Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Get a refund imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Fission Mailed!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
3300 * 2 is 6600 for anyone confused out there.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hello.

Virtual Captain posted:

I'm glad of the even numbers because I fear change.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Persistent and account bound invisible character. Renders the game unplayable.

So... i spawned on Olistar, and im invisible. On the command box it appears to be missing some suit files
Im this little ball on the middle of the screen: https://i.imgur.com/AgiUSXI.jpg

Already restarted, killed myself, verified game files, redownloaded all 3.0, already login relogin, etc.... deleted user folder

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Virtual Captain posted:

Persistent and account bound invisible character. Renders the game unplayable.

So... i spawned on Olistar, and im invisible. On the command box it appears to be missing some suit files
Im this little ball on the middle of the screen: https://i.imgur.com/AgiUSXI.jpg

Already restarted, killed myself, verified game files, redownloaded all 3.0, already login relogin, etc.... deleted user folder

maybe he shouldn't play the game wrong

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I love the delete your user folder if your character model doesn't render.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lladre posted:

I love the delete your user folder if your character model doesn't render.

Someone should suggest buying a new graphics card as a solution to these problems. See how many people blindly follow it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Chalks posted:

Someone should suggest buying a new graphics card as a solution to these problems. See how many people blindly follow it.

I bet if you shoved some edited Star Citizen gameplay on youtube with good FPS, and claimed it was all due to "insert graphics card here", you'd get a bunch of people to bite.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

KISS stands for: kill yourself stupid

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well I'm going to try and play 3.0 again.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

Chalks posted:

Remember when people were buying new graphics cards in anticipation of running star citizen?

4 years ago.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I know this came up earlier, about how the ship in SQ42 has only three fighters?

Elite you can buy a class 7 fighter module for specific ships. Has two bays, thus (if I read this right) you can launch two fighters... with 13 more in reserve. The limit is likely a balance thing in this case, but once again, something E:D does better (that and you can have a friend fly them for you, or an NPC).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Virtual Captain posted:

Im just excited for the next milestone and I expected more from you.

You have failed me, NOT the other way around. Remember that! :argh:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

iospace posted:

So, I know this came up earlier, about how the ship in SQ42 has only three fighters?

Elite you can buy a class 7 fighter module for specific ships. Has two bays, thus (if I read this right) you can launch two fighters... with 13 more in reserve. The limit is likely a balance thing in this case, but once again, something E:D does better (that and you can have a friend fly them for you, or an NPC).

yeah but the fighter just sort of poops out it doesn't have a bunch of guys break dancing while you fight with the garbage UI trying to get your ship out of the other ship.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
12 minutes later I'm still waiting to play Star Citizen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Virtual Captain posted:

Im this little ball on the middle of the screen
Poetry.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
20 minutes later 60% of my GPU is being used to render a black screen.

Seriously what the gently caress CIG.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

are you feeling immersed

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

12 minutes later I'm still waiting to play Star Citizen.

I think you have already suffered enough, commando

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

5 years 12 minutes later I'm still waiting to play Star Citizen.

FTFY

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

After waiting 20 minutes to load the game verify if you need to reinstall all 70 gb of data in order to try again.

Do not forget to delete your user folder at least seven times during this process.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The game is clearly running. Music is playing, I can activate the console, it's just... not doing anything.

This is amazing.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Maybe post a thread on /r/StarCitizen asking for help

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
Good afternoon to all the SC fans who impotently read this thread and furiously post about Derek Smart and Goons "ruining everything'.

I want you all to know who you are railing against, at least in part. You should know that Goons are not monolithic in any real sense of the word. We've numbered over 190,000, of which there might be a couple score of thousands that post regularly.

Most of us are here because we like to laugh or have friends who are funnier than us with whom we like to hang around.

Let me tell you about who I am. I am a guy whose businesses in Star Wars Galaxies brought in tens of millions of credits a week. I supplied bounty hunters with exploding droids optimized to knock out jedi because it was hilarious.

(We had to unfortunately have a rule put in that restricted using landmines in our city because it was affecting the bottom line. It nearly did not get put in because of how funny it was to watch people randomly get exploded by residential landmines. )

We were very successful at humor. We made bank because we found things funny as gently caress to do with people.

