Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Landis defenders never seem to know the facts about what happened, like they heard some vague story about how some kids were accidentally killed and then he was just blamed because hey he's the director gotta blame somebody.

HE MADE A THING I LIKE JUST FORGIVE HIM

That's the usual defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

HE MADE A THING I LIKE JUST FORGIVE HIM

That's the usual defense.

I own American Werewolf in London and I watch it ever year, so I get the conflicted feelings there. Part of my $14 went into Landis' pocket, and I do think about that every time I watch it, and yet I still bought it and I still watch it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I know I partially helped with this but please stop talking about John Landis in here now. Talk about his lovely son and the sexual assault allegations against him.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

If you run a paper mill and go out of your way to hide frayed electrical wiring and defective fire alarms from safety inspectors, while also forcing your employees to work sixteen hour days in order to meet a quarterly quota, and the mill catches on fire and kills four people, you're gonna go to loving jail.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

I know I partially helped with this but please stop talking about John Landis in here now. Talk about his lovely son and the sexual assault allegations against him.

To bring things back to the original point like 3 pages ago, Max will never be one of those celebrities that easily gets sympathy or empathy from the public because they hate what his father did, and Max is in that same industry. So regardless of what you think about the accident, reality is reality. People don't like Max Landis.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GonSmithe posted:

Well so far we've exhausted that well since there's only the handful of tweets with nothing specific at all.

Anyone else get nailed recently?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Honestly it's as much Max's own attitude as anything else- that edgelordy hot-take-dropping sense of entitlement (as best shown by his... creepy interaction with Lexi Alexander) turned people off even before there were any allegations of specific bad behaviors. And that added to a sense that he was only where he was because of his dad, which is true- but there are a lot of showbiz people who started off with really good connections and DON'T leave that kind of impression on people, because they try to be nice. (Nicholas Cage, for example, worked hard to try and be taken as an actor on his own terms, which is why there's no "Coppola" in his name.)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

That and the fact that she came to that decision after sharing private emails with and taking the advice of some random nurse she met for 5 minutes.

That actually made me more sympathetic to Hamill's pregnant girlfriend as my female cousin went through a similar experience. Her boyfriend was an abusive prick who threatened the poo poo out of her when she got pregnant and drove her to the abortion clinic to force her to get one. She had to pretend to go along when she got there (dude was making all kinds of threats in the car ride there) but then told the nurse what was going on who let her call her mom. Her parents and her two brothers showed up and got her the hell out of there. Luckily my family is super close with each other so she's had a support network to protect her, and that dude has been long out of the picture. I couldn't imagine the kind of vulnerability and pressure of going through that alone or with people who are only looking out for their own interests and not yours.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Fart City posted:

If you run a paper mill and go out of your way to hide frayed electrical wiring and defective fire alarms from safety inspectors, while also forcing your employees to work sixteen hour days in order to meet a quarterly quota, and the mill catches on fire and kills four people, you're gonna go to loving jail.

but but but - what if the guy who ran the paper mill also made a really good quiche once? 35 years ago? what then huh?!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Len posted:

Well so far we've exhausted that well since there's only the handful of tweets with nothing specific at all.

The guy who ran Feral audio is shutting it down due to the allegations brought against him.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Len posted:

The man who wrote and directed Masters of the Universe got hit.

I’ll never be able to watch that wonderful film again 🙁

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Davros1 posted:

The guy who ran Feral audio is shutting it down due to the allegations brought against him.

This is actually pretty notable, because Feral Audio is the home of Harmontown and My Favorite Murder. And apparently the accused dude is blaming his behavior on self-diagnosed Borderline Personality Disorder and... podcasting being ruined by "the industry."

Okay.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
MFM hasn't been on Feral for a minute now, they got way too big too fast for Feral (they hit #1 on iTunes at one point).

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Landis caused that accident 40 years ago. How many people in this thread are even 40 years old?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

*raises hand*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bad day posted:

Landis caused that accident 40 years ago. How many people in this thread are even 40 years old?

Get off my goddamned lawn.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

35 years ago, not 40.

Also like someone else said, Max Landis already came off as a creep with the Lexi Alexander stuff.

I had no idea what Feral Audio was beyond being a podcast "thing" but I heard about that accusation as a fan of Potty Mouth :v: I'm a little surprised it's a big deal. The blogpost written by the accused appears to have edited out the parts saying he wants to shut down the site though.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I HAVE GOUT posted:

Liberals have a much easier time getting away with it because of in-group bias. Ya'll hate republicans so theres no reason for you to believe theyre innocent.
The President has like fifty accusers, dude.

Why would anybody defend Landis? He didn't make loving Harry Potter or Star Wars. Nobody's childhood is Max Landis-based enough to have a blind spot for him about accusations. I'm seriously loving floored here.

