Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MMF Freeway posted:

I thought he meant the side missions that are just a gauntlet of encounters.

None of those are really locked rooms with waves of enemies coming at you except for poo poo like Return of the Gourd, which is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Azran posted:

For the player or for gear? The maximum player level is 700~750 (can't recall precisely). Gear can go all the way to 300 I think? And that's not even taking into account +levels. You've barely scratched the surface of the gear system by the end of NG.

Sorry i meant gear.

I also wanted to ask about gear specifically, when entering into 150 and Way of the Strong difficulty. Right now my best defense rating gear is light, with Hayabusa and Red Demon sets I took from a handful of revenants, and I just got one shotted by an Axe Yokai after messing up a dodge. To be fair, I did enter the Blessed Village (lvl 200 difficulty), but I did also get hit by a sentry once in 130 difficulty and that I got the same result.

Is the same poo poo going to happen to me wearing Medium and Heavy Gear? I went through the original game in Warrior of the West armor, and then Fanatic armor, spending enough points to be under 70%, but I still got hit like 1-2 times and i'm wondering what's the point of even wearing this armor

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Quick update, Maria is kicking my rear end silly.

EDIT: Okay, cool, I needed help, but I beat her. Now i'm fighting Shinobi dogs in an open battlefield.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 18, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Fargin Icehole posted:

Quick update, Maria is kicking my rear end silly.

EDIT: Okay, cool, I needed help, but I beat her. Now i'm fighting Shinobi dogs in an open battlefield.

You can also dress like a naruto now too!

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
What exactly does the Defense Multiplier stat on armor do?

The issue I have now is that I have newer armor that has a higher defense multiplier but would require me breaking a set bonus that gives me another 1.1% damage reduction. Since both pieces are light(1.2% damage reduction each) is it worth breaking the bonus for a higher defense multiplier?

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Well crap, guess I may need to switch back. I don't mind the B agility, I just really like the sword + KSG playstyle and throwing mikibushi everywhere to show down enemies since they're more reliable than Sloth and can hit multiple people.

My WotW set is a much lower level, I don't have the smithing text for it like I do the IJ set, so I'm not sure if I wanna swap back... main thing is the sword, since the only set sword I have is literally 20 levels below me. Then again I mostly would use Raikiri anyway.

You need to kill more revenants. Look for graves with all purple gear and whatever weapon you want. Warrior of the west gear is super common (most people with katanas will be wearing it) and so long as you’re killing revenants above your level you’ll reliably get good gear. I honestly didn’t equip Mob dropped armor
Until NG, revenants just have better stuff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JacksLibido posted:

You need to kill more revenants. Look for graves with all purple gear and whatever weapon you want. Warrior of the west gear is super common (most people with katanas will be wearing it) and so long as you’re killing revenants above your level you’ll reliably get good gear. I honestly didn’t equip Mob dropped armor
Until NG, revenants just have better stuff.

Well yeah, that's what I've been doing. Problem is at this point most WotW Revenants with katanas have Raikiri [sp] instead of the actual set katana. It's annoying.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay so i'm powering through Way of the Strong so I can get to the next difficulty. What's next, Way of the Wise? Demon? Should I keep on bothering to make my gear go past lvl 150 +5?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Way of the Demon, then Wise, then Nioh. The first mission of every new difficulty will drop stuff that's leagues better than what you currently have, so don't worry too much about upgrading things.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Hey so I played through about half of the base game earlier this year, really enjoyed it but got distracted and stopped playing, been meaning to get back in and finish it off and I just saw the season pass is on sale. Is it worth grabbing right now and saving the £10? I know it's extra areas that go on after the main game and then extra difficulty modes and stuff that I assume can be applied to every mission? Are the extra areas pretty different from the main game, that's always a big thing I like in extra dlc, adding a bit more variety.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yeah, the areas are really different and there are some interesting gimmicks. I enjoyed it quite a bit, despite the efforts of those long necked Yokai assholes. :argh:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the new weapons you get with the dlc are really good.

