Point (DAL)

Players to watch: Like I said, everyone is drafted by an NHL team on this roster so watch your prospects. Also what the gently caress, they have two kids named some variation of Cale? What is going on with you, Canada?

Finland :finland:
Last 5 Finishes: Gold (2016, 2014), Did Not Medal (2013, 2015, 2017)
Apparently it's "Gold or Bust" for Finland. Last year they narrowly avoided being relegated despite being the defending 2016 champs. Luckily it looks like they won't be in that position this year. Their defense in particular is looking pretty good, with some big-name prospects. This roster is only what I found from their preliminary announcement, so expect a few cuts.

Roster (As of December 15)
Forwards: Juha Jääskä (Undrafted), Otto Koivula (NYI), Kristian Vesalainen (WPG), Joona Koppanen (BOS), Sami Moilanen (2018 Draft Eligible), Eetu Tuulola (CGY), Eeli Tolvanen (NSH), Markus Nurmi (OTT), Aapeli Räsänen (EDM), Joni Ikonen (MTL), Eetu Luostarinen (CAR), Aleksi Heponiemi (COL), Jere Innala (Undrafted), Rasmus Kupari (2018 Draft Eligible)

Defensemen:
Miro Heiskanen (DAL), Robin Salo (NYI), Eemeli Räsänen (TOR), Olli Juolevi (VAN), Urho Vaakanainen (BOS), Roope Laavainen (CHI), Henri Jokiharju (CHI), Kasper Kotkansalo (DET)

Goalies: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (BUF), Lassi Lehtinen (2018 Draft Eligible - I think), Niilo Halonen (Undrafted)

Players to watch: I know we have some Finns who post here so I'll let them tell you. All that I've read really is that Rasmus Kupari is supposed to be a high pick in 2018.

Slovakia
Last 5 Finishes: Bronze (2015), Did Not Medal (2013, 2014, 2016, 2017)
Slovakia isn't bad, they're also not good. They managed to medal in 2015 even, but typically they're middle of the pack. They won't be relegated, but they probably won't medal. Especially in a group with Canada, the US, and Finland. Sorry, Slovakia.

Roster (as of December 15) - I couldn't actually find their roster posted anywhere. Here's a projection from some blog, I'll update it later if anyone really cares about team Slovakia.

Forwards: Adam Liska, Viliam Cacho, Adam Ruzicka (CGY), Milos Roman, Marian Studenic (NJD), Samuel Solenský, Alex Tamasi, Samuel Bucek, Vladimir Vybiral, Erik Smolka, Niki Jasko, Peter Kundrik, Patrik Marcinek

Defense: Martin Bodák, Vojtech Zelenak, Dusan Kmec, David Matejovic, Martin Fehérváry, Michal Ivan, Samuel Fereta

Goaltenders: Dávid Hrenák, Roman Durny, Jakub Kostelny

Denmark
Last 5 Finishes: Did Not Medal/Not In Top Division (2013-2017)
Denmark is a team that is going to get whipped by the main hockey powers, most likely. They're a plucky team with nice jerseys, and last year they avoided relegation for the first time ever (I think). They'll have a few players returning, but like Slovakia, I couldn't even figure out where their preliminary roster was posted. Here's a list of some projected members of the team who have been drafted by NHL teams:

Malte Setkov, Defense (DET), Nikolaj Krag-Christensen, Forward (STL), Joachim Blichfeld, Forward (SJS), Jonas Røndbjerg, Forward (VGK)

Group B
Sweden :sweden:
Last 5 Finishes: Silver (2013, 2014) Did Not Medal (2015, 2016, 2017)
Sweden is a good team. I'd put them on a tier with the US just below Canada where they have a lot of top end talent, but aren't quite as deep. Despite not medaling in the last three tournaments, Sweden should have a strong roster this year. Their team also features the projected first overall pick of 2018, Rasmus Dahlin.