Fart City posted:

Do you live in America? The only crimes rich people go to jail for are crimes against other rich people.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

UnknownMercenary posted:

I had no idea what Feral Audio was beyond being a podcast "thing" but I heard about that accusation as a fan of Potty Mouth :v: I'm a little surprised it's a big deal. The blogpost written by the accused appears to have edited out the parts saying he wants to shut down the site though.

Too late either way. Harmon is jumping ship and taking a couple of people with him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah I mean Landis just comes across as someone who demands to be heard. Even after being told no.

Also, his thoughts that his AMERICAN WEREWOLF remake will have more to 'explain' about those locals in the pub who were clearly aware of the wolf stalking the moors is exactly what's wrong with modern screenwriting. The original movie explains everything that it needs to because that poo poo isn't important to the story.

Is what's good storytelling timeless and universal? Maybe what's important to the story to one generation is different from what's important to a previous generation.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I dare you to make the case that Max Landis is going to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead this poo poo with a straight face.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is what's good storytelling timeless and universal? Maybe what's important to the story to one generation is different from what's important to a previous generation.

I can't imagine anyone from this generation seeing that movie and being confused at that.

Like, this is the challenge with remakes, you do have to find some new angle on the material. But, well, try harder.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Landis' original idea was itself a twist on the more traditional werewolf films like The Wolfman and Curse of the Werewolf. That's what those guys at the pub represent, that pub is right out of a 60's Hammer flick. So figuring out a way to do a twist on a twist is probably not something I'm confident Max Landis will be able to pull off.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I can't find the post but I believe someone in this thread earlier said that "Call Me By Your Name" and "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" were evidence that Hollywood wasn't taking sexual assault seriously.

I just wanted to say that using those films as proof of that is absolutely laughable.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

TheNewt posted:

I can't find the post but I believe someone in this thread earlier said that "Call Me By Your Name" and "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" were evidence that Hollywood wasn't taking sexual assault seriously.

I just wanted to say that using those films as proof of that is absolutely laughable.

...because...?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TheNewt posted:

Both David Yates and JK Rowling doubled down on the casting of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald, and Yates literally can't stop talking about it, popping up every other month to tell reporters that "it's a dead issue." They absolutely did not give a poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Timby posted:

Both David Yates and JK Rowling doubled down on the casting of Johnny Depp as Grindelwald, and Yates literally can't stop talking about it, popping up every other month to tell reporters that "it's a dead issue." They absolutely did not give a poo poo.

If more stories drop about Depp--the chance of which nears 100%--they will live to regret that.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

wait what's wrong with Call Me By Your Name though?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DC Murderverse posted:

wait what's wrong with Call Me By Your Name though?

I think people were upset about the age difference between the leads.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Timby posted:

i mean, on the one hand yeah a relationship between a 17 year old and a grad student is not great but on the other hand *pthbbbbbbbbbbbt*

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

21 Muns posted:

...because...?

Because both stories feature relationships between adults and people under the age of 18. :confused:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There was also a good amount of unsolicited groping and touching in my recollection, but it’s okay because they ended up falling in love.

For real though, some of this stuff probably wouldn’t fly in a film about heterosexual people, particularly if it was an older men and a younger woman.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Well its been a few years (and i never saw it)
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1174732/?ref=m_nv_sr_2

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Vegetable posted:

There was also a good amount of unsolicited groping and touching in my recollection, but it’s okay because they ended up falling in love.

For real though, some of this stuff probably wouldn’t fly in a film about heterosexual people, particularly if it was an older men and a younger woman.

That's basically woody allen's entire career though.

TheNewt
Dec 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Well its been a few years (and i never saw it)
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt1174732/?ref=m_nv_sr_2

If you think that's the first book/film about youth being brought into society via a romantic/sexual relationship you really need to read more.

It's one of the most common tropes in fiction and appears in loving every single form of ancient Mythology not to mention the Decameron, Canterbury Tales, or 1001 Nights but also is common in Victorian and classic American Literature but pretty much every form of world literature from ancient Tale of Genji to the modern 100 Years of Solitude .

God help us is if they ever decide to adapt either of those to film.

The stuff is common in film too.

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016

TheNewt posted:

If you think that's the first book/film about youth being brought into society via a romantic/sexual relationship you really need to read more.

No one said it was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

There's an episode of the next generation where Q sends Picard back to high school, but still played by Patrick Stewart, his love interest is played by a seventeen year old and there is totally a make out scene.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What about Big? That whole romance subplot is kinda wack.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Patrick Stewart is currently married to a woman nearly 40 years younger than him! Now thats an age gap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
Every single one of us in this thread would marry Patrick Stewart, so no sense complaining that other people got to him first.