Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Things I like about TD
-Good honest crits that aren't afraid to tell you when your poo poo sucks (without this I would not do TD)
-Good community that supports people's growth as writers, even if that means being "nice" sometimes
-The kayfabe is good and helps facilitate honest feedback. It's also funny
-Prompts that force you to try new things (or at least be creative when you rewrite the same godawful drivel over and over)

Things I don't like about TD
-Needs more crits imo
-If you're gonna sign up to judge, write the crits. write them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Obliterati posted:

So long as it doesn't end up like my other writing groups where nobody dares say a bad thing and everyone claps at the end of a reading I'll be fine

I'm still kayfabe as gently caress tho fite me irl

I'll expand on this since apparently I have hit a button.

Kayfabe in irc and the thread gets a bit tiring but that's just me. Like when someone thinks they are terrible but you think they write good words. Or when you want advice and are told to write not bad words.

This might be a different thing about taking and filtering criticism from the kayfabe.

Seeing the comments though I'm in the minority so I figure the kayfabe will run strong.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Exmond posted:

Kayfabe in irc and the thread gets a bit tiring but that's just me. Like when someone thinks they are terrible but you think they write good words. Or when you want advice and are told to write not bad words.

those examples aren't kayfabe

kayfabe is showmanship. It's a way to add dimension and a touch of theatrical flourish to what is inherently a competitive community. All of my good TD friends are people who have bested me while cackling maniacally (or their version of cackling maniacally), or who I have bested while similarly crowing like a supervillain.

I think we are pretty nice, considering our motif comes from a movie about a literal post apocalyptic murder dome

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
oh yeah

stuff i like about td: it is what it is

stuff i don't like: n/a, td is td

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Things I like about Thunderdome
Savage critiquing

Things I dislike about Thunderdome
To start? You

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FYI: People who don't give me a genre are just getting whatever comes to mind. Caveat signupor.

Thranguy posted:

in, science fiction.

"We write the year 2347, a world abound with nuclear alacrity, when suddenly Frank enters with a smile."

Sham bam bamina! posted:

In in in in in in in in IN :toxx:

"The town was built in the lowlands, risking flood, as if the founders dared the mighty mountains surrounding the town by asking for giant rivulets of detritus, saying 'Give me them' to the mountains."

and

"'You are in pain; both physical and emotional,' my heart informed me."

Jay W. Friks posted:

In with Horror

"The meteor formed a crater, vampires crawling out of the crater."

Freakie posted:

In, give me a genre.

"Before I got hit by that ole bus, I never used to think much, but now I think PLENTY."

"Ben slams the packet down by the Officer. 'These are my kids don’t you see?' His own dear flesh, his dear old blood."

"All humans work at The Factory, which is run by robots and it makes more robots."

Exmond posted:

In with urban fantasy!

"No one could love a dark-past’d vampire like me."

Yoruichi posted:

Things I dislike about Thunderdome:
- How obsessed I’ve become with trying to win Thunderdome.

So, in, again, I guess. Sigh.

"'I hope I win,' thought Ernest, blinking laboriously; he was proud to represent his country in the Olympics, but 'What did it all mean?'"

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In

Jay W. Friks
Oct 4, 2016

Got Out.
Grimey Drawer
Things i like about TD:

It's still alive in an otherwise decaying portion on the interwebs.

Things I dislike:

Not enough spiders.

Jay W. Friks
Oct 4, 2016

Got Out.
Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

2018: writing our wrongs

I like dis one

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
2018teen: angry harry potter fanfic itt

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
things I like about Thunderdome:
-- The kayfabe

things I don't like about Thunderdome:
-- the community
-- the stories

:argh:

Seriously, though, I probably never would have entered without the over-the-top rage and insults. It makes criticism easier to take, because I know I'm gonna get told I suck.

