Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I bet you could get a lot of money being on the ground floor of some MLM gaming addiction treatment scheme. That would sell to Boomers like hotcakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Panfilo posted:

I bet you could get a lot of money being on the ground floor of some MLM gaming addiction treatment scheme. That would sell to Boomers like hotcakes.

How do I get my rear end in a top hat son out of my house? How much do I have to pay?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

Moneyball posted:

How do I get my rear end in a top hat son out of my house? How much do I have to pay?

A down payment plus monthly mortgage payments on a new house?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

please knock Mom! posted:

Part of the problem is that it's a multi billion dollar business to convince people doing unhealthy and wasteful things is actually Good, and that the change from lazy sack of potatoes --> active human being feels really bad for the first week or two.

Just combine your binge drinking with distance running and suddenly you’re in great shape

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

Ok, so Vital isn't the most evil thing out there but it definitely does qualify as an MLM and it is worrisome to me that a major financial player (Visa) is latching on to this kind of marketing. Mainly I just don't want to see a bunch of credit card recruitment posts on my Facebook feed alongside the relatives selling Stella and Dot/LLR/whatever.

I think it is a Visa network credit card, I don't think it's literally backed by Visa any more than any other Visa network credit card

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

uvar posted:

This person is too good with money.

Money is Appearing in my bank! No transaction + no deposit nothing on statement on wear it came from i did not even get a refund this day.?

This appears to have escalated

https://twitter.com/ap_oddities/status/946104663258083328

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Since when do they investigate this???

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
The latest issue of VIA magazine has an ad for a company that will help you exit your timeshare. Even with a team of experts you might not escape your timeshare.

The Fine Print posted:

Experience portrayed is not typical. Actual customer experience may differ, including that customers may not get out of their timeshares.

My guess is they just pressure other people into buying them from you.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

An actual honest-to-goodness Ponzi scheme making the Instagram rounds. Interestingly, I've seen this version with the pyramid filled in with stereotypical Hispanic names and another version with stereotypical African-American names and "street slang" ("hey girlfriend" etc) in the ad wording, so they're definitely targeting specific populations that might not be familiar with Ponzi schemes or know how illegal this is.

"This is not a pyramid scheme" *shows diagram of pyramid scheme*

This does get reported to local police departments as it pops up (even when targeting a naive audience, eventually a savvy person will see it), but it's harder to prosecute without knowing the actual persons or companies behind it. And I suspect that even if the originator does get prosecuted a new one will pop up right after.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

An actual honest-to-goodness Ponzi scheme making the Instagram rounds. Interestingly, I've seen this version with the pyramid filled in with stereotypical Hispanic names and another version with stereotypical African-American names and "street slang" ("hey girlfriend" etc) in the ad wording, so they're definitely targeting specific populations that might not be familiar with Ponzi schemes or know how illegal this is.

"This is not a pyramid scheme" *shows diagram of pyramid scheme*

This does get reported to local police departments as it pops up (even when targeting a naive audience, eventually a savvy person will see it), but it's harder to prosecute without knowing the actual persons or companies behind it. And I suspect that even if the originator does get prosecuted a new one will pop up right after.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

Just combine your binge drinking with distance running and suddenly you’re in great shape

And when you're dehydrated you'll get drunker off of less booze! GWM!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
This seems like some GWM advice:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

n8r posted:

This seems like some GWM advice:

Open bar, dancing, food. That's all a wedding needs. Doesn't even need a married couple as far as I'm concerned.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo - I have a wedding BWM I was just reminded of

I was at a wedding at some banquet place once and the wait staff came around and poured champagne for the toast

The bride's mother who was paying for everything flipped her poo poo and said "WE'RE NOT DOING THAT YET, GET THAT OUT OF HERE"

No one ever did the toast and all the champagne that was paid for was dumped

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TheLastManStanding posted:

The latest issue of VIA magazine has an ad for a company that will help you exit your timeshare. Even with a team of experts you might not escape your timeshare.

My guess is they just pressure other people into buying them from you.

My mother in law bought a time share in galveston of all places. She tried to sell it without getting our help because she was embarrassed to have spent money on it and then not have used it. Somehow, she tried to sell it and *ended up with a second time share*.

