Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Until you learn the map and where things are (since they never change in survival) go up on rooftops if you see a way up. There's usually good poo poo up there.

There will always be some kind of loot right by the starting safehouses. If it's tools run back inside and craft an exmag, comes in handy later and you can only craft them at safehouses on the edge of the map, further ones in won't have the option.

I recommend running some PvE first so you can learn the map without having to worry about getting ganked by other players. You do have to worry about them stealing your poo poo though, so if there's someone else nearby just grab things and inspect them later.

If you go down to gunfire you can revive yourself with a medkit, but if you are taking cold damage at the same time you're just dead and can only be revived by someone else so watch your temp gauge. Warm up whenever possible so if you get caught in a fight you're not taking extra cold damage.

It takes 3 blue tools and 3 blue cloth to make a basic+advanced filter. Do this asap. You can run the DZ with crappy weapons but you can't even get in until you have at least a basic filter. Also don't upconvert all your poo poo to gold and then realize you can't make a filter (you'd be surprised how many new people do this).

Enemies have terrible detection radius in survival, so if you realize there's a gold right by you then just take cover and don't move. They'll hear you before they see you. I've had them walk not 3 feet by me and I got away because I stayed quiet. Conversely if you do get spotted and aren't in good shape to fight run the hell away, they don't chase you very far.

If you are unlucky and can't find a lot of electronics, at least make a pulse so you know where the baddies are. Pulse and turret are my goto skills.

If you are on PS4 and want to try survival you can add me, I'm MosquitoJones. I love survival and run it all the time so I'm happy to show you the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i'm all about survival, too, it's Division when it's at its best, so do hit me up on the ps4 as well. i'm lolnumbers

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I still need 4 Hunter kills in survival so I'd love to tag along with someone who doesn't suck at it, because I'm awful at Survival.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Knifegrab posted:

don't be afraid to completely avoid fights.

I think this is the biggest part of being successful in survival. Don't take fights unless you know you can win them quickly. In the early game you will freeze if you have a long drawn out firefight.

Take a minute to find a hideout and craft some upgrades/skills before trying to tackle a landmark.

Sneak past enemies that aren't worth your time or will be too costly to engage. If you're walking instead of sprinting you can usually just cross on the other side of the street and enemies won't detect you. Take a second to look around before you open fire to make sure you won't have additional enemies on your flanks. Also don't gently caress with purple/yellow mobs if you don't have decent gear.

When it comes to crafting resources, you don't have to memorize exact spawns but there are some sensible loot spawning rules you can remember when you're running around the streets:

Medkits and medicine tend to spawn around fire trucks/ambulances.
Weapon parts can often be found near police vehicles.
Construction sites usually have toolboxes.

You can convert Divtech into any kind of crafting resource. I only have a few Divtech spawns memorized but I bee-line to them every time I make it to the DZ so I can use them to craft high end weapons and fill in gaps in my gear. There are many Divtech locations you can reach for little to no risk once you know your way around them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I feel like I just have garbage luck... outside of that GE, I haven''t found a single piece of Classy Gear, and I've gotten a LOT of Gear Set caches and green caches from the DZ at this point. The fact that even in the GE the chances were relatively slim of you getting a piece (<50%) and you need to collect a full 6 pieces from a table of what? 8 different Classy sets? Means it's inordinately difficult to get a set, and from my solo wanderings of the DZ where I got murderated by multiple groups of people with full classy sets, tehre is just no way a regular person can hope to compete with them.

Am I just dumb and bad at this? I've been doing HVTs, doing group funruns in DZ06-09, been running Underground missions and doing the Dailies and Weeklies, even did a few Challenging Incursions and ran around the WSP doing dailies and alerts on my own... 0 Classified Gear pieces, excluding a piece I found in the DZ last night which I THINK was classified, I didn't have enough time to really check since we got murdered by Rogues right after.