Forwards: Elias Pettersson (VAN), Lias Andersson (NYR), Jesper Boqvist (NJD), Tim Söderlund (CHI), Frederik Karlström (DAL), Oskar Steen (BOS), Axel Jonsson Fjällby (WAS), Marcus Davidsson (BUF), Isac Lundeström (2018 Draft Eligible), Linus Lindström (CGY), Glen Gustafsson (2018 Draft Eligible), Fabian Zetterlund (NJD), Jacob Olofsson (2018 Draft Eligible), David Gustafsson (2018 Draft Eligible), Lucas Elvenes (VGK)

Defensemen: Rasmus Dahlin (2018 Draft Eligible), Erik Brännström (VGK), Timothy Liljegren (TOR), Linus Högberg (PHI), Jacob Moverare (LAK), Gustav Lindström (DET), Filip Westerlund (ARI), Jesper Sellgren (2018 Draft Eligible)

Goalies: Filip Gustavsson (PIT), Filip Larsson (undrafted), Olle Eriksson Ek (ANA)

Players to watch: Their defense is really slick, and there are some big name forwards too. I think we have some Swedish posters who could tell you more.

Russia
Last 5 finishes: Silver (2015, 2016), Bronze (2013, 2014, 2017)
Russia is the other team likely to emerge from group B, and the only team to medal in the past five tournaments (actually the last time they didn't medal was 2010). They should be Sweden's main rival in this group, although I think Sweden is better overall. Unfortunately, since Russia is in group B, we won't get to enjoy any Canada-Russia or USA-Russia games until after the preliminary round. The Russian team tends to be filled out with a lot of younger KHL guys. Most haven't been drafted into the NHL yet even if they've been eligible, but that doesn't mean they should be underestimated.

Forwards: Andrei Altybarmakyan (CHI), Mikhail Maltsev (NJD), Alexei Polodyan, Danil Veryaev, Grigory Ivanov, Artur Kayumov (CHI), Ivan Romanov, Artyom Manukyan, Danila Moiseev, Vitaly Kravtsov, Marsel Sholokhov, Maxim Rasseykin, Damir Rakhimullin, Maxim Tsyplakov, Pavel Shen

Defensemen: Dmitry Alexeev, Alexander Shepelev, Grigory Dronov, Anatoly Elizarov, Yegor Zaitsev (NJD), Nikita Makeev, Artyom Maltsev, Alexander Kalinin, Nikolai Knyzhov, Vladislav Syomin

Goalies: Ivan Konovalov, Alexei Melnichuk, Vladislav Sukhachyov

Czech Republic
Last 5 Finishes: Did Not Medal (2013-2017)
Like the Slovaks, the Czechs generally aren't a bad team, they're just not very good. We still see talented players come out of the Czech Republic but for the most part the roster typically isn't too great. This year looks stronger than most, they typically don't have many drafted NHL players, and Zadina and Lauko at forward are fairly strong prospects eligible for the 2018 draft.

Forwards: Onrej Machala, Filip Helt (STL), Petr Kodytek, Martin Kaur, Martin Necas (CAR), Radovan Pavlik, Marek Zachar, Albert Michnac, Ostap Safin (EDM), Filip Chytil (OTT), Kristian Reichel, Filip Zadina (2018 Draft Eligible), Krystof Hrabik, Jakub Lauko (2018 Draft Eligible)

Defensemen: Lukas Doudera, Filip Haman, Frantisek Hrdinka, David Kvasnicka, Jakub Galvas (CHI), Vojtech Budik (BUF), Ondrej Vala (DAL), Radim Salda, Libor Hajek (TBL), Filip Kral

Goalies: Josef Korenar (SJS), Jakub Skarek

Switzerland
Last 5 finishes: Did Not Medal (2013-2017)
The Swiss are always interesting as the perennial dark horse of the tournament. They don't medal, but they almost always surprise someone, or even upset, one of the bigger teams. Their rosters are generally full of relatively unknown guys, but they can produce some real stars. Nico Hischier was a standout last tournament and obviously ended up going first overall, as one example.

I couldn't find their roster posted anywhere but here are two drafted/notable Swiss players I know off the top of my head which should make the team:
Tobias Geisser, Defense (WAS),
Philipp Kurashev (2018 Eligible, projected top-30)

Belarus
Last 5 finishes Did Not Medal/Not in Top Division (2013-2017)
These guys are going to get killed. There are no NHL prospects or draft-eligible guys worth talking about on the roster. They will most likely get relegated.

