Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Liberals have a much easier time getting away with it because of in-group bias. Ya'll hate republicans so theres no reason for you to believe theyre innocent.

You should get your gout treated Mr. I HAVE GOUT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
There's also the interview he gave on public record where he happily and proudly admits to emotionally abusing a woman into developing an eating disorder.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Casimir Radon posted:

Saw All the Money in the World. It was really good. Plummer is in it a lot more than it originally sounded like. As in you'll be amazed they managed to do that much in 10 days. Even if Spacey hadn't turned out to be a monster Plummer was always a better choice.

Haha. Monster Plummer.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bad day posted:

No I just mean literally every story about this is just reporting on a handful of vague twitter posts calling him names. I’ve not seen any specific accusations whatsoever. If I’m supposed to jump on the bandwagon and publicly shame someone I’d at least like to know what they’re accused and implicitly guilty of doing.

Saying someone is a "rapist" is not "name-calling." What we have now are the tweets. You can rest assured that more detailed accounts will come out of it, which always happens. At this juncture, however, we do only have the claim, which is more likely than not to be true, because empirically people don't just cry "rapist" because they think it suits them.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Catfishenfuego posted:

There's also the interview he gave on public record where he happily and proudly admits to emotionally abusing a woman into developing an eating disorder.

He's said some lovely things, but to be fair everything does seem a little vague beyond "he's said lovely things".

There has been multiple people who have said "Landis sexually assaulted a friend of mine" but understandably they haven't elaborated beyond that yet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

That could describe everyone living in a first world country

It wouldn't be all that easy for a lot of people in first world countries to just uproot their entire life and leave, whereas it wouldn't have been very difficult for Max Landis to simply not make money off of his father's name in the same exact industry that his father was successful in before the "accident".

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Not to mention that Max Landis' current project is remaking "An American Werewolf In London," which is like Inception levels of Nepotism.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

This is the hill you want to die on?

Yes.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Also, does Mark Hamill get a pass for only attempting to force a woman into getting his (40 year old) son's abortion, instead of actually succeeding in it?

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/star-wars-mark-hamill-nathan-hamill-abortion-coercion

A shame the kid wasn't aborted. Both it's parents come off as whiney manipulative shitbags.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

It wouldn't be all that easy for a lot of people in first world countries to just uproot their entire life and leave, whereas it wouldn't have been very difficult for Max Landis to simply not make money off of his father's name in the same exact industry that his father was successful in before the "accident".

IMO if Max Landis hadn't been a lovely person, it would have been totally reasonable for him to attain success in the film industry, so long as he bluntly shittalked his father in public at every opportunity. I'd actually kind of admire him if he were a good guy and in every interview he found an excuse to say "my dad is a murderer who should have died in prison and he exemplifies everything wrong with Hollywood". As is though he's just a lovely person.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jesus Christ I'm sorry I started this derail by pointing out goons loving love to go "HIS DAD KILLED KIDS AND MAX LANDIS IS A SHITSTAIN FOR NOT HATING HIS FATHER"

We get it Max Landis is a bad person because his dad was found not guilty of manslaughter

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Do you guys really expect a son to badmouth their father like that and hate them?

What loving world did you guys grow up in?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i didn't have a problem with Max Landis until he started acting weird and horrible towards Lexi Alexander on Twitter. now that i do have a problem with him for that, i pretty much consider him fair game for mockery regardless of the attribute being mocked, and people make some loving :discourse: helicopter jokes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheNewt posted:

Do you guys really expect a son to badmouth their father like that and hate them?

I actually don't agree with that part. My only point is that he's a marginal talent who's entire career is off the back of his father's name, so he's directly profiting off of the whole situation in my opinion. I don't blame him for having the father he has but he's chosen to continue to use that fact to make money, unless he' s delusional enough to think his career would be where it is without the name.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

unless he' s delusional enough to think his career would be where it is without the name.

Is this your first experience with Max Landis

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That said the guy who made the helicopter parent comment that was pretty good. Why can't the rest of you make jokes about his not-guily-of-manslaughter dad like that guy?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheNewt posted:

As my wife and my family and friends will tell you, I have plenty of bad things to say about my father, and he never did anything so terrible as getting three people killed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TheNewt posted:

Ronan Farrow talks poo poo about his "dad" all the time though?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

Also, does Mark Hamill get a pass for only attempting to force a woman into getting his (40 year old) son's abortion, instead of actually succeeding in it?

https://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/star-wars-mark-hamill-nathan-hamill-abortion-coercion

I don't see anywhere in that article that mentioned that Mark was part of the abortion coercion besides a passing reference in one of the emails. Hell, it's entirely possible that he wasn't even told what was happening, and that his son and wife flew off the handle at the pregnant woman all on their own.

THAT SAID the article certainly proves that Mark's son and wife are lovely people.

banned from Starbucks posted:

A shame the kid wasn't aborted. Both it's parents come off as whiney manipulative shitbags.