What activities have the best chance for Classy poo poo? Am I just hosed if my friends never want to play Resistance/we aren't geared well enough to survive it? It seems like the whole game is balanced around a stalemate setup where you either need to have super maxed out/almost perfect non-classified gear (which in itself is almost as difficult to get/RIDICULOUSLY time consuming if you optimize) OR at least one classy set to be able to do the stuff that would actually get you more Classy stuff. This means if there's no GE running to give you an alternative method of amassing Classy poo poo, you're basically at a glass ceiling and can get hosed until another GE. Am I way off base? Starting to get pretty frustrated making basically zero progress on any of my gear night after night since the GE ended.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Just because a blue or purple item drops it's not automatically better than the green stuff you have.

A purple electronic chest is not better than a green stamina chest when you have no skills. Always aim to have at least 100k toughness.

Craft the Custom M44 and a yellow holster as quickly as possible when you get to the darkzone.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sandweed posted:

Just because a blue or purple item drops it's not automatically better than the green stuff you have.

A purple electronic chest is not better than a green stamina chest when you have no skills. Always aim to have at least 100k toughness.

Craft the Custom M44 and a yellow holster as quickly as possible when you get to the darkzone.

Speaking of the chest with elec vs stam, how does armor work? Usually the difference in the armor stat between a purple and a green is huge.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Sandweed posted:

this is rarely - rarely - the case. Stat distribution like you're mentioning doesn't really matter with green/blue because your stats are poo poo no matter what. By the time you get all purples and then gold gear from a DZ safehouse you can start to care about it, but higher base stat ranges, more mod slots, higher armor and so on are generally worth your time in Survival even if you have an overly high whatever stat.

about the only time I'd consider not wearing a gold over a purple is if they were gloves with MMR damage because of the m44. and even then, eh

e: there is a case for wearing deliberately worse gear to deconstruct the higher tier stuff for more crafting mats, but if you're worried about stat distribution for greens and blues, you probably don't do that

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 27, 2017

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
What are basic caps/recommendations for Firearms/Stamina/Electronics?

I don't need exact numbers but just a guideline. I'm running 4pc nomad & 2pc striker if that makes any difference.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Speaking of the chest with elec vs stam, how does armor work? Usually the difference in the armor stat between a purple and a green is huge.

Excuse the perhaps confusing terms but Toughness on the main stat screen displays your effective overall health but it is not your actual health. Toughness is a calculation made from your actual health and damage reduction. Damage reduction can come from armor, but also can come from skills (such as smart/mobile cover) or talent buffs (like the "kill enemy while moving" talent) and your Toughness will change as these buffs are applied or run out. You can see your actual health before damage reduction is taken into account somewhere on the list of stats on the Character screen.

I don't know the actual numbers on how much damage 1 armor reduce but basically, in Survival, more Toughness is king until/unless you can spend the resources on trying to get the stats you want or split the difference by crafting firearm/stamina/electronic mods. There are a few other factors to consider, probably the most important factor in PVE Survival is if a piece of gear has the Damage to Elites on it, but more Toughness until you can craft yellow armor is the best thing to have.

Basically look at your toughness. If you've got a purple piece and are replacing a blue piece, is your toughness going down? You may not want it then. Check its stats (Quickly! You're dying!), does it have Damage to Elites and do you still want to clear any pre-DZ landmarks? That might be worth losing a bit of toughness. Will it unlock a talent on your gun that could make a difference (Ferocious or Destructive, for example)? That might be worth losing a bit of toughness. But overall, toughness is best.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 27, 2017

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Veritas posted:

Is there a quick guide to survival somewhere? I remember reading one, but don't remember if it was a post by someone with some tips or actual 'guide'.

So I'll post a video and a website for you to understand then I'll give you the premise, things to remember, and what I do most games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8eZjO5OwY

http://www.divisiontips.com/guides/Survival/SurvivalGuide.html

So the premise of survival is that you were taking a helo to midtown Manhattan to get some antivirals and your helo crashed. Your mission hasn't changed but your circumstances have. After the crash you stumbled to a safehouse and passed out. When you wake up you find that you have an infected wound and need to get to the dark zone to call in an extraction chopper. For gameplay purposes your infection timer is how long you have to get out of your current survival instance (it's not smallpox btw). But you still have the antivirals to extract so your optional mission is to still retrieve them.