Your Team's Prospects are playing for (Updated: December 15):
Bad news for Florida and Minnesota fans, good news for Devils fans

Anaheim Ducks: Jack Badini (USA), Max Jones (USA), Maxime Comtois (CAN), Sam Steel (CAN), Josh Muhara (CAN), Olle Eriksson Ek (SWE)
Arizona Coyotes: Tyler Steenbergen (CAN), Filip Westerlund (SWE),
Boston Bruins: Trent Frederic (USA), Ryan Lindgren (USA), Jeremy Swayman (USA), Joona Koppanen (FIN), Urho Vaakanainen (FIN), Oskar Steen (SWE),
Buffalo Sabres: Casey Mittelstadt (USA), Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (FIN), Vojtek Budik (CZE), Marcus Davidsson (SWE),
Calgary Flames: Adam Fox (USA), Dillon Dube (CAN), Eetu Tuulola (FIN), Adam Ruzicka (SVK), Linus Lindström (SWE),
Carolina Hurricanes: Jake Bean (CAN), Eetu Luostarinen (FIN), Martin Necas (CZE)
Chicago Blackhawks: Roope Laavainen (FIN), Henri Jokiharju (FIN), Jakub Galvas (CZE), Tim Söderlund (SWE), Andrei Altybarmakyan (RUS), Artur Kayumov (RUS),
Colorado Avalanche: Cale Makar (CAN), Conor Timmins (CAN), Aleksi Heponiemi (FIN),
Columbus Blue Jackets: Andrew Peeke (USA)
Dallas Stars: Riley Tufte (USA), Jake Oettinger (USA), Colton Point (CAN), Miro Heiskanen (FIN), Ondrej Vala (CZE), Frederik Karlström (SWE),
Detroit Red Wings: Kasper Kotkansalo (FIN), Malte Setkov (DEN), Gustav Lindström (SWE),
Edmonton Oilers: Kailer Yamamoto (USA), Phil Kemp (USA), Aapeli Räsänen (FIN), Ostap Safin (CZE)
Florida Panthers: no prospects playing, but it's probably fine since the Panthers are so good
Los Angeles Kings: Mikey Anderson (USA), Cole Hults (USA), Kyle Clague (CAN), Jacob Moverare (SWE),
Minnesota Wild: uh oh
Montreal Canadiens: Ryan Poehling (USA), Victor Mete (CAN), Joni Ikonen (FIN),
Nashville Predators: Patrick Harper (USA), Dante Fabbro (CAN), Eeli Tolvanen (FIN),
New Jersey Devils: Joey Anderson (USA), Reilly Walsh (USA), Michael McLeod (CAN), Marian Studenic (SVK), Jesper Boqvist (SWE), Fabian Zetterlund (SWE), Mikhail Maltsev (RUS), Yegor Zaitsev (RUS),
New York Islanders: Kieffer Bellows (USA), Otto Koivula (FIN), Robin Salo (FIN),
New York Rangers: Lias Andersson (SWE),
Ottawa Senators: Logan Brown (USA), Drake Batherson (CAN), Alex Formenton (CAN), Markus Nurmi (FIN), Filip Chytil (CZE)
Philadelphia Flyers: Carter Hart (CAN), Linus Högberg (SWE)
Pittsburgh Penguins Filip Gustavsson (SWE),
San Jose Sharks: Josh Norris (USA), Mario Ferraro (CAN), Joachim Blichfeld (DEN), Josef Korenar (CZE),
St. Louis Blues: Tanner Kaspick (CAN), Jordan Kyrou (CAN), Robert Thomas (CAN), Nikolaj Krag-Christensen (DEN), Filip Helt (CZE)
Tampa Bay Lightning Brett Howden (CAN), Boris Katchouk (CAN), Taylor Raddysh (CAN), Cal Foote (CAN), Libor Hajek (CZE),
Toronto Maple Leafs: Joseph Woll (USA), Eemeli Räsänen (FIN), Timothy Liljegren (SWE),
Vancouver Canucks: Will Lockwood (USA), Jonah Gadjovich (CAN), Michael DiPietro (CAN), Olli Juolevi (FIN), Elias Pettersson (SWE),
Vegas Golden Knights Nick Suzuki (CAN), Jonas Røndbjerg (DEN), Lucas Elvenes (SWE), Erik Brännström (SWE),
Washington Capitals Axel Jonsson Fjällby (SWE), Tobias Geisser (SWZ)
Winnipeg Jets: Dylan Samberg (USA), Kristian Vesalainen (FIN),