After we researched her options she finally just donated them to a charity that will deal with the headache of selling them and took a tax deduction.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Open bar, dancing, food. That's all a wedding needs. Doesn't even need a married couple as far as I'm concerned.
The married couple doesn't even really get to enjoy their own wedding so I kind of agree with this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am starting a wedding pyramid scheme where once you get 8 people married it then becomes your turn to have a wedding. I am also opening a divorce counseling service.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

kwinklesOFFICIAL posted:

After we researched her options she finally just donated them to a charity that will deal with the headache of selling them and took a tax deduction.

Did they write a donation receipt for the "value" of the timeshare, or for whatever fraction of that they managed to get rid of it for?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Did they write a donation receipt for the "value" of the timeshare, or for whatever fraction of that they managed to get rid of it for?

That distinction appeared with this case, where this guy allegedly was getting appraisals for inflated values for the sellers, then selling the timeshares on ebay after “donating” them.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-sues-shut-down-abusive-tax-scheme-involving-improper-deductions-donating

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

I am starting a wedding pyramid scheme where once you get 8 people married it then becomes your turn to have a wedding. I am also opening a divorce counseling service.

I think that's already existed. There was some kind of wedding club thingy maybe 10 years ago. I think it lasted a few weeks before going bust.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

EugeneJ posted:

Oh poo poo - I have a wedding BWM I was just reminded of

I was at a wedding at some banquet place once and the wait staff came around and poured champagne for the toast

The bride's mother who was paying for everything flipped her poo poo and said "WE'RE NOT DOING THAT YET, GET THAT OUT OF HERE"

No one ever did the toast and all the champagne that was paid for was dumped

I would have figured some drunk uncle would be in the back room chugging that down, I mean why waste it at that point?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Solice Kirsk posted:

Right - except that a big % of many weddings' cost is food/booze/entertainment so welp.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

n8r posted:

Right - except that a big % of many weddings' cost is food/booze/entertainment so welp.

That's true but it doesn't have to be exorbitant if you do it right. Getting beer/wine at Costco can be cheaper than an open bar and satisfy everyone's thirst just as well, and catering can be pretty competitively priced depending on where you go.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Weddings are low hanging BWM fruit, imo

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

You can wed my low-hanging fruit :boom:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think that's already existed. There was some kind of wedding club thingy maybe 10 years ago. I think it lasted a few weeks before going bust.

I'm pretty sure matchmaking/dating MLMs have been around for a while, though I can't think of any active right now.

And yes, there are horse MLMs too. Alva is based in the UK while Dynamite is in the US. I've heard Alva products are actually decent but Dynamite sells homeopathic remedies and colloidal silver and every kind of "holistic" bullshit under the sun.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

I'm pretty sure matchmaking/dating MLMs have been around for a while, though I can't think of any active right now.

And yes, there are horse MLMs too. Alva is based in the UK while Dynamite is in the US. I've heard Alva products are actually decent but Dynamite sells homeopathic remedies and colloidal silver and every kind of "holistic" bullshit under the sun.

This was actually some kind of wedding club thingy. I think you put in X, but had to stay married Y number of years to get your X + Z payout. Obviously they were planning to invest everything into mortgage backed securities or something and make a profit off the earnings.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's like, 90% of the cost of a wedding.... soo yeah you're spot on!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

That's like, 90% of the cost of a wedding.... soo yeah you're spot on!

Adding the word "wedding" makes those things like 50% more expensive as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Solice Kirsk posted:

Adding the word "wedding" makes those things like 50% more expensive as well.

GWM -- being able to charge wedding-specific prices for your services even if nothing is different.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Depending on the service offered though, isn't your liability much higher with weddings?

A catering company messes up a holiday luncheon for 200 people and they may be on the hook for some damages, but not the kind of damages associated with a $50k wedding. Even if you have an ironclad contract, that doesn't mean you're not going to court against highly motivated plaintiff. I've seen wedding photographers get sued for outrageous amounts of money (some justified, some not).

Higher liability, higher prices. Meth dealers operate in much the same way.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

GWM -- being able to charge wedding-specific prices for your services even if nothing is different.

