Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Sacro posted:

Ya'll have bitched about the things I hate already but here's another asinine development decision that I haven't seen talked about : when you unlock an affinity tree node you have to open menu, go to character select, select a blade, go to affinity tree, and cycle to the blade that unlocked it and listen to their dumb voice clip and unlock animation. If you don't do this, the game doesn't consider the node unlocked yet. Why...

Yeah they throw in a bunch of these stupid JRPG anime cliches, like characters commenting on progress in the menu or when they get to a landmark, that I was hoping would be a thing of the past. Poppi is so loving annoying.

AND ARRIVED

AND ARRIVED

AND ARRIVED

ALL IN ONE PIECE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Momomo posted:

It's the opposite of this. I shoved 20 sweets down Nia's throat and Boreas got all four of his levels at once, but didn't his Noppon Wisdom check didn't give me the level until I looked at the screen.

Odd. Maybe it depends on the character. Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Louisgod posted:

Poppi is so loving annoying.

Mods?!?

Speaking of Poppi, can someone explain to me how her upgrade slots work? Like do they only affect one special/art each? Is it dependent on something else? I want to start using Tora again but I haven't done much with Poppi's mods in a long time, outside making sure all her forms have every slot unlocked.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Also speaking of Poppi, where in the world can I find a Technical Manual? Apparently I need one to change Poppi's element, and I haven't run across a single one.

I don't like the way the game handles Poppi. Tora's whole thing is that he only gets 3 Blades ever but don't worry you can customize them! Why, then, did they make it so difficult to do that?!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Silver Falcon posted:

Also speaking of Poppi, where in the world can I find a Technical Manual? Apparently I need one to change Poppi's element, and I haven't run across a single one.

I don't like the way the game handles Poppi. Tora's whole thing is that he only gets 3 Blades ever but don't worry you can customize them! Why, then, did they make it so difficult to do that?!

Because it’s a poorly thought out gimmick. I love Poppi and all, but until you get all her forms and all the manuals she isn’t very customizable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Silver Falcon posted:

Spoiler warning for locations and stuff

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HKkPoCbW0oO1JzV-hx21ueZMIjmWdboVh3vgSrlEwj4/htmlview?usp=drive_web&sle=true

Third tab

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I just ended up benching Tora for 4th at this point, as I haven't found too much for Poppi exploration wise and I am not doing Tiger Tiger.

It's pretty bad at this point though as Poppi absolutely cannot hold aggro on Rex or 5th even without pouch items and I am fearing that they may make a mandatory Tora battle soon (on Ch 6)

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Kris xK posted:

I bought a Wii for Xenoblade Chronicles
I bought a Wii U for Xenoblade Chronicles X
Will I buy a Switch for Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Yup.

Quoting myself because I'm a man of my word and bought a Switch yesterday so I could get my Xenoblade on.

Also, Pyra's breasts are ridiculously large, like original Tomb Raider large.

Other than that I'm enjoying it so far. Bit sad about no collectopedia or town affinity as the colloctopedia especially was very enjoyable for me in the past games.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kris xK posted:

Quoting myself because I'm a man of my word and bought a Switch yesterday so I could get my Xenoblade on.

Other than that I'm enjoying it so far. Bit sad about no collectopedia or town affinity as the colloctopedia especially was very enjoyable for me in the past games.

There is effectively town affinity, with development levels.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kris xK posted:

It's a combination of them being ridiculously oversized, even compared to the official artwork, and every cutscene putting them in the center of focus.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So since the patch is there no way to autorun anymore?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I auto-ran like yesterday.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

There is effectively town affinity, with development levels.

Oh excellent, thanks. The collection points/treasures seems to be replacing the collectopedia too, so I think I'm good.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Press ZR and hide the quest description. For some reason Y is also a shortcut for looking at quests.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ytlaya posted:

What does undoing those seals do? I did some wind one in Lefteria that had a pretty high field skill check associated with it and it didn't seem to do anything. Are they attached to a side quest?

It's end/post game stuff.

e:

IcePhoenix posted:

Play on easy mode so you don't take damage from walls and do stage one until you can get no damage + all treasure + all ether. It'll take a few tries but the stage is basically the same every time so you don't have to adapt on the fly.

What's the downside to easy mode, less ether and drops?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 28, 2017

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Evil Fluffy posted:

There's a period after your score. Other than that, no downside.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

One thing I really appreciate in this game is that it didn't do the thing 1 did where enemies that are like 5+ levels above you are extremely hard to hit unless you have high end accuracy boosting accessories. Killing level 82 bugs at 71 and the level 81 Territorial Rotbart at 74 are both extremely satisfying.