Thus your objectives are:
1. Survive and extract
Optional #1: Retrieve antivirals
Optional #2: Kill DZ enemies and collect caches to extract with

Changes from base game:
[*]You start with green/uncommon gear and a pistol.
[*]Health does not automatically regen out of combat
[*]Consumables have different effects
[*]Cosmetic items now function to keep you warm. Better protection means you can stay outside longer. Once your temperature bar depletes (upper right) you will start losing health.
[*]Skills must be crafted before you can use them. No signature skills (recovery/survival/tactical link).
[*]Unless you pick PVP, the game is purely PVE even in the DZ. Likewise PVP is pvp for the entire map.
[*]You can now use med kits to revive yourself from a downed state but not an unconscious state. You have to use a med kit to revive yourself or another player unless you use a support station's revive ability (go to the station and hold X). If you are freezing and you go down I'm pretty sure you will immediately go unconscious. Don't worry though since someone can revive you for up to 5 minutes after you go unconscious.
[*]Contamination has been changed into 2 levels: General DZ contamination and contaminated areas. Basically there are 2 levels of filters. I'll talk about that later.
[*]Material conversions have been simplified for all levels i.e.: 3 green fabric = 1 blue fabric, 3 blue weapon parts = 1 gold weapon part; 1 div tech = 1 gold crafting material

Consumable items:
Painkillers and medicine - stops the infection timer giving you more time to play. Has diminishing returns i.e. Medicine #1 = 5 mins, Medicine #2 = 4 min 30 sec. Separate diminishing returns for both items
Canned food (++) and energy bars (+) - Enhances your ability to regen health out of combat. Canned food works better and longer than energy bars. You can get some passive regen without it but once you get the Hungry status you will not regen health unless it's a med kit, first aid, support station, or health on kill perk.
Soda (++) and water (+) - Enhances your ability to find lootable objects. Basically gives you a full time Recon Pulse so you can see lootable objects through walls, the fog, and snow. If you get the Thirsty status it will be difficult to locate these objects and they won't light us as lootable even when they're close by.
Med kits - You start with 1, can hold up to 2, and can craft a pouch for a 3rd.

The first thing you should do when you start in your respective hideout is to gather the painkillers in the medical bag and the 1 green fabric from the fabric box. Go to the bench and craft a piece of cosmetic clothing. Take the painkillers to stop your timer. Open your map and find out where you are. The starting hideouts will be on the perimeter of the map but can go as high north as 52nd and 9th in the NW and 38th and FDR Drive afaik.

Leave the safe house and follow your route. You can head to the nearest helicopter crash icon but typically other people are heading there and will take the gear before you. My goals at this point are to find weapons besides my pistol and start collecting what I need for filters and skills. If you feel that you really need a new gun or thermal clothes then craft something but there are plenty of resources between here and the DZ that will allow you to make what you need. You'll get used to the game world and will be able to save all your supplies for important stuff eventually.
When you find something new and know it's better, learn to use Y/Triangle to equip it right away instead of using the inventory menu. Saves time plus you don't have to stand out in the cold. I also try to prioritize stamina and firearms because electronics is so laughably low at low gear scores that you're better off being able to shoot and take damage rather than use your seeker mine with a 50 second cooldown to kill something. I'd suggest certain routes but this is something that you have to learn on your own.
Important: Take meds and painkillers as soon as you hear 'infection detected'. If you don't have any, make sure you take them as soon as you find them. They are always in medical bags but sometimes enemies drop them.

Critical supplies:
2 blue fabric, 2 blue tools - basic filter (gets you into the DZ)
1 blue fabric, 1 blue tool - advanced filter (allows you to survive in red contaminated areas) - you will go unconscious if you do not have an advanced filter and your filter runs out.
2 blue fabric, 2 blue tools - med kit pouch
2 gold weapon parts, 1 div tech - flare gun - This will be important for the DZ but not now.

Skills (what I usually make):
3 blue electronics - pulse
3 blue electronics, 1 med kit, 1 blue tool - support station or first aid
3 blue weapon parts, 1 blue tool - turret
You can also make a ballistic shield (recipe? :shrug:) to add to your toughness but you can only use a pistol.

