Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

pouch items have nothing to do with animations and you're absolutely meant to take advantage of them because you can actually squish enemies well below your level that way

Well I would certainly hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

to be more specific, by squish I mean beat them in like ten seconds instead of a non-threatening battle that still takes like a minute

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
lol a tutorial 60 hours in

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaX posted:

That's what I've been doing since Ch 2 once I heard about it; it usually got Anchor Shot back up in at least... 6 hits, but still well before any Break effect would wear off.

I have mostly been using the pouches for the -dmg abilities, but after you mentioned it, I tried to look up the Recharge foot and for science, put Rex, 4th, and 5th with them (and used a Pouch Expansion I didn't even know I had on Rex).

... This makes the difference between seeing an elemental blade combo every minute or so to seeing it at least every 20 seconds (which I think might have been the intent on the devs with the Chain Attacks).

But... why even gate this kind of difference behind Food that has a timer, instead of just building in Arte Recharging like this into the actual leveling? It's not actually an MMO where you need food buffs before each raid :cripes:

This might sound like dumb question, but have you acquired the ability to cancel driver skills? And (even dumber) are you switching bladees?

Because even without food buffs to arts timers, you shouldn't be having much time between using all your arts for one blade and being able to switch to the next blade (and use all its arts). I think by chapter 6-7 it was the exception to the rule when I would have any downtime waiting for the option to change blades (or for arts to recharge).

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Ytlaya posted:

This might sound like dumb question, but have you acquired the ability to cancel driver skills? And (even dumber) are you switching bladees?

Because even without food buffs to arts timers, you shouldn't be having much time between using all your arts for one blade and being able to switch to the next blade (and use all its arts). I think by chapter 6-7 it was the exception to the rule when I would have any downtime waiting for the option to change blades (or for arts to recharge).

To add onto this, if you have gotten to Five's titan Tantal then you can farm some Overclock Bangles from the bunnits just beyond the port you arrive in, slap one of those on and you can swap between blades much faster, because they shorten the switch cooldown for each fully charged art on the blade when you swap away from them.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Ytlaya posted:

I have definitely been switching blades and canceling into another driver art was probably one of the first character affinity skills I made a beeline to.

But outside of canceling Pyra's auto-attacks by stepping, it was taking quite a while for the artes to charge (and most of the time I never even got the chance to use arts concurrently until I slapped on these pouch items).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

I have definitely been switching blades and canceling into another driver art was probably one of the first character affinity skills I made a beeline to.

But outside of canceling Pyra's auto-attacks by stepping, it was taking quite a while for the artes to charge (and most of the time I never even got the chance to use arts concurrently until I slapped on these pouch items).

You should be starting your Artes on the third hit of the auto-attack combo. It massively boosts your Special gains.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Another tip if you haven't been doing it already, third auto-attack->unload all 3 artes->Blade Switch->Immediately unload all 3 artes

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

There has to be something more to this stupid gacha system than it lets on because I'm in the last chapter/postgame and haven't gotten a new rare from the RNG in something like 10 legendary cores and 50 rares.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

There has to be something more to this stupid gacha system than it lets on because I'm in the last chapter/postgame and haven't gotten a new rare from the RNG in something like 10 legendary cores and 50 rares.

You keep on believing that, buddy :sigh:.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm missing at least three RNG rares that I know of so it's just really drat stupid that I can go complete almost all of Zenobia's tree, spend the accumulated rares/legendary cores and get only common blades from it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ at least you have Zenobia :smith: ^^^

Do you have to do all if Ursula's concerts to finish her quest? Because I'm just about done with stamps but I don't have three blades with fortitude that can actually be sent on merc missions, and she's still almost 1000 fans short.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chapter 9: I found it incredible funny that while Amalthus and Malus are waging full scale space war using continents as weapons you can spend days salvaging for garbage 75 feet from their docking point

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
It's way easier to win battles if you forget about the rare blades and give everyone as many blades with Orb Master as possible.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Momomo posted:

Chapter 9: All these people sure are calm for their entire continents just deciding to start fighting a giant tree. Also I really haven no idea how society relates to these titans physically, I thought they were supposed to be on the titans' backs (except Uraya which is inside). Surely these titans moving around like this would throw everyone off. Same thing as when Tantal was diving under the cloud sea, how are these people supposed to be staying on?