Odachi (greatsword) and Tonfas. Tonfas are so fun.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Cool, purchased then. Probably won't see much of that stuff for a bit, suspect the game will take some time to chew through but figured I'd definitely want it when I get there so may as well grab it now. Do the new weapons have a chance of dropping in all the content just like other weapons once you have the DLC installed?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Yes. Also, something that confused me at first: when you defeat the final boss in standard difficulty, you get divine rarity drops for every weapon type except for the Tonfa and Odachi, but as soon as you start the DLC you'll find a divine tonfa (second DLC) and a divine odachi (first DLC) nearby, so don't worry.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm getting better at odachi's stance dance and is both cool and effective. When you kill a wheel demon by doing perfect dodges and timing different stance swings and not get hit once feels amazing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i bought this over christmas (a sale would've been nice but oh well). having fun. about 10 hours in. still getting a handle on the mechanics. i suppose the only thing i'm disliking is how much loot there is, and all the gear modification. feels a bit needlessly complicated. not a fan of randomly generated looted, either. i've chosen swords/odachi as my two weapons. i'm trying to keep my equipment load low - my understanding is there are 30% and 70% ki-regeneration notches? given this, is there anything experienced players can suggest i should aim for in terms of gear, stat distribution, skills etc? have i chosen a dumb weapon combination?

also i'm noticing some weirdness in terms of the payoffs from leveling stats - like getting a life boost from increasing skill which is as big as increasing body, and a damage increase for my weapons greater than increasing their stats. i'll assume that's just a gear thing unless there's something obscure about the stat system going on.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Neurosis posted:

i bought this over christmas (a sale would've been nice but oh well). having fun. about 10 hours in. still getting a handle on the mechanics. i suppose the only thing i'm disliking is how much loot there is, and all the gear modification. feels a bit needlessly complicated. not a fan of randomly generated looted, either. i've chosen swords/odachi as my two weapons. i'm trying to keep my equipment load low - my understanding is there are 30% and 70% ki-regeneration notches? given this, is there anything experienced players can suggest i should aim for in terms of gear, stat distribution, skills etc? have i chosen a dumb weapon combination?

also i'm noticing some weirdness in terms of the payoffs from leveling stats - like getting a life boost from increasing skill which is as big as increasing body, and a damage increase for my weapons greater than increasing their stats. i'll assume that's just a gear thing unless there's something obscure about the stat system going on.

In nutshell you should increase all stats 10 because you get the biggest increases all around.

After you specialize depending on your build.

Stamina is universal to all builds since it increases equipment load, important if you use heavy stuff

Spirit is also important, you cant get passive bonuses from Guardian Spirits without the required amount

Dexterity and Magic can also be considered universal since both have some pretty important skills you need and you need to level up these for skill points and spell capacity

Everything else is completely dependant on the main stat of your preferred weapon

Since you are using Katana and Odachi, you either focus on Heart (primary katana scaling, secondary to Odachi) or Strength (the other way around) or go for a 50/50 split

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 29, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Don't worry about focusing on any weapons yet though. You'll want to use every weapon until you've got 500k proficiency (status screen has those stats) anyway because a) you get a feel for every weapon and b) you get free samurai skill points for it and c) you unlock the super special mystic skills. Just use whatever you think is cool and if it turns out it's getting boring or you don't like, just respec.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I just got this game, and is every boss gonna be as hard as Onryoki?

I've played a fair bit of Dark Souls, I've beaten the first two and gotten most of the way through 3, but this first boss in Nioh was really frustrating for me. I probably spent like 2 hours total banging my head against it until I finally got it down.

I feel like I'm missing something about this game.

e: more specifically, the first boss felt like more of an endurance test than anything. I couldn't do enough damage, didn't have enough healing items, and he could kill me instantly with a 2 hit combo.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 30, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nah, you just have to learn that Nioh is not dark souls. I struggled against the first boss as well.

