Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sunswipe posted:

I'd love those if they stopped having Noel loving Fielding on them.

It might be a volume thing since he only appears occasionally but I don't mind him on QI. Is there a good reason to dislike him or does he just rub you wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I appreciate British TV because your guys' stars aren't exclusively really attractive people but on the downside they're really hard to look at

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ArtIsResistance posted:

I appreciate British TV because your guys' stars aren't exclusively really attractive people but on the downside they're really hard to look at

The downside is they're pretty much all upper class oxbridge toffs with connections to the right industry people.

And they're more likely to be diddlers rather than merely having been diddled.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I just assume everyone who works on the entertainment side of the BBC is a child molester, and if it turns out they're not, it's a happy surprise.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
After seeing Mel B on America's Got Talent for a couple seasons, I could not be less surprised that she didn't "get" the point of a satirical comedy show. Or of anything, really.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It might be a volume thing since he only appears occasionally but I don't mind him on QI. Is there a good reason to dislike him or does he just rub you wrong?

Noel's approach to humour can be kinda monkey cheese. I'm assuming that is the issue, although I find him quite charming sometimes

However, I may be biased as I loved Mighty Boosh.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

What makes it stranger is that Blakes 7 really had the same budget as the Tom Baker Doctor Who, so going from aliens to child molestation dystopia was one hell of a jump.

Lower. Blakes 7 replaced a cop show and was required to have the same FX budget, which boiled down to like £50 an episode.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's pretty much this:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Noel's approach to humour can be kinda monkey cheese. I'm assuming that is the issue, although I find him quite charming sometimes

However, I may be biased as I loved Mighty Boosh.
His whole schtick just seems so forced to me. He was good in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, though.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

It's pretty much this:

His whole schtick just seems so forced to me. He was good in Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, though.

Darkplace is a masterpiece though, everyone is great in it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Whilst I do like and enjoy Noel Fielding, I much preferred Julian Barrat in the Mighty Boosh. I always thought I was in the minority in doing so.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Whilst I do like and enjoy Noel Fielding, I much preferred Julian Barrat in the Mighty Boosh. I always thought I was in the minority in doing so.

I definitely prefer Julian but they work crazy well together

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

Much like all British television, nothing interesting or entertaining. It's a group of unfunny people getting upset that another unfunny person wasn't being the scripted unfunny they were trying to be. Basically like what QI would be if the US tried to adapt it. Just terrible.

Network in the US decided to cancel the original "Police Squad!" for being too intellectually demanding.

Do we really need to present any other evidence?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Der Kyhe posted:

Network in the US decided to cancel the original "Police Squad!" for being too intellectually demanding.

Do we really need to present any other evidence?

This sounded like somewhat of a joke to me, but the actual line is even more of a joke. Goddamn.

quote:

According to the DVD Commentary of "A Substantial Gift" (episode 1), then-ABC entertainment president Tony Thomopoulos said Police Squad! was cancelled because "the viewer had to watch it in order to appreciate it."

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Police Squad's early end was a blessing to the showrunners because they felt they couldn't keep up such rapid-fire comedy on a weekly show.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's funny how Frasier and Niles are brothers only a few years apart but look about a decade apart, though David Hyde Pierce might just be one of those guys who always looks young.

Not anymore, at least. These days he looks older than he actually is.

Content: watched Gremlins 2 the other night. It's such a goofy over-the-top movie to begin with that it's tough to say it's aged poorly, but the camera-mad Japanese tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing outdated stereotypes in old movies is one thing but it's even more jarring when they're stereotypes that were current and fresh when you were growing up.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Police Squad's early end was a blessing to the showrunners because they felt they couldn't keep up such rapid-fire comedy on a weekly show.

Then maybe, don't order/demand 20+ episodes at that pace?

English/European one season is 4-10 episodes, usually for a reason.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Der Kyhe posted:

Then maybe, don't order/demand 20+ episodes at that pace?

English/European one season is 4-10 episodes, usually for a reason.

Yeah, I used to get grumpy about Beeb shows only being 4-12 episodes but honestly it's for the best; more effort into each episode means higher quality for the most part, rather than rapid-fire making GBS threads out 22 episodes worth of Family Guy level jokes

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross. Hbomberguy made the point that the show had too much money and that they splashed out on pointless effects like a Matrix camera-trick for a wedding scene.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross. Hbomberguy made the point that the show had too much money and that they splashed out on pointless effects like a Matrix camera-trick for a wedding scene.

... But it also created the Hercule Poirot (1989-2013) with David Suchet which despite the latter relapse into the more serious tone is still the gold standard of mystery novel series.

Even with the new movies which try to reboot the series, it is impossible to read the books and not see the Suchet Poirot in action.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ITV has been doing new feature-length adaptations of Maigret stories with Rowan Atkinson. They only do two episodes per year.

Suchet is the definitive Poirot for me in the same way Jeremy Brett is the definitive Sherlock Holmes and Maury Chaykin is the definitive Nero Wolfe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There was a pretty neat Professor Branestawm TV Special last christmas that Starred Harry Hill. It was pretty funny, used some interesting stories to build it's central narrative around and had a satisfying ending. Only 1 episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On the other hand you have Sherlock which only did three feature-length episodes every two years and very quickly turned to dross.
It didn't turn to, it was bad from the beginning. Better examples are Red Dwarf or Jonathan Creek, which despite coming back for only a few episodes after multi-year breaks are still absolute garbage these days. Whether the seasons are 3 episodes or 52, sometimes a show's just run its course and should end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tiggum posted:

It didn't turn to, it was bad from the beginning. Better examples are Red Dwarf or Jonathan Creek, which despite coming back for only a few episodes after multi-year breaks are still absolute garbage these days. Whether the seasons are 3 episodes or 52, sometimes a show's just run its course and should end.