Even if everything in a wedding were priced exactly like every other event, I daresay the average wedding would be the most expensive event most people ever pay for in their lives and between the "once-in-a-lifetime" and expensive nature of it, they let their inner children loose. Wedding pricing is a combination of event pricing, expedited processing, and pain-in-the-rear end tax. If you hired a photographer to follow you and your 80 closest friends around an amusement park for a full day and then expected awesome looking pictures in a month or two, you'd pay similar prices.

You might be the coolest, chillest person to ever throw an after-the-courthouse-wedding backyard BBQ. I, too, was basically married by a squirrel officiant with a snake and raccoon as my witnesses. The average person is a piece of poo poo with no empathy for other human beings on a good day, let alone when they actually want something. When money changes hands? It's over.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

WEDDING CHAT

JUST

DON'T

NOT EVEN ONCE A WEDDING CHAT

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
But my horses have been living in sin this whole time!!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ground floor opportunity here!

NOT A PYRAMID SCHEME

what two things do people love the most?

If you said weddings and horses then you’re already on your way to making BIG MONEY...

NOT A PYRAMID SCHEME

get in now, claim your horse-share and your wedding-stake then get 5 others to also get a horse-share and wedding-stake.

GET THOSE 5 to get 5 more people getting horse-shares and wedding-stakes...watch the happiness collect!

NOT PYRAMID SCHEME

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

spincube posted:

But my horses have been living in sin this whole time!!

My brother started an office job after years of "independent contracting" as a dj and bartender (the IRS tends to disagree with that classification) and started telling me and my husband at dinner on Christmas about this woman who can't stop relating every conversation back to her horses. He tried talking to her about his kids...you people know where this went.

My husband said my eyes lit up.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a gbs thread for wedding money chat, it's kinda buried in there

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Anyone posted this guy yet?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7mmt79/planned_my_life_around_my_paycheck_now_its_been/

quote:

Planned my life around my paycheck, now it's been significantly reduced and I'm about to drown.

In April I started working for a new company, a retail bank, as a personal banker. Every paycheck would be around $1400. I moved into a one bedroom apartment where the rent was $1300. Since this was less than one paycheck, it seemed great, especially since this is a great and safe area to live in. I was promised quarterly bonuses of $8000. While I didn't factor those in, I was looking forward to something in that area. I was saving $100 a week, and things were going great.

I also have a monthly expense of $240 to pay for a medical procedure I got done this year. I'll be paying that off for quite some time.

Plus there are utility bills, which come out to around $150/month.

Fast forward to today, turns out most of my pay was due to overtime. They hired extra help, and everyone got 40 hours flat. Now my paychecks are in the $900 range.

My quarterly bonuses, try as I might, are in the $200 range.

Not to mention I owe my sister $1100. She lent it to me at a repayment rate of $100/week so that I could pay off my roommate's security deposit. (I had to kick my roomate out for threatening to rape my girlfriend).

All month I've been using my credit card for everything I do, because rent money comes first and I couldn't take from that. I now owe about $700 on the card. I am planning to take the credit loss and repay the minimal amount every month until that cc debt is paid off.

Ultimately it seems like I bit off more than I can chew. My boss told me that this was a good idea because if I am hungry I will be more motivated to make more money. While at the same time cutting my overtime.

What can I do? Please help me. How can I make more money? Are there cool side jobs that you guys know of? Any ways to make some extra money? Or save money? I don't spend money on myself, all month I've been in an empty apartment because I can't even afford to buy cheap furniture.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Mmm that's the good stuff.

Drive for Uber and do taskrabbit in your free time, you know you want to you lil prole baby bitchhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait what. $8k quarterly bonuses? $32k a year in bonuses? For a consumer banker?

Also, $1000 a month in OT (after taxes). If they're making about 50k then that's like 24 a hour or maybe 36/hour for OT which means they'd be putting in as much as 40 hours a month in OT which is a lot at a bank. This isn't a Wal-Mart. They literally work banker's hours at a bank. There's only so much room for OT.

This feels like a ringer. Like now we're going to hear about this great new part-time business opportunity that's open to him and anyone else who might be interested. But hurry, spots fill fast.