Nioh is more like Devil May Cry with a stamina bar in the hardest difficulty. One of those 3-touch death modes.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I just got the game recently too, and have been describing the bosses to people who haven't played it as like a dark souls boss fight, but 2.5 times faster, double their health bar, and 1-2-hit deaths. My experience with bosses is that I've had some I've had to fight as many times as Onryoki or more, but none have felt quite as impenetrable since figuring things out a bit.

I'm getting to the point where the game likes to throw really tough (mini)bosses at me... PLUS 2-4 flaming heads. Hope they tone that down a bit. It is rough.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The biggest, biggest difference that'll help is that blocking is overpowered in Nioh, more so than Dark Souls 1 with a heavy shield. When you block, you essentially put up a barrier around your entire body. That means all around you, including sticky bombs will plink off.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
13 hours in now and loving this game. finding myself spending a lot of time just fighting revenants for fun. definitely like the combat more than dark souls 1 and 2, and maybe 3 and bloodborne. i never found myself having fun doing the souls equivalents of some of the grindy stuff i'm choosing to do in this game. obviously the world/exploration/story/art is nowhere near as good as souls, but the rpg mechanics and combat are really good (as mentioned before i don't like randomised loot but the other systems in place regarding gear are pretty good).

i guess i'm writing that for anyone ducking their head into the thread and thinking about buying, as i'm imagining nearly everyone like that will have played souls.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
In my experience, it takes about 3 hours to get into the game, and the rest is just history. I'm 100 hours logged and i'm plowing through the hard difficulty of the game.

Not really looking forward to doing the Samurai of Sawayama map, it' was so goddamn drab, it was made to call upon a visitor on the weekends

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 30, 2017

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I've played a fair bit of Dark Souls, I've beaten the first two and gotten most of the way through 3, but this first boss in Nioh was really frustrating for me. I probably spent like 2 hours total banging my head against it until I finally got it down.

e: more specifically, the first boss felt like more of an endurance test than anything. I couldn't do enough damage, didn't have enough healing items, and he could kill me instantly with a 2 hit combo.

The first 2 bosses (not counting tutorial boss, who's a joke) are the hardest ones, mostly because you don't have access to all your stuff yet. Bosses get a lot easier after that (and when these two bosses show up again as mini-bosses they're far easier).

If you're having trouble with Onryoki or the 2nd boss, the important things to remember are: Blocking is 100% damage reduction, 360 degrees, instantly - don't try to dodge everything. Most bosses have very predictable attack patterns - Onryoki for example has an extremely limited moveset (he's got something like 4 attacks total), slowing down the fight by blocking and backing off can let you figure out what the enemies actually do. You're not at full power yet, things get much easier.

Oh and for gods sake get the dodging-counts-as-ki-pulse skills immediately.

vvvGet a heavy chest piece. Heavy chest armor has more damage reduction than entire set of light armor combined. If you play with light armor only you will die in 2 hits, from anything including mooks. It's playable like that, but it kinda sucks.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I wasn't getting anywhere with him until I decided to put on my lightest armour and then beat him easily. I'm now a further two bosses in and I've gone back and experimented with heavier armour, but have always gone back to blue roll. Seems that things hit so hard, the best defence is just not getting hit, way more than Dark Souls even. Don't know how true that really is, but it's what's got me this far.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

I wasn't getting anywhere with him until I decided to put on my lightest armour and then beat him easily. I'm now a further two bosses in and I've gone back and experimented with heavier armour, but have always gone back to blue roll. Seems that things hit so hard, the best defence is just not getting hit, way more than Dark Souls even. Don't know how true that really is, but it's what's got me this far.