I was 100% with her UNTIL she said that she lied to him and pretended to get the abortion, that's pretty loving lovely and the kind of thing that results in a million smug r/theredpill posts.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 26, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Being a careless moron that leads to deaths is different from intentional rape but lol at accepting a not guilty verdict as reason to not mock someone.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i didn't have a problem with Max Landis until he started acting weird and horrible towards Lexi Alexander on Twitter. now that i do have a problem with him for that, i pretty much consider him fair game for mockery regardless of the attribute being mocked, and people make some loving :discourse: helicopter jokes.

My favorite part of this story is that Landis was going to be on a podcast that Lexi guested on and was friends with one of the hosts, and Lexi Alexander told them that someone told her in DMs that Landis had assaulted them. The hosts demanded evidence that Lexi wouldn't provide because it was given to her in confidence, then had Landis on regardless. Then they blamed Lexi when it all blew up in their faces this week.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I was 100% with her UNTIL she said that she lied to him and pretended to get the abortion, that's pretty loving lovely and the kind of thing that results in a million smug r/theredpill posts.

That and the fact that she came to that decision after sharing private emails with and taking the advice of some random nurse she met for 5 minutes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tars Tarkas posted:

My favorite part of this story is that Landis was going to be on a podcast that Lexi guested on and was friends with one of the hosts, and Lexi Alexander told them that someone told her in DMs that Landis had assaulted them. The hosts demanded evidence that Lexi wouldn't provide because it was given to her in confidence, then had Landis on regardless. Then they blamed Lexi when it all blew up in their faces this week.

LEXI I'M A FAN I LOVE PUNISHER WAR ZONE I ADMIRE YOU LEXI WHY WON'T YOU TALK TO ME LEXI PLEASE TALK TO ME LEXI

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I mean Landis just comes across as someone who demands to be heard. Even after being told no.

Also, his thoughts that his AMERICAN WEREWOLF remake will have more to 'explain' about those locals in the pub who were clearly aware of the wolf stalking the moors is exactly what's wrong with modern screenwriting. The original movie explains everything that it needs to because that poo poo isn't important to the story.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 26, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Saying someone is a "rapist" is not "name-calling." What we have now are the tweets. You can rest assured that more detailed accounts will come out of it, which always happens. At this juncture, however, we do only have the claim, which is more likely than not to be true, because empirically people don't just cry "rapist" because they think it suits them.

Nobody quoted in these articles calls him a rapist. Psychopath is used multiple times. It’s said that he “sexually assaults women” but that’s a pretty general and nonspecific statement that could mean lots of things short of rape.

I don’t give a gently caress about this guy but as a casual observer it looks like 99% of the reporting on this topic is summarizing a half dozen twitter posts. That’s really bad reporting.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

As my wife and my family and friends will tell you, I have plenty of bad things to say about my father, and he never did anything so terrible as getting three people killed.

Yeah I know I get it. White people do this to their folks. That's why you people are so hosed up and elect people to purposefully gently caress over your kids/parents.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

No you see he's supposed to go on interviews and tell everyone he hates his apparently very influential father so he can just rake in the job offers afterwards

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

bad day posted:

Nobody quoted in these articles calls him a rapist. Psychopath is used multiple times. It’s said that he “sexually assaults women” but that’s a pretty general and nonspecific statement that could mean lots of things short of rape.

I don’t give a gently caress about this guy but as a casual observer it looks like 99% of the reporting on this topic is summarizing a half dozen twitter posts. That’s really bad reporting.

I actually agree with this, but this is the age we're in now. There's good aspects about having instant news, but there's a downside too and stuff like this is part of it. 'People say a dude is lovely on Twitter' shouldn't really be a story, particularly since the posts about him are so scant on details (Which, again, is fair enough). But if the complaints about him are just going to remain vague then is it even worth discussing?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I’m just griping because this is a bone I have to pick with “News” in general - once you realize how many stories are just reporting tweets it’s like putting on the glasses from They Live. Which is of course an extremely problematic film to discuss now due to Twitter allegations against a key grip.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bad day posted:

I’m just griping because this is a bone I have to pick with “News” in general - once you realize how many stories are just reporting tweets it’s like putting on the glasses from They Live. Which is of course an extremely problematic film to discuss now due to Twitter allegations against a key grip.

Yep, barely a step away from "real" news, which is slightly rewording press releases.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Tars Tarkas posted:

Being a careless moron that leads to deaths is different from intentional rape but lol at accepting a not guilty verdict as reason to not mock someone.

But she said it angrily, you see. It's important to be skeptical of angry women of color regarding sexual assault because

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

TheNewt posted:

Yeah I know I get it. White people do this to their folks. That's why you people are so hosed up and elect people to purposefully gently caress over your kids/parents.