And unfortunately, all of you idiots I've met IRL have been cool >:-[

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
gently caress thunderdome

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
thunderdome 2018teen: gently caress thunderdome

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
in

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
in no genre :toxx:

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Uranium Phoenix posted:

-Needs more crits imo

offering 10 line-by-line crits for any story written this year :toxx: that they will be finished by jan 13 2018

this is for anyone

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"The nights were getting longer and the days were getting shorter, and on the plane, there was a bomb!"

"'You are the greatest human in the world,' the dragon told the boy who desperately wanted to be a dragon, too."

"gently caress. I scream and pound my monitor so hard it stops functioning for four minutes, but I’m not using it anyway. I’m crying."

flerp posted:

in no genre :toxx:

"'How did you do that?' gasped Danielle in astonishment as Eric ran up and down the hill with astonishing speed."

AND

"For many, surfing can be a pleasant and enjoyable pastime, if you like surfing, but not Peter."

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
In with a sort of mushing together of horror with some sort of other genre fiction

Kaishai
Nov 3, 2010

Scoffing at modernity.
Things I like about Thunderdome:
  • Prompts.
  • Crits.
  • Kayfabe, when practiced by people who aren't terrible at it. It's the bedrock beneath our bloodstained sands.
  • That IRC and other communications are an optional part of the contest: what matters is still how, what, and whether you write.
  • That it is a contest. The competitive element is critical.
  • You can earn praise here, but it doesn't come free with admission.
  • The long history preserved in the archived threads. Read them sometime if you haven't!
  • Stories about demon swans that remind me the worst things can also be the best.
  • Sometimes Rhino draws stick figures.

Things I dislike:
  • Singleton judges. The situation can't always be helped, but entrants benefit from multiple crits and opinions.
  • The recent failure rate, though this may be receding some.
  • Interprompts weren't much more than an excuse to shitpost for a while.
  • Rape-camp stories that remind me the worst things should sometimes be burned to the ground.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

TD Week #281 BONUS CRITS u ungreatful merswine - Merman 3: Merman Hard with a Vengeance

Yoruichi
The Cowboy’s Sparkles

Good: Has a complete arc, a character that wants something, and a lighthearted tone. Some humor lands.
Bad: Doesn’t really do anything new or interesting, and it’s a comedy that’s mostly not funny
Verdict: One out of two cowboy boot spurs

Morning Bell
Weapons and Vices

Good: I like some descriptions, I’m interested in what’s going on, I have some sympathy for the characters
Bad: I don’t know what any of this means and too much of the setting is still unclear. The story and characters feel incomplete.
Verdict: Three out of five screeching space angels

Thranguy
The Skull Beneath

Short, explores an idea, sentimental/justice oriented
Good: Nice hook. Story has something to say about death, justice, need, and humanity. Good ending.
Bad: It could do to have more tension and conflict. The story is more day-in-the-life than anything with an arc. This could come from changing event orders, or expanding the thread of the story about how she came to the profession in the boat wreck.
Verdict: Seven out of eight tentacles giving whatever the tentacle equivalent of a thumbs up is

Antivehicular
How to Die in the Arms of a Merman

Good, well done complete character arc, defies initial expectations, creative and both light and heavy. Creates (though doesn’t fully explore) characters with implied complexity
Good: Stars a well done, complete character with his own arc, defies initial expectations (without some stupid twist). Creative idea. Has both light tones that keep it an easy read, and heavy tones that give the story meaning. Really enjoyed this. [Post judgement edit: Not surprised this won at all, it would’ve been my pick as well]
Bad: Some of the character complexity and fullness is only implied, not really explored. We could see more about the people the protagonist is connected to. Might also revise some sections that deal with the instructions. I didn’t like the end of step 5, for example.
Verdict: Four out of four manta rays swimming around mugging for the camera

The Saddest Rhino
Tank!