Just wanted to fix this not sure if it's post game (that's when I found it) but there's a refugee camp for Indol at the rare core port. You get a quest to go save some Indolian Nopon that got knocked off the dragon and onto the tree so uh, some people managed to escape. Some got thrown onto the tree and others well... the mechonis coming to life scene in 1 springs to mind.

Also I think this game does a poo poo ton better than 1 but it takes a absurd amount of time to get to that point. By chapter 5 I was having fun but "this isn't what I wanted" only for the game to seemingly go "okay well how about this" and course correct right away.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you have to do all if Ursula's concerts to finish her quest? Because I'm just about done with stamps but I don't have three blades with fortitude that can actually be sent on merc missions, and she's still almost 1000 fans short.

Unfortunately, I believe so. In fact, I think the concerts are the only things that actually give you fans, and the stamps are just required to unlock the concerts. Completing all the stamp-giving missions isn't necessary, though (I finished Ursula's side quest and never did Soul 5 training since I didn't have the necessary blades).

I've always been okay with the various skill checks, but that's only because 1. I've spent the time opening enough cores to get most rare gacha blades and all rare side quest blades, and 2. I've engaged fairly heavily with mercenary missions and gotten plenty of commons with level 2/3 in the various elemental skills as a result. But if you don't do those things, there are a hell of a lot of skill checks that would be impossible to pass and require that you have at least 1 or 2 rare blades with the skill in question (stuff like Superstrength, Leaping, the aforementioned Fortitude, etc). I think I remember reading that Kora's side quest actually requires you have every other rare blade with Girl Talk?

Speaking of rare blade side quests, they seem to be split between field skill ones (like Agate's or Electra's) and ones that are more "proper" quests (like Sheba's, Boreas's, Praxis's, etc). Though even with the latter there's often some grindy angle, though the particular grinds involved with Sheba/Boreas are easy.

MechaX posted:

Hm, this is actually related to something I was wondering about. Is there anything that determines whether some blades have longer or shorter cooldowns than others to switch to? Or is it automatically the same (barring any accessories that affect it)?

I've also noticed a little downtime when 2 or 3 of my blades are all using weapons with arts that have long cooldown times. Like ether cannons, IIRC.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

The only thing that seems to be more or less confirmed is that rates decrease as you get more. I got them fairly regularly up until the last few. Something like ~100 common cores and ~50 rare cores combined got me all but about 6 of the rare blades (legendary cores never gave me any rares, though they did give a 4*, which are useful for getting overdrives). I got 2 more over the course of like 50/20 common/rare cores respectively (and 2 legendary cores that gave nothing).

At this point it is a pain in the rear end, especially since I have literally every rare DPS blade except for Zenobia and KOS-MOS. I have 4 left total (2 DPS and 2 healers). The nature of the rare blade gacha is the only annoying thing in this game that truly bothers me. I recognize stuff like the merc missions are dumb/bad, but they just don't bother/frustrate me in the same way that the gacha does. The fact that the animation for using a core (even if you skip the introduction scene) is so long just adds insult to injury.

(Also, regarding boosters, I still haven't really been able to notice if they do anything. I read they affect rates of certain elements, but if they do it's not to a very noticeable extent. I also heard higher luck affects rare drop rates, but at this point drop rates are so low I'm not sure if it would be possible to notice the difference.)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 27, 2017

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

No. But you do have to get all three stats to 99/99 to unlock the last two concerts to bypass the triple fortitude concert.

I know because I just did it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PJOmega posted:

No. But you do have to get all three stats to 99/99 to unlock the last two concerts to bypass the triple fortitude concert.

I know because I just did it.

That's fine, it's only like three more missions to do that at this point. Just glad I can finish it.

e: thanks to Ytlaya as well but I know for sure that increasing your levels gives you more fans because I checked at Vocals 8 and Vocals 9 last night and it went up when my level did. But I think I would still be a couple hundred short of 5000 without another concert.