Still missing three rare blades though and at this point I wonder if I'll ever get them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The downside is nothing (as far as i can tell). It's just there to make your life easier.

IcePhoenix posted:

Speaking of Poppi, can someone explain to me how her upgrade slots work? Like do they only affect one special/art each? Is it dependent on something else?
Special enchancers obviously only enchance the special in question (1, 2 or 3 is listed on the slot). Arts cards are blade arts, and trigger like those do. Skill ram is always active like the yellow slots on affinity boards. It works exactly like affinity in general and you can tell what's comparable to what by which effects are sorted into which categories.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Amppelix posted:

The downside is nothing (as far as i can tell). It's just there to make your life easier.
Special enchancers obviously only enchance the special in question (1, 2 or 3 is listed on the slot). Arts cards are blade arts, and trigger like those do. Skill ram is always active like the yellow slots on affinity boards. It works exactly like affinity in general and you can tell what's comparable to what by which effects are sorted into which categories.

Thank you! I'm gonna start kitting the hell out of my Poppis tonight, a light core is the only thing I don't have that I want and I assume the ether I get from spending forever to get one will cover any crafting I need to do.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think you actually get more ether from easy mode :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 28, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

IcePhoenix posted:

Thank you! I'm gonna start kitting the hell out of my Poppis tonight, a light core is the only thing I don't have that I want and I assume the ether I get from spending forever to get one will cover any crafting I need to do.

Unfortunately Light Core is one of like 4 items you cannot craft.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

In Training posted:

Unfortunately Light Core is one of like 4 items you cannot craft.

Yeah, that's why I said that I'll be able to craft everything else from all the ether I get while trying to get the loving thing to drop :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ah I misread. Cheers

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's quickly and deservedly become a meme but god drat I still can't believe how bad the ardanian soldiers' battle cries are. Very loud, very obnoxious, very very repetitive. When you turn it down a bit the regular battle chatter becomes very ignorable if you want to buy not this, not ever.

Don't forget the mor ardanian grunt.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone tried making Nia/Four/Five into roles other than their default ones (once the chapter 8 mechanic for Rex opens up and you can remove their default blades)? In particular, I'm wondering if other characters are notably bad at healing in comparison. A quick glance seemed to indicate that Four/Five don't get much in the way of direct healing abilities from healing blade weapon skills, and instead just get the potion dropping skills.

I'm increasingly thinking Rex as healer might actually work fine, especially since his default blade still has a potion-generation skill and not all healing blades have direct healing skills. It would give me an excuse to use Nia as a blade.

One story/character-related thing - I wish the game romantically set up Four and Five. I feel like it would work fairly well, with them both basically being the adults (I think they're both in their 20s?) in a party with a teenager, a furry bozo, and a hundreds of years old blade who looks like a teenager. Despite being kind of goofy early on,
Five is actually generally fairly mature and serious when it's called for.

Oh, regarding the whole "you should only put blades on characters of the appropriate class" point; another reason to do this is because it cuts down on the weapon skills you need to invest in for that character. If you stick to a particular role, you only need to invest in 3 or 4 different weapon types, but if you hybridize you'll end up having to split your points among a bunch more.

Momomo posted:

It's the opposite of this. I shoved 20 sweets down Nia's throat and Boreas got all four of his levels at once, but didn't his Noppon Wisdom check didn't give me the level until I looked at the screen.

That is odd, because I'm 100% sure that you can't get "Do X damage with one attack" and "Do X total damage" nodes at the same time.

Pollyanna posted:

Because it’s a poorly thought out gimmick. I love Poppi and all, but until you get all her forms and all the manuals she isn’t very customizable.

While I agree it's not a very good idea, Tora/Poppi are honestly better than Four (at least until you get them 3 rare blades and fill most of their affinity charts or something) at tanking with a bare minimum of Tiger Tiger playing.

I use Four for the variety of being able to use the various tanking rare blades, but Tora is far more reliable as a tank, at least relatively early on.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I used Five as a healbot (2 healers + pandoria lets them help top the party off while maintaining stupid burst for chain attacks) first, then as an orb master bot (all they have now is a single 3-crown common blade with orb master). Switched over once I could hit damage cap off an 8-orb full burst even with them using a trash Blade. Killed all the postgame bosses that way.