Good: It was pretty funny. It also takes on the subject of masculinity in a humorous way, and hangs a lampshade on its own flippantness.
Bad: I mean, it’s just a silly piece. It’s not, like, deep, or tense, but it does its thing.
Verdict: Two out of three merbros high fiving.

sparksbloom
Plans

Good: You’ve created an interesting, if rather silly, character.
Bad: The ending is dumb, and not a real ending. Getting kidnapped by The Government does not follow logically from the conflict (the conflict is that the merman wants acceptance, imo). In order for the ending to be satisfying the merman needed to learn something or change in some way, and he specifically goes out of his way to avoid growth. He more gets comeuppance for, uh, the sin of being a flake I guess? Also the story is kind of muddled and I dunno if it knows what it’s trying to be yet with its events and stuff. Like the Kelsey thing? She keeps recurring, but why? Who is she as a character? Etc.
Verdict: Three likes and four dislikes on a merman workout video

flerp
It Won't Hurt Him at All

Sentimental story about a good dog (all dogs imo), practically cheating
Good: Has a good dog in it (all dogs imo). It has people and dogs and they come across as characters with some depth. It’s about affection, acceptance, and perhaps borrowed time. It’s kinda funny.
Bad: The story is mostly about the dog changing. I think there needs to be more about the girl and the mom and their relationship, which the dog might be a mediator for? Or perhaps something more about what the dog meant to the girl, and how it changed her. I dunno, I guess it can be about the dog but it feels like it’s missing something.
Verdict: A big sloppy dog kiss, then dog hair all over. god that’s never coming off that sweater.

GenJoe
For Guys and Girl

Good: Nice imagery gets us the setting. It, like, kinda almost has developed characters? And some other pretty good imagery later.
Bad: Oh my god it just rambles on. What is this story about? Why are you telling us it? Jesus gently caress please let something interesting happen. Okay it’s like a slice of life or something but christ you gotta give us something it’s just a bunch of random stuff.
Verdict: Three missed nickels hurled at a merstripper

BeefSupreme
Out of the Raines

Good: Uh. Hmm. I guess the ending is kinda funny. It defied my expectations in that I assumed a fight was going to happen but it didn’t.
Bad: This did not do justice to the legendary legacy of Chad Derringer. Most of the plot happens off screen. The story sort of relies on meta, cultural, or personal knowledge of a jackass in order to make the vengeance against Chad satisfying. I dunno why you chose the narrator you did because he’s at best tangential to the story. This should be from the girl’s perspective. The story/conflict (get back at Chad) also doesn’t really have to do with what the intro promised (men with money get their way). It’s more about getting back at a bully/jerk.
Verdict: A pair of broken aviators by the side of the road

Bad Seafood
Cookery

Good: Good hook. Some okay characterization. I get a sense of the mom and dad fairly quickly.
Bad: Not much of an ending. The main character was discontent with her life, but that’s not really addressed; we mostly get why she’s discontent. Too much of the story is her moping about. There’s big chunks of the story I’m not sure serve any purpose.
Verdict: The soup was too thin

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
thunderdome 2018: write poo poo get crit

things I like about TD: good atmosphere, easy to read, good archives. the crits are appreciated and the community is better than expected.

things I don't like about TD: sometimes I can't tell if the kayfabe is real and silly or an excuse to insult people when otherwise you couldn't get away with it. also crits are hard.

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Horse Facts

True and Interesting Facts about Horse

flerp posted:

offering 10 line-by-line crits for any story written this year :toxx: that they will be finished by jan 13 2018

this is for anyone

I would like a crit for this story please: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803906&userid=221734#post478601222

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

things i like

Good Words! oh yeah you are a good good word aren't you? Yes you are! So good. Nice good words. Good words!

things i dislike

Bad Words, so I heard you've been bad aren't you. well why don't you come over and I'll teach you a lesson. So bad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

they are literally the worst

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
:toxx: to finish crits for Week 274 and Week 281 before Jan 1 2018.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
In, Horror

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Things I like about TD:

fjgj
prompts
crits

Things I don't like about TD:

when j isn't f

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Thank you sebmojo for the anime and the games! Oh and for the heartwarming story about Santa clause giving a heartwarming speech. This TD Secret santa thing has been a blast. Sorry for being hard to get a hold of over the x-mas holidays.