I think I only caught one season of the new Dwarf but if memory serves it should have ended a season sooner than it actually did

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Len posted:

I think I only caught one season of the new Dwarf but if memory serves it should have ended a season sooner than it actually did

It should have ended with Series 6.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rascar Capac posted:

Was that when Rimmer left or when they got back to the Dwarf?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

TheKennedys posted:

Yeah, I used to get grumpy about Beeb shows only being 4-12 episodes but honestly it's for the best; more effort into each episode means higher quality for the most part, rather than rapid-fire making GBS threads out 22 episodes worth of Family Guy level jokes

My first exposure to British TV was The Good Life on PBS in the late 70s/early 80s. That show went for four series of seven episodes with two specials. While I wanted to see more, I felt they had told all the possible stories without repeating themselves. Each character got their own episode or two, while both couples got theirs. Same goes for my other favorites like Black Adder, The Young Ones, etc.

My favorite US sitcoms like MASH, Cheers, Frasier, etc, could have easily been halved and still not have lost anything.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rascar Capac posted:

The last couple of seasons have been a new return to form

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When Rimmer leaves the show and they add alternate universe Kristine Kochanski the whole premise falls apart.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Mister Kingdom posted:

My favorite US sitcoms like MASH, Cheers, Frasier, etc, could have easily been halved and still not have lost anything.

With longrunning US sitcoms, it is a better game to see how often they repeat a basic plot structure, or how often a major character learns the exact same lesson.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Len posted:

Was that when Rimmer left or when they got back to the Dwarf?

The one just before they get back to the Dwarf. As muscles like this! says, the premise completely changes. Losing half of the writing team can’t have helped, either.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

My first exposure to British TV was The Good Life on PBS in the late 70s/early 80s. That show went for four series of seven episodes with two specials. While I wanted to see more, I felt they had told all the possible stories without repeating themselves. Each character got their own episode or two, while both couples got theirs. Same goes for my other favorites like Black Adder, The Young Ones, etc.

The fifth season of the original Upstairs, Downstairs was padded to 16 episodes because London Weekend begged for them (the previous four were 13 episodes each). The show had already been plotted out for the final series and it was a struggle to come up with material to fit in.

Fawlty Towers had two series, space years apart and even as a VHS tape set, only take up a small part of my shelf.

On the other hand, Are You Being Served had 69 episodes in 10 series. That was about eight series too many for that show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

e X posted:

With longrunning US sitcoms, it is a better game to see how often they repeat a basic plot structure, or how often a major character learns the exact same lesson.

Up through the end of the 60s, very rarely did characters learn anything. I mean, you'd think Darrin would have stopped mouthing off to Samantha's relatives in Bewitched.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

When Rimmer leaves the show and they add alternate universe Kristine Kochanski the whole premise falls apart.

Indeed. Red Dwarf works best when they have six episodes per series. Stretching it to eight only resulted in madness and...well, wasn't very good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Kingdom posted:

True in retrospect, but the really good episodes are spaced throughout and even the not-so-good episodes usually have at least one really good moment. MASH specifically only has a small handful of total stinkers out of like a billion episodes.

You could certainly pack some of the good bits from multiple episodes together and make half as many though, sure.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

The Bloop posted:

True in retrospect, but the really good episodes are spaced throughout and even the not-so-good episodes usually have at least one really good moment. MASH specifically only has a small handful of total stinkers out of like a billion episodes.

You could certainly pack some of the good bits from multiple episodes together and make half as many though, sure.

As much as I love MASH as a whole (minus the final episode) most of the good episodes were pre-BJ's Mustache so really half of MASH can largely be put in the "meh" pile.

e: The end of the Col. Flagg episodes is also a pretty good indication that the funny is largely declining. Maybe I just vastly prefer the style of early MASH, idk

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

On the other hand, Are You Being Served had 69 episodes in 10 series. That was about eight series too many for that show.

This put me in mind of the series of Are You Being Served they did where they were all old people in, I think, the 90s.

England had a little revival of doing that around that time. Think Last Of The Summer Wine etc. Where the joke was "hey, look at this great comedy character actopr you remember from a couple of decades ago. They're still alive! So lets put them in a lame lame show."

There are exceptions, like One Foot in the Grave, where the joke is that he is old, but unlike the ones mentioned above, OFitG was funny, and touching, and Victor Meldrew is a glorious comic monster.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Straight White Shark posted:

Not anymore, at least. These days he looks older than he actually is.

Content: watched Gremlins 2 the other night. It's such a goofy over-the-top movie to begin with that it's tough to say it's aged poorly, but the camera-mad Japanese tourist sticks out like a sore thumb. Seeing outdated stereotypes in old movies is one thing but it's even more jarring when they're stereotypes that were current and fresh when you were growing up.

Last Christmas I saw a bunch of Japanese tourists pile out of two buses and take pictures of the inside of a Wegmans the entire time we were shopping there

I don't think I realized this was a stereotype though I just thought it was funny

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Indeed. Red Dwarf works best when they have six episodes per series. Stretching it to eight only resulted in madness and...well, wasn't very good.

The irony being that Red Dwarf VII and VIII were stretched to eight episodes at the behest of American TV networks, so they could have 52 episodes for syndication. As soon as Dave got hold of it and took it back to the UK style, it mysteriously became good again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Last Christmas I saw a bunch of Japanese tourists pile out of two buses and take pictures of the inside of a Wegmans the entire time we were shopping there

I don't think I realized this was a stereotype though I just thought it was funny

Yes, the first time I saw that happen I felt like someone was playing a joke on me.

Stereotypes are usually based on a kernel of truth and some are based on a whole lot of truth.