Yeah that’s exactly what I did to beat him too.
Initially I had heavy armor on and I didn’t immediately know what it was affecting. Like there wasn’t a fat roll like Souls games. Eventually I figured out I was probably always Ki starved because of the armor, so I went as light as I could without being naked

And I don’t think the heavier armor was helping my defense all that much since the boss could still take off half my health in one hit with it on

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Heavier armour is more for the improvements to blocking than outright mitigation. Light armour will get you staggered if you try and block anything but the weakest hits.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Use elemental abilities liberally. Stacking two elemental debuffs on an enemy inflicts Confuse, which reduces their stagger resistance to 0

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay, wow, I didn't know you could use a Hand Cannon to blow the clones's faces off in the Queen's Eyes mission. I feel like an idiot trying to take them all on the first time around. Kinda wish I didn't use a Himorogi Branch there, that fight was pissing me off in Way of the Strong difficulty

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i used the hand cannon for the first time against the ice woman in world 3 or whatever. it kinda trivialised the fight.

currently dying a bit to the spear duel guy. i do like that the hardest fights are the samurai duels. feels appropriate from an rpg perspective. using the opportunity to learn to parry, which i haven't bothered with to date. low-stance dodging, which is what i used on the first dude after dying to him a bunch, doesn't work so well.

i have wondered whether, if you pick up plate armour in the tower of london, you can do appearance matching to run around in a western knight outfit? i didn't pick them up because those dudes were hard to fight when i'd just picked the game up, and i'm growing tired of my chef's hat and pajamas ensemble.

edit: although the red demon armour looks pretty sweet. except for the head, for which i will maintain my chef's hat.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 2, 2018

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Neurosis posted:

i have wondered whether, if you pick up plate armour in the tower of london, you can do appearance matching to run around in a western knight outfit? i didn't pick them up because those dudes were hard to fight when i'd just picked the game up, and i'm growing tired of my chef's hat and pajamas ensemble.

I used that look for a long time, yeah. You'll get the chance to pick some up once you reach the end of the game

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you're not rocking the sad woman or Nue masks in every cutscene, I don't know what to tell you.

Edit: I just got back into this last night and decide to try out the Red Demon set for the first time (with 0 spear skills) on a random Tome side mission too find her dad at a bath house... can't be that hard, right?? :shepface:

Managed to kill that boss encounter on the first try simply because I had so much damage stacked on my Living Weapon and got lucky with several early dodges, but holy poo poo walking into that room to see what I was up against was daunting. :psyduck:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 2, 2018

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I didn't learn until the end of the game to read through all of the options menu, turns out there's a prompt to turn off helmets!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
:stare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzaq9a4QU8Y

I didn't think a bare-hands/fist-only approach would be that effective.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There a tons of modifiers for it and I wish I had the ethereal set bonus drop for me before quitting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
what the gently caress is with soul matching cost

it costs more to match my rare katana with the exact same kind of katana than it does to match my rare spear with higher level weapons of entirely different kinds

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
okay, i looked it up. apparently it gets very expensive to keep matching a weapon you got at a low level. so it's hard to keep your favourite weapon up to date, and getting the optimal mix of weapon attributes is very hard.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Neurosis posted:

okay, i looked it up. apparently it gets very expensive to keep matching a weapon you got at a low level. so it's hard to keep your favourite weapon up to date, and getting the optimal mix of weapon attributes is very hard.

Don't marry yourself to a weapon if you're still at the point where you're soul matching to increase raw levels. Just replace your existing weapons with higher level ones that'll give you bigger numbers.

For one thing in the first playthrough your level goes up so fast you'll be soul matching after every 2-3 missions and as you've learned the costs quickly become untenable. For another when it's time to do soul matching and tweaking of weapon attributes you will be doing a lot of it, more then you can imagine, and you will want to save the cash for that point in the game anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
bleh. wish smithing texts were only on those boss-only levels. having to run through normal levels (even though it's way fasteronce you know what you're doing) is irritating. trying to get the smithing text for the justice ministry set. have all the luck stuff i can and the luck guardian spirit equipped but no dice yet.