One other thing is that crafting recipes get better as you get closer to the DZ but you might also lose access to lower level recipes as you get closer. For instance the second ring of hideouts allow you to craft VX-1 scopes and extended magazines but as you get closer you will lose these recipes. Sometimes hideouts will have limited skill crafting recipes.

So you have filters, guns, and and are pretty insulated against the cold? Great! Head to the DZ. DZ entrances are snowed over so the only way you can get in is through the one way entrances - the ones where you have to climb over the fence. There are 3 on the west and east sides. Once you enter the DZ you will get a notification that your antivirals are somewhere in the DZ. Open your map and it will probably be a magnifying glass or DNA icon. First thing though is to get some div tech and start crafting some better guns. Div tech has moved considerably from the non-survival DZ although there are some locations that are the same. More importantly you get 2 div tech per box instead of 1. Off the top of my head there are 48 div tech boxes in the survival DZ. You can also get div tech from your antiviral box and from killing bosses.

Once you have some div tech head to the DZ hideouts (same as the non-survival DZ) and craft some weapons and gear. Before you start crafting I would make sure you craft the med kit pouch if you can because you can't craft the med kit pouch with gold materials. Also once you're in the DZ all skills have a new gold material recipe just in case you only have gold materials. Most people here suggest a workhorse weapon - G36, ACR, PP-19, M60 - and an MMR particularly the Custom M44. Each weapon will take 3 gold weapon parts, 1 gold tool, and 1 div tech. If you have the supplies available I would also suggest you make your flare gun now as well (see above for the recipe). People also suggest making a gold holster (3 gold fabric, 1 gold electronic) because it has 3 main stats and can roll nimble for healing during combat. If you are short any crafting material you can convert div tech on a 1:1 basis.

At this point you're basically done. Keep in mind the requirements for survival are to just get to the DZ, craft a flare gun, and extract. But let's assume you're going to get your antivirals and clear some landmarks. First things first, go get your antivirals. Next, open up the map and find a landmark to clear. The majority of the landmarks are inhabited by Rikers and LMB so be careful. When you kill a landmark boss he will drop a Survival cache. Survival caches are the best way to get gear out of the DZ because they contain 4 high end/gear set items and about 20 birdcoins. You can carry 6 caches with you out of the DZ (no multiple extractions, you're actually getting on the helicopter.)

Caches in the DZ:
Gear set cache - 2 high end or gear set armor items
Weapons cache - 2 high end weapons
Mods cache - 2 high end gear or weapon mods
Survival cache - 4 high end or gear set items

Extraction can be tricky. You may have noticed running around that you'll occasionally get distortions in your UI. The first time you see it you'll think nothing of it then you'll extract and realize it's because someone's been following you. These are the Hunters and the first time you encounter them you'll poo poo a brick because they are tough as gently caress with the clown suit that you're wearing. Hunters spawn with 2 weapons of 2 different classes (MMR/SMG, AR/LMG, etc) and 2 skills from a pool: First aid, support station, seeker mine, sticky bomb, and turret. They also spawn with 3 med kits.
Once you go to an extraction point and pop your flare gun, make a beeline to the perimeter of the extraction zone. Once the 'disrupted' status effect wears off try to use pulse to locate the hunter. From here you can try to burst them down or as most people do try to double headshot them with the M44. You cannot run away from your hunter. If you go to another extract they will respawn there. The extraction chopper will not land unless all hunters at the extraction are dead. Each player in the area will spawn a hunter. With all that said there is one easy, cheesy way of taking out hunters and that is to call an extract at the DZ02 extraction and immediately run north to a rope across the street and climb up to the roof. From here you can head glitch and shoot down on your hunter. This is complicated if there are multiple hunters because they will line up on the roof and turn you into swiss cheese so be careful.