With that as a preface, let me tell you God's honest truth. You guys are not only hilariously fanatical about Star Citizen, you are also loathsome. On top of that, you are as a population, about the least self-aware I've encountered outside of people still attending Eckankar seminars. Plus - you'll probably get a bunch of OLD Goons to start planning poo poo to do to you.

You are a wonderful bunch of targets. This is not going to change. This is something you should realize and see how it undergirds nearly all of the posting in this and the preceding threads - you guys are worthy of our attention because you are remarkably and stunningly stupid. You guys deserve to be griefed.

We want to laugh so hard at the crushing of your dreams - either through the failure of CIG/RSI's ability to stay open, or the failure of CIG/RSI's "product" if somehow a crippled version lands in your snot-encrusted fingers.

I want them to optimize the gently caress out of the models and reduce the poly count by two orders of magnitude so that CIG/RSI will shove a shitpile out the door that can handle thirty or more players - because I want to buy in and make a business to grief every one of you until you quit in a snot-bubble-blowing rage.
I want the game to come out with enough mechanics to allow me to make a business empire to create the machine to kick your rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbZWXPaiM0s&t=53s

I need a good laugh.

PS> We do ruin everything - for laughs.

I hope this helps. I also hope this gives you an aneurysm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Well I gave it 30 minutes and nothing happened. Will uninstall and try again on my SSD.

Thank you for playing Star Citizen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The game is clearly running. Music is playing, I can activate the console, it's just... not doing anything.

This is amazing.
The console knows what's up with the project.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Chalks posted:

And if that doesn't work, move to a new home in an area served by a different ISP.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Republicanus posted:

Good afternoon to all the SC fans who impotently read this thread and furiously post about Derek Smart and Goons "ruining everything'.

I want you all to know who you are railing against, at least in part. You should know that Goons are not monolithic in any real sense of the word. We've numbered over 190,000, of which there might be a couple score of thousands that post regularly.

Most of us are here because we like to laugh or have friends who are funnier than us with whom we like to hang around.

Let me tell you about who I am. I am a guy whose businesses in Star Wars Galaxies brought in tens of millions of credits a week. I supplied bounty hunters with exploding droids optimized to knock out jedi because it was hilarious.

(We had to unfortunately have a rule put in that restricted using landmines in our city because it was affecting the bottom line. It nearly did not get put in because of how funny it was to watch people randomly get exploded by residential landmines. )

We were very successful at humor. We made bank because we found things funny as gently caress to do with people.

With that as a preface, let me tell you God's honest truth. You guys are not only hilariously fanatical about Star Citizen, you are also loathsome. On top of that, you are as a population, about the least self-aware I've encountered outside of people still attending Eckankar seminars. Plus - you'll probably get a bunch of OLD Goons to start planning poo poo to do to you.

You are a wonderful bunch of targets. This is not going to change. This is something you should realize and see how it undergirds nearly all of the posting in this and the preceding threads - you guys are worthy of our attention because you are remarkably and stunningly stupid. You guys deserve to be griefed.

We want to laugh so hard at the crushing of your dreams - either through the failure of CIG/RSI's ability to stay open, or the failure of CIG/RSI's "product" if somehow a crippled version lands in your snot-encrusted fingers.

I want them to optimize the gently caress out of the models and reduce the poly count by two orders of magnitude so that CIG/RSI will shove a shitpile out the door that can handle thirty or more players - because I want to buy in and make a business to grief every one of you until you quit in a snot-bubble-blowing rage.
I want the game to come out with enough mechanics to allow me to make a business empire to create the machine to kick your rear end.

I need a good laugh.

I want to grief citizens too friend :)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well once they get it optimized it'll only use 40%. 50, tops

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicanus posted:

I need a good laugh.

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru.

:same:

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

The thing that blows my mind isn't that there's bugs-- because the statement by itself "Alpha builds are buggy" isn't wrong-- it's the sheer variety and critical nature of every single one of them. It is loving rotten from top to bottom.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Foo Diddley posted:

Well once they get it optimized it'll only use 40%. 50, tops

The other 50% will be used on the CRASH pop-up notification.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Republicanus posted:

I need a good laugh.