Recognising your parents are lovely people isn't something exclusive to white people, nor is it in any way a virtue to live in denial if your parents are lovely people.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Holiday roll call:

At Vice, Cutting-Edge Media and Allegations of Old-School Sexual Harassment
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/23/business/media/vice-sexual-harassment.html

Sylvester Stallone Assault Accuser Files Santa Monica Police Report
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sylvester-stallone-assault-accuser-files-santa-monica-police-report-1069925

Former Trump campaign manager accused of sexual harassment
https://www.yahoo.com/news/former-trump-campaign-manager-accused-sexual-harassment-100940584.html

Hollywood producer Gary Goddard accused of sexual misconduct by 8 former child actors
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-goddard-accusers-20171220-story.html

Grace Jones says she was sexually harassed during casting for film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNbO7p2wG0

Fart City posted:

There is not a "gently caress you" big enough on Gene Simmons. Not just for his abhorrent actions mentioned in that article, but also for his long quest to be The Worst loving Dude. I'd say he should be loaded into one his KISS-branded coffins and fired into the sun, but I wouldn't want to inadvertently trigger the heat death of the universe.

For his fame level not many seem to like him. Or his TV show: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Simmons_Family_Jewels

Or his music videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7gTvYETZc

Or his son who got into plagiarism troubles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Simmons

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Luke Evans doesn't do a particularly impressive USian accent.

I could have sworn he was British.

Fake edit:Welsh. I’m American, so that reads as British to me. I also just learned that lots of people can’t tell him and Orlando Bloom apart. Aside from both being handsome, I’m not really seeing the similarities.

Why am I talking about these two in a Sexual Predators of Hollywood thread?

Bored fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 27, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

Jesus Christ I'm sorry I started this derail by pointing out goons loving love to go "HIS DAD KILLED KIDS AND MAX LANDIS IS A SHITSTAIN FOR NOT HATING HIS FATHER"

We get it Max Landis is a bad person because his dad was found not guilty of manslaughter

Are goons seriously still going on about the Twilight Zone incident? Seriously?

It was a loving accident nobody thought anyone was going to die. For fucks sake.

Timby posted:

So you're saying anyone who has ever tragically had a workplace accident happen on their watch that resulted in deaths is a terrible person that should be lynched and shunned from society? Gotchya. This is like saying you should all hate the manager of a construction site because his crane worker was an rear end in a top hat and accidentally dropped a steel beam on traffic or something.

Seriously I don't get this opinion. It started a new safety code in filming stuff because this was the norm until that point.

The whole event was a big deal. It made big changes on how things get done. It should be looked at as a sad moment in film history not "gently caress the director," at least as far as I can tell.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 27, 2017

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
the landis defender has logged on

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Landis was warned repeatedly by his stunt coordinator and pilot, but he ignored their warnings and made the stunt even more dangerous because he was determined to get the shots he wanted, with no regards to the safety of his crew. It also didn't help that he was a massive coke head at the time which no doubt contributed to his bad decision making. I love the guy's films but gently caress him for putting his cast and crew's safety as the last priority.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-11-17/local/me-4015_1_special-effects

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blazing Ownager posted:

It was a loving accident nobody thought anyone was going to die. For fucks sake.

So you're saying anyone who has ever tragically had a workplace accident happen on their watch that resulted in deaths is a terrible person that should be lynched and shunned from society? Gotchya. This is like saying you should all hate the manager of a construction site because his crane worker was an rear end in a top hat and accidentally dropped a steel beam on traffic or something.

Seriously I don't get this opinion. It started a new safety code in filming stuff because this was the norm until that point.

The whole event was a big deal. It made big changes on how things get done. It should be looked at as a sad moment in film history not "gently caress the director," at least as far as I can tell.

Landis specifically went against the advice of his stunt people, and forcefully ordered the pilot to fly as close to the explosions as possible. Multiple times the stunt coordinator told him not to do this, it was an argument on set. Landis said gently caress you I'm doing it anyway.

He didn't set out to kill anyone but his actions directly resulted in their deaths. Nobody is saying he should be executed or never allowed to participate in society ever again, but that's not the same thing as saying he shouldn't be allowed to work as a movie director. And if I were his son, I'd have a very hard time looking in the mirror if I'd made an entire career off the back of that man's name. Max Landis is very well off, which was not in his control and I don't blame him for, but he had infinite options as far as career paths. Nobody forced him to leverage the Landis name to make it as a screenwriter, and yet that's what he decided to do.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

Blazing Ownager posted:

It wasn't just an accident. He was violating child labor laws by filming at night without a permit and the crew hid the children from the fire marshal who dropped by to check the pyrotechnics.

He also had a reputation for being a very aggressive person, he berated the pilot and crew because he wanted a better shot. The pilot was a Vietnam veteran and the explosions were causing him a lot of stress as well.

He cut corners and got people killed. He absolutely deserves to be poo poo on.

RobotDogPolice fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 27, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Landis defenders never seem to know the facts about what happened, like they heard some vague story about how some kids were accidentally killed and then he was just blamed because hey he's the director gotta blame somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I didn't know the specifics of the incident until this thread and Landis should absolutely have been thrown in jail and utterly financially and otherwise ruined