One last thing - there's this link https://the-division-map.com/ where someone has made an interactive survival map with the locations of consumables, gear, weapons, everything basically. But it can feel like cheating since items are not random. If you go to a location there will always be the same items. Also, as I've said before, the guy who made the website might be using your processor to mine bitcoins so... :shrug:

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 27, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I feel like I just have garbage luck... outside of that GE, I haven''t found a single piece of Classy Gear, and I've gotten a LOT of Gear Set caches and green caches from the DZ at this point. The fact that even in the GE the chances were relatively slim of you getting a piece (<50%) and you need to collect a full 6 pieces from a table of what? 8 different Classy sets? Means it's inordinately difficult to get a set, and from my solo wanderings of the DZ where I got murderated by multiple groups of people with full classy sets, tehre is just no way a regular person can hope to compete with them.

Am I just dumb and bad at this? I've been doing HVTs, doing group funruns in DZ06-09, been running Underground missions and doing the Dailies and Weeklies, even did a few Challenging Incursions and ran around the WSP doing dailies and alerts on my own... 0 Classified Gear pieces, excluding a piece I found in the DZ last night which I THINK was classified, I didn't have enough time to really check since we got murdered by Rogues right after.

What activities have the best chance for Classy poo poo? Am I just hosed if my friends never want to play Resistance/we aren't geared well enough to survive it? It seems like the whole game is balanced around a stalemate setup where you either need to have super maxed out/almost perfect non-classified gear (which in itself is almost as difficult to get/RIDICULOUSLY time consuming if you optimize) OR at least one classy set to be able to do the stuff that would actually get you more Classy stuff. This means if there's no GE running to give you an alternative method of amassing Classy poo poo, you're basically at a glass ceiling and can get hosed until another GE. Am I way off base? Starting to get pretty frustrated making basically zero progress on any of my gear night after night since the GE ended.

You don’t NEED Classy gear to do most content. Remember that until the last GE there was barely any Classy sets in the game. There are lots of fun Ninja Bag builds and other 4 piece builds and since Classy gear has higher stats it’s still good to find along the way. The best way I’ve found to get a Classy set I want is to run group stuff and tell my companions what I am looking for (I wanted Reclaimer) and giving anything I find that’s not what I’m looking for away. With that quid pro quo, I managed to get my set while helping a bunch of other people get theirs.

Pretty much everything has a small chance of dropping Classy so sharing the RNG between 4 people is the beat way to go. Meanwhile, finding builds that make you happy now is best. I’ve had the most luck in the DZ clearing landmarks but also found stuff in the UG. And if the slow drip drives you crazy you can always wait for the next GE. The plan is monthly rotation of GEs that will repeat and so we’ll get our chance to grab stuff we missed every 1/3 year.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You know what, something they could do to make Survival a bit more exciting is exactly what they did for Underground, more Hunters. I don't mean spawning 2 of them for a player at an extraction or anything like that but the possibility of one spawning after clearing a landmark or maybe just randomly in the street once a player has reached a Gear Score threshold.

Edit: I should add RE: the current Hunters if you kill one at an extraction but miss the helicopter for some reason (maybe you died from bleeding or went to revive someone) you will not get another Hunter spawning at the same extraction. You will only ever spawn 1 Hunter per extraction zone.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 27, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Red Mundus posted:

What are basic caps/recommendations for Firearms/Stamina/Electronics?

I don't need exact numbers but just a guideline. I'm running 4pc nomad & 2pc striker if that makes any difference.

it really depends on build but figure about 7k+ in the main, 4k in your secondary, whatever you can get in the last. Classified is just higher numbers.

you want enough in your various stats to activate weapon talents (why I suggest 4k secondary) and then you have a main and a dump stat, usually.

probably FA main, stam secondary for you.

doingitwrong posted:

You don’t NEED Classy gear to do most content.1/3 year.

You don't need classy to do any pve content. It's a nice bonus, absolutely, but that's it. I'm not sure what pvp looks like to say whether or not it's "required" there.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 27, 2017

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
:woop:

Finally finished the skill kill commendation today. 7500 was pretty tough going, but a turret and sticky bombs works wonders. I haven't seen anyone else with the patch yet so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psion posted:

it really depends on build but figure about 7k+ in the main, 4k in your secondary, whatever you can get in the last. Classified is just higher numbers.

you want enough in your various stats to activate weapon talents (why I suggest 4k secondary) and then you have a main and a dump stat, usually.

probably FA main, stam secondary for you.