We already took over one guild in star citizen. And we did it without even playing star citizen.We are actually ruining their game even when we are not playing it.
https://twitter.com/RenegadeSquadBW?lang=en
Goons ruin everything

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

The thing that blows my mind isn't that there's bugs-- because the statement by itself "Alpha builds are buggy" isn't wrong-- it's the sheer variety and critical nature of every single one of them. It is loving rotten from top to bottom.

Exactly. This is not an alpha product. It's not a product at all. It's a collection of concepts loosely held together by prayer and lovely programming, and it has no hope of ever being anything near what Chris has marketed it to be.

He's better off settling with CryTek, selling Squadron 42 as a standalone CryEngine product, and then turning around and making a completely new engine for Star Citizen. Actually the project would be better off if they paid Chris Roberts and the rest of the executive team $10M to gently caress off and let actual competent developers finish the job (and by finish I mean start), but neither one of those are going to happen because it would require Chris to accept that he's not the savior of PC gaming and is instead a walking punchline.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

UNCUT PHILISTINE posted:

It's also not OK to hide behind "it's alpha" in almost 2018 when the game was supposed to be delivered in 2014. Either Croberts is an incompetent manager who can't estimate project dates and he does not understand development, or he's an incompetent manager that can't execute or deliver. For Shitizens it's somehow neither and he's great at everything.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

What gets me of the "Its alpha" excuse is that its done without anyone giving any critical thought about how long the alpha stage is going to last. It'll continue to be called alpha till every single gameplay element they've sold is actually in game to be tested. They just marketed a ship and gameplay element that will take years to implement, whose groundwork doesn't exist at all, years after they sold things like dedicated mining and salvaging ships that still dont have any ETA. There is no reason to believe that SC will be out of alpha till like 2020 assuming they dont run out of cash first (they will)

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

DEEDEE achieves the impossible with a sublime indictment that actually gets Tark to stand up and tip the hat — nice!

Klyith posted:

The rest of your post was true and good, but I wanna pick at this a little bit.

What you are describing -- SP campaign, lots of voice acting, mocapped in-engine semi-interactive cutscenes, the Wing Commander 4 in 201x -- is not quick or cheap. Even if you are far far more competent than CIG in their wildest dreams, hire regular videogame talent rather than hollywood names, and do every bioware-style "false choice" trick in the book you just cannot do that.

That type of highly produced SP content is pretty much the most expensive thing in video games today on a per-hour gameplay basis. There are fewer corners to cut and more people you need to employ. That's the reason why everything these days is open-world checklists, procedural content, and multiplayer. This is why COD's SP campaigns are like 8 hours, and SW Battlefront 2's was under 5. It is cheaper to make the huge LA scale map for GTAV than it is to make the SP campaign.

These are fair points and it became clear pretty quickly that pushing out something more retro-tastic than revolutionary became unacceptable to Chris pretty early. But I personally believe they started there and could’ve stayed there and nailed it.

Squadron never should’ve tried to be more. It was only ever something the minority of a 700,000 member customer base wanted. And most are owed it now for free anyway.

When I picture the Squadron 42 of the original pitch, and the Squadron 42 spec’ed to the probable market size for a PC-exclusive indie space dogfighter in 2014, I picture a much leaner work that hits the nostalgia notes really hard but isn’t trying to best AAA standards across multiple game genres while also delivering the biggest moviegame in history. Whereas Star Citizen’s success seems defined by ship monetization, Squadron’s can and should’ve been in beautifully packaging up an old school nostalgia trip. It can’t possibly ever compete with Star Citizen as money printing machine, but could’ve been a good will cementer for the olds and gateway title / loss leader for that subset of younger gamers who want space pewpew for Pros. If done right, it could’ve won their hearts then turned them over to Star Citizen to win their spaceship dollahs.

Ace Combat games move in the ~1M unit range (including console sales) with dogfighting, missions and a dollop of animated scripted stuff. 6-7 hours for a single player campaign. Barring a Star Wars tie-in for consoles (like a Tie Fighter reboot), it seems to me like the market for a single-player PC only dogfighter title is a six-figure number. And again, CIG may have captured the majority already.

More than anything, SQ42 needed to be a great branched mission dogfighter + Mark Hamill nostalgia vehicle that felt familiar and fun. Chris had the team to do it. And it could’ve achieved that with a structure / scope more akin to Starlancer — a virtual carrier home-base with limited player ambulation, a briefing room, much of the cinematics piped in as video news broadcasts or HUD-delivered companion clips, etc.