The anime will be put to good use. muwhahaha. MUWAHAHAHAH.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 28, 2017

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Exmond posted:

Oh and for the heartwarming story about Santa clause giving a heartwarming speech.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 28, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Things I like about Thunderdome:
-Friends :3:
-Reading stories
-Writing stories
-Our sense of humor

Things I dislike about Thunderdome:
-Me not signing up that much
-Indecision over whether or not to pull my lovely stories just in case I feel like rewriting and publishing them in the future. Yes, all of them. I might pull all of them.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Solitair posted:

-Indecision over whether or not to pull my lovely stories just in case I feel like rewriting and publishing them in the future. Yes, all of them. I might pull all of them.

just edit and include the link to the thunderdome.cc entry, it's easier to remove stories there than the weird radium phpbb of these dead fat gay forums

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Yeah you're better pulling too many than too few - if people really want to read your back catalogue they'll be doing it on .cc anyway.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
My thoughts on what to pull: oddly enough, TD has lurkers and people who go back and read goldmined threads. Those people won't have archive accounts, so I think when deleting stories, it's worth considering how much content you feel comfortable leaving for posterity.

Obviously you should pull anything you're reasonably sure you're going to edit, but I suspect that's not the case for many stories.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I just pulled everything that I think I could rework and publish in the future, leaving only one clownshoes goof and a bunch of stuff I don't want to touch again. I'll go back to add links.

I also want to help judge this week if it's not full up already.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

suck a duck lurkers :clint:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
:lol:

who would willingly read all these words just for fun

:iiam:

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 28, 2017

Aesclepia
Dec 5, 2013
Next verse same as the first.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

who would willingly read all these words just for fun

Your mom?

Seriously, I like this group of writers trying to make each other better and have fun. It's refreshing knowing that the feedback here is real. I liked the megabrawl, even if I got stomped because it got me into TD and that's pretty cool.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
The dome things that are good:
- A great community who seem like the type pay their bills on time and hold the door open for strangers and help old people cross busy roads. Being part of a healthy writing community is fantastic for improving one's craft.
- Honest feedback is best feedback. Crit groups where you have to 'sandwich the bad stuff between good stuff' and walk on eggshells is the worst, urgh.
- Kayfabe and competition.
- The extra caring touches, like the archives website, those old podcasts, the IRC channel. The dome is a Balfours meat pie, that stuff is the packet of tomato sauce and the old lady behind the counter doesn't even charge you the 20c for it (it's on me, she says, treat yourself).
- One of my favourite things was live-judging over Google Hangouts, I've been away for yonks and I don't know if that still happens.
- The blood.

The dome things that are bad:
- A bit of feedback from each judge after a round goes a long way and a solid feedback paragraph per judge per story is rad when it occurs but I wish it happened more.
- Those cycles where the shitposting got lazy and out-of-hand.
- There could be more blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

In with a sort of mushing together of horror with some sort of other genre fiction

"Anthony’s eyes bulged as we all watched, with languid, infinite slowness, his skull float across the cockpit."

apophenium posted:

In, Horror

"The blood that was dripping onto the parched floor resembled a Rorschach ink-blot test, invented in 1921 by Hermann Rorschach."

Solitair posted:

I also want to help judge this week if it's not full up already.

Welcome to the Lyttondome! We still have one judge slot open.

Also, thirty-two hours or so remain to sign up. Dehumanize yourself and face to bad sentences. (Ideally not horror sentences, because the pickings are getting pretty drat thin there. Future horror requesters may have to receive sentences from the actual Bulwer-Lytton contest, which are much longer and, somehow, infinitely worse.)

• Locked thread