You don't need classy to do any pve content. It's a nice bonus, absolutely, but that's it. I'm not sure what pvp looks like to say whether or not it's "required" there.

If its DZ PVP against organized manhunts I'm betting its a good chance you'll be fighting against Classified gear so it'll matter more in there but Last Stand and I believe? Skirmish is normalized to regular gear levels (ie. 1272 max in a stat, though the 5 and 6 piece bonuses can still be activated I think) so everyone is on the same level in that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Shoren posted:

:woop:

Finally finished the skill kill commendation today. 7500 was pretty tough going, but a turret and sticky bombs works wonders. I haven't seen anyone else with the patch yet so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Handsome or get hosed. :colbert:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

You know what, something they could do to make Survival a bit more exciting is exactly what they did for Underground, more Hunters. I don't mean spawning 2 of them for a player at an extraction or anything like that but the possibility of one spawning after clearing a landmark or maybe just randomly in the street once a player has reached a Gear Score threshold.

Edit: I should add RE: the current Hunters if you kill one at an extraction but miss the helicopter for some reason (maybe you died from bleeding or went to revive someone) you will not get another Hunter spawning at the same extraction. You will only ever spawn 1 Hunter per extraction zone.

I'd like to see randomly spawned hunters roaming the entire map in Survival. Would add a layer of randomness to shake things up and really put the fear back into me. I'd also like to see better rewards since it doesn't seem to be worth running anymore. Can you even get classified gear from Survival caches?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My only issue with survival nowadays is that you need to set aside a good hour or two to make the most of it, where the other content can be chipped at through shorter bursts.

Fantastic mode but becoming increasingly difficult to settle down with and play.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for all the tips and posts. Haven't done survival since it first came out, i've extracted a handful of times but that's about it. Looking to dip in again since i always thought it was a col game mode.

On PS4, will most likely hop in later this evening.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

You don’t NEED Classy gear to do most content. Remember that until the last GE there was barely any Classy sets in the game. There are lots of fun Ninja Bag builds and other 4 piece builds and since Classy gear has higher stats it’s still good to find along the way. The best way I’ve found to get a Classy set I want is to run group stuff and tell my companions what I am looking for (I wanted Reclaimer) and giving anything I find that’s not what I’m looking for away. With that quid pro quo, I managed to get my set while helping a bunch of other people get theirs.

Pretty much everything has a small chance of dropping Classy so sharing the RNG between 4 people is the beat way to go. Meanwhile, finding builds that make you happy now is best. I’ve had the most luck in the DZ clearing landmarks but also found stuff in the UG. And if the slow drip drives you crazy you can always wait for the next GE. The plan is monthly rotation of GEs that will repeat and so we’ll get our chance to grab stuff we missed every 1/3 year.

Yeah, I've been doing well with an Urban MDR + 4x Sentry's + 2x Striker + 2x Tactical via Ninja bag setup thus far, though my ninja bag had a mediocre roll on it (good skills, though) so I've been dumping Divtech into it to level it up. So far I've probably dropped about 500 into it. The MDR has decent skills, too. That's my main group build, when I run solo I swap out the Sentry's for 4x Reclaimer for the better bag and survivability, the Sentry build is stacked into Firearms (just under 6k) while the Reclaimer is stacked into Tech (just over 5k). Then I have a just for fun group build that instead uses 4x Firecrest to burn everything. I'm having fun with the setups, and I feel relatively effective, especially in groups, but yeah... the lack of meaningful progress on the gear front can be kinda disheartening.

Does the DZ drop Classy stuff at all?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Bosses can drop them and green caches can have them.

I really recommend running a tight DZ7 Loop. Start at opera and go clockwise. By the time you clear the Mall, opera should be back up. Most of the landmarks there have multiple named enemies.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Sure does.

I got 1 or 2 classy pieces from LZ world bosses earlier today. Just keep it at man, they'll drop soon.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Bosses can drop them and green caches can have them.