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Carter Hart has had a phenomenal year and it sounds like he should be the main starter for Canada. I'm looking foward to seeing him in action.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah his numbers are insane, he might be the best goalie in the tournament. Personally I think Oettinger is better even though he's been struggling a bit with BU so far this year, although BU as a whole has struggled.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I am cautiously optimistic about Reilly Walsh, seems like a Butcher type. I don't know a whole lot about the Russians the Devils have there, but Boqvist and Zetterlund are solid.

I still don't know what to make of McLeod, he looked really meh in camp but he's toolsy as gently caress.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 16, 2017

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Jyväskylä Jokinen and Juuso Juventus are certainly not people that exist.

There's a roster for the preliminary camp for Finland on the national team page: http://www.leijonat.fi/maajoukkueet...t-pelaajat.html

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I hope Mete has a good time, and this washes the bad taste of being on the 17-18 Canadiens roster out of his mouth.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

cyanidewolf posted:

Jyväskylä Jokinen and Juuso Juventus are certainly not people that exist.

There's a roster for the preliminary camp for Finland on the national team page: http://www.leijonat.fi/maajoukkueet...t-pelaajat.html

thats the page I looked at but I can't speak Finnish so when I hit translate it came up with some weird stuff.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pretty sure it's gonna be (g) SWE, (s)CAN, (b)RUS

US's team will probably do alright but their roster doesn't impress me like it did last year. Last year they looked fearsome and delivered.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ya I think Sweden has to be the favorite. Team USA has like 8 or 9 returning guys from the championship team + Yamamoto/Tkachuk but I dunno if that's enough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Ya I think Sweden has to be the favorite. Team USA has like 8 or 9 returning guys from the championship team + Yamamoto/Tkachuk but I dunno if that's enough.

I could easily see Canada being disappointing and you could slot U.S. into their slot. That said, I'm intrigued by Canada's goaltending.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Final roster for Team Finland:

Goalies:
1 Luukkonen Ukko-Pekka, HPK Hämeenlinna (Buffalo Sabres)
30 Lehtinen Lassi, Lukko Rauma (Undrafted)
31 Halonen Niilo, HIFK Helsinki (Undrafted)
Defensemen:
2 Heiskanen Miro, HIFK Helsinki (Dallas Stars)
4 Salo Robin, Sport Vaasa (New York Islanders)
5 Räsänen Eemeli, Kingston Frontenacs OHL (Toronto Maple Leafs)
6 Välimäki Juuso, C Tri-City Americans WHL (Calgary Flames)
7 Juolevi Olli, TPS Turku (Vancouver Canucks)
23 Vaakanainen Urho, SaiPa Lappeenranta (Boston Bruins)
28 Jokiharju Henri, Portland Winterhawks WHL (Chicago Blackhawks)
36 Kotkansalo Kasper, Boston University NCAA (Detroit Red Wings)
Forwards:
3 Jääskä Juha, HIFK Helsinki (Undrafted)
9 Kuokkanen Janne, Carolina Hurricanes NHL
12 Koivula Otto, Ilves Tampere (New York Islanders)
13 Vesalainen Kristian, HPK Hämeenlinna (Winnipeg Jets)
15 Koppanen Joona, Ilves Tampere (Boston Bruins)
19 Tuulola Eetu, HPK Hämeenlinna (Calgary Flames)
20 Tolvanen Eeli, Jokerit Helsinki (Nashville Predators)
21 Nurmi Markus, TPS Turku (Ottawa Senators)
22 Räsänen Aapeli, Boston College NCAA (Edmonton Oilers)
27 Ikonen Joni, KalPa Kuopio (Montreal Canadiens)
32 Heponiemi Aleksi, Swift Current Broncos WHL (Florida Panthers)
33 Innala Jere, HPK Hämeenlinna (Undrafted)
34 Kupari Rasmus, Kärpät Oulu (2018 Eligible)

Kupari is the guy to watch I guess, being the only 2018 draft eligible player on the team. Otherwise, I'd pay attention to Tolvanen and Heponiemi, considering how their season has gone so far with Tolvanen being lethal in the KHL and Heponiemi doing some ridiculous stuff in the WHL. Overall I think this is a very strong team and should bounce us right back from last years disappointment.