Thank god they didn't completely gently caress you because good lord I would have gone ballistic if I got to the end of the hellgrind and then gotten cockblocked because I don't have literally every rare blade with a rare-only skill.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 27, 2017

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So on a whim I fired up Xenoblade X and there's now a flashing OFFLINE X in the top left corner permanently cause miiverse is gone. It's there even in cutscenes and completely irremovable.

The Xenoblade team are just kinda poo poo at designing games with consumers in mind huh?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw this on reddit and had a hearty guffaw (chapter 7 spoilers)

Also (chapter 8), can someone tell me if the ID badge Rex picks up in the Tornan Titan has any significance or was it just a "this thing used to be people" moment?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A Sometimes Food posted:

So on a whim I fired up Xenoblade X and there's now a flashing OFFLINE X in the top left corner permanently cause miiverse is gone. It's there even in cutscenes and completely irremovable.

The Xenoblade team are just kinda poo poo at designing games with consumers in mind huh?

Oh no, I bet that really ruins the four cutscenes in the game. But if there's no online, that means you can't do the global nemesis for BP tickets or whatever, right?

IcePhoenix posted:

Also (chapter 8), can someone tell me if the ID badge Rex picks up in the Tornan Titan has any significance or was it just a "this thing used to be people" moment?

The latter.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Just started chapter 3. I've probably gone through 15ish cores? I have Boreas for Rex and Agate for Nia. I found a Sealstone Earth. To open it I would have to grind a common earth blade to earth mastery 2. Is that worth it, or should I just pass most of these field skills if I don't have them?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Just started chapter 3. I've probably gone through 15ish cores? I have Boreas for Rex and Agate for Nia. I found a Sealstone Earth. To open it I would have to grind a common earth blade to earth mastery 2. Is that worth it, or should I just pass most of these field skills if I don't have them?

Do not grind for skills. You will open up another mechanic in your menu involving Mercenaries in a couple chapters.

No seriously, don't try to do sidequests immediately until you have all 5 characters. They don't go away for the most part.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tae posted:

Do not grind for skills. You will open up another mechanic in your menu involving Mercenaries in a couple chapters.

No seriously, don't try to do sidequests immediately until you have all 5 characters. They don't go away for the most part.
Cool, kind of what I thought/was hoping. I've done more salvaging, Tiger Tiger and sidequests than I probably should have, but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's ok to do sidequests if you want, the bonus XP you earn doing so gets dumped into the characters not currently in your party when they join, so you can just powerlevel them up to (or in my case, above) where your party is at by resting at an inn as soon as you get them.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Trying to get 50,000 points in Tiger Tiger is taking it’s toll on my sanity.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

It's ok to do sidequests if you want, the bonus XP you earn doing so gets dumped into the characters not currently in your party when they join, so you can just powerlevel them up to (or in my case, above) where your party is at by resting at an inn as soon as you get them.
Yeah when Nia rejoined she went up to 19 while everyone else was at around 15.

Duckula posted:

I've only unlocked stage 1, but got 60000 on my 4th or 5th run I think. I got it from getting three bonus medals. I think it was from collecting every ruppee looking thing, having full health at the end (if you get hit and lose an upgrade but pick up a health tank you still keep it full) and collecting every chest. That gives an extra medal which boosted my score well above that threshold.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Duckula posted:

no damage + no kills should put you over the threshold, do it on stage 1 easy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah stage 1 easy can net you 200k points if you run it perfect, there's a large leeway to reach 50k

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Good Citizen posted:

Is there a quickest way to get the ingredients for merc level 2? Like are there just two gathering points I can run back and forth between for 30 minutes and get what I need?

You can buy one of the items on the list in Argentum, IIRC.

Also there's a side quest but I didn't run it. :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Duckula posted:

Play on easy mode so you don't take damage from walls and do stage one until you can get no damage + all treasure + all ether. It'll take a few tries but the stage is basically the same every time so you don't have to adapt on the fly.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

IcePhoenix posted:

It would've been more poignant if (spoiler only for the same point in chapter 8) Morag or someone didn't yell "DON'T EXPECT MERCY JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE HUMAN" during the preceding battle, spoiling the cutscene. How could she even tell?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Slowly getting my head around combat and leveling blades and the game (and it's systems) are growing on me.

I still miss the collectopedia and the npc affinity grid though.