Such choices would’ve been both note-perfect on the nostalgia front yet far easier on the production front. It could’ve avoided the exacting cinematic demands of a AAA title like Battlefront 2 using the structural cheats inherent in a game like Starlancer and seemed authentically old school while doing it. A win win for players and developers who know only too well the big bucks are in high-poly, higher dollar spaceship presales.

But then (surprise) Chris started yammering and yammering and somehow:

Chris Roberts posted:

We've got a really big story arch so we're going to split it into a trilogy like Wing Commander 1/2/3, that kind of thing. So Episode 1 is what people will play this year and has the equivalent of 70 Wing Commander style missions...

... We're thinking it's like 21 chapters or so, and each chapter is a segment of missions...

...So, it's about the equivalent of about 70 missions Wing Commander style and we think it's about 20 hours of gameplay...

...So, Episode 2 is "Behind Enemy Lines", which I think that everyone that backed until like $6 million gets for free and then Episode 3 would be the year after. So we'll have each one of these, each one is the equivalent of a huge triple A "Call of Duty" or better because we have a much bigger campaign.

Chris pushed expectations to “bigger than COD” levels and I’m hard pressed to believe the core backers of Squadron rest wanted / needed that. Even from the first couple of years of CIG material about Squadron, it sounded like they started with manageable targets and a familiar structure.

Yet the targets grew nuttier and nuttier as Chris’s gums flapped faster and the cash really started being lit on fire. Now it’s got to have AAA FPS missions. Now it’s got 1st & 3rd person animations that don’t cheat. Now there’s no loading screens. Now it’s got a 1200 page script. Now it’s assembled the most prestigious Hollywood cast in gaming history. Now it’s 20 hours of in-game cinematics.

All that scope creep turned it into Mission:Unprofitable.

Then a funny thing happened after Chris spent all that time talking up Wing Commander 5: The Bloatening... The vengeful god of Irony sent an Aleax of Squadron as a COD game and nut-tapped Chris so hard he put Squadron in hiding for an entire year. (The Road to CitizenCon having been contrived in advance to create the illusion of a last-minute SQ42 debut postponement when it was a foregone conclusion Chris wasn’t going to show it in the run up to Infinite Warfare’s launch because :lol:...)

I’m strongly of the opinion that despite its “failure” to only move 14 million copies first year that Infinite Warfare actually helped force the full and permanent retreat of Sq42 from what was originally planned as a stand-alone retail release to what it appears to be in all but name today: DLC for Star Citizen. (Maybe the Crytek lawsuit was the primary driver but from Brian Chambers Batgirl comments, it almost seems like CIG thought their legal risks were behind them earlier this year.)

Whatever the primary driver, now it’s an open world “let’s put the space back in this space game” bloater damned to sharing the PG playspace, pacing, etc. with the money-earning monster that really was the only show all along.

All of those expansions / deviations from the familiar and conceivably very achievable introduced orders of magnitude greater complexity while actually reducing the chance of yielding lean, mean, retro-tastic fun, a reality made evident by the belated Squadron circa end-of-2017 reveal. Sooooo much time and space and possibility with so little to fill it or give it life or meaning thanks to Chris’s “vision.”

At this point, it’s hard not to wonder whether the real plan is to put in a good effortshow on the Squadron 42 appearances front even while its internally been consigned to the dust bin. This is :tinfoil: of course and probably crap but the Coutts loan and Crytek lawsuit both put Squadron under unique outside duress, even while internal and external forces have long conspired to keep it constantly back-burnered. CIG testing of prospective demand via their latest mailing list signup is a suggestive tell and one wonders if, heading into year 6, they suddenly realized the marketing wisdom of a viability test for demand. Knowing that the majority of signups will already be owed the title for free, they may end up discovering only years late that a lean, mean retro-tastic approach would’ve been the smarter choice all along. Retro-tastic fun is the hip new trend with kids these days, anyway

G0RF fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Bomber Crew is really fun and is also an actual game you can play and show to friends and not be embarrassed unlike SC.

Also has the lazarin guy put in an appearance or did the shill checks not clear this month?