Because I said that however, it will be a dumpster fire.

cyanidewolf fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 23, 2017

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

cyanidewolf posted:

Because I said that however, it will be a dumpster fire.
That's the best part about the World Juniors, any team can become a dumpster fire at any point.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

i'm still pissed that my city was one of the finalists to host this and apparently "just barely" lost out to Buffalo because USA Hockey has a massive hard-on for that place

anyways there's four (4) Good St Louis Boys on the team and that's a good thing

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Team Sweden looks fun as hell.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Six lightning players playing in the WJC?

They’re out of my league

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

I hope Mete plays well but not too well otherwise Bergevin will trade him.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

Team Sweden looks fun as hell.

Elias Pettersson is quite possibly the best player outside the NHL

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

not even the best top 5 draft pick from 2017 that’s outside the NHL...

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

ThinkTank posted:

I wish he wasn't such a toothpick, but that was the only thing preventing him from going higher I guess.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The 2017 first round is actually looking pretty good a lot of those guys are having great +1 years.

Scorchy posted:

I wish he wasn't such a toothpick, but that was the only thing preventing him from going higher I guess.

Is he skinnier than Hischier? Because he does fine at that size.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 26, 2017

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

T-Bone posted:

Is he skinnier than Hischier? Because he does fine at the size.

He's like 6'2 and 165lb

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scorchy posted:

He's like 6'2 and 165lb

dang

also good morning, go the hockeys. Is NHL Network the only stateside channel/site showing the games?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sam Steel is a good hockey name.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
the czech top line is physically gigantic

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Sam Steel is a good hockey name.

And if hockey doesn't work out, he can always work in manual labor, private investigation, law enforcement, or porn.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Hand Knit posted:

the czech top line is physically gigantic

This is probably the best Czech team I can remember. Has any Czech player ever gone top 10 in the draft? Gotta think Zadina is going to be the first or second forward drafted this year

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Up the swedes imo.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Oh boy, that goal song is something.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Just realized TSN isn't doing the weird hosed up upwards counting period timer that IIHF loves.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A Typical Goon posted:

This is probably the best Czech team I can remember. Has any Czech player ever gone top 10 in the draft? Gotta think Zadina is going to be the first or second forward drafted this year

Jagr was the first, and then there's most forgotten 1st overall pick Roman Hamrlik.

I feel like Necas was really high on one of the rankings last year, and noted smart team Carolina took him at 12.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Czech are making Russia look useless.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

A Typical Goon posted:

There was that guy the Devils took a few years ago

Zacha, I think

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Hand Knit posted:

Czech are making Russia look useless.

Yeah, Russia looks like garbage. Especially considering Canada murdered the Czechs 9-0 in prelims

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Caught the last 5 minutes. Lol Russia

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There have been a lot of Czechs drafted in the top 10:

Nedved/Jagr/Bonk/Brendl/Stefan/Klesla/Hamrlik/Taticek/Michalek/Olesz/Frolik/Voracek/Zacha

Definitely a lull lately, but quite a few. There have been about 40 or so Czechs in the first round overall.

Hand Knit posted:

Jagr was the first, and then there's most forgotten 1st overall pick Roman Hamrlik.

I feel like Necas was really high on one of the rankings last year, and noted smart team Carolina took him at 12.

Nedved was the first :science: -- there's that famous quote of him saying Jagr was better than him like immediately after Jagr was picked at #5 (Nedved went #2).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 26, 2017

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The wheels have fallen off the Belarus bus

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Does nedved really count as a Czech draft pick? He defected to Canada before he was drafted. He played for Canada in the 1994 Olympics

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

That Finnish goalie sure has a Finnish name.

E: 6 K's!

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 26, 2017

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I am currently watching this game in my girlfriends Dad's basement with her brother. Maybe we can bond over hockey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

T-Bone posted:

Nedved was the first :science: -- there's that famous quote of him saying Jagr was better than him like immediately after Jagr was picked at #5 (Nedved went #2).

I mentally averaged his draft position with that of the other Petr Nedved.

• Locked thread