Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I used to have that game when I was in high school. Such a weird loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What does Shaw have to say about John's Zaks?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Even a truce at that point in the war would have been questionable considering what the Federation had endured and the fact momentum was with them by that point in the war, on the eve of the Battle of A Baoa Qu. Generally a truce is broached when a stalemate has been reached, which was not the case. If Degwin was going for anything it would be a surrender with conditions, such as allowing his family to retain control. Hell maybe he didn't even care about that and just wanted the war ended. I dunno, just my perspective.

I mean, given that the impetus for Degwin meeting with Revill was hearing Gihren call Hitler a filthy casual, I doubt he was much interested in keeping the Zabis in power at that point

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

its xmas eve weekend baby. youknow what that means. its time to drink precisely one beer and watch endless waltz

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

jackhunter64 posted:

It's Christmas Eve weekend baby. You know what that means? It's time to drink roughly drunk bottles of whiskey because I'm watching Gundam 0080.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Time for some Christmas hamburgers.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My wife suggested Bernard for our kids name and I said no because it would make me think of hamburger.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This year I'll fix it. Every year I say the same, "now this Christmas I'll watch 0080 and see what the SA thread likes so much about it", and then I don't, and then it isn't Christmas anymore.

This year that shall be fixed. I will learn what's so important about hamburgers.

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
While we're on the topic of 0080, does anyone know when/if there will be a Blu Ray release?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ManSedan posted:

My wife suggested Bernard for our kids name and I said no because it would make me think of hamburger.

Also, you know, him getting killed by Al’s hot neighbor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Diogenes of Sinope posted:

While we're on the topic of 0080, does anyone know when/if there will be a Blu Ray release?

I thought rightstuff already put out a bluray?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I started watching 00 and I'm curious if it's worth watching. I'm not usually that big a fan of non UC Gundam shows, but I'm in the mood for some robots and space politics.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The_Rob posted:

I started watching 00 and I'm curious if it's worth watching. I'm not usually that big a fan of non UC Gundam shows, but I'm in the mood for some robots and space politics.

First season good, second season eh, movie even more eh except for the movie within the movie.

Also this is required viewing after you've finished season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoeKRY-AGMc

chumbler fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 26, 2017

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The_Rob posted:

Season 1 is good. I was apparently more fine with season 2 than most others, but it was less compelling. Haven't seen the movie so can't comment.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

chumbler posted:

First season good, second season eh, movie even more eh except for the movie within the movie.

Also this is required viewing after you've finished season 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoeKRY-AGMc

I'll never be sick of that trailer for season 2. Or how much of it is technically accurate. :allears:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So far I'm digging 00. I like that it still has a lot of the UC tropes but it's doing something unique with them. The Gundam designs are pretty good too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would have liked 00 more if it was less "super Gundams that run around like athletes clowning tanks" and more like advanced mobile suit designs building off of the design philosophies of the tieren and other walking tank style mobile suits.

I did like the rapidly developing arms race to counter the Gundam threat though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

I would have liked 00 more if it was less "super Gundams that run around like athletes clowning tanks" and more like advanced mobile suit designs building off of the design philosophies of the tieren and other walking tank style mobile suits.

I did like the rapidly developing arms race to counter the Gundam threat though.

Yeah I like seeing the Gundams trying to gain a foothold in global politics, while the established order doesn't know how to deal with people who don't just blindly follow their lead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I like seeing the Gundams trying to gain a foothold in global politics, while the established order doesn't know how to deal with people who don't just blindly follow their lead.

That's not the point or The Plan though; The point was to create a common enemy no one global superpower could beat on their own, forcing them into mutual cooperation.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not the point or The Plan though; The point was to create a common enemy no one global superpower could beat on their own, forcing them into mutual cooperation.

Well I'm only like 4 eps in so far.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Why did nobody tell me that one of the guntanks attacks in Gundam Versus was Ryu kamikaze-ing into a target like it ain't no thing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

https://gundampans.tumblr.com/post/168988680536/episode-25-english-title-the-battle-of-odessa

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

The whole idea behind the Gundams is that they had a completely separate design evolution from all other Mobile Suits. Celestial Being spent decades after the discovery of GN Particles creating their own MS to utilize that new technology only they had access to.