I'm doing so much busy-work grinding though, but I enjoy grinding. I guess it wouldn't be a Xenoblade game without it.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Ya'll have bitched about the things I hate already but here's another asinine development decision that I haven't seen talked about: when you unlock an affinity tree node you have to open menu, go to character select, select a blade, go to affinity tree, and cycle to the blade that unlocked it and listen to their dumb voice clip and unlock animation. If you don't do this, the game doesn't consider the node unlocked yet. Why...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sacro posted:

Ya'll have bitched about the things I hate already but here's another asinine development decision that I haven't seen talked about : when you unlock an affinity tree node you have to open menu, go to character select, select a blade, go to affinity tree, and cycle to the blade that unlocked it and listen to their dumb voice clip and unlock animation. If you don't do this, the game doesn't consider the node unlocked yet. Why...

It does and it doesn't. You get any benefits from unlocking it but you can't progress on the node ahead of it (unless it's something that counts retroactively like Sheba's "gold spent at shops")

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

That's fine, it's only like three more missions to do that at this point. Just glad I can finish it.

e: thanks to Ytlaya as well but I know for sure that increasing your levels gives you more fans because I checked at Vocals 8 and Vocals 9 last night and it went up when my level did. But I think I would still be a couple hundred short of 5000 without another concert.

Thank god they didn't completely gently caress you because good lord I would have gone ballistic if I got to the end of the hellgrind and then gotten cockblocked because I don't have literally every rare blade with a rare-only skill.

Oh sorry, I guess I interpreted getting more badges not immediately making the fans increase as just the concerts doing so, though I guess the level of the "stats" increases for each 10 badges?

Fritzler posted:

What does undoing those seals do? I did some wind one in Lefteria that had a pretty high field skill check associated with it and it didn't seem to do anything. Are they attached to a side quest?

Speaking of side quests, what do you get from finding all those Nopons hidden in various places (I think there are 12 of them)? Or the Nopon Doubloons?

Sacro posted:

Ya'll have bitched about the things I hate already but here's another asinine development decision that I haven't seen talked about : when you unlock an affinity tree node you have to open menu, go to character select, select a blade, go to affinity tree, and cycle to the blade that unlocked it and listen to their dumb voice clip and unlock animation. If you don't do this, the game doesn't consider the node unlocked yet. Why...

This is a good example of an "absolutely dumb in every way" thing that for some reason doesn't bother me much. I guess because the level of inconvenience is relatively easy to ignore and I got into a routine of flipping through everyone's affinity grids periodically.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

IcePhoenix posted:

It does and it doesn't. You get any benefits from unlocking it but you can't progress on the node ahead of it (unless it's something that counts retroactively like Sheba's "gold spent at shops")

No, it legit does not give you the skill until you look at the tree. You can tell by attempting a skill check after unlocking a field skill node.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Ytlaya posted:

This is a good example of an "absolutely dumb in every way" thing that for some reason doesn't bother me much. I guess because the level of inconvenience is relatively easy to ignore and I got into a routine of flipping through everyone's affinity grids periodically.

Same. I've just got in the habit of quickly checking whenever one pops up, and use that to have a quick look at what I need to do next to keep unlocking. And when you're in one it's easy to L/R across all the blades to check them all.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ytlaya posted:

Oh sorry, I guess I interpreted getting more badges not immediately making the fans increase as just the concerts doing so, though I guess the level of the "stats" increases for each 10 badges?

What does undoing those seals do? I did some wind one in Lefteria that had a pretty high field skill check associated with it and it didn't seem to do anything. Are they attached to a side quest?

It's either pre-set breakpoints or every 11 because I was level 8 vocals at 97 stamps and level 9 at 99. And the seals are for Zenobia's sidequest. I don't know how many there are but I've found two of them so far (fire in mor ardain and wind in leftheria).

tap my mountain posted:

No, it legit does not give you the skill until you look at the tree. You can tell by attempting a skill check after unlocking a field skill node.

I did a skill test a couple nights ago that I got credit for without opening their chart so I dunno :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

IcePhoenix posted:

It's the opposite of this. I shoved 20 sweets down Nia's throat and Boreas got all four of his levels at once, but didn't his Noppon Wisdom check didn't give me the level until I looked at the screen.