I really recommend running a tight DZ7 Loop. Start at opera and go clockwise. By the time you clear the Mall, opera should be back up. Most of the landmarks there have multiple named enemies.

I can't solo landmarks in the DZ yet, plus on PS4 the DZ is super active with lots of Rogues, especially up there. Definitely will look into it next time we group in there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Assuming the odds haven't changed since last I saw them, its a 3% chance for any Classified item to drop from a Named enemy and I think a 1% chance for them to drop as a bonus item in gearset caches. There's also a 1% chance for them to drop as a bonus item from Field Proficiency caches. Don't know about any other caches.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
Well I got another House from my weekly survival cache. It came with Hurried and Vicious already on it, so the hard part was determining which of them to roll off since I was going to use it with my classified Nomad set. That extra 10% crit chance is pretty nice with Nomad's overheal bonus... but it lost out and I threw responsive on there.

poptart_fairy's right though, survival is really something you need to set time aside for. I mainly run it for the weekly cache (do the flare gun drop cheese because gently caress running that poo poo twice a week if I don't have to) and because it is at the point where I've got the mode down to a science.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Fuzz posted:

I can't solo landmarks in the DZ yet, plus on PS4 the DZ is super active with lots of Rogues, especially up there. Definitely will look into it next time we group in there.

What's preventing you from clearing landmarks? Last we saw you were running a balanced 4 nomad/2 AB set up with an Aug and M1A with a M700 Tactical and a P416 in reserve.

Also what's your DZ rank?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
I have to say, if you're Gearscore 256, you can solo DZ landmarks. But maybe you just need a bit of confidence, practice and a base strategy for dealing with the landmarks.

First up you need a route you're comfortable with. A few people have recommended the DZ07 landmark circuit which is a good run but I'm still way more comfortable with DZ04. The DZ04 Circuit I run starts from The Eastern DZ04 entry, head south west to the Refueling Zone landmark in DZ03, then the eastern subway boss, the DZ03 extraction point boss if there is absolutely no activity, western subway boss, up through the Arch Plaza Landmark ( stopping at the safe house if I need ammo ) the to the contaminated zone just past the DZ04 extraction point. By the time the you've cleared the contaminated zone the Refueling Depot should be ready to go again.

All of those encounters can be pretty hairy solo, and your survival requires you to be able to clear a site as fast as hell. My personal experience has been with 4pc Predators Mark ( and like a specialised backpack and accomplished kneepads ), 4pc Strikers ( with same ), 3pc Predators Mark + 2pc Strikers + Ninjabag and 3pc Strikers, 2pc Predators Mark + Ninjabag. In the end I had most satisfaction out of my 3pc Pred + 2pc Striker + Ninjabag although I'm sure the 3pc Striker would be better on paper DPS. With all of these outfits I relied on Conceal Pulse, Recovery Link and First Aid ( Booster Shot in my case ), and of those Conceal Pulse is your skill you can never be without ( more on that in a moment ). Say you're running with a 4pc Nomad though? You can drop the First Aid for a crowd control ability that will help make up for your lower DPS. I personally recommend Flashbang ( with +sticky bomb radius performance mods ) because you can paralyse the biggest threats in any given Landmark with a low skillpower investment and lower the immediate risk to you. I used to use Gas Seekers back in the day but I find that a little less reliable ( although the bug when you could gas hostiles by running up to them was handy as gently caress ). I'm using Conceal Pulse and Flashbang with my 6pc Strikers.