00 does show the evolution of the other MS once they get GN technology, but since they were mainly interested in mass producing suits they just settled on the GN-X, which takes elements from all over the place. Plus those weird samurai MS that were evolutions of the Flag

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

The whole idea behind the Gundams is that they had a completely separate design evolution from all other Mobile Suits. Celestial Being spent decades after the discovery of GN Particles creating their own MS to utilize that new technology only they had access to.

00 does show the evolution of the other MS once they get GN technology, but since they were mainly interested in mass producing suits they just settled on the GN-X, which takes elements from all over the place. Plus those weird samurai MS that were evolutions of the Flag

Graham’s samurai stuff was actually a hybrid design incorporating elements of the Flag and the Ahead, which was itself a next-gen Tieren using tech introduced by the GN-X series. So he was basically flying every mook-suit in 00 rolled into one and given a weeby makeover.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
His name is Mr. Bushido... And while you were jerking off to cartoon girls he was studying the blade.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That may be the idea behind the Gundam but nothing except tradition dictates that that must always be the case. The Tierens and the other pre-Gundam mobile suits in 00 have some pretty fascinating designs and I'd love to see a Gundam show based more around methodical tank combat. And before you suggest 08th MS team, ye, I know it hits most of those beats.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

That may be the idea behind the Gundam but nothing except tradition dictates that that must always be the case. The Tierens and the other pre-Gundam mobile suits in 00 have some pretty fascinating designs and I'd love to see a Gundam show based more around methodical tank combat. And before you suggest 08th MS team, ye, I know it hits most of those beats.
If you want tank combat MS IGLOO is what you're looking for.

You don't want MS IGLOO.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The explicit point of the Gundams in 00 was that they were meant to be so far beyond everyone else technologically that it was plausible that the entire world would need to unite to face their tiny rear end little terrorist organization on an even footing. That entire idea wouldn't mesh with Gundams that were limited by any sort of constraints about fighting methodically or tactically. A story setup where that isn't the case could be very interesting, but it would deviate so hard from the way 00 is written that it would require an entirely different backstory and setup.

08th MS Team isn't even really about methodical tank combat. You still have crazy poo poo happening like the Gouf Custom fight, the ridiculous suicide dive onto the Apsalus III, and the Gouf Flight Type fight from the OVA thingie. Gundam's fight choreography across the entire franchise has always been very flamboyant and it's hard for me to conceive of a "methodical" fight involving Gundams.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe in some future AU setting they might finally come up with something like I'm suggesting.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I mean if you want more realistic MS combat you could always get a PS2 and a copy of Zeonic Front which relies heavily on squad tactics and developing a plan before each mission. The White Base mission still gives me nightmares.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kanos posted:

08th MS Team isn't even really about methodical tank combat. You still have crazy poo poo happening like the Gouf Custom fight, the ridiculous suicide dive onto the Apsalus III, and the Gouf Flight Type fight from the OVA thingie. Gundam's fight choreography across the entire franchise has always been very flamboyant and it's hard for me to conceive of a "methodical" fight involving Gundams.

Bernie's last stand in 0080 probably comes closest.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or something like the early episodes of Code geass with the knightmare frames, before the show crawled up its own rear end and said "gently caress internal logic have a flying spiky orange that shoots lazers."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or something like the early episodes of Code geass with the knightmare frames, before the show crawled up its own rear end and said "gently caress internal logic have a flying spiky orange that shoots lazers."

Pfft, like anything with Code Geass’s tone and aesthetic was going to stay grounded for long.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The initial premise was interesting, at least. And the roller skating robots were pretty neat until they started flying.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I mean if you want more realistic MS combat you could always get a PS2 and a copy of Zeonic Front which relies heavily on squad tactics and developing a plan before each mission. The White Base mission still gives me nightmares.

Amuro counting while he just massacres all of your teams haunts me to this day

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arcsquad12 posted:

It sounds to me like you really need to watch VOTOMs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't think even VOTOMs is particularly noteworthy as methodical tank combat, presuming that means using tactics to maneuver enemies in to positions of weakness, multiple crew members to a unit or at least team mates in mass produced units corralling the enemy etc. VOTOMs does have skating mechs and the protagonist does mostly use uncustomized mass produced units but most of Chirico's fights are about him outdoing people on his own; not any kind of tactical combat. I think he just needs to stop looking for tank combat in mecha anime, because it tends to treat mechs as planes and not tanks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In all seriousness, Arcsquad12 watch Girls und Panzer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

In all seriousness, Arcsquad12 watch Girls und Panzer

Are you trying to turn him into a sports fan