Four is built as a dodge tank which is kind of a specialized role, especially with the two free dodge blades they get. Plus you need to itemize specifically for evasion if you go that route. I'd just leave then as-is and use them only for fights where you need constant iframes on the main tank only (orion, benf, dagmara out of the 7 postgame fights).

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 28, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Four's basic problem is that they need to itemize exclusively for evasion to achieve the same survivability Poppi gets pretty much for free, which means they can't do much damage, which means they can't hold aggro worth a poo poo in the AI's hands, which means why bother making them a tank to begin with? They're really good for dealing with specific bullshit tankbusters in the player's hands, but that means giving up on Rex/Tora's goku-level-dps.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i use the cool characters and tora aint cool

poppi is though, a shame

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Reiterpallasch posted:

Four's basic problem is that they need to itemize exclusively for evasion to achieve the same survivability Poppi gets pretty much for free, which means they can't do much damage, which means they can't hold aggro worth a poo poo in the AI's hands, which means why bother making them a tank to begin with? They're really good for dealing with specific bullshit tankbusters in the player's hands, but that means giving up on Rex/Tora's goku-level-dps.

I dunno, they hold aggro decently for me. I'll get big spikes if Rex does a ton of damage at once but i just use rolling slash and run for a bit.

Rex + Mythra + Nia + Orb Master / Morag + Bridgid + 2x Orb master / Zeke + 2x Orb Master is enough to destroy everything. Aegeon is awesome but Nia is the best water blade so I never use him.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
man i've got like 300 blades and one (1) blade with orb master lv.5 jfc

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

voltcatfish posted:

i use the cool characters and tora aint cool

Look at this wrong as heck opinion

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

All the characters are bad (or tremendously worse than when controlled anyway) with AI.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

All the characters are bad (or tremendously worse than when controlled anyway) with AI.

Make all three Poppi forms as meatshield tanks and Tora will happily sit soaking aggro and damage so the rest of the party doesn't have to.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah, the difference is that AI Tora will at least hold aggro, not die, and even poo poo out millions of damage during a chain attack if you build the poppis right, while AI Four can either hold aggro or not die--your choice. Though Orb Master is busted enough you can beat anything in this game with anything if you have it, at least at level 90+.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 28, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reiterpallasch posted:

Yeah, the difference is that AI Tora will at least hold aggro, not die, and even poo poo out millions of damage during a chain attack if you build the poppis right, while AI Four can either hold aggro or not die--your choice. Though Orb Master is busted enough you can beat anything in this game with anything if you have it, at least at level 90+.

Evasion Tanks are a stupid gamble, because it only works until they get hit. And then they go squish.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I got to chapter 3 and have no idea what most of these post are about. How important (or not) is it for me to have another blade on Nia/Rex at this point? I used two common orbs with some boosters and just got random garbage that I'm not sure why I'd use them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ChiTownEddie posted:

I got to chapter 3 and have no idea what most of these post are about. How important (or not) is it for me to have another blade on Nia/Rex at this point? I used two common orbs with some boosters and just got random garbage that I'm not sure why I'd use them.

Don't worry about it, keep sticking Blades on everyone. What people are talking about is something you don't need to think about for another 50-odd hours at least.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
This is all assuming postgame, when Tora has his third blade, his broken-rear end 50% crit/90% block chips, and you're bored enough to sit down and farm like 100k ether from tiger tiger. Before then, Four is way better than Tora. They get three blades to Tora's two, they get the driver arts canceling perk in the first tier of their affinity chart instead of the last, and moderate amounts of evasion are really easy to itemize for without losing dps.

I'd probably roll for something decent for Nia, but the story will eventually set you up for everything you'd want on Rex. If you can tough it out until chapter 4, there's a pretty easy way to farm Cores by salvaging there, and the game will give you a few more guaranteed blades from side quests around then.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You get so many common cores and boosters there's absolutely no reason not to use a few whenever you get full up on boosters. This way you'll also fill out the roster for random skill checks and such.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

wait, you can farm cores in Mor Ardain?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't worry about it, keep sticking Blades on everyone. What people are talking about is something you don't need to think about for another 50-odd hours at least.

Hah cool.

Also I'll admit they introduced Tiger Tiger and I said "oh for fucks sake" out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

voltcatfish posted:

wait, you can farm cores in Mor Ardain?

The Krabbles from the Port Salvage Point will always drop a Common Core, and have a high % to drop a Rare as well.