Your biggest enemy is other players and I cannot stress enough how cagey you have to be. Life is easier once you've got yourself a route that you know like the back of your hand, and you always want to be able to bug out in a moments notice ( so don't get tunnel vision ). You need to watch the kill feed like a hawk, pay attention to the distance ( and keep an eye out for the kill marker on your radar ), as once you've gotten your head around the various DZ landmarks around you, you can get a handle on where the hostile activity is at. You don't need to be Conceal Pulsing all of the time, but if you find yourself flashing white you need to hit that Conceal as soon as it's ready because somebody has just Pulsed you. Treat all players as hostile, but that doesn't mean you do the sizeup shuffle when you run into them, that means you bug the gently caress out like you've just dropped smokebombs. I don't like abilities that give your position away so I don't really recommend the support station, seekers and turrets, but it's damned handy at giving away other players when they do it. Keep an ear out for audio cues, the sound of a player switching weapons or readying a skill travels a fair distance and is a far better warning than Isaac suddenly piping up and telling you that a player has gone rogue in your vicinity. Go for contamination events ( They aren't super popular, you can tell if another player is trying them nearby and Nomad should make them manageable ) and even supply drops, but don't be afraid to bail as soon as you get whiff of another player in your vicinity ( they'll probably try and steal the drop while you're occupied or just go rogue on you ) - just make sure you land a few shots on the named boss and come back later.

Now it's probably confirmation bias at this point, but Short Fuse at the Refueling Depot has been a real winner for me with regards to classified drops and exotics - if you get lucky just nab the desired loot,` fill the rest of your pack up with trash if need be ( but I prefer hitting up all of the caches for all that division tech ) and then extract at the DZ04 extraction point. I like to hang out on bottom of the staircase on the eastern side after I've summoned the chopper - if there are players about while you're waiting it out you'll have plenty of warning and opportunity to book it and head to an alternative extraction ( I like the DZ05 West extraction point as my secondary ) or chill out back at a safehouse / DZ entrance.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Psion posted:

this is rarely - rarely - the case. Stat distribution like you're mentioning doesn't really matter with green/blue because your stats are poo poo no matter what. By the time you get all purples and then gold gear from a DZ safehouse you can start to care about it, but higher base stat ranges, more mod slots, higher armor and so on are generally worth your time in Survival even if you have an overly high whatever stat.

about the only time I'd consider not wearing a gold over a purple is if they were gloves with MMR damage because of the m44. and even then, eh

e: there is a case for wearing deliberately worse gear to deconstruct the higher tier stuff for more crafting mats, but if you're worried about stat distribution for greens and blues, you probably don't do that

If you mindlessly just equip every blue gear item that drops you can easily end up with no stam pieces and then you are dead.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just hit level 30. What do I do now? :confuoot:

Other than finishing the main story that is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Finish up story and start moving up the World Tiers, when you hit level 30 it'll toss you into WT1 and you're able to select higher ones as your gear keeps beefing up, up to WT5 at the max.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
What would be the recommended ways of getting better gear, as a fresh level 30? Buy, craft, DZ... ? Should I just finish the story and not worry about it?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

pigdog posted:

What would be the recommended ways of getting better gear, as a fresh level 30? Buy, craft, DZ... ? Should I just finish the story and not worry about it?
Finish the Story first. Complete all of the side missions. Fully upgrade your Base of Operations. Join a buddy who is already World Tier 5 so you have access to the highest level gear right away. From there the end game is your oyster. You can run the hard & challenging daily missions ( you should easily matchmake into a group running one of these - once you're WT5 ). You can get to work on completing the weekly challenges, you can start gathering target intel at all of the lightzone safehouses ( look for the one that has a highlighted search & destroy icon for extra intel ), you can jump straight to DZ, you can round up all of the recordings you've missed ( after you hit level 30, your experience goes toward a reward cache ).

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
How many hours do you guys have in this game? I've got 110, and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Twat McTwatterson posted:

How many hours do you guys have in this game? I've got 110, and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.
According to DivisionTracker I've only got about 2 and a half months across 3 platforms and multiple characters

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Well I feel much better about my 18 days.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I've got 211 hrs right now.

Roman posted:

According to DivisionTracker I've only got about 2 and a half months across 3 platforms and multiple characters

:eyepop:

Brine
Aug 3, 2007
64 days and some amount of hours. I think you can knock off 1/4 to 1/2 of that because it was back when the game was terrible.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Roman posted:

You're my hero.

The core gameplay of this game is just so loving good. You can just suck up hours and hours of time so quick and easily. Shooting bad guys is just always satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Why doesn't that loving tracker have now many Lex runs I've done?